Does anyone have any idea what Wilfork is actually asking?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Does anyone have any idea what Wilfork is actually asking?

Let me preface this by saying, while I certainly understand his value well, it's hilarious to see an athlete with a circle for a body who picks up two sacks (at best) per season command tens of millions of dollars the way Wilfork is.  Oddly enough this type of "athlete" is in very high demand.

In terms of what type of contract you think he expects I'm going to guess they'll try to lock him up for 7 years (until he's 34) with the seventh being that Willie McGinest year where the Pats opt out or try to renogiate.  If they are offering $7 million per on average then you're looking at $42 million and maybe $25m is guaranteed.  Any other thoughts here?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Does anyone have any idea what Wilfork is actually asking?

Based on Jenkins and other NTs.  I am guessing he wants more than that.  He is better than the other NTs that have gotten that in the past and with more 3-4 teams around the position is in greater demand.  I think if 7 per was the deal, he would be signed already.  I think he is trying to up the market a little for NTs to 8.5-9 per with 30 being upfront.  And even with the 2 sacks u point out, he is worth every penny.  Do you remember what our D looked like before Mt Washington came here?  The year we didnt have a true NT?  We were run on all day long.  Wilfork wont get the flashy stats like sacks, but he changes the other teams whole offense.  A great NT almost singlehandedly ends any runs between the tackles. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

when it comes to stats,wilfork is in the middle of the pack.but when you can have a guy requireing two players to occupy him,its a good thing.I think with both of these cases,his asking price really shouldnt be a bank breaker.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Let's see, we could guarantee Wilfork tens of millions of dollars, or we could pay him nothing and keep the 340 lb nose tackle we just drafted for 2nd round money.  What could the team that let go of Lawyer Milloy, Drew Bledsoe, Deion Branch, Willie McGinest, Matt Cassel, Asante Samuel, and Mike Vrabel be planning?  Anyone?

By the way, his body is a sphere, not a circle.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I think Wilfork is a great player, but these salaries are insane.  If the Pats were to get multiple high quality veterans on defense and a #1 pick from some team for Wilfork, I would have no problem with that trade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

I've read a lot of posts on Wilfork and contrary to what most people are saying I think they should pay him and a lot. This team used to be a defensive jugernaut and if you watch rebroadcasts of the 2003 season you hear a lot of commentary about where is the next Pat coming from to sack the QB. I can't remember the last time the Pats were a scary QB pressure threat. Ted "Mount" Washington made them awesome against the run and teams had to throw into the teeth of a great secondary. I'm not sold on a second round rookie replacing Wilfork and no one else should be. I believe in BB's ability to keep the Pats competitive year after year and I would even advocate dumping Seymour but he HAS to step up for Wilfork. He can franchise this guy but then the only heavy lifting he'll do is for Bob's Furniture. Pay him, renogotiate whatever just get it done.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Or the Patriots could designate Vince Wilfork as a franchise player for 2010 and pay him the average of the five highest-paid defensive tackles, which is a pretty cheap deal for the Pats.  If Wilfork still objects, they could then trade Vince to Kansas City for a second round pick. 

By the way, if his body were a perfect sphere, they could roll him backwards.  That tactic doesn't seem to work very well with Wilfork.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

2009 non-exclusive franchise player costs by position
    PositionCost
    Quarterback$14,651,000
    Offensive Linemen (includes Offensive Tackle, Offensive Guard, Center)$8,451,000
    Wide Receiver$9,884,000
    Running Back (includes all Fullbacks and Halfbacks)$6,621,000
    Tight end$4,462,000
    Defensive End$8,991,000
    Defensive Tackle$6,058,000
    Linebacker$8,304,000
    Cornerback$9,957,000
    Safety$6,342,000
    Kicker or Punter$2,483,000

Seems that D Tackle is a good position to franchise.  If the Pats and Wilfork can't work out a deal this off-season, the Pats can keep him for this year and then put the franchise tag on him.  He would still have value in a trade situation next off-season if he's still unwilling to sign a deal the Pats can live with and by then they should know if they have his replacement (Ron Brace) ready to go.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tedyaz22. Show tedyaz22's posts

whatya think he's asking for Duh mo' money!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Thanks for the data, Bobomul.  Zbellino pointed out that the Pats should draft positions that command a high salary and acquire through free agency the cheaper positions.  So why have we spent high draft picks on safeties? And tight ends?  And a running back?  And now a defensive tackle?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

"And now a defensive tackle?"

Nose tackles make really good money. Ask Wilfork within a year...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from horrifying. Show horrifying's posts

Being very close to the cap limit, the Pats may not have enough rooms to accommodate the salary demands of Wilfork and Mankins. I wonder whether Brady again will restructure his contract to help out. It may be good for him for tax purposes to spread out the payments.  And he is certainly in no need to worry about money. Just read on Yahoo news that Mrs. Brady is again the highest paid fashion model in the world. She made over 25 millions dollars last year. No wonder Tom was carrying her purse. It was too heavy when it was so loaded with cash.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

[QUOTE]Let's see, we could guarantee Wilfork tens of millions of dollars, or we could pay him nothing and keep the 340 lb nose tackle we just drafted for 2nd round money.  What could the team that let go of Lawyer Milloy, Drew Bledsoe, Deion Branch, Willie McGinest, Matt Cassel, Asante Samuel, and Mike Vrabel be planning?  Anyone? By the way, his body is a sphere, not a circle.
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

This is the first time I have seen anyone correct someone elses geometry on BDC.  Funny.

Good point also.  Every position has a value in BB's system.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

teams are going to have to be careful about franchising players if there's an uncapped year. You know there will be at least 4-5 teams that will give outrageous short term money to positions and that will drive franchise player costs way up. Won't affect Wilfork for next year but they're probably not going to be able to franchise him multiple years without spending huge cash.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I've heard Vince say multiple times that "fairness" and staying a Patriot are his priorities.  I think if you throw out the Haynesworth contract, which probably skews the pay scale for DT's (thanks again Redskins for overpaying--as always), the next logical starting point is Jenkins.  Is Wilfork better than Jenkins?  I think so.  So is somewhere north of Jenkins money fair to both sides?  Seems fair to me if they can agree to years.  

That being said, it takes two sides to negotiate.  And the Pats have shown that they will play that game of chicken with their free agent players.  Not saying winning at chicken is the best strategy, but at least they're consistent about using that tactic with most players, with the exception of Seymour a few years back.       

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The only people who know what kind of deal Wilfork wants are Wilfork, his agent, and the NE Patriots. Anything else is just speculation. And whatever we give him he is worth every peny. It is not easy to find a pure NT as good as Wilfork is in the pro's. And Wilfork is the best 3-4 NT in all of football so we will pay him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from noncallcity. Show noncallcity's posts

Killa & all: I think Big Vince is over-rated and the D-Line has let the team down, regardless of Richard's injuries. If both Vince and Richard require 2 blockers each, as is often said, wouldn't we be a much better defense? I mean, 2 or 3 guys to block 4 or 5?
    I don't know all the cap cr*p, but I don't recall Vince making a lot of plays or even clogging things up. No penetration and often pushed back into the backers. I recall tackles from behind, after runners break the line. "Pure" NT or not, good players make plays. His intimidation (punk?) factor is pretty attractive, but his jawing without backing it up s*cks (they looked foolish trying to intimidate the Giants in the SB.
    Don't sacrifice on a decent player, even if he knows "the system," when it looks like we can work it just fine. Mike Wright has always made plays and maybe they add more stunts to free people up. Players will become available, even if in the draft next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]Let's see, we could guarantee Wilfork tens of millions of dollars, or we could pay him nothing and keep the 340 lb nose tackle we just drafted for 2nd round money.  What could the team that let go of Lawyer Milloy, Drew Bledsoe, Deion Branch, Willie McGinest, Matt Cassel, Asante Samuel, and Mike Vrabel be planning?  Anyone? By the way, his body is a sphere, not a circle.
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

more like a prolate spheroid

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

noncall, the tape does not lie, anyone who watches tape on Wilfork can clearly see it takes two guys to block him. You act as if people dont have evidence to prove how good Wilfork is but we do. The tape does not lie, Fork might not make all teh big plays but he takes up two blockers on almost every down and he is always pushing the pocket. He does exactly what he is asked to do. If you expect any one on our D line to have a 10 plus sack season you are watching teh wrong team, Bill belichick does not care about stats all he cares about is winning and that is how he coaches his players so you will never see a big time stat maker on this defense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i think we should start talking with him about our wanting to sign him long term (6-7 million per year for 5 seasons) but not draw up a contract with him till aftertraining camp to see how good brace is.  If brace is good enough we offer wilfork 2-3 year contract for 6 million per if he doesn't take it we franchise tag him next season and let him walk for the 3rd round compensation (compensatory pick the following season).  I love wilfork and he is an amazing player but 7 million is alot of money and we are kinda strapped for cash next season with all the starting players who will become FA (wilfork, seymore, warren, bodden, the ghost, ect.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The only thing holding up the contract is the lack of a CBA in place next year. The Pats are being careful about contracts with the possibility of a uncapped year looming in the future. Once they have a better idea of what is to come in the enxt few years they will get a deal done.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

The easy answer.  More then the organization is willing to pay.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I'm not against paying the guy, in fact I'm 100% in favor of resigning him, I know whatever they give him will be well worth it. 

However, I just will never be able to understand the concept that he draws two players on the line to block so that is his value.  What is that doing exactly?  Ok, it frees up linebackers to blitz - but where are there?  It doesn't seem to pan out quite as advertised in reality.  Ted Washington was, granted, the anchor of an incredible D.  But that D also had an incredible run stuffer in Ted Johnson along with Bruschi, Phiffer, Willie and Vrabel in their prime.  I almost see keeping Brace and going all out for another massive pass rusher so we could put AD back in the middle as a run stuffer with great pass rushing skills.  Just seems like pressure up the middle is route a lot of 4-3 teams are having success with and we're only getting it from Saftey blitz packages.  Just my two cents.

And, yes, he is a sphere!  You are correct.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from achie. Show achie's posts

[QUOTE]Killa & all: I think Big Vince is over-rated and the D-Line has let the team down, regardless of Richard's injuries. If both Vince and Richard require 2 blockers each, as is often said, wouldn't we be a much better defense? I mean, 2 or 3 guys to block 4 or 5? I don't know all the cap cr*p, but I don't recall Vince making a lot of plays or even clogging things up. No penetration and often pushed back into the backers. I recall tackles from behind, after runners break the line. "Pure" NT or not, good players make plays. His intimidation (punk?) factor is pretty attractive, but his jawing without backing it up s*cks (they looked foolish trying to intimidate the Giants in the SB. Don't sacrifice on a decent player, even if he knows "the system," when it looks like we can work it just fine. Mike Wright has always made plays and maybe they add more stunts to free people up. Players will become available, even if in the draft next year.
    Posted by noncallcity[/QUOTE/

What? Wilfork overrated? and Mark wright makes plays and VW doesn't?  Which patriot team do you watch on sundays? IF so why isn't wright the starter? The redskins OVERPAID (read OVERPAID) Haynesworth. The Jets OVERPAID JENKINS. Manigini was just trying to develop the potent patriot defensive front with the Jets and it still didnt work.  VW is way more effective than those two ovarpaid NTs. Recall when VW was drafted, he had to come from the bench  behind that NT (cant recall his name) who finally ended up in Miami. The new Kid is not ready. The Pats will pay VW and loose either Jarvis green or Seymour. Just watch!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

im hearing he is seeking 7-8 million a year.which i think is reasonable.

Sections
Shortcuts