Does Talib sign a Bodden like deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Does Talib sign a Bodden like deal?

Free-agent cornerback Leigh Bodden reached a four-year, $22 million agreement to remain with the New England Patriots, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Tuesday.

The deal includes $10 million in guaranteed money and $14 million over the first two years of the deal, the source said.

Honestly he's already been the Pats best secondary player and he's been here for like 3 weeks.  He is a proven number 1 if not a 'lock down' CB, which in my opinion doesn't exist outside of Revis.  I would say toss an additional $8M to round it out to a total of $30M.  Let's stop worrying about having a legit CB, and let's continue to hope for progress out of the Dennard.  IMO enough is enough.  But if he does want more then I understand if they have to let him go. 

Thoughts?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Does Talib sign a Bodden like deal?

I don't want to be the one who says he will follow the Pats way', but it seems Dev(as Talib calls him) has been very influential to him since he got here.

Remember last year when Wilfork had his whole D-line over for dinner during the off season?

I think McCourty brings that type of leadership to the secondary, and hopefully he shores up his troops demurring the off season as well, and hopefully he can be that positive influence on Talib. 

I just hope he doesn't command too much.  I know there will be at least one offer bigger than what NE offers, but hopefully he accepts that deal.  Obviously this is me assuming that Pats will want him back. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Bottom line I guess we can say.

1. He stay's healthy and effective.

2. Keeps his head in the game - No more off field drama.

3. He takes a slight hometown discount.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Lets just see how he does the rest of the way, to me it's really to early to make any calls on this guy. Even if he does well I'd be a little afraid to sign him long term...has anyone ever heard this guy in an interview? To me he sounds like a punk. He also kind of looks like a punk - now just because you look and sound like a punk doesn't mean you're a punk, but add that to his history and I'd think long and hard before forking 40 plus million to him. 

I imagine if they hand this guy a contract after the season it will be loaded witH all sorts of "out" clauses to protect the Krafts and the team. Stuff like...you fail a drug test, you're out. You have one single domestic despute, you're out. You run into a problem with a player of this team in the locker room or at a team event, you're out. Can you picture this guy punching Gronk in the mouth at Kraft's cookout?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Wow... I am way more confident in this guy than you I guess.  He punches a guy in the face at the combine... threatened a creep dating his sister, and took aderall. 

Does he have to change some of his ways, sure.  Is he Pacman Jones? Nope.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Talib isn't proven.  He may in fact take every tenth play off because his brain doesn't always work. 

The only known Patriots front office weakness is that they hire people with concussions that can't play anymore.  Example:  Chad Ochocinco.

Talib didn't know the system 6 days after he started practicing, or 10 days after he started practicing.  The Miami game will probably sort out a lot for the front office, if not for the rest of us. 

If Talib is fully functional, yes he should be signed to a long-term contract this month.  If he's half-functional, just let his current contract run out in March and see how low his agent will go.  If he's horrid (pretty unlikely), drop him now. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Talib isn't proven.  He may in fact take every tenth play off because his brain doesn't always work. 

The only known Patriots front office weakness is that they hire people with concussions that can't play anymore.  Example:  Chad Ochocinco.

Talib didn't know the system 6 days after he started practicing, or 10 days after he started practicing.  The Miami game will probably sort out a lot for the front office, if not for the rest of us. 

If Talib is fully functional, yes he should be signed to a long-term contract this month.  If he's half-functional, just let his current contract run out in March and see how low his agent will go.  If he's horrid (pretty unlikely), drop him now. 

[/QUOTE]

You expect a guy to know a Bill Belichick style defense in a matter of 10 days? =D 

Wow, I'd hate to be your kid. You'd expect me to know the entire constitution off the top of my head in a day. XD

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

It's going to come down to this....

Locking up Welker to a long term deal or using Welker's cash on fixing the defense. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Lets see how Talib does with a few more games to judge him by.  Sure I like the dude, I want to believe the D has gotten better since he has been here allowing DMC to move to safety.  But, He has been back for the Colts game which he got scored on (although he had good coverage) and of course the Jets laugher.  Lets see what happens tomorrow, the Texans game and 49'ers, then we will talk.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lets see how Talib does with a few more games to judge him by.  Sure I like the dude, I want to believe the D has gotten better since he has been here allowing DMC to move to safety.  But, He has been back for the Colts game which he got scored on (although he had good coverage) and of course the Jets laugher.  Lets see what happens tomorrow, the Texans game and 49'ers, then we will talk.

[/QUOTE]

Ditto

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

What am I missing? While it has been a small sample size, and Talib is still getting into shape, Dennard has played a better CB than Talib, and in the defensive dark days of games 1-5, McCourty played a better CB than Talib is playing. Let the season play out and see what the market will bear on Talib. He is a risky signing and I am betting his market value isn't as high as many think. 

I also assume no one knows his better than BB. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What am I missing? While it has been a small sample size, and Talib is still getting into shape, Dennard has played a better CB than Talib, and in the defensive dark days of games 1-5, McCourty played a better CB than Talib is playing. Let the season play out and see what the market will bear on Talib. He is a risky signing and I am betting his market value isn't as high as many think. 

I also assume no one knows his better than BB. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I'd agree with that - Dennard may be playing better than him right now, but Dennard is in football shape and has been playing in this defense all year. Looking at the two from a physical standpoint Talib has more size and is faaster - plus he already is a proven commodity. And comparing McCourty to him as a corner is a  stretch don't you think? Do you remember the saeson McCourty had last year? And what about all the times early this season that he didn't turn for the ball?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I don't know why anyone would even be thinking about doing a deal right now.  He's played in two games...both blowouts.  There just isn't enough of a sample to make any type of decision.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Well, they won't have to pay McCourty top CB money if he stays at S.  And I doubt Chung is getting a big extension either.  So there should be money to give a guy like Talib a reasonable deal.  Will he take reasonable?  Not sure, but he seems to understand the opportunity he has based on his comments. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know why anyone would even be thinking about doing a deal right now.  He's played in two games...both blowouts.  There just isn't enough of a sample to make any type of decision.

[/QUOTE]

Year after year the pats look to fill the void left behing by Zant.....

I just see this as fill it with a proven vet(no matter how proven) instead oif trying to do it with the failed draft picks of late.  Dennard seems to be working out... let them lock down the other side and improve other areas.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Trusting the extention is on hold a bit....he looked lost out there today.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Not a very good game today.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Um, I think I will stick with my earlier post.... I'm not going to get on him today, I think there was some zone help problems.  A few more weeks, lets see what he can do and then lets talk.  All this crazy talk is too early!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

From what I've observed thus far, the 'shut down corner' Talib looks at times disoriented, out of position or looking for phantom safety help. loves to grab opposing jerseys also.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to GEAUX-TIGRES's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From what I've observed thus far, the 'shut down corner' Talib looks at times disoriented, out of position or looking for phantom safety help. loves to grab opposing jerseys also.

[/QUOTE]

I believe you are a Jests troll.

Sections
Shortcuts