Does helmet color make a difference?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BillRussell42. Show BillRussell42's posts

Does helmet color make a difference?

Watching the Patriots - Browns game yesterday, I was struck by how much more visible the Browns' players were because of their bright orange helmets, compared to the drab silver ones of the Patriots. That has to have made the Browns players easier to spot for their QB, and given them a small advantage.

I wonder if there have been any studies on this? Of course if both teams wore brightly colored helmets, it would be too confusing. But one team bright, one dull, that has to make a difference. Specially on dull hazy days.

b

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Re: Does helmet color make a difference?

Remember when Miami came out with the bright wrist bands for the receivers.  I think that was an innovation at the time. 

Skill players should wear bright gloves now that so many players wear gloves.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

By the same token, the dull color could make it harder for defenders to pick up on those players. Visibility is a two way street in football, eh?

I've always wondered about the psychological effect of color. Red is supposed to bring out aggression and blue is soothing. Did the Pats old red unis prompt more aggression from the opponent, and are the new cooler colored unis making the bad guys slightly more docile?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BillRussell42. Show BillRussell42's posts

That's not my point. What I'm trying to say: if the helmut colors had been reversed in that game, would Brady have had more completions, and the Browns less? My guess is yes. 

Bill

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

By the same token, the dull color could make it harder for defenders to pick up on those players. Visibility is a two way street in football, eh?

I've always wondered about the psychological effect of color. Red is supposed to bring out aggression and blue is soothing. Did the Pats old red unis prompt more aggression from the opponent, and are the new cooler colored unis making the bad guys slightly more docile?

Babe, Do you have an avatar with the white away jersey?  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

Babe, Do you have an avatar with the white away jersey?  :)

Heh heh, never liked the away jersey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

The new uniform and helmet design (imagine opponents trying to follow players behind the LOS):

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

I've read that black helmets are faster, stronger, can jump higher and have chin straps twice the length of other helmets.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

In response to BillRussell42's comment:

That's not my point. What I'm trying to say: if the helmut colors had been reversed in that game, would Brady have had more completions, and the Browns less? My guess is yes. 

Bill

Maybe if the Browns helmets came with the browns receivers!Laughing The Pats O was pretty weak for most of the game...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I've actually thought about this.  I'm not sure, I think it could make a difference in the ability to see players more quickly.  Its certainly noticeable when watching the TV when they show that angle behind the QB.  Although even if a QB could more easily see his receivers it wouldn't necessarily be an advantage if he was less able to identify the proximity to defenders.  

So, next year I want the Patriots offensive players to have fluorescent pink uniforms and helmets and the defensive players to have turf green.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I'd love to see the patriots change to blue helmets

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

There must be some connection to certain colors for D and O. It may not be the helmet but the jersey color???

we know some colors Crete aggresion and some create docility. there must be some connection with colors to being able t pick up receivers or D players during the game..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The real question is why the Browns' helmets are orange.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Red is the way to go....

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/05/0518_050518_redsports.html

A study based on some martial arts competitions at the 2004 Olympics and Euro 2004 Soccer Cup shows that teams/competitors wearing red get a boost in even matches, whereas the colour has no effect when it is a lopsided game.

Sections
Shortcuts