Does Mallett get traded this year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Does Mallett get traded this year?

I know, I know....we went thru this last spring but somebody had to start the thread....

Well, he does likely walk after this season so is it now or never?

If he leaves what is is real value?

If O'Brien want him in Houston would Houston's pick in the 3rd get it done?

If Mallett does not get traded is it a sign Brady is headed down the road sooner than later?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Does Mallett get traded this year?

It's now or never. I suppose he could resign, but it would seem unlikely he's content with no shot at starting for however long 12 is there, which could be three or more years.

It helps that the draft is very weak for QBs and at least six or seven teams in need. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

call me crazy (many here do) but I did not see hardly any evidence of regression in TB this year. he certainly has a good 2-4 years at top level IMO.

I saw a stat on TB the other day, wish I remembered it completely, but he had 70 throws of 20 plus yards, of which 55 were misses, but of those 55, 9 were dropped, and 40 plus were deemed WR at fault on pattern/adjustment/read....something like that anyways.

I am disappointed the PAts were never able to establish value in Mallett. I saw a great talent in the summer, that if TB went down, I would feel a lot better than I was with Cassell...but I see no way the PAts pay him, and he stays after his contract. makes drafting a QB a decent priority this year

I really did not want to "waste" a draft choice of need on a CB (assuming Talib is not signed) and a QB, because after Mallett there is nothing. much prefer the draft address TE, both lines and S, not CB and QB 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I agree, Brady is not retiring any time soon. I have no idea if this is right, but my guess is he wants to outlast PM.  And PM isn't quitting any time soon either.

Cassell is out there again, just bring him back for a year. Nobody is bringing him in to start. That ship has sailed. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Have you actually seen Mallett play?  He's not that good.  Granted it's only been preseason and he's been playing with 2's and 3's but that has no bearing on his poor passing Precision and Accuracy.  I just don't see any of the other teams valuing him any.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Have you actually seen Mallett play?  He's not that good.  Granted it's only been preseason and he's been playing with 2's and 3's but that has no bearing on his poor passing Precision and Accuracy.  I just don't see any of the other teams valuing him any.

[/QUOTE]

The Pat's were asking a low 1st or high second pick for him last year...no takers...

We spent a 3rd on him so it's reasonable no to simply try to get the 3rd rounder back?

Not a big risk for a team to give a third I would think.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Why in the world would anybody give anything decent for Mallet? Because some homers here claim he's good?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's now or never. I suppose he could resign, but it would seem unlikely he's content with no shot at starting for however long 12 is there, which could be three or more years.

It helps that the draft is very weak for QBs and at least six or seven teams in need. 

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this

except this year is actually a pretty strong draft for QB's. Last year was a very weak draft for QB's. Last year was the year to sell if we could have. A large number of teams looking for a QB and basically no good ones in the draft or FA. This year though there is Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, and Carr who are most likely 1st round picks with Boyd and Mettenberger as fringe 1st 2nd round picks. 5 QB's in the first 2 rounds means that no one will offer a 2nd for Mallett unless they have connection with him (ie O'Brien in Hou). But, even still I think the best we can get is Hou's 3rd

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this

except this year is actually a pretty strong draft for QB's. Last year was a very weak draft for QB's. Last year was the year to sell if we could have. A large number of teams looking for a QB and basically no good ones in the draft or FA. This year though there is Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, and Carr who are most likely 1st round picks with Boyd and Mettenberger as fringe 1st 2nd round picks. 5 QB's in the first 2 rounds means that no one will offer a 2nd for Mallett unless they have connection with him (ie O'Brien in Hou). But, even still I think the best we can get is Hou's 3rd

[/QUOTE]

I'd be happy with Houston's third.

You know way more draft-wise than me, I don't watch much college ball. Just going by what I've heard. Which is there's no franchise guy, all have major questions.

I know this, if I'm at the top of the draft, am I taking Johnny Football? Heck no. I saw enough of him to steer well clear. Maybe if he fell to the third round somehow...Bridgewater looks like a bag of bones, really slight. That doesn't mean he can't play just worry about durability. Bortles, I have no idea. Ditto Carr (although the bloodlines give me pause). Never heard of the rest of them.

Are any of them franchise guys, possibly?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why in the world would anybody give anything decent for Mallet? Because some homers here claim he's good?

[/QUOTE]

Why would any team give a #1 for Bridgewater.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this

[/QUOTE]

You know way more draft-wise than me, I don't watch much college ball. Just going by what I've heard. Which is there's no franchise guy, all have major questions.

I know this, if I'm at the top of the draft, am I taking Johnny Football? Heck no. I saw enough of him to steer well clear. Maybe if he fell to the third round somehow...Bridgewater looks like a bag of bones, really slight. That doesn't mean he can't play just worry about durability. Bortles, I have no idea. Ditto Carr (although the bloodlines give me pause). Never heard of the rest of them.

[/QUOTE]

At the combine Johnny Football will have his height and weight verified....we'll see.

Bridgewater is very thin....we'll see....

I believe Bortles is now believed to be the first QB off the board.

So if O'Brien likes his QB's big...

He knows Mallett...

A 3rd is really no biggie...2nd round NFL picks have only a 50% sucess rate in the NFL, 3rd rounders even less.

So Houston gives up the 1st pick in the 3rd for Mallett but still keeps it's #1 for Clowney, keeps it's number 2...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah they all have question marks but all have talent. Think Mallett talent without the white powder issue coming out of college. If not for the white powder Mallett was a 1st round pick with upside same with most of these. Manziel was certainly helped by Wilson. The one thing is Bridgewater is the best of the lot and I'm not even sure he'll be a top 5 guy. Top 10 most likely but no chance Hou takes him with the 1st and even though the owner is in love with Manziel I can't see Hou taking him. Maybe moving back to get him but no shot of them taking him with the #1. Clowney should be the pick for very good reason. Clowney and Watt together, now you are talking winning the SB with you D provided you can find a game manager (if I was BB I'd be doing everything possible to say how great Mallett is in understanding game time decisions). Does anyone else think Hou maybe took a page out of the Colts handbook this year? How do you go from a playoffs team to the worst and a single player could possibly turn you into a SB contender? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

At the combine Johnny Football will have his height and weight verified....we'll see.

Bridgewater is very thin....we'll see....

I believe Bortles is now believed to be the first QB off the board.

So if O'Brien likes his QB's big...

He knows Mallett...

A 3rd is really no biggie...2nd round NFL picks have only a 50% sucess rate in the NFL, 3rd rounders even less.

So Houston gives up the 1st pick in the 3rd for Mallett but still keeps it's #1 for Clowney, keeps it's number 2...

[/QUOTE]

Bortles reminds me of Big Ben in a way. Not the best passer mechanically but accurate enough and better on the move. Needs to work on ball placement though, tends to through to an area more then a specific targeted area. He's also very hard to bring down. I could see him being taken around the same spot Big Ben was taken

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I can't see anyone ponying up anything of value for the guy at this point...gm's can't go around handing over 2nd round picks for qb's that have been in the league three years and done nothing...not unless they want to be fired. I wish we were able to get something for this guy last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

I"m doubting they let him go, he is an insurance policy. Do you all really want to see the following, we get a 3rd for Mallet, pick up a scrub in the 5th round and a washed out QB like brady quin or the like, Brady goes down and we are HOSED..

I prefer to keep Mallet for another year and use a 1st next year on a Brady heir apparent.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I can't see anyone ponying up anything of value for the guy at this point...gm's can't go around handing over 2nd round picks for qb's that have been in the league three years and done nothing...not unless they want to be fired. I wish we were able to get something for this guy last year.

What was he supposed to do in those 3 years behind Brady?

As opposed to spending a 1st on guys like Matt Leinart, Patrick Ramsey, Brady Quinn, Kyle Boller, J P Losman, Tommy Maddox, Vince Young, David Carr, Joey harrington, Jim Druckenmiller, Tim Couch, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf  and I'm sure the many more i missed.

If you are evaluating the class of QB's coming out this year against Malletts resume at Arkansas and in NE tell me what seperates someone like Bridgewater at Louisville this year and Mallett. For me it was malletts maturity and if he didn't progress in that area BB would have got rid of him long ago. I would agree that a second might be out of the question but if I am a team in desperate need of a QB I would rather spend a 3rd or 4th and gamble on a 1st round talent who has tutored under one of the best QB's all time than gamble a 1st on a QB that could turn out like one of the QB's on my list. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The sleeper QB in this draft is Dustin Vaughn from W.Texas State, this guys stats are off the charts regardless of where he played he's 6'5" 230 lbs., and he threw a slew of TD passes in his college career.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this

[/QUOTE]

I thought AJ MCarren was coming out this year too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

You're crazy, rkarp.  Just trying to oblige cuz I haven't seen a great deal of drop off in Brady either.

So, for argument's sake, the Pats trade Mallett, what then do they do for a back-up?  Journeyman back up?  Another rookie late rounder or FA?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Maybe, Cassel is on the market and we could pull a Matt Flynn, but I think Mallet would yield a 5-7 since he's unproven.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from phatcatvirginbuttbuster45. Show phatcatvirginbuttbuster45's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he's in his last year, yes, mebbe he gets traded.  For what?  Maybe a 3rd rounder. He's done nothing to earn anything better/higher than that.

[/QUOTE]

BUST-CHISEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you think I wouldn't do my job for this board and let them know you are the one and only BUST-CHISE, the world’s biggest and most ridiculous NY Jets Troll? That you hunt for the backsides of your neighbors kitties at night? That you carry an old rag, a torn up Mark Sanchez Jets T-Shirt, and a bottle of chloroform which you use to incapacitate your young feline victims and that it's the reason you call this BUST-CHISE persona "Phat Virgin"?

You will be known whenever you come here….this I swear to this board….the NY Jets are the worst franchise in the history of the NFL…44 years of laughable failure and ridicule, like Kellen “Vaseline Jazz Hands” Winslow….RUB-A-DUB-DUB, BUST-CHISE, RUB -A--DUB-DUB

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Let's hope.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from phatricosbuttbuster45. Show phatricosbuttbuster45's posts

BUST-CHISEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you think I wouldn't do my job for this board and let them know you are the one and only BUST-CHISE, the world’s biggest and most ridiculous NY Jets Troll? That you hunt for the backsides of your neighbors kitties at night? That you carry an old rag, a torn up Mark Sanchez Jets T-Shirt, and a bottle of chloroform which you use to incapacitate your young feline victims and that it's the reason you call this BUST-CHISE persona "Phat Virgin"?

And how about all your other names BUST-CHISE ?

Among them are:

Bustify

Uncle Rico

Manning Rules

Meadowland Mike

Mile High Mike

Bungalo Bill

Wewerrdat

You will be known whenever you come here….this I swear to this board….the NY Jets are the worst franchise in the history of the NFL…44 years of laughable failure and ridicule, like Kellen “Vaseline Jazz Hands” Winslow….RUB-A-DUB-DUB, BUST-CHISE, RUB -A--DUB-DUB

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to jjbag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I"m doubting they let him go, he is an insurance policy. Do you all really want to see the following, we get a 3rd for Mallet, pick up a scrub in the 5th round and a washed out QB like brady quin or the like, Brady goes down and we are HOSED..

I prefer to keep Mallet for another year and use a 1st next year on a Brady heir apparent.

[/QUOTE]

This is the counter to the above: Are they winning a championship with Mallett? If you think they are, then the above argument matters. If not, then it just doesn't matter who the backup is.

Besides, I'd go out and grab Cassell. He's the perfect backup for this team. 

Sections
Shortcuts