Does Chaos Theory Explain BB's Strategy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arxaquila3. Show arxaquila3's posts

Does Chaos Theory Explain BB's Strategy

Ok, I admit this may be far-fetched but bear with me.  There is no pattern to this Pat's season.  Players like Sanders were kept on the bench while other less talented players were on the field.  During some games, TB pitched the ball mainly to Aiken.  Other games to Welker. Meanwhile, Moss took to sleepwalking since he knew the throws weren't coming his way.  More important, the intensity that TB had about winning was missing most of this season.  Used to be when the Pats were down in the 4th qtr, TB would come off the sidelines survey the DL, bark and wave at his OL to shape them into the right formation and make a first down. Now he looks uninvolved.

Did this start out as a BB strategy to avoid repeating 2007 by showing his hand too early. When the Pats lost in the AFC in 2006 and the SB we knew the defensive line had suddenly aged.  But the losses this year are totally unpredictable. One week the team looks sharp, the next it folds and looks embarrassingly inept.  I agree that the play calling accounts for most of this as does the constant rotation of players on/off the field and changing their positions as if we were still in preseason mode.  Veterans were retired or traded and other veterans were brought onboard.

But if there is a purpose to this madness, and I think it more than a remote possibility, then the resigning of Junior Seau in mid-season makes good sense. Junior Seau would be expected to be a steadying influence in the locker room who could help keep the younger players from unraveling under these conditions because if there is a masterplan in BB mind then only a chosen few would be privy to it.  Junior said "BB has a plan" when he said sayonara to the bullring and I believe him.

Now the question is "If you sow the seeds of confusion, do you confound the opponent or do you demoralize your own team?".     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Re: Does Chaos Theory Explain BB's Strategy

woah.  thats a bit far out there.  i do have a theory of my own that he rested Shawn Springs with the intention of keeping him healthy for this time of year.  Fred Taylor also seems to be getting it together now too. 

this team is ready for battle.

Brady to Moss PLAYOFF TIME.  try to stop us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Arxaquila and ALL:

I sincerely hope it's your "Chaos Theory" idea, and N.E. hoists the Lombardi when all's said and done, YET imho I think Belichick recognized this as a MAJOR rebuilding year, Out with the old, In with the new: Harrison, Vrabel, Bruschi...gone.   Belichick wants to at the very least, have a competitive team each and every year, BUT BB had to recognize the signs of losing such huge guys to Free Agency and having so many older players.  SO perhaps, Belichick in recognizing Vrabel, Bruschi, Harrison, Asante, being gone and Brady coming back from such a major injury, JUST did enough to be competitive as always: 

Belichick spent/focused on mediocre rentals of aged vets like Fred Taylor/Joey Galloway/Derrick Burgess, along with short term rentals of cheap role players like Greg Jennings/Alex Smith/even Bodden was cheap.  AND in the Draft, Belichick traded down into lower rds in this past draft to keep the salary cap "unbloated"...rather than picking up 1 single Clay Matthews or 1 single Beanie Wells.  BB instead, early got positions that devalue in skill quickly: 1 CB, 1 Safety, and an NT (that might just have to do IF we lose Wilfork).  THEN BB spent the remainder on decent O-Lineman, and a couple DTs, Positions of which there's usually still value in the middle rds.  FINALLY, He secured 3 second rd picks in the upcoming 2010 Draft, along with N.E's first-rder, In order to get 4 Good "Skill" Positions in the same manner he did this year... Personally, with the Raider's and N.E.'s own 1st rder in 2011, Belichick can either get that last 2 pieces, like the next young Richard Seymour (another example of "out with the old") and possibly a Brady replacement IF he's worn out by then (TB won't last forever), OR Belichick might simply trade down into early Rd 2 in order to get 3-4 Skilled Players once more. 

~Perhaps that's the thing, and Belichick doesn't do what most other Franchises do in having a Contention Run, Then a few to several rebuilding seasons...BB Builds for Dynasties...the long term future, and all the while attempts to be a Competitor (not an easy thing)...  I know this has become as complicated as your "Chaos Theory", BUT seriously, maybe this is Belichick's intention of simply always giving his current team a Lombardi chance, BUT having a very practical and acute awareness that THIS 2000's Pat's Dynasty has ENDED, AND now it's time to build/stockpile for a future Entire Dynasty, In a good 3 year plan, rather than trying to salvage this current team with 1 or 2 good high-priced/high-picked players, ALL for 1 single last Championship Year, realizing that after THAT, N.E. would have perhaps 3-4 Good Impact Players, a bunch of nobodies, a bloated Salary Cap, Brady and Moss near or At Retirement, AND a he!! of a sorry looking future for several years (what MOST teams stupidly would do)...

~Kinda therefore makes sense, unfortunately to the detriment of THIS year, that He would let Vrabel go for nothing really, And not care too much about losing Asante Samuel the year prior, And also Get what he could still get for Richard Seymour although it would forsake our Defensive Front for a year or maybe 2.  And then it would make even MORE sense for BB to cut ties with 2 Last aging and expensive vets, Adalius Thomas/Vince Wilfork, NEXT year, even though it would seriously wound our OLB/NT outlook in 2010, BUT it would be a good thing for the fielding of the next Dynastic Team after in 2011/2012 at the latest (after N.E.'s and Oakland's picks are cashed in for the final pieces)...   Anyway, there's my new theory...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

My question is that if NE is "rebuilding" then what do you call what happened in Indy this year?

I mean they are playing with 2 brand new WR. 2 rookie corners, a back up safety, rookie rb and thats just the players I noticed.  They end up with a 14-2 record.  I know its just regular season, but I believe that they are doing a similar thing out there.  Maybe not to the extent that NE has but it still shouldnt be an excuse.

Bottom line is that this team doesnt know how to win this season when it counts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

My question is that if NE is "rebuilding" then what do you call what happened in Indy this year?

I mean they are playing with 2 brand new WR. 2 rookie corners, a back up safety, rookie rb and thats just the players I noticed. 

The Colts also signed and put in the starting line up a guy from the Arena League at RG, sat their 2nd round pick (LT) for a jack of all trades, had to cut the DT they expected to start and lost a starting LB. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I have said this several times in various front burner posts, but here is one more-  Tom Brady is alot of the offensive issue.  Not all, but alot.  Matt Cassel threw a better ball in the last half of last year than Tom has for the past few years.  He refuses (or our offensive plan does not contain) to throw the sideline out and "jump ball" that made Randy Moss's reputation, so he is largely a threat without real teeth.  We have survived on the craftiness of welker, now that is over.  I do agree Bill B is looking at "reloading" on defense, some on offense, and maybe coaching staff?  We sure seem to need it.  But I have not understood ANY of his decisions, I do believe he is headed somewhere with them, he always is, but it is a total head scratcher to me.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFutureNow. Show TheFutureNow's posts

IBWT

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

I'm confused as to why people would think the coaching staff should have pulled out all the stops in a meaningless game. Why would we give the ravens staff anything to prepare for?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

~See, This is ALL part of Belichick's 3-year-rebuilt-Dynasty Master Plan by giving the Colts a false sense of security...  Rather than me coming to terms with Oscar Wilde's quote, In the lose of Vet leaders over this year's detriment (Vrabel/Seymour), and getting hodge-podge, cheap and beaten-up Free Agent crummy weapons for Brady (Taylor/Galloway), and renting and/or throwing away MULTIPLE draft picks for 1-year rentals/nominal role players BB didn't even keep half the time (Burgess/A. Smith/Philly-Minn's WR?), and FINALLY passing on Spending on/Drafting SEVERAL good Players that would have bolstered a run at the Lombardi THIS year for NO great reason (FA-Gafney/Draft-Wells, Matthews, Nicks and a few other WRs that are now playing well), I'D LIKE TO BELIEVE That THIS Is ALL Bill Belichick's Genius Grand Scheme in order to completely overhaul this team in as short a time possible in his mind, As He gears up for not 1, but 3-4 MORE Lombardis beginning 2-3 years down the Road...

~...never said my thesis was a great theory I happened upon at 4 a.m. in the morning, but it DID help me sleep better last night.  Ahhh, taste that Kool-aid for breakfast this morning...delicious.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

@Laz....hahaha....at least you have a theory thats worth thinking about.  I want to believe that BB knows exactly what he is doing, but as a fan this is frustrating.  We are seein none of the traits of those championship runs.  I know that the game has changed and has become more pass friendly, but BB made his bones on defense and so far this defense resembles nothing BB represents. 

I also put alot of this on Brady and whoever is calling the plays on offense.  Brady has been running this offense since 2001 and you mean to tell me he doesnt have any say so on the plays thats being called.  IMO, he is trying to relive 2007 and none of that has been effective this year.  He does not have the same talent he had back then so they should go back to the playbook when he had Givens, Branch and Patten.  Three no.2 and no.3  recievers.  They used to get the job done.  No screens, No TE's, just focusing on WW underneath and big plays to Moss. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

~Patsfaninsatx...Not only is some strong form of drink (or simply-drinking heavily) recomended after a game loss where a key player goes down too, But the greatest thing about the Blue-Bill-Belichick-"Mistake-free" Mix followed by Red-Patriot-Passion-Punch "Lombardi-theory" Truth-Tea chaser, IS That NOT Simply is it a remedy for blindness, but it also cures scurvy and most, but not all forms of athlete's foot... 

Sections
Shortcuts