Dolphins Trade Vontae Davis to Colts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Dolphins Trade Vontae Davis to Colts

The Indianapolis Colts have traded their 2nd round pick in 2013 to the 'Fins for Vontae Davis. Davis was Miami's first round draft chice, in 2009, the 25th overall player selected that season. He was supposedly clashing with the 'Fins new coaching staff: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/26/dolphins-trade-vontae-davis-to-colts-for-second-round-pick/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Dolphins Trade Vontae Davis to Colts

Here's more as to why the 'Fins chose to dump Davis: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2012/08/davis-to-colts-for-draft-pick-perhaps-a-player.html.

Though it was originally reprted that the 'Fin will receive the Colts' 2013 second rounder only, a South Florida newspaper article has indicated that an additional Indy draft choice may have been included to complete the trade:  http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-miami-dolphins-0827-20120827,0,7842348.story

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

It now appears that the trade included Indy sending a conditional 6th round pick to Miami, besides their 2nd rounder: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2012/08/vontae-davis-traded-for-multiple-draft-picks.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

What doesn't make sense is how Mr Irsay said his checkbook is ready. They don't need to pay Vontae. Could they be talkin about someone else?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

What do you think Tex? I think the Colts got fleeced. Davis seemed like a lazy a$S on Hard Knocks, out of shape and not trying. Sounds like the Fins are now in full rebuild mode. Marshall, Chad, and now Vontae out!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

nice moves by the phins..

trading a 1st rounder for a 2nd round
    trading a 2x2nd rounder for a 2x3rd round

way to build the team !!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

block buster trade?!!  I honestly thought it might be Welker , glad that it wasn't

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: Dolphins Trade Vontae Davis to Colts:
    [QUOTE]block buster trade?!!  I honestly thought it might be Welker , glad that it wasn't
    Posted by NEGAME2[/QUOTE]

Hi Gamer! Hope you've had a great Summer! 

The Colts would be insane to trade a high future draft choice away for a great, but aging slot receiver...who is set to earn over $9mil. this year, and will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.

Wes is going nowhere. The Pats' are going for it this season. If Wes remains healthy, I expect him to have another big year. That said, I also expect this year to be his last as a Patriot...unless he lowers his salary demands.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]if i were the 9ers i would offer a 1st for Wake.
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]

Ricky...if the 49ers made that offer, would you want the Patriots to accept it?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]What do you think Tex? I think the Colts got fleeced. Davis seemed like a lazy a$S on Hard Knocks, out of shape and not trying. Sounds like the Fins are now in full rebuild mode. Marshall, Chad, and now Vontae out!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

It's a calculated risk for Indy, who are very thin at CB. Indy owner Jim Irsay is so impressed with Andrew Luck that he feels that the Colts can imediately compete in the AFC South. Don't forget that Davis is only 24 years old, and has two years left on his very reasonable rookie deal. He was Miami's best CB last year. If Indy's new coach, Chuck Pagano, can light a fire under him, the Colts could have quite a player.

That said, I liked the deal for Miami...who are in full rebuilding mode. Though talented, Davis is a head case, who didn't want to be in Miami. So...the 'Fins did well to recoup the value they expended on him (the 25th overall pick in the 2009 draft). They'll likely get back what will be the 40th-47th overall pick next year, plus a mid-range 6th rounder. 

I don't expect the Colts to be anywhere near as bad this year, as they were last year...now that Luck is with them.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dolphins Trade Vontae Davis to Colts :      Hi Gamer! Hope you've had a great Summer!       The Colts would be insane to trade a high future draft choice away for a great, but aging slot receiver...who is set to earn over $9mil. this year, and will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.        Wes is going nowhere. The Pats' are going for it this season. If Wes remains healthy, I expect him to have another big year. That said, I also expect this year to be his last as a Patriot...unless he lowers his salary demands.
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Hi TP my summer has been great, cool for NC. My pool is 83 degrees now better than 95 for this time of the year!   I kno but what owner is nuttier than Irsay, and I thought "block buster" meant something like a Welker trade. But glad Welker stays and god  I want an other super bowl for Brady! can't wait for your report cards so I can P I S S and moan about them! LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Maybe a change of scenery will be a wakeup call for Davis? There was a time when he was considered a real good player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

This is a great trade!!!!!

I think??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]This is a great trade!!!!! I think??
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Congrats for being (a non-patriot fan or even a Pats fan) not banned like the rest!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Miami's really having a rough offseason.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dolphins Trade Vontae Davis to Colts :      Hi Gamer! Hope you've had a great Summer!       The Colts would be insane to trade a high future draft choice away for a great, but aging slot receiver...who is set to earn over $9mil. this year, and will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.        Wes is going nowhere. The Pats' are going for it this season. If Wes remains healthy, I expect him to have another big year. That said, I also expect this year to be his last as a Patriot...unless he lowers his salary demands.
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

all my expectations as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This was a good trade for Miami to recoup a lost #1 pick, Vontae Davis was a dog.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The following article makes it clear why Miami choose to jettison Vontae Davis. Good luck with this guy, Indy: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/football/miami-dolphins-trade-cornerback-vontae-davis-to-in/nRKyN/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Don't know enough about Davis to comment and don't have HBO to watch Hard Knocks.  Word on the street, however, is that this guy is a solid solid DB who may have lost his way (attitude).  That said, the dolphins have been a mess for the past few years, while the colts, although down, seem to have direction and hope for the future. 

Further, Colts coach Chuck Pagano is a DB coach by trade and he likes Davis.  Davis' stats seem strong enough and it appears that he plays as opposed to being injured all of the time. 

For Pats fans that think using a 2nd on a 3 year starter that at least has a decent reputation as a player, I provide this:

Pats drafts:
    Wilson 2nd 2012 - 3rd taken
    Dowling 2nd 2011 - 2nd taken
    McCourty 1st 2010 - 1st taken
    Chung 2nd 2009 - 1st taken
    Butler 2nd 2009 - 3rd taken
    Wheatley 2nd 2008 - 2nd taken
    Merriweather 2nd 2007 - 1st taken

That's 7 dbs taken in the last 6 years.  that's 7 of the pats top 12 picks over the past 6 years. 

We'll see if Davis was a bad idea, but finding quality DB's while paying a premium price is not so easy as evidenced by the above list.  

By comparison from pro-football-reference: 

g/gs     int    pd     tack   asst  av
    Chung       38/22     5      14     123    64    10
    Davis        44/36     9      31     127    16    17

I understand that they play different positions which would cause Davis to have more passes defensed and more ints while chung has more tackles, but alot of you guys play up chung who hasn't been as durable and frankly not as good. 

Do you think Chung is a dog?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

^ Obviously you don't understand they play different positions or you wouldn't try to make a useless comparison.

"I'm acting right now" What you mean dawg? "Man I'm acting like I'm not tired.....I AM TIRED" That was Vontae sucking wind at training camp before his coaches chewed him a new 1!

As you are also in full rebuild mode I would expect you guys to start missing that 2nd round pick real soon. You have been fleeced son.

Tell us you were not disappointed after Jimmy ran his mouth about a potential blockbuster...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Its not useless.  I accept they play different positions, but I'd also expect Chung to play more, have significantly more tackles.  He doesn't.  apparently you don't appreciate the solid information.  

If you'd prefer, I could use Butler, a corner, who was also drafted in 09 with a 2nd rd pick.  How'd that work out?   Or how about Wheatley, a 2nd rd corner taken the year before.  How'd that work out?  The public in general trashed McCourty in his sophomore season after a breakout rookie year and from the sound of things, he's not much better now.  

The point is that the Pats have spent heavily with picks on DB's and the track record is not that great.  The point being is that if you find a solid corner he's worth a pick.  Davis, aside from his current preseason antics, has demonstrated through play on the field that he is solid.  

Yes the colts are taking a risk, but not nearlythe risk the pats have taken with some of their players.  Chad Johnson, Albert Haynesworth anyone? 

Colts might take one on the chin here.  They also might have a perennial starter with a solid reputation on the field at a position difficult to find such players.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Its not useless.  I accept they play different positions, but I'd also expect Chung to play more, have significantly more tackles.  He doesn't.  apparently you don't appreciate the solid information.   If you'd prefer, I could use Butler, a corner, who was also drafted in 09 with a 2nd rd pick.  How'd that work out?   Or how about Wheatley, a 2nd rd corner taken the year before.  How'd that work out?  The public in general trashed McCourty in his sophomore season after a breakout rookie year and from the sound of things, he's not much better now.   The point is that the Pats have spent heavily with picks on DB's and the track record is not that great.  The point being is that if you find a solid corner he's worth a pick.  Davis, aside from his current preseason antics, has demonstrated through play on the field that he is solid.   Yes the colts are taking a risk, but not nearlythe risk the pats have taken with some of their players.  Chad Johnson, Albert Haynesworth anyone?  Colts might take one on the chin here.  They also might have a perennial starter with a solid reputation on the field at a position difficult to find such players.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

A much better comparison would have been Arrington not Chung. That's closer to comparing apples and apples because of position though Arrington wasn't a full time starter all of last year and Davis was expected to be a #1 CB. Or if you want to compare draft picks McCourty would also be a reasonable comparison, even Butler as you alluded to would make for a better comparison though clearly you should try to stick with comparing players who actually have performed in the league instead of draft failures because they are hit or miss compared to Davis who at this point in his career is more of a known.

Honestly if you go by just the stats then Davis is a solid starter so a 2nd round pick (provided it's not a top 10 2nd round pick) seems like a reasonable price to pay since you know what you are getting. However, you also know what you are getting in terms of work ethic and off-field concerns. Given those other issues the Colts overspent a little for him but they needed to because of how bad that D is.

All in all not a bad deal for the Colts, provided Davis can keep his nose clean but if he gets into trouble then this is going to look like a very bad investment on the Colts part

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Eng - My main point is that the pats have spent heavily on DB's in the draft with limited success.  To get a guy who should be (no guarantees) a solid starter for quite some time (with the right attitude), is an understandable risk. 

At least with Davis, you know what you have.  You've seen his good and bad at the professional level.  Draft picks are crapshoots, especially at DB. 

I am hoping that Davis, like his brother, can grow out of his immature ways.  The one thing I like is that Indy is much less tempting to the young partier than Miami, although trouble can be found anywhere you like.