Does Wes Welker Have Stone Hands???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Does Wes Welker Have Stone Hands???

Its funny but I had an ephinany over the w/e about Wes. I noticed that he really DOES have Bad Hands. Now hear me out everyone. I know he has caught 5 gazillion balls in the last 5 years but ask Yourself how many of those were caught with his hands??  Not many. He likes to let the ball come into his chest and clamp on it. This is good when necessary but far too many times I see Wes jumping and leaving  his feet when not needed only because he wants to catch with his chest. Growing up playing ball I was ALWAYS taught to catch with my hands and never liked catching with my chest because it hurts. Wes actually has stone hands. Think about all the drops he has had and I bet most if not all were because he tried to catch it with his hands which is normal for most and yet another reason I wouldnt sign him. Go back and look at both drops from this years AFCCG and last years SB and the only common factor is him fighting the ball with his hands. LLoyd, Moss, Troy Brown , THOSE guys could catch it anyway but they knew to catch with their hands for the most part. last week somone said Brown couldnt hold Wes' jock and I ask WHY NOT? Brown was faster, more explosive, better hands, more reliable and could do more like play defense but why hasnt he ever negotioated these LARGE contracts??? Cuz slot guys DONT GET PAID! atleast not like that. Its why I dont understand why most of you have even considered paying this guy over 10mill/year no matter what his age is. If this guy deserves 10 mill/year then we owe Troy Brown Retro-active pay . Part of this fan base has turn from informative to delusional. Wes is a Bum!  hard worker, nice guy(not really) but he isnt clutch, fast or anything close to a # 1 so I hope they let em walk so Brady can get a Real GO TO GUY.

I dont have a way of looking it up but I would like for anyone who knows how to try and find as many screens shots possible of him catching the ball. I would say maybe 80% of the time he bring it into his body so when situation occurs that he HAS to make a hands catch, he comes up short (pun intended)

Thoughts on this, or no big deal?  I think he has bad fundamentals....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: Does Wes Welker Have Stone Hands???

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Its funny but I had an ephinany over the w/e about Wes. I noticed that he really DOES have Bad Hands. Now hear me out everyone. I know he has caught 5 gazillion balls in the last 5 years but ask Yourself how many of those were caught with his hands??  Not many. He likes to let the ball come into his chest and clamp on it. This is good when necessary but far too many times I see Wes jumping and leaving  his feet when not needed only because he wants to catch with his chest. Growing up playing ball I was ALWAYS taught to catch with my hands and never liked catching with my chest because it hurts. Wes actually has stone hands. Think about all the drops he has had and I bet most if not all were because he tried to catch it with his hands which is normal for most and yet another reason I wouldnt sign him. Go back and look at both drops from this years AFCCG and last years SB and the only common factor is him fighting the ball with his hands. LLoyd, Moss, Troy Brown , THOSE guys could catch it anyway but they knew to catch with their hands for the most part. last week somone said Brown couldnt hold Wes' jock and I ask WHY NOT? Brown was faster, more explosive, better hands, more reliable and could do more like play defense but why hasnt he ever negotioated these LARGE contracts??? Cuz slot guys DONT GET PAID! atleast not like that. Its why I dont understand why most of you have even considered paying this guy over 10mill/year no matter what his age is. If this guy deserves 10 mill/year then we owe Troy Brown Retro-active pay . Part of this fan base has turn from informative to delusional. Wes is a Bum!  hard worker, nice guy(not really) but he isnt clutch, fast or anything close to a # 1 so I hope they let em walk so Brady can get a Real GO TO GUY.

I dont have a way of looking it up but I would like for anyone who knows how to try and find as many screens shots possible of him catching the ball. I would say maybe 80% of the time he bring it into his body so when situation occurs that he HAS to make a hands catch, he comes up short (pun intended)

Thoughts on this, or no big deal?  I think he has bad fundamentals....

u may be right and i dont see the pats too often but often enough and i dont think u can have "bad hands" and catch 120 balls per year...i know he had a big drop in the last two big games-and i still maintain the sb pass was catchable but very tough-but it's amazing how welker has become public enemy number 1 to certain fans here

i mean i love victor cruz and think he is one of te two-three best young receivers in the game and can be a perennial all-pro but he dropped some baddies this year too...they ALL do even the greats

amazing how those two passes have so changed pats fans perceptions of Welker, to an outside fan at least

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

You know, I've noticed this too.  I assumed it was because he probably has small hands to begin with.  And all those short passes to him are usually thrown low around his mid section.  It seems like Brady gets alot of balls hit at the line of scrimmage because he's throwing down toward receivers like Welker.

When the ball came out of his hands in the Superbowl last year he made a great effort to get his hands on the ball because it wasn't a great throw.  All I could think was if his hands were bigger ( longer fingers) he would have probably held on to it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

42AND46...   when the Pats lose, the "boo" birds come out and see a lot of things wrong with the very same players they were praising for weeks when the team is winning.  Like those posts about trading Brady blah blah blah...  makes you shake your head!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

42AND46...   when the Pats lose, the "boo" birds come out and see a lot of things wrong with the very same players they were praising for weeks when the team is winning.  Like those posts about trading Brady blah blah blah...  makes you shake your head!

agree

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

If this is implying to me, I have never over praised any player, esp. Wes. This is not a knee jerk reaction. I actually said 3 years ago I wanted Wes gone cuz he gives Brady tunnell vision and others are just coming around to saying that now. Like I said I was thinking about it and i could not find that many situations where he has caught the ball with his hands. Jints sais you cant catch 120 balls a year with bad hands and I say "what Hands?"  HE is catching them with  his Chest, Randy actually did this a lot too but the difference is Randy has outstanding hands but he adjusts differently to balls depending on the velocity, height,etc.  This is why balls end up hitting Wes in the facemask because he is too slow to get his hands up because he really wants to be high enough to catch it with his chest. Go back and watch the drop on 4th and 7. He comes wide open but jumps for no reason, doesnt get high enough and THEN puts his hands up too late and fights the ball. These are Bad Habits, masked by a QB who throws low to him but when a throw is eye level or higher he over compensates and tries to get taller. This is bad fundamentals. 120 balls a year is nice but when it counts, he shows his true colors and has stone hands. The proof is out there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUplWq3E3W8

if u look at this highlight reel u will see an example of it. Only a couple of hands catches in there and at the 1:44 mark u can see a perfect example of him jumping when not needed to get the ball into his chest. Sure it looks good when u catch it but when u mistime jump or the ball coming in  and dont have those hands up, drops happen and not surprisingly they always seem to come in the clutch. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Yep, pretty terrible hands

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

If you think he has stone hands, then you have rocks in your head. Roberto Duran had 'hands of stone'.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

I think we can say those catches have been few and far inbetween but let me clarify. Im not saying the guy cant the ball. Im saying he doesnt use his hands that much to catch and there is a reason why because half the time he does, he fights the ball. This is truth. All Im saying is thats why he dropped both balls. Not because he isnt clutch or anything like that but he has trouble with catching those bullets with his hands. This aint even debatable. Go look up his drops if you can. If u wanna say its moot, thats one thing but it is an a correct observation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

Perfect!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

TripleOG..  not aimed at you, but, what generally happens on this forum when the Pats lose a game or exit the playoffs unexpectedly.  Players who garner kudos throughout the season suddenly elicit questions about their value, skills etc to the team after a loss.  As I mentioned in my post, the most amazing comments are calls to trade Brady based on what?  The team lost?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Yeah his 'stone hands' have caught more passes for 1st downs than any other player in pats history.

This thread is just another example of whining by pink helmet fans who appeared after the 1st SB win.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

TripleOG..  not aimed at you, but, what generally happens on this forum when the Pats lose a game or exit the playoffs unexpectedly.  Players who garner kudos throughout the season suddenly elicit questions about their value, skills etc to the team after a loss.  As I mentioned in my post, the most amazing comments are calls to trade Brady based on what?  The team lost?

Cnaces are most of those people are going to be jumping off of the bandwagon when brady retires

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Welker Tough As They Come....

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Its not whining though. Its an observation.  I never said the guy cant catch, I said he avoids using his hands and thats bad fundamentals., They may not come to fruiton in regular season vs the BIlls, Jets, etc but in the last game I saw a guy who was dropping makable catches and in his defense he is used waaaaay more than necessary. I guess as much as I appreciate him and the hits he takes, I just dont see the need to overly praise or pay him. Does anyone know what he is looking for? I know he just made 9.5 million.

Browns best contract paid him 2/5 million to also catch 100 balls but we had a real # 1 in T.Glenn. a running game and a game manager. People think Wes is great based on # of catches but who else has there been to throw too? I dont know why folks think its a good thing for a slot guy to be your offense. I spoke of this 3 years ago and the need to stop using Wes as an extention of the run game. Main reasons are he will be beat up by December. Wes looked like he was constipated that whole game, grimacing and all. So now less work for your run game all year and when u need  it they dont produce. Wes dropped another pass that game when Pollard was looking him up and he heard footsteps. On the sideline. both hands on it. Im just saying he was over used and got bloated stats and thats not a good reason to over pay him. He has 925 career punt return yards though?? he should be doing that more. Brown has 2600 punt return yards with 3 TDs

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Yet another "Let's get rid of the NFL's leading receiver" thread. 

I will never understand these fans that want to get rid of our best players. Hopefully old 'Stone Hands" will be back catching another 100+ balls next year.

Bottom line is I don't give a flying f--k how he catches the ball, as long as he makes the catches. Complaining about a few drops is just beyond ridiculous. In case you hadn't noticed, every single receiver in the NFL has drops....

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

It's actually another thread to try to deflect from Brady having another subpar playoff performance, hurting our chances of winning the game itself. 

Well, Brady is by far one of the most important players on this team, and by far one of the most talented....according to the geniuses here, we should trade him too!! Then maybe Wilfork so we can really strengthen this team....

And that was heavy sarcasm for those that didn't pick up on it.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

agree

+1

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Agreed, Glen R. We have the worst pink hats in our fanbase. Every fanbase has them, but ours are bad.

Whats worse than that Rusty is a liar and a hypocrite. Its funny how you can indirectly agree with me on another thread but since its me you try to act like you dont support the same thing. These are your words I just took from another thread.

"Agree. Been asking for it for 3 years. It's the only way.  The Welker divorce is the key to that happening.

I was all for giving him the chance to make it work, but how much more can we see?

Get Brady back under center, run it more and make Brady more effective circa 2003 or 2004.

Take the targets away from Welker, put them in the hands of an RB."

Ok, Soo I am basically saying the same I am just pointing out valid reasons as to why he is not good for the offense and all casual fans can say is "he leads the league!?!?" but cant understand WHY he does...lol . So if Brady is better now and has the BEST WR in the game according to you guys based on numbers how come they cant connect for a game winning catch? Because in the Big Games, teams look at film and see this little mouse running around catching 10 plus balls a game ALL over the middle and then they take it away in postseason and Wes is too small to do anything about it. He takes ALL his hits to the midsection and head because of his height. Its all nice for stats but by years end, dude is done. Limping around and grimacing after getting his clock cleaned and now that run game you ignored cant produce because everyone is in the middle of the field already waiting for Wes and our lead back cant get outside enough to take them out the  middle. BAll Game! EVERY YEAR IT WILL BE THE SAME  UNTIL THEY LET HIM GO AND FOCUS ON THE RUN AND DEVELOP A REAL #1 RECVIEVER. this aint knee jerk. Ive been saying this for years and the proof is in IMO....glad u guys want him back to pad more stats but Wes as your # 1 hasnt won us jack yet and never will. Bank on it.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

Yet another "Let's get rid of the NFL's leading receiver" thread. 

I will never understand these fans that want to get rid of our best players. Hopefully old 'Stone Hands" will be back catching another 100+ balls next year.

Bottom line is I don't give a flying f--k how he catches the ball, as long as he makes the catches. Complaining about a few drops is just beyond ridiculous. In case you hadn't noticed, every single receiver in the NFL has drops....

It's actually another thread to try to deflect from Brady having another subpar playoff performance, hurting our chances of winning the game itself.

Talking about another player is not a deflection but obviously a reason for you to continue your sick Brady bashing obsession.

It's a fair statement considering Welker had the second most drops in the league with a significant amount of those being the high percentage type catches.

As far as Brady's performance it's very obvious that Welkers, Lloyd's, Hernandez's, Vereen's drops ALL had a bearing on the game and TB's performance, as well as Ridley killing 2 scoring drives and the WHOLE Defenses inability to make stops without benefit of turn-overs.

Learn the game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Lloyd's probably the best receiver on the team when it comes to catching passes with some "touch" on them or using his hands to stretch out and catch something off target.  Lloyd would not be the guy who gets open consistently, moves the chains or gets YAC.  Welker gets open consistently, moves the chains, gets YAC and catches rockets thrown at close range.  Who is a more  valuable receiver?

Sections
Shortcuts