Dolphins bring aboard Gary Guyton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Dolphins bring aboard Gary Guyton

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/13/dolphins-bring-aboard-gary-guyton/

The Dolphins worked out free agent linebacker Gary Guyton on Tuesday, and on Friday he was formally added to the Fins’ offseason roster, according to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.

Guyton, 26, made the Patriots’ roster as an undrafted free agent out of Georgia Tech in 2008. Guyton runs well for a 6-foot-3, 245-pound linebacker and flashed cover skills in New England, but struggled in nickel packages last season. The Patriots made little or no attempt to re-sign him.

The Dolphins are expected to run a base 4-3 defense under new coordinator Kevin Coyle. Guyton will compete for playing time at outside ‘backer

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Dolphins bring aboard Gary Guyton

THis one guy that honestly can say doesn't give it his all on every play. Gary can run as well as anybody and has talent, but I've seen him fill the hole and stop a back on a critical third down play, and then I've seen him avoid contact and whiff on other plays. To me the guy is a tease.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

nice, the dolphins get weaker!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

guyton definiately out performed his pay/draft status (or lack there of)  he was a good back up and i thank him for his service to this team!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

That pretty much makes the Dolphins the Super Bowl favorites...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Not surprising the Pats didn't re-sign him after his falling off the depth chart last year.  I liked Guyton--mostly because I think he did well for an undrafted free agent--but he was always a borderline guy who stayed around, I think, mostly because he was smart enough to run the defense when Mayo was out and was versatile enough to back up at a couple of different LB positions.  For all his speed, he never seemed to be quite as good in pass coverage as one would hope and really had no pass rush skills. Still, he contributed more than anyone could have expected given his undrafted status, and I wish him well (but not too well on the DolphinsWink).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Good luck to him. Good trooper while here. I think the Bobby Carptenter signing as a STs option at LB and depth signing pretty much squeezed Guyton out the door. 

I could never put my finger on why this guy wasn't better than he was while here.  Speed, athleticism, good experience, but he never could really make enough plays.

His best play was probably that pick 6 in Week 1 in 2010 against Cincy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

never came through for us.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: Dolphins bring aboard Gary Guyton:
    [QUOTE]guyton definiately out performed his pay/draft status (or lack there of)  he was a good back up and i thank him for his service to this team!
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

Agreed. No reason to hate on the guy. The Pats weren't going to pay him, or play him. The Dolphins did pay him, and may play him. Good luck to him...except of course when he faces our boys. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I liked Guyton, he made a few plays while he was here. Some people here demand all-pro caliber type play from all of the Patriots players, including backups, and that's just foolish.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

bass is exactly right on Guyton...he just couldn't quite get together.  He'd sometimes make some elite plays...but most of the time would be simply and afterthought, not making the stat sheet.  Odd.