Dolphins made a big mistake.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

Re: Dolphins made a big mistake.

Here's to wishful thinking. I think he'll burn you more than "a couple" of times. You know as well as I this changes things in the AFC east dramatically.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

he is a phenomenal player, but he is bound to get in trouble. its in his character.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

I thought the same thing when we got Randy Moss.  Biggest difference is that the Phins have sacrificed an awful lot on this move.  No doubt Parcels spent a few hours interrogating Marshall before making this move.  Only time will tell.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

In Response to Re: Dolphins made a big mistake.:
    I thought the same thing when we got Randy Moss.  Biggest difference is that the Phins have sacrificed an awful lot on this move.  No doubt Parcels spent a few hours interrogating Marshall before making this move.  Only time will tell.   
    Posted by MarcW1

1. Randy Moss doesnt beat his wife. his issues had to do with onfield motivation
    2. Big difference b/w miami and Boston lol
    3. we gave a 4th round pick and paid a very small contract.

there was virtually no risk to Randy Moss. at worst, they cut him and thats it.

in this case, they are committed to Marshall and spent a lot of resources on this move. Huge gamble.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

In Response to Re: Dolphins made a big mistake. : 1. Randy Moss doesnt beat his wife. his issues had to do with onfield motivation 2. Big difference b/w miami and Boston lol 3. we gave a 4th round pick and paid a very small contract. there was virtually no risk to Randy Moss. at worst, they cut him and thats it. in this case, they are committed to Marshall and spent a lot of resources on this move. Huge gamble.
    Posted by btownteamsrking

Randy Moss was a huge gamble and he wasn't as good as Brandon Marshall is now especially when you factor in his age of 26. Everybody on this board was begging NE's top brass to go after Marshall. Now that he's a Dolphin it's a bad move? Go figure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Huh, Homer Perfect72 does exactly as a homer SHOULD do, laud bad moves by your team. Now, who's everybody? Cause I certainly didn't want the NE brass toscrew up this team by bringing in someone who'll be suspended within a year. NE wants players that WANT to win championships NOT players who WANT the largest WR contract in the NFL. If money is his motivating factor, then once he signs he's go to sleep. Moss was great value, Marshall is DEFINTELY not as even Phins fans can't argue with that. And for those who think Henne is a great, young and upcoming QB, well 2 outta 3 ain't bad ( Young is correct). This move moves Henne up to 6 out of 10 until Marshall is suspended. But, hey, good luck with your chemistry and massive contract while giving up resources that coiuld have picked up 3-4 quality players instead of a wifebeating thug. Thank God we didn't get him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: Dolphins made a big mistake. : Randy Moss was a huge gamble and he wasn't as good as Brandon Marshall is now especially when you factor in his age of 26. Everybody on this board was begging NE's top brass to go after Marshall. Now that he's a Dolphin it's a bad move? Go figure.
    Posted by perfect72

Randy Moss broke the season receiving TD record the year he came here. I think your claim that he wasn't as good as Marshall, even at an older age, is dead wrong. Randy Moss is the kind of talent that shows up once every few decades, and even at an old age he is great. The only off the field issue he really had was the boat incident, in which most of the Vikings took part in. However, Marshall has had many incidents and he's only 26. Don't get me wrong, he is a good receiver, but not comparable to a living legend. When people talk about great receivers they usually discuss Jerry Rice and Randy Moss.

Moss wasn't a huge gamble at all. We risked a fourth rounder for incredible talent. If it didn't work out, his contract was minimal so it wouldn't harm the Pats to cut him.

However, the Dolphins gave away two second round picks for him. The second round in this draft is extremely deep as well. They gave up quite a bit for him, and probably could have drafted a much younger receiver with that second round pick.

I'm not saying it's a bad move for the phins. He's proven talent, but he does have character issues. What if the Broncos go and pick the next Jerry Rice with that second round pick? We'll have to see if it was a good deal or not, but as of now I think they spent too much. A good amount of this board were divided on bringing Marshall here, so don't say we all favored it. In the short run this definitely helps the phins. In the long run? We'll see...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

What about Moss was a "huge" gamble or are you being a Homer AGAIN? Giving up a 4th rnd pick? Was that the HUGE gamble part? Or the few million they paid him. Was that the HUGE gamble part? Moss was never a problem, A showboat? yep! Attention grabbing? Yep. A Problem? Nope.
    Moss= good value ( not great value,but good to very good value )
    Marshall? = I don't know, is a 2nd rounder this year in a deep draft and a 2nd rndr next year and 12-15 million per year for 5-6 years for a receiver who will be suspended good value?
    Don't think so!
    GREAT move for NE, cause he's going to Miami!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

wrong! people on this board who are astutue patriots fans were not begging to bring this guy in and knew that the pats would never do so. marshall will most likely be fine off the field for a little while, and there is no doubt he is one of the best WR's on the field. but these guys ALWAYS get in trouble again, and there is little doubt marshall will too, especially now that he got paid. but parcells doesnt care because he will be gone in a year or two when this mess explodes in the dolphins face. but good move for the short term...i cant argue that.

Everybody on this board was begging NE's top brass to go after Marshall. Now that he's a Dolphin it's a bad move? Go figure.
    Posted by perfect72

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Moss is what, 49 TDs away from Jerry Rice and he spent two years in hell (Raiders). Many scouts agree that Moss is a once in a generation talent. Marshall has yet to realise his full potential and he has Chad (Henne or Pennington) as his QB. Yes the AFC East just got tougher, but both the Jets and Phins were playing catch up with the Patriots anyway. Sparono is a better coach than Sexy Rexy, but Belichick is better than both of them.

If winning the AFC East comes down to QB play, I'd say the Pats have the edge there. The Jets and Phins have good defenses, however, the Jets lost their best RB (Jones) and the Phins are still have a very average QB (yeah I know he torched the Pats last year.

The Chiefs, who no one talks about, now have Charles and Jones (both 1,000 yrd rushers)to go with Cassel and will draft an LT to protect Cassel or an NT to help there young DEs.

Every team tries to make improvement to their team and the teams in AFC East are no exception. If last years draft is any indication, BB and Co. are trying their darndest to build through the draft. By contrast the Jets and Phins are acquire big money players that might not stay more than two years. Phins and Jets look better on paper, but games are not played on paper they're played on the field.Naturally every New York-based sports pundit will have the Jets winning the whole thing, but realistically they need Sanchise to have a 30TD 12INT year to have a shot at any playoff run. If the Jets win it will be because their D is on par with the 85 Bears or 2000(?) Ravens, not because of great QB play. Shoone Greene has yet to prove he can carry the load that Jones previously carried and LT could be done. Believe me their are plenty of question marks for the Jets, despite the fact that they have become the trendy pick to win the east.

The Phins don't have the personel that the Jets have, however, they have a solid running game, good as coach, improving defense, and cute trick play that is no longer as tricky as it once was. Niether Henne or Pennington or whoever they have impresses me.

The fight for the AFC East just got tougher, but the Pats can still win this fight. The Pats young players (Meriweather, |Mayo, Vollmer, Butler) will continue to improve. Every year some team makes a big splash in free agency and every year they fail to bring home the Lombardi. It looks attractive to the media to grab good FAs, but it does not always translate into to wins.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Dolphins made a big mistake. : Randy Moss was a huge gamble and he wasn't as good as Brandon Marshall is now especially when you factor in his age of 26. Everybody on this board was begging NE's top brass to go after Marshall. Now that he's a Dolphin it's a bad move? Go figure.
    Posted by perfect72

Moss wasn't a huge gamble... we traded a 4th round pick in a relatively weak draft for him.....and we restructured his contract where he was getting less money...then after he proved his worth and broke records on the way.....that is when we signed him for big bucks.  Another difference is that we got Moss when he was grown up and Marshall is still a punk......and Marshall was more of a punk than Moss ever was. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to Re: Dolphins made a big mistake. : 1. Randy Moss doesnt beat his wife. his issues had to do with onfield motivation 2. Big difference b/w miami and Boston lol 3. we gave a 4th round pick and paid a very small contract. there was virtually no risk to Randy Moss. at worst, they cut him and thats it. in this case, they are committed to Marshall and spent a lot of resources on this move. Huge gamble.
    ...so I guess a pot bust, assault and battery conviction and an issue about using his car as a battering ram against a traffic agent makes him a saint?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

In Response to Re: Dolphins made a big mistake. : ...so I guess a pot bust, assault and battery conviction and an issue about using his car as a battering ram against a traffic agent makes him a saint?
    Posted by RipFace

never said that.

These 2 acquisitions are completely different on so many levels that it is foolish for a Miami fan to even compare the 2.  Moss left his bad attitude and off field issues in Minny. That was how many years ago? 

Marshall is still in the trouble maker stage of his career.  $50,000,000 for a risk? no thanks.   Miami should have gone for Boldin if they wanted to make a splash at WR.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarylandFan. Show MarylandFan's posts

Brandon Marshall signed a four-year 47.5 million contract with 24 million guaranteed plus he signed the one-year 2.5 million tender from the Broncos so he's new contract will be a 5-year 50 million dollars.. thats a lot of money for a trouble guy. So you still want him in your team? I dont think so.
    Posted by blazed21

Spot on! Good to see a logical post devoid of emotion that addresses the large financial burden Marshall has placed on the Phins not to mention the lost high draft picks and character issues that will surface. The Tuna has lost it and will be long gone when the Phins crater. I've mentioned it on more than one ocassion that other thugs like Cromartie and Holmes are FA's at the end of the 2010 season. Revis is also and all 3 could be gone as each will want to be fed well w/long term $75-$100 mil contracts.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

its a bit of a gamble but if he does manage to stay out of trouble off the field, its going to add up to alot of wins on it

price was steep but maybe they arent looking to develop a rookie receiver as much as they were wanting an established guy to keep up in the division we are in

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Dolphins made a big mistake. : never said that. These 2 acquisitions are completely different on so many levels that it is foolish for a Miami fan to even compare the 2.  Moss left his bad attitude and off field issues in Minny. That was how many years ago?  Marshall is still in the trouble maker stage of his career.  $50,000,000 for a risk? no thanks.   Miami should have gone for Boldin if they wanted to make a splash at WR.

boldin was the 3rd receiver last year on arizona and is aging fast...could we have got him for next to nothing? yeah probably...would he have been a major improvement over what we have for the next 3-4 years? good god no

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

Yes he is a gamble but he's exactly what the Dolphins needed. As it stands right now the Jets(yes I hate the Jets) and Miami have more talent as a team than New England does. Yes you still have Tom Brady but also have more holes. Your O-line is old as are your running backs(besides Maroney). You literally have one receiver who doesn't want to be there and your LBs aren't anything special. If Brady doesn't throw for 300+ yards a game you lose. It's pretty much that simple. NE's defense isn't half of what it was during the Superbowl run and you're lacking leadership as well. You also also have to keep in mind Miami signed another key offseason aquisition in defensive coordinator Mike Nolan. Ne's best reciever Welker won't be playing next year..those shoes are hard to fill. I know Edelman is a nice player but he's no Wes Welker.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Yes he is a gamble but he's exactly what the Dolphins needed. As it stands right now the Jets(yes I hate the Jets) and Miami have more talent as a team than New England does. Yes you still have Tom Brady but also have more holes. Your O-line is old as are your running backs(besides Maroney). You literally have one receiver who doesn't want to be there and your LBs aren't anything special. If Brady doesn't throw for 300+ yards a game you lose. It's pretty much that simple. NE's defense isn't half of what it was during the Superbowl run and you're lacking leadership as well. You also also have to keep in mind Miami signed another key offseason aquisition in defensive coordinator Mike Nolan. Ne's best reciever Welker won't be playing next year..those shoes are hard to fill. I know Edelman is a nice player but he's no Wes Welker.
    Posted by perfect72

in the division everyone has gotten better while the pats have stayed the same(not that that its entirely bad thing)...the jets sure took on some problem children and marshall could definitely be difficult to deal with if he keeps his shenanigans up

my guess is parcells sat him down and simply said, i want to make you the richest WR in the league...if you stay out trouble and just play hard, i will make sure you get cent of that and more and with your talent, we are very close to something special and those wins will make you even more money...play hard, mouth shut, get paid

point is...if the pats dont get better, they wont even see the phins and jets in the rear view because they will be out in front

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Posted by perfect72

How do you know Welker is going to be out all year? From what i've heard he's ahead on his rehab. Also, how do you know Edelman is no Welker? People doubted Welker his entire career and then look what happened. From what i've seen of him, he's very close to Welker. He was the best player in that loss to the Ravens in the post season. How was your post season?

The Pats have a lot of young up and coming players. We also have a lot of draft picks coming up as well. Some will be drafted and contribute right off the bat, so you don't know what we have yet. None of us do.

These other teams may be more talented in some eyes, but talent doesn't mean anything if you can't use it correctly. The Pats are rebuilding and still won the division last year. I'd be very afraid of the future if I were you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Won't get into the whole Marshall thing but here might be something the patriots could had been thinking and why a move for him was not made other than just not wanting to add another problem child to the mix.

Next year pending there's a CBA there are going to be over 200 players (quality players) that will be FAs.  With teams only having the one tag they will not be able to keep all and there are some good WRs in that group who do not come with the baggage.  The team still has Moss so getting a #1 this year is not a pressing need, getting a #2 and #3 which I think there's some good options in the draft even in later rounds.

Anyways, next year for the money Marshall received here are some names who will be available and who probably are better locker room guys say better because although I haven't read anything negative I'm not in their locker rooms to know.

Here are some of the names available next year via FA:
    Malcom Flyod 6'5 225
    Vincent Jackson 6'5" 232
    Sidney Rice 6'4" 202
    Steve Smith (NYG) 5'11" 195

IMO the team too the right approach, draft a guy who has #1 potential let him learn this year and not have the pressure because Moss is still looked at as the #1 and next year they go after a FA and also have a player in his second year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Marshall is a beast, but I agree with those who think it's a risk.  That guy was trouble while playing for a contract, not exactly the kind of guy that you feel great giving big bucks to.  But maybe some of it was the fact that he was playing for a young-ish coach with no experience.  Can't imagine the Dolphins put up with that mess.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

In Response to Re: Dolphins made a big mistake. : How do you know Welker is going to be out all year? From what i've heard he's ahead on his rehab. Also, how do you know Edelman is no Welker? People doubted Welker his entire career and then look what happened. From what i've seen of him, he's very close to Welker. He was the best player in that loss to the Ravens in the post season. How was your post season? The Pats have a lot of young up and coming players. We also have a lot of draft picks coming up as well. Some will be drafted and contribute right off the bat, so you don't know what we have yet. None of us do. These other teams may be more talented in some eyes, but talent doesn't mean anything if you can't use it correctly. The Pats are rebuilding and still won the division last year. I'd be very afraid of the future if I were you.
    Posted by magicalhobo

Afraid of the furure? You sure about that? I see Miami's future brighter than New Englands. Tom Brady is an aging superstar who is an injury away from the Pats winning 6 games. Without him last year they do absolutely nothing. Miami has a very young team who are gaining experience for a strong group of young players. You add a PROVEN star receiver into the mix and it makes them that much better. I'm not saying Edelman isn't going to be the next Welker..at this point in his career however he is not. My point being Marshall is a proven Stud in the NFL. I'm hoping he matures and doesn't continue his off  field problems he's had in the past. You're hopeing Edelman can reach the next level.
    You have to admit New England needs to make signifigant moves just to remain the status quo. Ny and miami are filling needs to make them a better team. time will tell but I as a Dolphin are happy with what they have done so far. They can now go into the draft with less needs and hone in on a dT,lb, or safety.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: Dolphins made a big mistake. : Afraid of the furure? You sure about that? I see Miami's future brighter than New Englands. Tom Brady is an aging superstar who is an injury away from the Pats winning 6 games. Without him last year they do absolutely nothing. Miami has a very young team who are gaining experience for a strong group of young players. You add a PROVEN star receiver into the mix and it makes them that much better. I'm not saying Edelman isn't going to be the next Welker..at this point in his career however he is not. My point being Marshall is a proven Stud in the NFL. I'm hoping he matures and doesn't continue his off  field problems he's had in the past. You're hopeing Edelman can reach the next level. You have to admit New England needs to make signifigant moves just to remain the status quo. Ny and miami are filling needs to make them a better team. time will tell but I as a Dolphin are happy with what they have done so far. They can now go into the draft with less needs and hone in on a dT,lb, or safety.
    Posted by perfect72

What I have to say is that you're judging a rebuilding Patriots team that made the playoffs as if the draft didn't exist. They have a ridiculous amount of picks the next two years to fill in these holes. Brady has at least 4 -5 more good years left in him, and in that amount of time we can work on his replacement like Aaron Rodgers was for the Packers.

You compare Edelman and Marshall all you want, but you should really compare Moss and Marshall. Moss put together a very good season while playing with a separated shoulder. They are both star receivers. Ginn jr. is on the block, and that leaves Bess and Camarillo. They are decent receivers, but I'd rather have the upside in Tate and Edelman along with a plethora of draft picks for an up and coming star reciever like Golden tate.

The Marshall trade is good for the team in the short term, but I'm not so sure about the long term. I would much rather have the 4 picks in the top two rounds in this very deep draft, and two first rounders next year. I don't think your team is as deep as you believe it is either. Ricky Williams is old, Ronnie Brown is constantly injured, and who else do you have? The 27 year old Patrick Cobbs? You can go ahead and overpay for Dansby and Marshall. We'll see how that works out. I'm not too impressed by their OLBs and D-line either. You have young TEs, but none of them look too promising to me. Since I'm a Pats fan and don't spend all my time on Dolphins fan forums, maybe you can tell me who their up and coming players are. Because to me it looks like both teams have holes, but the Pats have the picks to fill theirs.

You also can't forget that the Dolphins were 7-9 last year and the Pats were 10-6. You added a good WR, but don't compare the teams until the season starts. Many believe that Patriots haven't done anything this offseason, but they seems to forget that the Pats have all these picks and are in prime position to make the team much better than they are now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from capps. Show capps's posts

In Response to Dolphins made a big mistake.:
    While everyone is in awe of the Dolphins acquiring an elite WR, check the facts people....2. You are bringing a bad boy to SOUTH BEACH MIAMI.  (what could possibly go wrong?)

Not only will it be SOUTH BEACH MIAMI, but least we forget, it's the Miami Dolphins...which is co-owned by Marc Anthony (the latin signer)...who's the husband of, you guessed it, J-LO.  Let the fireworks fly baby!!!Tongue out

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

im sorry magical hobo, you were making a decent enough point until you said ricky williams is old...did you see him carry the ball last year? dude is still a beast and that, you can abide by

also...for all the picks bb has...and looking into his drafting past...what exactly tells you that he is going to magicallly fill all these holes with rookies who are going to step up right away and do so? proven player> draft pick