Dolphins @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Dolphins @ Patriots REPORT CARD

The Pats got a much needed, belated Christmas present from the Indianapolis Colts, of all people. With their 28-16 win over the crumbling Houston Texans, Indy allowed New England to seize the second seeding in the AFC tournament, and a bye week, following the Pats' 28-0 white-washing of the Miami Dolphins. Earning a bye is a godsend for the Patriots. It provides an invaluable extra week for the walking wounded to heal, and considerably shortens the Pats' path to the SB in New Orleans...to just two playoff wins. Here are my grades:  

I. OFFENSE: After a bit of a slow start yet again, the Pats were efficient and methodical thereafter...building a 21-0 halftime lead, which was never seriously challenged.

1.) QB:  After being plagued by a touch of inaccuracy and some drops by receivers, Tom took control following a Steve Gregory pick. The turnover gave Tom a short field, and, 28 yards later, he would cash in with a 9 yard TD pass to Wes Welker. It was the 48th straight game in which Brady has passed for a TD, placing him one ahead of Johnny Unitas for second place, in this category. Tom would also surpass Vinny Testaverde for 8th place in all-time pass completions, with 3788, midway through the second quarter. Following the above mentioned Welker TD, Brady would engineer TD drives of 92 and 69 yards, which effectively put an end to any suspense, on this wintry, late afternoon. In all, Tom completed 22 of 36 passes for 284 yards, two TDs, and had no picks. Lots of dinking and dunking today for the Terrifc One, with an exclamation point 23 yard laser TD pass to Gronk in the 4th quarter, to round out the scoring: GRADE: B+;

2.) RBs: It's cold weather games like this, where solid play from the RBs is a necessity. Stevan Ridley had 20 solid, but unspecatular runs for 74 yards, two TDs, and no fumbles. Shane Vereen showed some fire with 8 carries for 38 yards, while Brandon Bolden contributed six carries more, for 26 yards. Finally, Danny Woodhead continued his Kevin Faulk impersonation, rushing for 18 yards on 3 carries, and catching 5 passes for 79 yards: GRADE: B+;

3.) OL: This group finally regained their proide...or responded to a swift kick in the backside from their coaches, and got the job done. Tom Brady was hit only twice, and sacked once, over the entire game. This sort of effort must continue throughout the play-offs, if the Patriots are to get where they want to go: GRADE: A-;

4.) TEs & WRs: Great to see Gronk and Aaron Hernandez back on the field together. Though Gronk hauled in just two passes for 38 yards, one of them set up the Pats' first TD, as it preceeded Brady's 9 yard TD pass to Wes Welker. The other was the aforementioned 23 yard scoring play. As for Hernandez, ever since he got bombed by DeSean Goldson in the 49er loss, it appears that he's been hearing footsteps. He's dropped several passes over the past couple of weeks...and had only 5 catches for 44 yards. Wes Welker was pretty much the sole contributor amongst the WRs...and he continued to make a case for why the Pats should sign him to a lucrative contract extension. Welker added 8 more catches for 94 yards, and a TD, finishing the season with 118 receptions, for 1354 yards. The way this guy moves the chains, drive in and drive out, is amazing. It's hard to visualize where the Pats' offense would be without him: GRADE: B-; 

II. DEFENSE: With the liberal passing rules and the tackling prohibitions, pitching a shut-out in this league has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur. Yet, the Patriots were on the Dolphins all day today, like white on rice...in a full tilt, full time performance, that surely made ol' #54 proud.

1.) DL:  Led by Vince Wilfolk, the Pats' front-line played with anger, and purpose. They limited the 'Fins to just 47 yards rushing, and applied constant pressure to young QB, Ryan Tannehill. The DL accounted for 6 of the 7 sacks registered against Tannehill...with Justin Francis getting 3, and Wilfolk, Trevor Scott, and Brandon Deaderick accounting for the other three. Chandler Jones added 7 tackles (3 solos), including a tackle for loss, and two pass deflections. The only down note was an apparent season ending leg injury suffered by DE, Rob Ninkovich.  If the Pats' can continue applying pressure like this, they'll gain that elusive 4th Lombardi trophy: GRADE: A+;

2.) LBs: The DL play was so dominant, that there wasn't all that much left for this unit to do. Jarod Mayo had a season low 5 tackles. Donta' Hightower added three more, and recovered a fumble at the New England 3 yard line, ending Miami's only real scoring drive for the game...in the 3rd quarter. Hightower also got flagged on what appeared to be a bogus late hit call on Tannehill. This crew also did a solid job defensing RB Reggie Bush, coming out of the backfield as a receiver. Bush was held to just 2 catches for 23 yards. Overall, a rocking chair evening, for what has become a solid LB corp: GRADE: B;  

3.) SECONDARY:  What a difference having a pass rush makes! Huge interception and 13 yard return to the Miami 28 by Steve Gregory. It spurred a somewhat sluggish Pats' offense on to a 21 point first half. Though Kyle Arrington had his usual issues in coverage, he led the team in tackles with 8 (7 solos), and limited any big plays. Patrick Chung and Devin McCourty combined for 10 tackles (9 solos), as they also limited any big plays. In fact, the longest play from scrimmage by Miami was just 22 yards. Patriots' pest Brian Hartline was held to just 5 catches for 69 yards. Not too shabby, especially considering that starting CBs, Aqib Talib and Alonzo Dennard, were out: GRADE: B+;       

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: Pretty solid kicking game by the Pats today, in very windy conditions. Though Zoltan Mesko's punting average doesn't impress, he pouched punted a couple of times, nailing the 'Fins offense, deep in their own territory. Good job of kickoff coverage, though a 14 yard return was allowed on a punt. Wes Welker had another solid, reliable day as a punt returner...returning 4 punts for 30 yards: GRADE: B;

IV. COACHING: Apparently, BB got his message across to his players after two straight sluggish performances. Improved OL play was noticable. Occasional blitzing seemed to be quite effective. Got some rust off Gronk...but would like to see Brandon Lloyd incorporated more into the offense. Still, it's likely that the Pats were in vanilla mode, with the play-offs on the horizon. Good to see Chandler Jones back in the swing of things. Could the Patriots have a diamond in the rough, in Justin Francis? Time will tell: GRADE: A;

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: The Gregory first quarter interception got the Pats rolling!;

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: Wes Welker and Danny Woodhead were outstanding. Edge: Wes Welker.

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=321230017 

As always, your comments and opinions are welcome...especially from the esteemed, learned members of the Ostrich Society...LOL!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Re: Dolphins @ Patriots REPORT CARD

great post tex.. I personally would grade the D a bit higher. they played great, got the ball back to the O and dominated most of the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

NEWS-FLASH!!!! Here is a report card from the esteemed Ostrich Society on todays' game!!!

I. OFFENSE: Perfect in every way, and tomorrow's another day!!

1.) QB:  Tom is better than God. Every play was executed to perfection! Who is that Montana guy??: GRADE: A++;

2.) RBs: It's okay if Stevan Ridley fumbles every now and then. After all, he's human!! We all make mistakes!! But, no fumbles today! GRADE: A++;

3.) OL: The Alps couldn't protect Tom Brady better than these giants! Oh, I said a bad word! Ooops: GRADE: A++;

4.) TEs & WRs: Well yes, we know that Aaron Hernandez didn't hang on to a pass or two. But, look at all the great plays he's made for us in the past! Gronk is back! Disregard that huge cast on his arm. He's just using it as a foreign object, to club opposing players into submission. It's like having a steel chair within arms reach, while on the gridiron! So what if Deion Branch and Brandon Lloyd only caught two passes. They were doing a great job as decoys, allowing Wes Welker to get free...weeeeeeee!!!: GRADE: A++;

II . DEFENSE: '85 Bears...move over!! The Steel Curtain looks like a shade, compared to our Patriots' Picket Line!

1.) DL: Vince Wilfolk ate Miami's RG!! The 'Fins had to play a man short for the remainder of the game! It's the first time in NFL history that a football team ran a power play!! Justin Francis played the point, and got the hat-trick, with 3 sacks!! Gee wiz, over a 16 game schedule, we'd bet he'll have at least 48 for the 2013 season!: GRADE: A++;

2.) LBs: The way our DL played, we didn't even need LBs!! GRADE: A++;

3.) SECONDARY: BB can find 4 guys off the street, and turn them into a cohesive unit! Heck, even Darius Butler...err, no...even Ras-I Dowling...err, no...even Terrence Wheatley...err, no...even Duane Starks...err, no...even Guss Scott and Dexter Reid...err, no. Well...I'm sure Tony my snow plow guy could become a star under BB.: GRADE: A++;

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: Everything about this team is so special :) !! GRADE: A++;

IV. COACHING: In Bill, We Trust. GRADE: A++;

V: PLAY OF THE GAME: Every play was special, in it's own way.

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: Everyone...including the equipment manager, who provided extra warm weather clothing, to keep the players toasty!!  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Apparently, there are some "ostriches" in the Miami front office, who believe that the 'Fins aren't that far away from contending with the Patriots:  http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/31/3162069/armando-salguero-score-tells-the.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's another report card on today's game: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1462288-miami-dolphins-vs-new-england-patriots-instant-grades-analysis-for-miami

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's a thorough report card in the Miami Herald, on the game:  http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/31/3162126/grading-the-game-dolphins-vs-patriots.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Whatever, dude.

Really don't know what happened to you over the years. You used to be one of my favorite reads on the board. Now, you're like a three-year-old who lost his binky and must throw a temper tantrum to get everyone to commiserate with him.

Real Pats fans don't use the word "homer" when talking about other Pats fans; that's what trolls do. This is not Sports Illustrated or some other neutral sports site; it is a Patriots Fan bulletin board, and if Pats fans want to see the Pats through rose-colored glasses...hell, that's the way it should be. Sports is entertainment; a diversion of guilty pleasure for those whose livelihood is not dependent upon winning. Who the hell wants to waste time reading a barrage of complaints from amateur analysts?

I, like many others on this board, think the Patriots have a good enough team to win the Super Bowl. I, like many others, also think they can be beaten. I choose to carry the positive vibe, rather than the negative one, because I am a fan, and I want them to win. Whatever weaknesses they may have will not be solved by my worrying about them, one bit. So why bother worrying?

You get all bent out of shape over things that happened in the past and cannot be changed; missed field goals, missed first downs, missed draft picks, missed whateverthefuck. None of those things means jack when the Pats next take the field. All that matters is they bring their best game and execute it. If that is good enough to win, they will be champions; if not, praise the winners, and rev it up next year.

If your desire in life is to be a well-respected sportswriter/critic, there is nothing wrong with that ambition. But, if so, you're in the wrong place. Trying to impose a mindset of neutrality on an affinity base that is purposefully--and rabidly--partial, is a bit ridiculous.

And, if you honestly cannot comprehend this, then it is you who have your head buried in the sand.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

NEWS-FLASH!!!! Here is a report card from the esteemed Ostrich Society on todays' game!!!

1.) QB:  Tom is better than God. Every play was executed to perfection! Who is that Montana guy??: GRADE: A++;

2.) RBs: It's okay if Stevan Ridley fumbles every now and then. After all, he's human!! We all make mistakes!! But, no fumbles today! GRADE: A++;

3.) OL: The Alps couldn't protect Tom Brady better than these giants! Oh, I said a bad word! Ooops: GRADE: A++;

4.) TEs & WRs: Well yes, we know that Aaron Hernandez didn't hang on to a pass or two. But, look at all the great plays he's made for us in the past! Gronk is back! Disregard that huge cast on his arm. He's just using it as a foreign object, to club opposing players into submission. It's like having a steel chair within arms reach, while on the gridiron! So what if Deion Branch and Brandon Lloyd only caught two passes. They were doing a great job as decoys, allowing Wes Welker to get free...weeeeeeee!!!: GRADE: A++;

II . DEFENSE: '85 Bears...move over!! The Steel Curtain looks like a shade, compared to our Patriots' Picket Line!

1.) DL: Vince Wilfolk ate Miami's RG!! The 'Fins had to play a man short for the remainder of the game! It's the first time in NFL history that a football team ran a power play!! Justin Francis played the point, and got the hat-trick, with 3 sacks!! Gee wiz, over a 16 game schedule, we'd bet he'll have at least 48 for the 2013 season!: GRADE: A++;

3.) SECONDARY: BB can find 4 guys off the street, and turn them into a cohesive unit! Heck, even Darius Butler...err, no...even Ras-I Dowling...err, no...even Terrence Wheatley...err, no...even Duane Starks...err, no...even Guss Scott and Dexter Reid...err, no. Well...I'm sure Tony my snow plow guy could become a star under BB.: GRADE: A++;

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: Everyone...including the equipment manager, who provided extra warm weather clothing, to keep the players toasty!!  

[/QUOTE]

You missed some A+++++ ratings in there, TP!!  (((-;

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Great post - only difference I have is a lower grade on secondary. Two times fins recievers got behind them and QB overthrows prevented easy TDs

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Whatever, dude.

Really don't know what happened to you over the years. You used to be one of my favorite reads on the board. Now, you're like a three-year-old who lost his binky and must throw a temper tantrum to get everyone to commiserate with him.

Real Pats fans don't use the word "homer" when talking about other Pats fans; that's what trolls do. This is not Sports Illustrated or some other neutral sports site; it is a Patriots Fan bulletin board, and if Pats fans want to see the Pats through rose-colored glasses...hell, that's the way it should be. Sports is entertainment; a diversion of guilty pleasure for those whose livelihood is not dependent upon winning. Who the hell wants to waste time reading a barrage of complaints from amateur analysts?

I, like many others on this board, think the Patriots have a good enough team to win the Super Bowl. I, like many others, also think they can be beaten. I choose to carry the positive vibe, rather than the negative one, because I am a fan, and I want them to win. Whatever weaknesses they may have will not be solved by my worrying about them, one bit. So why bother worrying?

You get all bent out of shape over things that happened in the past and cannot be changed; missed field goals, missed first downs, missed draft picks, missed whateverthefuck. None of those things means jack when the Pats next take the field. All that matters is they bring their best game and execute it. If that is good enough to win, they will be champions; if not, praise the winners, and rev it up next year.

If your desire in life is to be a well-respected sportswriter/critic, there is nothing wrong with that ambition. But, if so, you're in the wrong place. Trying to impose a mindset of neutrality on an affinity base that is purposefully--and rabidly--partial, is a bit ridiculous.

And, if you honestly cannot comprehend this, then it is you who have your head buried in the sand.

[/QUOTE]

Great Post NY Pats.

I don't know who TP is talking about regarding who said that the Pats are a "Perfect Team".  There must be some figment of his imagination at work here.  I for one believe that the Patriots are a very good team that has the ability to play great.  Do they do everything great at all times?  Heck no.  Therefor, just like every other team in the NFL, they can be beat if they don't bring their "A" Game.

Texas Pat needs to get off his high horse.  When I first read his grading, I thought that it was pretty good.  But then he had to get in his shots with the second post mocking fans.  I think he is a legend in his own mind.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Whatever, dude.

[/QUOTE]

Great Post NY Pats.

I don't know who TP is talking about regarding who said that the Pats are a "Perfect Team".  There must be some figment of his imagination at work here.  I for one believe that the Patriots are a very good team that has the ability to play great.  Do they do everything great at all times?  Heck no.  Therefor, just like every other team in the NFL, they can be beat if they don't bring their "A" Game.

Texas Pat needs to get off his high horse.  When I first read his grading, I thought that it was pretty good.  But then he had to get in his shots with the second post mocking fans.  I think he is a legend in his own mind.

[/QUOTE]

Oh...did I offend the esteemed Ostrich Society? Goodness me...please forgive me.

LOL!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The rest is indeed needed for the Pats.  The secondary is not deep and needs to heal.  Gronk didn't need to be out there.  Still nursing that arm of his.  Two more weeks will do wonders for him which is very important!  Thank you Colts.  Wow, how could I ever say that?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Whatever, dude.

[/QUOTE]

Great Post NY Pats.

[/QUOTE]

Oh...did I offend the esteemed Ostrich Society? Goodness me...please forgive me.

LOL!!!

[/QUOTE]

KMA

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

Whatever, dude.

Real Pats fans don't use the word "homer" when talking about other Pats fans; that's what trolls do.

RESPONSE: Real fans don't whine any time their team is criticized in any way. Do you realize that you're aligning yourself with the likes of Rusty? That should give you reason to pause.

This is not Sports Illustrated or some other neutral sports site; it is a Patriots Fan bulletin board, and if Pats fans want to see the Pats through rose-colored glasses...hell, that's the way it should be. Sports is entertainment; a diversion of guilty pleasure for those whose livelihood is not dependent upon winning. Who the hell wants to waste time reading a barrage of complaints from amateur analysts?

RESPONSE: It's a Patriots forum! What gives you the right to dictate what should and shouldn't be said here? 

RESPONSE: Don't you realize that people who take the time to criticize only do so because they care about the fortunes of their team? They are the true fans...not the gutless wimps who comprise the Ostrich Society.   

RESPONSE: What an ridiculous statement. That loss to Arizona early in the season cost the Patriots the #1 seed in the AFC. By the grace of God, the Texans choked away their bye...giving the Pats a new life. With all the injuries this team is dealing with, I doubt that they would advasnce to the SB, without this extra week off to heal.   

RESPONSE: You tepid, can't complain about the Pats types make this place boring...and drive away many posters. Who the hell are you homers to regulate what is said here? What gives you and your ilk the right to constantly personally attack people who dare state a critical opinion?

RESPONSE: You homers are cowards...afraid to state your positions. After all, you could be wrong? Big whoop!

[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Don't like "homers" do you TP?  Every fan base has them and there are plenty here.  The point of NCPats post is to, hopefully, have you acknowledge there are many, many Pats' fans who simply maintain a positive vibe and do not dwell on the negative or carp about shortcomings the team has had in recent games.  When folks like that do counter your opinion, instead of accepting them, like they have accepted your positions/opinion, you go about calling folks names like "homers" a member of the "Ostrich society", Pink Hats etc..   In my case, I do not dwell on a loss and move on to the next game.  I may "argue" with a poster with whom I may have a different opinion or view of a game/play.  Isn't that what a forum is all about?  What I hate the most is when the name calling starts and the string is reduced to name calling losing all semblance of a discussion. Your reports such as this are a fine read and keep it that way and "argue" your position without succumbing to name calling.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Whatever, dude.

Real Pats fans don't use the word "homer" when talking about other Pats fans; that's what trolls do.

RESPONSE: Real fans don't whine any time their team is criticized in any way. Do you realize that you're aligning yourself with the likes of Rusty? That should give you reason to pause.

This is not Sports Illustrated or some other neutral sports site; it is a Patriots Fan bulletin board, and if Pats fans want to see the Pats through rose-colored glasses...hell, that's the way it should be. Sports is entertainment; a diversion of guilty pleasure for those whose livelihood is not dependent upon winning. Who the hell wants to waste time reading a barrage of complaints from amateur analysts?

RESPONSE: It's a Patriots forum! What gives you the right to dictate what should and shouldn't be said here? 

RESPONSE: Don't you realize that people who take the time to criticize only do so because they care about the fortunes of their team? They are the true fans...not the gutless wimps who comprise the Ostrich Society.   

RESPONSE: What an ridiculous statement. That loss to Arizona early in the season cost the Patriots the #1 seed in the AFC. By the grace of God, the Texans choked away their bye...giving the Pats a new life. With all the injuries this team is dealing with, I doubt that they would advasnce to the SB, without this extra week off to heal.   

RESPONSE: You tepid, can't complain about the Pats types make this place boring...and drive away many posters. Who the hell are you homers to regulate what is said here? What gives you and your ilk the right to constantly personally attack people who dare state a critical opinion?

RESPONSE: You homers are cowards...afraid to state your positions. After all, you could be wrong? Big whoop!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So what is there to state Professor Oh So Wise?  That the secondary is in trouble when it stays in zone too long?  That when Brady get's hit often his accuracy suffers like most QB's?  That sometimes we have a Pass Rush and sometimes we don't?  That we don't have a good Kick Returner? 

W-T-F Man, We all know that.  Is it a crime to be happy with a win?  You want to keep hammering the same old garbage over and over again even when they win?  Cowards My A-----ss.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

Whatever, dude.

[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Tex has turned into the most bitter, angry, resentful person on this board.  No one is saying NE is unbeatable, but most of us recognize how special this era of Patriots football has been, and how good this team has been and continues to be.  Like you said, it's not a crime to be optimistic about a really, really good team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Whatever, dude.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So what is there to state Professor Oh So Wise?  That the secondary is in trouble when it stays in zone too long?  That when Brady get's hit often his accuracy suffers like most QB's?  That sometimes we have a Pass Rush and sometimes we don't?  That we don't have a good Kick Returner?

RESPONSE: Their secondary is in trouble without a healthy Talib, and a consistent pass-rush. Brady's accuracy suffers when he begins to hear footsteps, and has to rush his throws. Without a consistent pass-rush, the Pats' very mediocre secondary gets exposed. Losing Julian Edelman was a bigger loss than most think. The guy was beginning to blossom as a receiver, when he went down. He also was one of the best punt returners in the game. Answer your questions, junior?        

W-T-F Man, We all know that.  Is it a crime to be happy with a win?  You want to keep hammering the same old garbage over and over again even when they win?  Cowards My A-----ss.  

RESPONSE: Your ignorance is striking. Did they teach you to read in North Carolina? If so, go back and read my report card on the game. Where was I critical of the Pats for any of the things you claim I complained about?  

[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Whatever, dude.

2nd Response: I do not whine about the criticism of a team. I do not whine at all. I do find it sad that a grown man (yourself) seems to get so little enjoyment out of watching a historically great sports franchise, but feels so compelled to criticize fellow fans who derive great enjoyment from the same.

If we knew the Pats would win every game, there would be no reason to watch on Sunday. The fact that sports is played by human beings, who, in all their triumphs and frailties, are capable of winning or losing on any given day, is what makes sports compelling.

2nd Response: I have no right to dictate what should and shouldn't be said. I have never asked for such a right.

I do have the right to not read what I am not interested in. I often choose to exercise that right.

2nd Response: I take no exception to criticism of the Patriots team for its prior performance. Criticizing fellow fans because they do not share your pessimism regarding the team's future prospects is a different issue, however. Calling them gutless wimps because they do not agree with your assessment of the team's chances is childish.

2nd Response: Winning all 16 games would have been nice, and would have guaranteed the #1 seed. They did not do so. No amount of b!tching about lost opportunities will bring those opportunities back. I assure you Brady and Belichick are looking forward, thankfully. Why can't you?

Five of the last seven Super Bowl Champions have not had the benefit of a bye. What they did have was, A) a playoff spot, B) the belief they could turn that spot into a title, and, C) the knowledge that the league doesn't spot you a TD just for having a high seed.

2nd Response: One of the beautiful things about the United States is that we have a constitution that provides for freedom of speech, so you are free to write whatever you wish. I have no desire to regulate your rights. Nor do I have an "ilk" in this, or any other, forum; I speak for myself and myself, alone.

There are many people in this forum, not just you, who are critical of some aspect of Patriots play, be it the offense, the defense, a particular player or coach, play calling or coaching strategies. Some are well-versed and literate in their critiques; others are not. Either way, I have no problem with anyone's heartfelt criticism of Patriots play, even when arguments break out from differences of opinion.

However, you, alone on this forum (except for trolls), criticize Patriots fans for the crime of being enthusiastic Patriots fans. As if anyone who does not share a critically pessimistic view must have his head buried in the sand. While you have every right to voice this opinion, I have every right to voice that I think this opinion is bizarre, considering that you are posting it on a Patriots Fan site, not exactly a bastion of neutrality.

2nd Response: If you feel I am a "coward" simply because it does not bother me in the least that fans get passionately optimistic about their team, then a coward I must be. Kudos to you. But Afraid to state my positions? Here's my position, dude...

I like the Patriots. Win or lose, I like the Patriots. I think they're really good. I think they're smart and talented, and execute their corporate mission as well as any other team in the NFL.

That doesn't mean they don't make mistakes. Yep, they'll screw up a draft pick here and there; make errors in judgment here and there; lose a game they should have won here and there. But what I really LOVE about this team is that they do not stay married to their past mistakes. Bad play in the playbook? Throw it out! Bad 2nd-round draft pick? Cut the sucker! Poor handling of the ball during a game? Coach and re-coach protecting the rock!

Meanwhile, they do improve as the year goes on. It's almost become a mantra among the players: "I just want to get better this week." They keep their eye on the prize ahead; not on the errors in their wake.

They have put together one of the most amazing decade-long runs in the history of sports. I hope they win the Lombardi this year. I think they have a great shot at it. But if they don't win it, I hope that they represent themselves well, and are beaten by a better team rather than beating themselves.

But win or lose, I'll enjoy every down. And, God willing, I will root for them again next year.

One of the great moments of my life was seeing my dad, RIP, get to see the Red Sox win the World Series in 2004. He rabidly supported the Sox since 1949. I marvel at all the sh!tty seasons my poor father had to endure, and the calamities of '67, 75', and '86. But the sheer jubilation of '04 made every season beforehand worth it. I had figured the Sox for dead when they went down 3-0 to the Pinstripes...but, inning by inning, out by out, he kept believing, despite a half century of heartbreak. When the Sox finally pulled it off, the old guy was beaming for a solid month afterward. His belief in this perenially bumbling loser of team (his "homerism," as you would call it) is one of the most beautiful memories I have left of him.

So, I'll not knock a fan's faith in his own team, no matter how illogical or whimsical. I honestly don't think that the Colts will win the Super Bowl this year, but if an Indy fan on an Indy forum honestly believes they will, then God bless that fan for his belief. I hope he enjoys every down of his team's play, as I will mine.

I LOVE the Patriots, because I am from Massachusetts. I am OPTIMISTIC about the Patriots' title chances, because I believe they are as talented and well coached as any other team in the tournament.

That is my position.

My head is above ground.

My name is not Scrooge.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Whatever, dude.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Their secondary is in trouble without a healthy Talib, and a consistent pass-rush. Brady's accuracy suffers when he begins to hear footsteps, and has to rush his throws. Without a consistent pass-rush, the Pats' very mediocre secondary gets exposed. Losing Julian Edelman was a bigger loss than most think. The guy was beginning to blossom as a receiver, when he went down. He also was one of the best punt returners in the game. Answer your questions, junior?        

RESPONSE: Your ignorance is striking. Did they teach you to read in North Carolina? If so, go back and read my report card on the game. Where was I critical of the Pats for any of the things you claim I complained about?  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Look Cow Pie for Brains, you still don't understand what most people don't like about you do ya?  And you're calling me ignorant?   It doesn't matter anymore because I don't give a Rats A----ss what you write anymore because you no longer exist to me.  

To the rest of this Forum, I wish you all a Happy New Year.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Whatever, dude.

2nd Response: I do not whine about the criticism of a team. I do not whine at all. I do find it sad that a grown man (yourself) seems to get so little enjoyment out of watching a historically great sports franchise, but feels so compelled to criticize fellow fans who derive great enjoyment from the same.

3rd RESPONSE: Historically great?? How so? Historically great teams are measured by championships won...not regular season wins, or divisional titles. The Pats need that 4th title to be placed in the same category as the Packers of the 60s, Steelers of the 70s, and the 49ers of the 80s.

Criticize fellow fans?? They are the ones who have launched personal attacks repeatedly on anyone who dares to criticize the Pats...myself included. But, give these homers a bit of the business back, and, like you, they whine like a stuck pig. It's pathetic, seeing grown men such as yourself, whine.    

If we knew the Pats would win every game, there would be no reason to watch on Sunday. The fact that sports is played by human beings, who, in all their triumphs and frailties, are capable of winning or losing on any given day, is what makes sports compelling.

2nd Response: I have no right to dictate what should and shouldn't be said. I have never asked for such a right.

3rd RESPONSE: No...you did not ask for it...you demanded it! Go back and re-read your own words, above. You criticize me personally, in an attempt to shut me up.

I do have the right to not read what I am not interested in. I often choose to exercise that right.

#3rd RESPONSE: Why don't you exercise that right, now? No one is forcing you to read or accept my opinions. Instead, you and other Ostrich Societeers attempt to silence me with personal attacks. That's fine...but don't whine when I come right back at ya!  

2nd Response: I take no exception to criticism of the Patriots team for its prior performance. Criticizing fellow fans because they do not share your pessimism regarding the team's future prospects is a different issue, however. Calling them gutless wimps because they do not agree with your assessment of the team's chances is childish.

3rd RESPONSE: As I have stated on numerous occasions, I tire of seeing the personal attacks launched upon me and others, who dare criticize the Pats. I'm not going to stand for it, anymore. You Ostrich Societeers...it's on!   

2nd Response: Winning all 16 games would have been nice, and would have guaranteed the #1 seed. They did not do so. No amount of b!tching about lost opportunities will bring those opportunities back. I assure you Brady and Belichick are looking forward, thankfully. Why can't you?

3rd RESPONSE: Do you deny the fact that there were lost opportunities? Why does hearing that bother you? Does it interfere with your hope that somehow, someway, the Pats will get it done? I prefer to live in reality. What is there to talk about if we all are supposed to hold hands, and hope the Pats do better? Criticism brings about results sometimes, even if it starts from a lowly fan, or amatuer analyst...to use your words. When enough people complain, something usually get done to rectify the problems. It's like when Pats' fans boo the Pats at The Razor, when they perform poorly. It sends a message.  

Five of the last seven Super Bowl Champions have not had the benefit of a bye. What they did have was, A) a playoff spot, B) the belief they could turn that spot into a title, and, C) the knowledge that the league doesn't spot you a TD just for having a high seed.

3rd RESPONSE: The Pats have never won a SB, without the benefit of a bye week.  

RESPONSE: The tepid, can't complain about the Pats types make this place boring...and drive away many posters. Who the hell are you homers to regulate what is said here? What gives you and your ilk the right to constantly personally attack people who dare state a critical opinion?

2nd Response: One of the beautiful things about the United States is that we have a constitution that provides for freedom of speech, so you are free to write whatever you wish. I have no desire to regulate your rights. Nor do I have an "ilk" in this, or any other, forum; I speak for myself and myself, alone.

There are many people in this forum, not just you, who are critical of some aspect of Patriots play, be it the offense, the defense, a particular player or coach, play calling or coaching strategies. Some are well-versed and literate in their critiques; others are not. Either way, I have no problem with anyone's heartfelt criticism of Patriots play, even when arguments break out from differences of opinion.

However, you, alone on this forum (except for trolls), criticize Patriots fans for the crime of being enthusiastic Patriots fans. As if anyone who does not share a critically pessimistic view must have his head buried in the sand. While you have every right to voice this opinion, I have every right to voice that I think this opinion is bizarre, considering that you are posting it on a Patriots Fan site, not exactly a bastion of neutrality.

3rd RESPONSE: Again...I'm tired of good football conversation being drowned out by personal attacks by the likes of Ostrich Societeers, Rusty, and speech regulators like you. Many good posters who once were regulars here, have left this cite because of it. I've decided to try to do something about it.

2nd Response: If you feel I am a "coward" simply because it does not bother me in the least that fans get passionately optimistic about their team, then a coward I must be. Kudos to you. But Afraid to state my positions? Here's my position, dude...

I like the Patriots. Win or lose, I like the Patriots. I think they're really good. I think they're smart and talented, and execute their corporate mission as well as any other team in the NFL.

That doesn't mean they don't make mistakes. Yep, they'll screw up a draft pick here and there; make errors in judgment here and there; lose a game they should have won here and there. But what I really LOVE about this team is that they do not stay married to their past mistakes. Bad play in the playbook? Throw it out! Bad 2nd-round draft pick? Cut the sucker! Poor handling of the ball during a game? Coach and re-coach protecting the rock!

Meanwhile, they do improve as the year goes on. It's almost become a mantra among the players: "I just want to get better this week." They keep their eye on the prize ahead; not on the errors in their wake.

They have put together one of the most amazing decade-long runs in the history of sports. I hope they win the Lombardi this year. I think they have a great shot at it. But if they don't win it, I hope that they represent themselves well, and are beaten by a better team rather than beating themselves.

But win or lose, I'll enjoy every down. And, God willing, I will root for them again next year.

3rd RESPONSE: Good for you. But, I'm a bit more passionate.! I like talking football, and the Pats...both good and bad. If that bothers you, don't read! But, who the hell are you to try to censor me?  

One of the great moments of my life was seeing my dad, RIP, get to see the Red Sox win the World Series in 2004. He rabidly supported the Sox since 1949. I marvel at all the sh!tty seasons my poor father had to endure, and the calamities of '67, 75', and '86. But the sheer jubilation of '04 made every season beforehand worth it. I had figured the Sox for dead when they went down 3-0 to the Pinstripes...but, inning by inning, out by out, he kept believing, despite a half century of heartbreak. When the Sox finally pulled it off, the old guy was beaming for a solid month afterward. His belief in this perenially bumbling loser of team (his "homerism," as you would call it) is one of the most beautiful memories I have left of him.

3rd RESPONSE: My family members suffered, too. One of the reasons why the Sox were so bad for so long is that fans accepted bad teams, and a bad product. They kept coming to the games, and patronizing the foolish baseball decisions made by then owner, Tom Yawky. The same thing has been going on now for decades in Chicago, with the Cubs!  It wasn't until new ownership came in, started spending money, and putting baseball people in charge, that things started to change. The Patriots' success from 2001-04 had a great influence on the actions of the Red Sox...and changed the attitudes and expectations of the New England fan base. This indirectly led to positive changes, and MLB championships in 2004, and 2007.  

So, I'll not knock a fan's faith in his own team, no matter how illogical or whimsical. I honestly don't think that the Colts will win the Super Bowl this year, but if an Indy fan on an Indy forum honestly believes they will, then God bless that fan for his belief. I hope he enjoys every down of his team's play, as I will mine.

3rd RESPONSE: Ostrich Society members aren't just those with blind faith in their team. They deal only in hope, not reality. They personally attack anyone who dare challenges the status quo of the team...or criticizes the team in any way. Then, they smuggly hide behind their fandom. They are cowards...because they fear taking a strong position on their team. 

I LOVE the Patriots, because I am from Massachusetts. I am OPTIMISTIC about the Patriots' title chances, because I believe they are as talented and well coached as any other team in the tournament.

That is my position.

My head is above ground.

My name is not Scrooge.

3rd RESPONSE: So, because I dare criticize the Pats, and expect nothing less than a title from them, I am Scrooge?? LOL!!!

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Nice report card...pretty reasonable. Tough to read into or evaluate a game that the opossing team had nothing to play for and quit half way through though. Bring on the post season!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

[QUOTE]

That is my position.

My head is above ground.

My name is not Scrooge.

Thanks for your great post.  

I was born and raised in Massachusetts too and became a Red Sox fan in 1967.  I can definately relate to what you said.  I also was a Patriot Season Ticket Holder during the early 70's and remember some pretty crappy teams back then and throughout the years including the Victor Kiam Period.

So in the past 10 years, we as New England Fans have had 3 Super Bowl Victories, 2 World Series Championships, 1 NBA Championship and a Stanley Cup.    I don't know what if any future championships are in store for us but I too am optomistic because I would much rather feel that way and my head isn't in the sand either.  

Happy New Year 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is one of your best report cards.  Except the RBs and Dline should be A+++++.  Good work.