Does Welker Want to Cement his Chance For the Hall and Greatness (sb's) in New Eng. or strictly got fro the $

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Does Welker Want to Cement his Chance For the Hall and Greatness (sb's) in New Eng. or strictly got fro the $

i think bb does have some leverage to get a deal .... if they pitch it right (also welker doenst want to leave brady).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Re: Does Welker Want to Cement his Chance For the Hall and Greatness (sb's) in New Eng. or strictly got fro the $

I suspect WW will stay here in NE. A chance at the SB every year and catching TB's passes. Another few years of this production WW gives every year will put him in Canton. A long term deal will get done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Does Welker Want to Cement his Chance For the Hall and Greatness (sb's) in New Eng. or strictly got fro the $

Wes Welker wants a Larry Fitzgerald type deal, that's like 15 mill a year. BB wanted to give him a 3 years 27 million, which is more than I would give him. 3 years 15 million is what I would give him. 

He wants the cash, I'd give his 3 year 15 million to Talib anyway. Talib is more valuable to us than Welker, he stablized and made a defense that was terrible good enough to help us limit opposing QBs to sub 250 yard games. 

Talib > Welker. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

I bet Welker walks to where the money is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Three things: 1) This will be Welker`s last big deal and I never fault a player for wanting to cash in because he ain`t exactly gonna be CEO at Goldman Sachs when he retires from football. 2) He is the best slot receiver in the game and his skills have not noticably eroded compared to many WRs over 30 in the past. 3) I expect some team with a young QB (Skins, Seahawks, Bucs) to make a play for him and yet I am sure he knows his best chance is with Brady. When I look at the money Hernandez and Gronk got it`s clear that Kraft and BB see them as the future, as per usual it all comes down to money; if Welker takes a discount he stays, if not he could easily be gone and drafting a a young WR becomes a 2013 draft priority.

If it`s up to me I sign him to a 3 year deal for about $28m. If he wants 3/$45m the Pats will let him walk.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I hope something gets worked out w/ Wes. We have gotten younger the past few yrs but it's good to have excellent veteran players like him who provide a great example.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Wes Welker wants a Larry Fitzgerald type deal, that's like 15 mill a year. BB wanted to give him a 3 years 27 million, which is more than I would give him. 3 years 15 million is what I would give him. 

He wants the cash, I'd give his 3 year 15 million to Talib anyway. Talib is more valuable to us than Welker, he stablized and made a defense that was terrible good enough to help us limit opposing QBs to sub 250 yard games. 

Talib > Welker. 

So wrong here.  I have not heard of Welker wanting A Fitz deal, please post a link where Wes wants this type of deal.

I don't think he wants to break Krafts bank open, but I would think he wants to be paid fairly, especially since he way over played his last contract.  The dude has performed, continues to perform and he needs to be paid!!  As for Talib, while I like what he has done thus far, giving him Welker type money is way uncalled for at this point.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

It would be a HUGE loss if the Pats lose him. This offense is simply not the same with Wes not on the field. Edelman has proven he is not the answer and cannot stay healthy. Let's man up and pay the man! These are Brady's last great years. Now is not the time to take one of his favorite weapons away. It would be nice if they can also find a way to keep Talib in the fold because I like what I see so far.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I think BB made another wise choice. Judging by all the drops this year that usually arent drops, I'd say they are letting him go at just the right time. Is he still productive and an asset to the team, Yes. Is he the same player we got back in 07', No. So why pay him for the next 3 years based on what he did? Now after seeing some decline and weakness in his game, its clear they made the right move by not signing him longterm and if he stays it will be year to year at this  point. I cant recall him ever dropping this many catchable balls in the past.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I think BB made another wise choice. Judging by all the drops this year that usually arent drops, I'd say they are letting him go at just the right time. Is he still productive and an asset to the team, Yes. Is he the same player we got back in 07', No. So why pay him for the next 3 years based on what he did? Now after seeing some decline and weakness in his game, its clear they made the right move by not signing him longterm and if he stays it will be year to year at this  point. I cant recall him ever dropping this many catchable balls in the past.

Is there really a decline in his game? Because of a few drops in a few games you came to this conclusion. Check the stats man. Trust me, the Pats WANT Wes back but only for what they feel is fair market value. Don't be excited about the pospect of moving forward without him. There is noone that can take his place. Hernandez is not the answer either! If Wes leaves who will play slot reciver?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to jam757's comment:

Is there really a decline in his game? Because of a few drops in a few games you came to this conclusion. Check the stats man. Trust me, the Pats WANT Wes back but only for what they feel is fair market value. Don't be excited about the pospect of moving forward without him. There is noone that can take his place. Hernandez is not the answer either! If Wes leaves who will play slot reciver?

I think you misunderstoof my post. I said he is still an asset and may still be around after next year but its just not gonna be a longterm deal IMO. If so, they would have done it already. You dont pay him the Deal a Year After. When I say declining , Yes dropping a lot of balls that he used to make tells me is declining. Is is to the point he cant play anymore? not even close but there in lies the BB theory. If he doesnt pay him and lets him walk, it doenst mean his career is done, it means based on the current market value, they believe he is not worth the money going forward for 3 years and they have a system where the next man has always stepped up. Remember in 06' after we lost branch? we made it to the AFCCG with spare parts so dont try to convince me we cant move the ball with out Wes, because ALL our Titles have come before him. Im just saying how things work here. When Milloy was released most thought he must be done, but he actually just retired LAST YEAR so he played another 9 YEARS after BB deemed him not worthy of a contract so just because Wes can still play doenst garauntee him anything.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I don't see how he isn't already a shoe in for the Pat's HOF.

It also shouldn't be framed as a negative that he wants to get paid... he's earned it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I would say that dropping balls is alot more mental than skills declining. The guy is still VERY hard to cover so if he has declined it's not by much. He's also SUPER durable and there is something to be said for that. What I remember about 2006 and losing to the Colts was a 3rd and 4 play where Branch would have come in very handy. I know Seattle overpaid him but I was sad to see him go at the time. I'll just say i really, REALLY hope Wes sticks around and leave it at that!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Hard to tell with Welker if his game is in decline. I have thought a couple times lately when he could not shake coverage and even on that great punt return that he was a step slower than I remember but that is anectdotal.

The people that matter, the Pats coaching staff know and also have a good idea of where the decline goes from here.

I am thinking he will stay and the contract he gets will reflect their knowlege. Also, There are few QB's out there that could work with him like Brady, look at the Branch experiment. Only incredibly stupid teams would outbid the Pats for him...and I am not sure he would want to go to those teams.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I love Wes and he deserves the money, real question is how do replace his production (Edelman?). Wes has been one of the most consistent WR in the game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

This is one of the only things I hate about football...

If a rookie comes into the league and holds out for a big contract, everyone jumps on him for being greedy without having proved anything.

When a veteran player holds out before his contract is up, everyone jumps on him for not fulfilling his contract.

When a veteran player fulfills his contract, and gets franchised because he completely outperformed wildest expectations, everyone says the franchise tag is part of the collective bargaining agreement.

Here's my question...how does a guy like Wes Welker EVER get paid???

He comes into the league, pays his dues, keeps his nose clean, does everything the right way, is a stellar teammate, tougher than nails, always honors his contract...and yet, somehow, manages to get into his 30's without ever getting a long term contract the likes of which are given to receivers of lesser accomplishment. What the heck was he supposed to do?

Now people say his skills are declining. Of course they are. He is in his 30's and has taken thousands of big hits...without a single complaint. I counted 5 dropped balls from Wes on Monday night, more than I can ever remember. But he also made an amazing catch near the goals line to set up the Hernandez touchdown.

People who say, "He's just a slot receiver," are nuts. There are none other like him. People who say, "Well, he's only great because he plays with Brady," are equally nuts. Name me one other receiver who has played with Brady and caught 100 passes 5 times? Hint: there aren't any, so Welker must be pretty darn good by himself.

Lastly, people who say this offense can hum just as well without Welker just plain don't get football. Converting on third down is eveything in this league. Teams that can do it compete for Super Bowls; teams that can't compete for high draft picks. Welker moves chains as well, if not better, than any receiver in NFL history; he's a human first-down maker.

And the moment he is gone, we will miss him.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Talib > Welker. 

hey 49,  of the several contracts i wnated to offer ww, 3-15 was the first. i went up. we franchised.

he has become even more valuable this year. i say we keep him, restructure contracts if need be.

get him for a moderate contract. i think he can be persuaded (to stay for a mod contract)

re point 2, someone started a thread talib or welker after the game sunday, where i said the same thing you say above. i agree completley. however i keep wes as well. in fact i try to give him 5 years, 2 guaranteed. 4yrs for  talib, 5th yerar team option, behavior and games played conditions written into contract.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ejb222's comment:

I bet Welker walks to where the money is.

hope not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

Three things: 1) This will be Welker`s last big deal and I never fault a player for wanting to cash in because he ain`t exactly gonna be CEO at Goldman Sachs when he retires from football. 2) He is the best slot receiver in the game and his skills have not noticably eroded compared to many WRs over 30 in the past. 3) I expect some team with a young QB (Skins, Seahawks, Bucs) to make a play for him and yet I am sure he knows his best chance is with Brady. When I look at the money Hernandez and Gronk got it`s clear that Kraft and BB see them as the future, as per usual it all comes down to money; if Welker takes a discount he stays, if not he could easily be gone and drafting a a young WR becomes a 2013 draft priority.

If it`s up to me I sign him to a 3 year deal for about $28m. If he wants 3/$45m the Pats will let him walk.

hey hanna, 
    re;
    " if Welker takes a discount he stays"

thats the conversaion i pose, i think we have some leverage,. brady, canton, sbs, staying where hes at.

he could go for the money. its a choice. l like the things on our side.

hey hanna, 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jam757's comment:

It would be a HUGE loss if the Pats lose him. This offense is simply not the same with Wes not on the field. Edelman has proven he is not the answer and cannot stay healthy. Let's man up and pay the man! These are Brady's last great years. Now is not the time to take one of his favorite weapons away. It would be nice if they can also find a way to keep Talib in the fold because I like what I see so far.

+1

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

he has dropped more lately. we'll hav to watch that the rest of the year

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I don't see how he isn't already a shoe in for the Pat's HOF.

It also shouldn't be framed as a negative that he wants to get paid... he's earned it.

hey mb, im referring the the nfl hall. if he conitinues like he is he ahs a shot i think

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

Hard to tell with Welker if his game is in decline. I have thought a couple times lately when he could not shake coverage and even on that great punt return that he was a step slower than I remember but that is anectdotal.

The people that matter, the Pats coaching staff know and also have a good idea of where the decline goes from here.

I am thinking he will stay and the contract he gets will reflect their knowlege. Also, There are few QB's out there that could work with him like Brady, look at the Branch experiment. Only incredibly stupid teams would outbid the Pats for him...and I am not sure he would want to go to those teams.

my thinking as well, adn why i think we can persuade him to take less

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

I love Wes and he deserves the money, real question is how do replace his production (Edelman?). Wes has been one of the most consistent WR in the game.

agree. last year for a bit i considered moving on (esp if not a pat friendly 3 yr deal) and getting a slot guy in th draft when there were so so many good wrs coomng out.

after this year im clearly on board with the sign a contract with him group

Sections
Shortcuts