Does Rodney Harrison Belong in The Hall Of Fame?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Does Rodney Harrison Belong in The Hall Of Fame?

No, he is not that good enough in coverage. gets burnt deep too much. hits like a mac truck. while very good I say no to the hall.
    Posted by jbolted

JBolt I thought you were a Chargers fan?

Reading your comments about Rodney are very telling. Obviously you're not old enough to remember Harrison as a Charger but for a long time he and Seau were it.  Not only was Rodney good enough in coverage but he was excellent, especially in the red zone were he made most of his picks.  He would have intercepted a lot more passes but instead sent a message by laying out the opposing teams best recievers.  He was always in position for the hit.

If you're judging 34 year old Harrison vs his early career you're being narrow minded because he ended it with the PAT's.  Don't forget the Chargers were the meatballs who CUT Rodney because they thought he was finished, he didn't want to leave San Diego.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mercury22-The-Undefeated. Show Mercury22-The-Undefeated's posts

Re: Does Roidney Harrison Belong in The Hall Of Shame?

Yes, I do believe his record of spitting, fighting, trash talking, HGH use should get him in to the Hall Of Shame.  If that is not enough, just show the David Tyree helmet catch that he just could not knock down ended the Path to Perfection.  That one act alone, epitomizes the character of those in the Hall.  Move over Pete Rose, Barry Bonds, Maurice Clarett, Rafael Palmiero, Roger Clemons, etc.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Does HGH factor into the debate???? "Cheating" always seems to be brought up in regards to Roger Clemens, who has never been proven to have used. Harrison actually admitted it after he was caught.
    Posted by 5rings

How many Squeelers are in the HOF after they cheated with Roids?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Yes, I do believe his record of spitting, fighting, trash talking, HGH use should get him in to the Hall Of Shame.  If that is not enough, just show the David Tyree helmet catch that he just could not knock down ended the Path to Perfection.  That one act alone, epitomizes the character of those in the Hall.  Move over Pete Rose, Barry Bonds, Maurice Clarett, Rafael Palmiero, Roger Clemons, etc.....
    Posted by Mercury22-The-Undefeated

LOL@ the IDIOT TROLL!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

And finally a troll shows up to run his mouth and sound like an idiot. wouldnt be a thread with out at least one.

Jbolt, the man is the only safety in history to record 30+ sacks and 30+ INTs in a career I would think that alone proves he is good in coverage. You cant pick teh ball off if you cant cover anyone. Plus as other have said you are clearly forgetting how good he was when he played for your team. I think you are just bitter that he went on to win two titles with the Pats while the Chargers have not been to a super bowl since he left the team. Leave your bitterness at the door and you will realize that when he played for teh Chargers he was one of if not the best safety in the league.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 5rings. Show 5rings's posts

How many Squeelers are in the HOF after they cheated with Roids?
    Posted by m1020us

I don't know, how many? Back to the original point:       

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_rodney_harrison_05_06-05-09_T4EK5F0_v2.215e560.html      

snip...

"Harrison took HGH, no question. His rationale, he says, was to help him recover from injuries.

Which is akin to saying: “I stole money because I felt I needed it. Does that make me a real robber?”

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

But its ok for Chuck Noll to feed his players roids with their morning cerial?  Honey Bunches of roids? Captin Crunch with roid berrys? thats ok right? seriously Steelers fans will never have the high ground when it comes to cheating so dont even try. Your entire team history is full of cheaters so get off your high horse. At leats Rodney maned up and admited his mistake unlike you and teh steelers who just try and act like people shouldnt know what kind of cheaters you are.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

mercury-how long has it been since the porpoises were in the SB?early 70,s wasnt it?5-rings you should look at the dirt thats been with the steelers for sometime.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 5rings. Show 5rings's posts

But its ok for Chuck Noll to feed his players roids with their morning cerial?  Honey Bunches of roids? Captin Crunch with roid berrys? thats ok right? seriously Steelers fans will never have the high ground when it comes to cheating so dont even try. Your entire team history is full of cheaters so get off your high horse. At leats Rodney maned up and admited his mistake unlike you and teh steelers who just try and act like people shouldnt know what kind of cheaters you are.
    Posted by MVPkilla

Is this directed at me? Why are you convinced that I am a Steelers fan? I am not. (If I were, my tag would be 6Rings, remember last year?) But either way, my loyalties have absolutely nothing to do with this thread. You put forth emotion based opinions as though they are reasoned analysis and it's laughable. When someone tries to inject a point that makes you uncomfortable...you attack. Bye bye.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Jim Donaldson throws a wet blanket over the prospect of Rodney Harrison being elected into the football Hall Of Fame. Though I believe that Rodney was vastly underrated as a player throughout his career, and deserves to be a Hall of Famer, I must admit that Donaldson makes some good points: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_rodney_harrison_05_06-05-09_T4EK5F0_v2.215e560.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mercury22-The-Undefeated. Show Mercury22-The-Undefeated's posts

Does anyone think that, if he were a former Giant, Cowboy or Redskin, we would even be having this debate? No. He'd be a lock for the HOF. A no-brainer. But, as a Patriot? Not so much. Too much anti-patriot sentiment out there, combined with his media-generated reputation as a "dirty player". Funny, anyone remember him being tagged as a "dirty player" when he was in SD? I don't.
    Posted by unclealfie

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3439800

The best part was when Harrison melted down last year when the Patsies were Wildcat-ed in their own house.  Even calling Ricky Williams dirty.  

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/22/rodney-harrison-doesnt-approve-of-ricky-williams-dirty-blockin/

No Hall for you, Roidney!  Only 14 personal fouls since 2001?  Just a few more and he could have been number 1.  Not suprising Seymour has 13.  Add in Wilfork and Vrabels fouls and you have the most of any team in the last 8 years.  As LT says, if you ain't cheating (or illegally videotaping), you ain't trying.  Hey Roidney, still seing David Tyree in your nightmares?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Its ok we all understand that you have not won a title since the 70's so you must be upset its ok you can cry all you want. I mean we get it you had Dan Marino and you still couldnt get a title so that must hurt so take it out on us we understand. We would hate us two if we were in your shoes and had to watch the p iss poor dolphins get their a ss kicked by the Pats 95% of the time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ET27. Show ET27's posts

Does HGH factor into the debate???? "Cheating" always seems to be brought up in regards to Roger Clemens, who has never been proven to have used. Harrison actually admitted it after he was caught.
    Posted by 5rings

Roger is in denial, the proof is overwhelming.  When Roger has his day in court, he will lose.  Harrison took full responsibility for his actions.  No excuses.  In any event, I put them both in the HOF. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Jbolt, the man is the only safety in history to record 30+ sacks and 30+ INTs in a career      

I believe he's the only player, not just safety with the 30/30. I could be wrong, but I thought that's what they said on NFLN the other night. With such a long career, being at the top of his position, and a pair or rings, he should definitely get in. Unfortunately it's the media who holds the votes (sort of like letting the third graders in the US elect the president!), and that throws a wrench into common sense! I believe it should be the living HOF members who get the vote. The media has too many opinions, and you know what they say about those.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

DEFENSIVE BACKS (20)

Herb Adderley (CB) 1961-1972
    Lem Barney (CB) 1967-1977
    Mel Blount (CB) 1970-1983
    Willie Brown (CB) 1963-1978
    Jack Christiansen (S) 1951-1958
    Darrell Green (CB) 1983-2002
    Mike Haynes (CB) 1976-1989
    Ken Houston (S) 1967-1980
    Jimmy Johnson (CB) 1961-1976
    Paul Krause (S) 1964-1979
    Dick (Night Train) Lane (CB) 1952-1965
    Yale Lary (S) 1952-1953, 1956-1964
    Ronnie Lott (CB-S) 1981-1994
    Mel Renfro (S-CB) 1964-1977
    Emmitt Thomas (CB) 1966-1978
    Emlen Tunnell (S) 1948-1961
    Roger Wehrli 1969-1982
    Larry Wilson (S) 1960-1972
    Willie Wood (S) 1960-1971
    Rod Woodson 1987-2003

That's the list of Hall of Famers.  Last 3 Safties to make the Hall: Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott and Ken Houston.

Woodson made the Pro Bowl 11 times.  Ronnie Lott made the Pro Bowl 10 times at 3 positions. Ken Houston was selected to the AFC/NFL All Star/Pro Bowl teams 12 straight times.

Rodney Harrison was selected to the Pro Bowl 2 times in his NFL career.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

DEFENSIVE BACKS (20) Herb Adderley (CB) 1961-1972 Lem Barney (CB) 1967-1977 Mel Blount (CB) 1970-1983 Willie Brown (CB) 1963-1978 Jack Christiansen (S) 1951-1958 Darrell Green (CB) 1983-2002 Mike Haynes (CB) 1976-1989 Ken Houston (S) 1967-1980 Jimmy Johnson (CB) 1961-1976 Paul Krause (S) 1964-1979 Dick (Night Train) Lane (CB) 1952-1965 Yale Lary (S) 1952-1953, 1956-1964 Ronnie Lott (CB-S) 1981-1994 Mel Renfro (S-CB) 1964-1977 Emmitt Thomas (CB) 1966-1978 Emlen Tunnell (S) 1948-1961 Roger Wehrli 1969-1982 Larry Wilson (S) 1960-1972 Willie Wood (S) 1960-1971 Rod Woodson 1987-2003 That's the list of Hall of Famers.  Last 3 Safties to make the Hall: Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott and Ken Houston. Woodson made the Pro Bowl 11 times.  Ronnie Lott made the Pro Bowl 10 times at 3 positions. Ken Houston was selected to the AFC/NFL All Star/Pro Bowl teams 12 straight times. Rodney Harrison was selected to the Pro Bowl 2 times in his NFL career.
    Posted by bobomul

Rod Woodson was a corner for the first 7/8's of his career and wasn't playing safety until has his late thirties.  The Pro Bowl is an indicator of greatness, not it's measurement.  He made two, but should have made it every year he was healthy, it didn't help that he was a 7th round draft choice from an unknown school.  It's a popularity contest, Rodney was disliked, but I doubt many recievers didn't respect him and the ones who tried were severly punished.  Vincent Brown was a ProBowl caliber linebacker for the PAT's every year, but it took a long time for people to take notice because the team was horrible and then his career was over...

The HGH arguement doesn't hold water because everyone knows the NFL's drug testing is a joke.  If they tested players in the offseason nobody would be available to play.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Rod Woodson was a corner for the first 7/8's of his career and wasn't playing safety until has his late thirties.  The Pro Bowl is an indicator of greatness, not it's measurement.  He made two, but should have made it every year he was healthy, it didn't help that he was a 7th round draft choice from an unknown school.  It's a popularity contest, Rodney was disliked, but I doubt many recievers didn't respect him and the ones who tried were severly punished.  Vincent Brown was a ProBowl caliber linebacker for the PAT's every year, but it took a long time for people to take notice because the team was horrible and then his career was over... The HGH arguement doesn't hold water because everyone knows the NFL's drug testing is a joke.  If they tested players in the offseason
    Posted by wozzy

the HOF is also a popularity contest. he'll at least make the HOF that matters, the one in Patriot Place.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

to me this a good question.the guy is definately a intimidater on the feild,and has made many great hits.he does still have the 30 int,and 30 sacks.if anything,he should be considered.
    Posted by mosseffect43

one of my favorite patriots, a great intimidater, only player with the 30/30, but no rodney will never be in the HOF.  the HOF is reserved for the "true elite", and while rodney played his @ss off, he was not nearly good enough

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

JBolt I thought you were a Chargers fan? Reading your comments about Rodney are very telling. Obviously you're not old enough to remember Harrison as a Charger but for a long time he and Seau were it.  Not only was Rodney good enough in coverage but he was excellent, especially in the red zone were he made most of his picks.  He would have intercepted a lot more passes but instead sent a message by laying out the opposing teams best recievers.  He was always in position for the hit. If you're judging 34 year old Harrison vs his early career you're being narrow minded because he ended it with the PAT's.  Don't forget the Chargers were the meatballs who CUT Rodney because they thought he was finished, he didn't want to leave San Diego.
    Posted by wozzy

Not old enough? I had season tickets when he was here. Not good enough in coverage. Great against the run, short passing game and the blitz.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Not old enough? I had season tickets when he was here. Not good enough in coverage. Great against the run, short passing game and the blitz.
    Posted by jbolted

Here is some video of Rodney both as a Patriot and as a Charger, watch the open field tackles and the monster hits.  A strong safeties job isn't to run with receivers but to anticipate where on the field they will attempt to attack and to cover tight ends which Rodney excelled at.  Your response only highlights your lack of overall football knowledge and all around disrespect of one of the greatest players to don a Chargers uniform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDAjiKRElvA&feature=fvsr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZMloRCtUM

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I think if the HOF voting was done by ex-players and coaches he would be in for sure. however, the "dirty" tag hung on him by the media (who holds the votes) may be hard to overcome. If I had a vote I'd say yes on the first ballot. He certainly has the stats and rings (if not the pro bowls) to deserve a bust!
    Posted by bubthegrub2

Bub you have that backwards a bit...... the AS game is voted on by the players and they only voted for him twice despite him having much better stats than any of the ones who were voted in. The players said he was dirty probably mostly wide recievers. The media just picked up on it.

Based upon his stats alone he has too be a first time HOF winner.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Here is some video of Rodney both as a Patriot and as a Charger, watch the open field tackles and the monster hits.  A strong safeties job isn't to run with receivers but to anticipate where on the field they will attempt to attack and to cover tight ends which Rodney excelled at.  Your response only highlights your lack of overall football knowledge and all around disrespect of one of the greatest players to don a Chargers uniform. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDAjiKRElvA&feature=fvsr http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZMloRCtUM
    Posted by wozzy

when offensive coordinators isolated him deep over the middle he routinely got burnt.

A strong safeties job isn't to run with receivers but to anticipate where on the field they will attempt to attack and to cover tight ends which Rodney excelled at. 

It is on a post pattern over the middle.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

when offensive coordinators isolated him deep over the middle he routinely got burnt.
    A strong safeties job isn't to run with receivers but to anticipate where on the field they will attempt to attack and to cover tight ends which Rodney excelled at.   It is on a post pattern over the middle.
    Posted by jbolted

Wrong again; his assignment isn't to run with them but stay behind them which Rodney did as well as anyone.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Bub you have that backwards a bit...... the AS game is voted on by the players and they only voted for him twice despite him having much better stats than any of the ones who were voted in.

What the hel is the "AS" game? I have to assume you mean pro bowls, as that was what people were talking about. And I was saying that the HOF is voted on by the media. My point was that to get into Canton you should be voted in by guys who are already in. Not the sorry media, who all seem to have agendas and biases. Based solely on production on the field I believe Rodney should get in. I could care less who makes the pro bowl. Not only the players vote for that, but also any s c h m u c k can vote 1000 times if he has no life and wants to keep submitting votes online! And due to his leadership, his performance on the field, and his three Super Bowl appearances (which IMO are worth 5 pro bowls each), I'd say he's got the credentials. Imagine his stats had he played in the same era as a guy like Blount! We all know that WRs are a bunch of prima donnas for the most part. Rodney may be "dirty" in Polian's idea of (touch) football, but he was a great leader in the secondary and made a lot of game changing plays. Just my opinion. I don't think he'll make it to Canton, but he'll aleays be a HOFer in my eyes!

This board is ridiculous! I can't believe they rejected "s c h m u c k"!!

Sections
Shortcuts