Does Tebow Deserve To Be On The Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Does Tebow Deserve To Be On The Patriots?

In response to tanbass' comment:

Do you honestly believe it's only "some fans" that think this guy sucks? He will NEVER be a good QB in the NFL. You have every right to defend his skills if you wish, but pretty much the entire football world as we know it knows this kid isn't going to be a great NFL QB.....EVER. He's missing a skill that seems to be pretty important for NFL QBs....he can't pass!! LOL

It doesn't matter if all of the fans think he's terrible.  Why should he give up?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to RallyC's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:

Has Tebow earned a spot on the Patriots?

http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/columnists/kaufman/2013/08/done_deal_tim_tebow_will_break_camp_with_patriots.html

Keeping Tebow on the roster is not just strategically sound, its just more BB genious. None of us know for sure what BB is planning to do to best capitalize on what TT brings, but even before we know here are the obvious, strategic and even tactical advantages that I can see:

1. Other teams are forced to spend valuable time preparing for him and the "run packages" and his "ball control" style thereby neglecting valuable time into preparing for Tom and his #1 rated offensive attack. MAKES SENSE.

2. The polar opposite offensive styles between a Tebow and TB run offense will drive a DC absolutely nuts if we show a committment to showing it and using it consistantly enough. MAKES SENSE.

3. When the PATs go up by 3-TDs, why not insert Tebow with Blount and two TEs and do what TEBOW does best...ball control, clock killing, making big plays outta nothing type football plays. MAKES SENSE. 

4. Please, don't forget, WE are all use to the great Tom Brady, the cream of the crop in NFL QB history and so we are spoiled by seeing an offense that is a thing of beauty and finness when he is executing. TEBOW may not look good to US, but he is an incredible football player, Heismann Trophy Winner, and a 2-time NCAA National Champion from the QB position. If used the right way as a compliment to Tom, he will give us a dimension that we haven't seen since the Flutie days, but only used when appropriate in an effort to CONTROL THE GAME AND CLOCK vs. putting Tom in the line of fire against all out blitzes. Lets not forget how tough it has been to watch our offense sputter when up by 2-3 TDs only to blame our D when the score got close. Truth, our Offense has had a tendancy to go 3-and-out an awful lot in the late phases of the game when up by multiple scores. TEBOW could be a stop gap to that issue.

BB is a mad scientist and when we win the Superbowl this season, there's gonna be a whole bunch of you out there who are gonna say, DAMN! Tebow was not only relevant, but played a big role in this amazing season. YOU CAN'T DENY HIS FOOTBALL ABILITIES. He's big, strong, tough, can take a beating, and is a winner. DON'T start with the, "YEAH! but this is the NFL. How much of this beating can he take? So we do this and he gets hurt, then what?" Then BB got the most out of the situation that he could. He took advantage of having an advatage until that advantage is gone. We have the best of both worlds with him as a compliment to Tom...maybe not in place of Tom, but in a supplementary role, in our alternate offense, DAMN we got VERSATILITY. Sound familiar.....BB loves it more than anything else!

I do not agree with point #3. It is imperative that the Pats allow Mallett snaps in case something hap[pens to TB. Even if it is a one sided game, Mallett needs snaps. 

With this strategy I believe Mallet gets more last 3-4-minute mop up duty opps than he's ever gotten because now we are holding on to big leads while eating up more clock. How much time did Mallet get last year? Almost none. This will get him more......I betcha.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Most of these comments are hilarious due to the angst alone. LMAO

It is very likely TT makes the team.

And the biggest reason he will is probably because of our two biggest flaws. We can't run when we need to and we can't play D, especially when we need to.

It may well be about closing out a game with a solid lead. We need to do that on offense and we don't do that all that well. With TT out there instead of Tom in these "must run to burn clock" situations TT is actually the better option. I think even his biggest detractors would agree that he can hand the ball off as well as Tom. But he can run as well, which Tom can't. He adds that dimension in that situation, and is still a passing threat that a defense must respect, even if not fear.

Tebow may be a great asset to the team that solves a big problem we have had; winning these games we build up a big lead in by a lot, instead of making it an adventure at the end.

My bet is: By the end of the season most of you knuckleheads will be cheering TT and claiming yet again how BB is a genius.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Most of these comments are hilarious due to the angst alone. LMAO

It is very likely TT makes the team.

And the biggest reason he will is probably because of our two biggest flaws. We can't run when we need to and we can't play D, especially when we need to.

It may well be about closing out a game with a solid lead. We need to do that on offense and we don't do that all that well. With TT out there instead of Tom in these "must run to burn clock" situations TT is actually the better option. I think even his biggest detractors would agree that he can hand the ball off as well as Tom. But he can run as well, which Tom can't. He adds that dimension in that situation, and is still a passing threat that a defense must respect, even if not fear.

Tebow may be a great asset to the team that solves a big problem we have had; winning these games we build up a big lead in by a lot, instead of making it an adventure at the end.

My bet is: By the end of the season most of you knuckleheads will be cheering TT and claiming yet again how BB is a genius.

That makes at least two of us!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

If Rally and Babe are correct, then I'lll be surprised.  I simply do not see Tebow as a good game closing QB.  He doesn't read defenses well, holds the ball too long and his passing accuracy is poor. Everything that I've seen and read about the guy indicates that this is the case.  If the Pats find themselves in a 3rd and 5, for example, and he must pass the ball, do we honestly believe he is a good alternative to TB?

If he does make the 53 man roster, which he will if BB sees him as helping the team, then, as I indicated, I'd be surprised to see him in this capacity.

Not saying I have any special insight here, just don't see it the same way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

If Rally and Babe are correct, then I'lll be surprised.  I simply do not see Tebow as a good game closing QB.  He doesn't read defenses well, holds the ball too long and his passing accuracy is poor. Everything that I've seen and read about the guy indicates that this is the case.  If the Pats find themselves in a 3rd and 5, for example, and he must pass the ball, do we honestly believe he is a good alternative to TB?

If he does make the 53 man roster, which he will if BB sees him as helping the team, then, as I indicated, I'd be surprised to see him in this capacity.

Not saying I have any special insight here, just don't see it the same way.

ATJ, I re-emphasize that TT is not an alternative to TB, but simply a complement to TB. The analysis you provided above is describing the critical attributes of a QB who is coming into the game to play conventional QB, run/pass mix. Those scenarios aren't what we are talking about. TT would ideally enter the game when the PATS are holding a comfortable lead and are looking to grind the ball and the clock. We have an exceptional o-line, a group of versatile runners, and with TT, an above average ball control, running QB. The Pats with TB are a throw first, time saving friendly offense which favors the team who is behind when we don't complete a pass (clock stops). We are inferring that TT would be a great clock eating QB with his ability to run effectively, improvise on seemingly lost plays for positive yardage, and to slowly grind the ball in the right direction very consistantly to close out such games. NOBODY is insinuating that he would be effective as a full time, consistant passer or full time replacement for TB.

TT will play much more than you and many here think, if for no other reason, to bring a level of pressure and confusion to the oppositions defenses, and to grind the clock down in large lead situations. See, in big lead situations now, our offense has proven rather impotent as the run is easier to defend when defenses know we don't really want to pass in fear of stopping the clock on an incompletion especially with TB back there who may be the very worse, scrambling/rushing QB in the league. With TT, they have a legit NFL rushing threat along with the other two backs on the field with him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Rally, I understood your point; I'm not sure that you understood mine.  How often, in your experience, have you seen the kind of game closing scenario that you describe produce 3rd and 5 (or thereabouts)?  I'm merely a fan but it does seem to come up often.  Are you really comfortable with Tebow in there in a 3rd and 5 situation when the other team is well aware of how Tebow plays the game?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Glad you asked.  The answer is Yes and No.

First the explanation for the "Yes":

Which team is the worst team in the NFL?   Correct, the Jaguars

Which NFL team does Forbes rank dead last in Value?  Right again, the Jags

Which NFL team ranks at or near the bottom in merchandise sales?  You're on a roll - indeed it's the Jags

Which NFL team is located closest to the Florida Gators?  No fooling you.  Jags it is.

See where I'm going?  TT has a place on the Pats if they can move him to the Jags.  You may be thinking that the Jags already have a better QB (or 2) and they've already passed over TT before.  And you'd be right.  But you're smarter than the Jags.  These are not bright people running that organization.  It's time to steal their lunch money.

So, "Yes" TT has a temporary place on the Pats.  But, "No" it shouldn't be for long.  Gabbert is going to get decapitated playing QB for the Jags.  They may turn to Henne again at that point, but have you ever heard of someone say "Let's go to the game - Chad Henne is starting"?  When was the last time you saw someone wearing a Gabbert or Henne jersey?

At desperate times businessmen focus with laser-like precision on the bottom line.  The Jags will finish last with or without TT, why not make a deal for him and greatly improve ticket/merchandise sales?

I wouldn't be greedy and ask for their 2014 #1 in return.  I'd settle for #1 in 2015.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If Rally and Babe are correct, then I'lll be surprised.  I simply do not see Tebow as a good game closing QB.  He doesn't read defenses well, holds the ball too long and his passing accuracy is poor.

How well do you need to read a defense to hand the ball off to burn clock, still provide a passing threat to keep a D honest and pose a threat to run yourself?

I truly am puzzled why homers defend BB's poor drafting to the death, overrate nearly every guy on the team, and yet constantly question BB's coaching.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Rally, I understood your point; I'm not sure that you understood mine.  How often, in your experience, have you seen the kind of game closing scenario that you describe produce 3rd and 5 (or thereabouts)?  I'm merely a fan but it does seem to come up often.  Are you really comfortable with Tebow in there in a 3rd and 5 situation when the other team is well aware of how Tebow plays the game?

Have you considered that BB could bring Brady right back in on a 3rd and whatever passing down?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

If Rally and Babe are correct, then I'lll be surprised.  I simply do not see Tebow as a good game closing QB.  He doesn't read defenses well, holds the ball too long and his passing accuracy is poor.

How well do you need to read a defense to hand the ball off to burn clock, still provide a passing threat to keep a D honest and pose a threat to run yourself?

I truly am puzzled why homers defend BB's poor drafting to the death, overrate nearly every guy on the team, and yet constantly question BB's coaching.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, Babe, did you not see my post above about 3rd and 5 on clock killing situations?  It's just a couple of posts above this one.

And I didn't realize that I was questioning BB's coaching.  I thought the question was 'Does Tebow Deserve To Be On The Patriots?' and I said that he did if BB felt he could make the team better - an earlier post that you must have missed.

Have I really placed my life at risk by stating my belief that BB knows an RCH more about drafting than those on this board who subscribe to the Mel Kiper approach?  Didn't realize that by saying so I was defending his drafting 'to the death.'

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

Have you considered that BB could bring Brady right back in on a 3rd and whatever passing down?

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't that fly in the face of your previous post in agreement with Rally? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Sure, in crunch time of a game,  Brady is going to let BB pull him for Tebow. And BB is going to pull the greatest QB of all time for Tim Tebow.

Zach "Don't call me 'Suddsy'" Sudfeld

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't that fly in the face of your previous post in agreement with Rally? 

[/QUOTE]

I don't see why it would.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Sure, in crunch time of a game,  Brady is going to let BB pull him for Tebow. And BB is going to pull the greatest QB of all time for Tim Tebow.

Zach "Don't call me 'Suddsy'" Sudfeld

Nobody said that. Putting in TT with a good lead to burn clock was the scenario being discussed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, Babe, did you not see my post above about 3rd and 5 on clock killing situations?  It's just a couple of posts above this one.

And I didn't realize that I was questioning BB's coaching.  I thought the question was 'Does Tebow Deserve To Be On The Patriots?' and I said that he did if BB felt he could make the team better - an earlier post that you must have missed.

Have I really placed my life at risk by stating my belief that BB knows an RCH more about drafting than those on this board who subscribe to the Mel Kiper approach?  Didn't realize that by saying so I was defending his drafting 'to the death.'

[/QUOTE]

You're right, you probably wouldn't defend BB's drafting "to the death". About 5 minutes of waterboarding and you would see the light. LMAO

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[/QUOTE]

I don't see why it would.

[/QUOTE]

You indicated that Tebow posed a passing threat that defenses must fear - if he does (which I do not believe) then why would you bring Brady back in?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

It's odd that they're keeping him, but there certainly is a reason.

Maybe they're going to move Mallett.  I'd rather see Tebow on the sidelines than Mallett with a ten billion dollar franchise tag.

Isnt Mallet on his rookie contract?  Where does the 10b come from? Move Mallet and make TT the 2nd starter?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

How many guys are not given a chance because he's taking up a valuable spot on the team. I just don't understand why he's here, it's not because he s a talented quarterback. Would Brady had made the team if he had performed like Tebow has.  If Kraft is keeping him (and I think he has the most to say in this) to help the Patriots image, shame on him.  He's using him. When is someone going  to tell him to give up the idea of an NFL career, move on to help the world become a better place. The sad part is his college winnings ways are fading, and fans are going to remember his failure in the NFL.

Why would he give up on his NFL career?  He's on an NFL team.  He's on an awesome NFL team.  You think he should give up his dreams, throw away his entire life's work, because some fans think he isn't very good at his job?

Absurd.

No the coaching staff should tell him to stop dreaming, atleast in NE.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

3) The team can only dress 45 on game day plus an emergency QB. So if Tebow does make the team, it would be at the expense of some one that most likely does not play, and Tebow is that emergency 46th guy

This is correct except that they don't have an emergency QB anymore to my knowledge. I think they did away with that and just made it 46 active. But the point is the same. That is, you can only dress 46, so he doesn't take away from anybody's PT unless he's active. If he's active, then they have a plan to actually use him in the game because they aren't going to have 2 active backup QBs.

The larger point though, is that this whole discussion is premature. They need 3 QBs in camp to handle all the reps and to get through the preseason games. So, if they cut Tebow they'd need to bring in another QB. You cut your third QB (if that's the plan) at the end of camp, not now. 

If Tebow was cut last week, Brady would have had to play basically the whole game against Philly. Look at any team's roster right now, they all have more than two QBs. It's a must.

Agreed, TT value just went up because of the injuries to TB an RM.  If this was week 1, do you think TT would take the reigns or would BB bring in a veteran to take over?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:

Has Tebow earned a spot on the Patriots?

http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/columnists/kaufman/2013/08/done_deal_tim_tebow_will_break_camp_with_patriots.html

Keeping Tebow on the roster is not just strategically sound, its just more BB genious. None of us know for sure what BB is planning to do to best capitalize on what TT brings, but even before we know here are the obvious, strategic and even tactical advantages that I can see:

1. Other teams are forced to spend valuable time preparing for him and the "run packages" and his "ball control" style thereby neglecting valuable time into preparing for Tom and his #1 rated offensive attack. MAKES SENSE.

2. The polar opposite offensive styles between a Tebow and TB run offense will drive a DC absolutely nuts if we show a committment to showing it and using it consistantly enough. MAKES SENSE.

3. When the PATs go up by 3-TDs, why not insert Tebow with Blount and two TEs and do what TEBOW does best...ball control, clock killing, making big plays outta nothing type football plays. MAKES SENSE. 

4. Please, don't forget, WE are all use to the great Tom Brady, the cream of the crop in NFL QB history and so we are spoiled by seeing an offense that is a thing of beauty and finness when he is executing. TEBOW may not look good to US, but he is an incredible football player, Heismann Trophy Winner, and a 2-time NCAA National Champion from the QB position. If used the right way as a compliment to Tom, he will give us a dimension that we haven't seen since the Flutie days, but only used when appropriate in an effort to CONTROL THE GAME AND CLOCK vs. putting Tom in the line of fire against all out blitzes. Lets not forget how tough it has been to watch our offense sputter when up by 2-3 TDs only to blame our D when the score got close. Truth, our Offense has had a tendancy to go 3-and-out an awful lot in the late phases of the game when up by multiple scores. TEBOW could be a stop gap to that issue.

BB is a mad scientist and when we win the Superbowl this season, there's gonna be a whole bunch of you out there who are gonna say, DAMN! Tebow was not only relevant, but played a big role in this amazing season. YOU CAN'T DENY HIS FOOTBALL ABILITIES. He's big, strong, tough, can take a beating, and is a winner. DON'T start with the, "YEAH! but this is the NFL. How much of this beating can he take? So we do this and he gets hurt, then what?" Then BB got the most out of the situation that he could. He took advantage of having an advatage until that advantage is gone. We have the best of both worlds with him as a compliment to Tom...maybe not in place of Tom, but in a supplementary role, in our alternate offense, DAMN we got VERSATILITY. Sound familiar.....BB loves it more than anything else!

I do not agree with point #3. It is imperative that the Pats allow Mallett snaps in case something hap[pens to TB. Even if it is a one sided game, Mallett needs snaps. 

+1. Mallet is much more valuable, he will probably take over after Tom.  TT will never be the starting QB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

You indicated that Tebow posed a passing threat that defenses must fear - if he does (which I do not believe) then why would you bring Brady back in?

I didn't say fear, I said the D must respect that he could pass. The point would be that TT poses a passing and running threat on every down, which Tom does not.

I say BB could bring back Brady on an obvious 3rd and long passing down.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:

+1. Mallet is much more valuable, he will probably take over after Tom.  TT will never be the starting QB.

Nobody here has any idea how valuable Mallet is. He has done NOTHING in the NFL. This is just fans overrating people again.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I've never seen so much fuss over a fringe player on the 90 man roster. I assume there is a 3rd QB on the team every year in preseason before cuts. I've never seen a thread about those players.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

I didn't say fear, I said the D must respect that he could pass. The point would be that TT poses a passing and running threat on every down, which Tom does not.

I say BB could bring back Brady on an obvious 3rd and long passing down.

[/QUOTE]

Just checked and you're right - my mistake - you did say respect not fear.

Not sure BB would shuttle TB back in and then Tebow after that.  I guess we'll see if he does indeed make ht 53-man squad.