Does our previous dope slapping of Houston..........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Does our previous dope slapping of Houston..........

Help or hurt the Pats this coming Sunday?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: Does our previous dope slapping of Houston..........

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Help or hurt the Pats this coming Sunday?

[/QUOTE]

Helps us , we're in their heads.  I bet they hate having to play us at home in jan.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I agree, Phil...  such a beat down is tough to get out of one's head, especially when you consider the Pats' O is even healthier this time around and Gronk is back!  The Pats also have a couple more healthy players back on D, too.  Of course, BB will invoke the Jets of 2010 game, won't he?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

It helps us because we're in their heads but it could also hurt us if our heads are still swelled from the beatdown.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

^ It is Pats' fans whose heads have swelled by that beat down.  IMHO, BB will keep the players in check with plenty of motivation this week to not let any previous results give them thoughts about this game!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Lol! You got that right.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think texaspat said last night that the first thing Belichick will do is show the team the beat down the pats gave the jets a few years ago, only to lose to them in the playoffs. I think Belichick will probably do that too.

I can remember that first jet game and the funny thing is I remember thinking...wow, some of these passes Brady is making are of the difficult variety...some good coverage. Yet we blew them out that day. Against the Texans I really didn't see that tight coverage type stuff that I saw in that first jet game...so maybe it won't be so bad?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think texaspat said last night that the first thing Belichick will do is show the team the beat down the pats gave the jets a few years ago, only to lose to them in the playoffs. I think Belichick will probably do that too.

I can remember that first jet game and the funny thing is I remember thinking...wow, some of these passes Brady is making are of the difficult variety...some good coverage. Yet we blew them out that day. Against the Texans I really didn't see that tight coverage type stuff that I saw in that first jet game...so maybe it won't be so bad?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think they'll get a reminder from Bill about that Jets game. 

One thing that I think is a different is that the Jets actually had a decent team that year who had beaten them in the first game.  The second game became a blowout because Sanchize threw 3 INT's.  Any game can get out of control when you lose the turnover battle 3-0.  Also the Jets had one of the best pass defenses in the league and the Pats had no running game.

But with Houston the turnovers were the same at 1-1, so to me- that means Houston just has to get a lot better.  Unless we see some really poor play and turnovers from the Pats I just don't see it.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Two schools of thought:

Pats are in their heads, as mentioned.

The Texans come in here and realise that they must immediately ratchet up the intensity and they have revenge on their mind. 

Regardless, I expect a better showing.  But I am not sold on Schaub and the Pats will take away Foster. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

As long as we don't read where the Patriots went out and purchased team letterman jackets then everything should be okay for a repeat of last game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxCsBruins. Show SoxCsBruins's posts

While they are 2 completely different teams, don't forget about what the jets did 2 years ago. We whooped their *ss on monday night football late in the season, then they came back into foxborough and had a completely different gameplan and beat us. Texans still have a great offence, and anything can happen in the playoffs. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think they'll get a reminder from Bill about that Jets game. 

One thing that I think is a different is that the Jets actually had a decent team that year who had beaten them in the first game.  The second game became a blowout because Sanchize threw 3 INT's.  Any game can get out of control when you lose the turnover battle 3-0.  Also the Jets had one of the best pass defenses in the league and the Pats had no running game.

But with Houston the turnovers were the same at 1-1, so to me- that means Houston just has to get a lot better.  Unless we see some really poor play and turnovers from the Pats I just don't see it.

[/QUOTE]

Pats had a great running hame with BJGE at 1000 yards in 12 games as a lead back and 13 TDs.

NE was only down 14-11 at the end of the 3rd after a Brady INT on that opening drive, but panicking and turning to Woodhead was very odd, and the wrong move, obviously.

Jets got lucky on the Crumpler TD drop, but it was one more break they needed to get us to bite, panic and start going shotgun spread, as they clogged the middle to disrupt passing routes in the middle.

Before the 2010 game in Dec I sat here and said "I would not put Cromartie on Branch". They did, Branch abused Cromartie because Cromartie is dumb and can't handle lateral routes well, but they changed that in the rematch.

Even knowing they were playing man, we still threw into it out of a shotgun. Just stupid.

God forbig Brady run forward here and there to keep them honest, too. Just a gift to the Jets.  That ain't happening again and it won't happen in this one.

Texans match up poorly on D.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah that game was lost after one INT on the opening drive that led to zero points.  No way to recover after that.  If only the Pats would fire Brady and hire a QB who never throws interceptions- ever.  Oh, except there aren't any, and the greatest QB in the history of the NFL at avoiding interceptions is on the Patriots but your to thick to realize it.

Actually this game is a great example of you being FOS.  They ran the ball 50% of the time, they switched between shotgun and under center with 3 of their 4 scoring drives coming when they were in shotgun no huddle.  It's like BB personally tailored the game plan to prove to you that you don't know what your talking about.  Guess he underestimated you because your still rambling on about how executing this game plan will win.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Here's what helps...The Texans are extremely thin at middle linebacker. Pats happen to have a few guys who can exploit the middle of the field.

Everyone can wonder how the previous game is going to affect the mindset of both teams, but regardless, what you put on the field is the only thing that matters.

Outside of Joseph, this secondary is just so-so. Spread that defense out and you're probably going to get a one on one matchup in up the middle. Whether it is Gronk or Hern, it does not matter. Bradie James nor Barret Ruud can cover them.

If they go nickel, then the Pats should just go no huddle and run it up their throats. This team lacks the ingredients of a defense that can stop the pats defense. Strong corners who can play man to man or a solid 4 man rush. Watt is good, the rest of that front 7 has been disappointing.

On offense, I am a bit more worried. Texans best formation is the 2 TE set, something they could not really use last time because Garrett Graham was out. While Talib will be well rested, he may also be a bit rusty, so Andre could be a concern. Arian Foster is also a concern, he's played well that past two games.

Biggest thing of course is Schaub's performance. We now know this guy chokes under pressure. There's no question about it. Going into Sunday's game, HOU is a 9.5 point underdog at the moment. Almost nobody is taking the Texans in this game. He just won a playoff game and is now going to play a game where everyone expects him to lose, I think there is significantly less pressure on him. That being said,

38-24 Pats is my prediction

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I say it helps, but not because of getting in their heads. I think it helps because the Pats did that to the Jests in 2010, then lost in the PS. I think they will be more on their guard against that happening again, and will bear down. Plus, the addition of Gronk will add a factor that wasnt there the first time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i dont think there is a doubt that they will be confident.....but i think what should help them the most is the return of gronk, both in pass catching and blocking.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

It was the dope slap that sent them on the 1-3 game kid, where they were expose with their cupcake schedule.

They gonna get an encore presentaion of the dope slap again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

texans should probobaly leave their letterman jackets home this time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

The Texans let the pressure get to them in high profile games where they are expected to win.

All the first game did was to take pressure off the Texans in this game. Their own fan base does not really expect them to win now where as in the last game they expected to thump NE. No pressure but just he desire to advance in the playoffs...much better mind set for a team that has not been far into the playoffs in the past.

I think it will be business as usual for the Patriots but with a long list of things they think they can exploit now that they have the one game experience this season vs. the Texans.

Both teams look to come out agressive and in a near stale mate the first half. Pats pull out in the second.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

One texans player said it best "From the coin flip they could tell it was just business with the Pats and that they took everything serious."

The Texans are the underdog and has nothing to lose except having to go home. Its impossible all those Texan players forgot the last meeting out of their head. Sure they have some guys back, but so do we.

I'll just say that I am glad the Pats but the beat down on the Texans and not the other way around. Texans finally won an important game in the last month or so, they have a lot to worry about and prepare for.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In Schaub do you Trust?

Playing this kind of football is good enough to beat a lot of teams, as was the case against the Bengals. However, with a New England offensive juggernaut hosting you, you need to be able to keep up with their high powered offense.

With Matt Schaub (-0.3) at the controls, do you think that’s possible?

The Texans’ quarterback looked tentative at best and was rarely prepared to challenge the Bengals’ secondary with anything meaningful. Only three times did he throw the ball over 10 yards in the air, and never did he go deep (over 20 yards). Instead, he largely relied on his receivers, backs and tight ends to do most of the work, with 49.6% of his yards coming after the catch.

That’s without mentioning the horrible pick-six he threw with 9:38 to go in the second quarter that brought the Bengals back to life in a game that appeared to be heading out of their reach quickly. His form down the stretch (that’s now three negatively graded games in a row) is a massive concern.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/06/refo-bengals-texans-afc-wild-card/

It appears that the December 10 beatdown may have affected Matt Schaub.  I don't think he'll appreciate coming to New England one bit.

In particular, i note how Schaub was allergic to going deep against Cincinnati.  Is he suffering a loss of strength in his arm?

The weather for next Sunday is a bit too unpredictable at this point.  One forecast is for fog all day, about 40 degrees, with a stiff breeze averaging 15 mph out of the southwest, gusting to....  Wet ball drills, please.  If Schaub can't hit long passes in the enclosed Houston stadium, I don't know how he's going to make any 10 yard passes in windy New England. 

In other news, Houston has some cornerbacks this time around.  They didn't have any such thing last time.  Brady had a 125.4 passer rating last time.  On the other hand, Brady has Gronk this time, and the entire team probably got healthier over the bye week.  Houston still doesn't have a defensive line outside of J.J. Watt, who counts as two people. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree, Phil...  such a beat down is tough to get out of one's head, especially when you consider the Pats' O is even healthier this time around and Gronk is back!  The Pats also have a couple more healthy players back on D, too.  Of course, BB will invoke the Jets of 2010 game, won't he?

[/QUOTE]

I was about to say the same thing Bill. We beat the Jets like 45-3 in2010 and six weeks later or so they beat us. Let's hope they remember that.

Sections
Shortcuts