Dominique Easley? Your thoughts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Dominique Easley? Your thoughts?

Classic Patriots choice in a number of ways:

Easley had no combine or pro day numbers on him at all.  This discouraged most of the NFL from looking at him.

Easley has explosion for his weight class.  His 3-cone numbers (if Easley had any) shouldn't be compared with Wes Welker's combine numbers, but for a 288 pounder he's quickly outside or inside on an offensive lineman.  Stunting around some other defensive lineman to find an open corridor is part of his game.

The comparison to Gronk is fair.  Gronk had a back issue.  The Patriots took a risk. 

No guarantee that Easley will start in September.  BB is known for drafting guys that wind up on the PUP list, and so BB squeaks a 54th guy past the September 53 man limit.  By late October one of the starting 53 players has landed on injured reserve. 

Easley's job is to lay back his ears on passing downs and go, often up the middle where passer disruption counts the most.  He doesn't need a year to get up to speed, unlike many positions.  There's a chance that, with his explosion, he can occasionally drop into zone coverage.

BB really needs a pass rusher in Peyton Manning's face.  Manning's numbers go down when he has to scramble. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

I don't think he was the #1 choice of BB's, I think he was looking at Deoone Buchanon! Unfortunately he was taken just ahead of the Patriots pick. Easley is a solid choice if healthy he can be a menace on the D-line. Me personally I was hoping for the trade down scenario so I was disappointed but not upset. We will see how it goes from here on out. TE or Oline with tonight's first pick. Just a guess but with BB you never know WTH he's thinking.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

I hated the pick last night - and I still do to an extent - but I've calmed down a bit. I can appreciate adding a versatile defensive lineman to the front seven, but I just thought (still think) that Easley has too many question marks to justify a 1st round pick. This just stinks of Ras-I Part 2. The rumors are that Seattle was going to take him and maybe so...but I expected him to slide into the late second/early third. I have no access to medical reports so if the doctors gave him a clean bill of health and the team is comfortable with him, then so be it. He seems a bit immature with his comments about cartoons/animal crackers or whatever, but who am I to judge? My moniker is based after a cartoon I find fun to watch. I just hope he loves football, keeps his head down and learns, and can stay healthy and contribute to the team. Welcome to New England Easley. We're all...er...some people are happy you're here. 

Still wish we had Bitonio, Nix, or Tuitt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Interesting pick considering the two guys that are supposed to start at that position are both coming off injuries. Would have preferred a healthier player, but none of them have the talent that Easly has. He creates havoc behind the line of scrimmage. He can take pressure off the other guys on the line, and he can be moved around on the line (which clearly intrigues BB more than anything IMO). 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Classic Patriots choice in a number of ways:

Easley had no combine or pro day numbers on him at all.  This discouraged most of the NFL from looking at him.

Easley has explosion for his weight class.  His 3-cone numbers (if Easley had any) shouldn't be compared with Wes Welker's combine numbers, but for a 288 pounder he's quickly outside or inside on an offensive lineman.  Stunting around some other defensive lineman to find an open corridor is part of his game.

The comparison to Gronk is fair.  Gronk had a back issue.  The Patriots took a risk. 

No guarantee that Easley will start in September.  BB is known for drafting guys that wind up on the PUP list, and so BB squeaks a 54th guy past the September 53 man limit.  By late October one of the starting 53 players has landed on injured reserve. 

Easley's job is to lay back his ears on passing downs and go, often up the middle where passer disruption counts the most.  He doesn't need a year to get up to speed, unlike many positions.  There's a chance that, with his explosion, he can occasionally drop into zone coverage.

BB really needs a pass rusher in Peyton Manning's face.  Manning's numbers go down when he has to scramble. 

[/QUOTE]

Until I see Gronk not disappear in the playoffs, I consider the pick good not great.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

In response to sml1210's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

[QUOTE]

It looks like BB and staff were clearly comfortable with Easley's medicals. Let's be honest, if he has no injury history, he's never close to NE's range (similar to Donald). Does he present some level of risk? Certainly, but if he can stay healthy, it's a homerun pick... only time will tell. Love his talent and what he'll bring to the front 4 (disruption and intensity), so I'll hope for the best as far as his health/durability goes.

Fans always compare a player with an injury history to Ras-I, because he never amounted to much and was cut after only a couple seasons, but always fail to mention that Gronk missed the entire college season the year he was drafted, yet is regarded as one of the top players in the league at his position.  If healthy, Easley could be one of the most disruptive DL in the NFL, in the mold of Geno Atkins.

Again, only time will tell.

And how's Gronk's availability been the last 24 months?

[/QUOTE]

Gronk's major injury in college was his back, not his, ankle, forearm or knee. How many games has he missed in his Patriot's career due to his back?

[/QUOTE]

You've completely missed the point.

Guys who get tend to get injured a lot tend to continue to get injured a lot. Ras-I's injuries weren't the same as in college either and he played what, 2 games?

Easley's had 2 major knee injuries, IN ADDITION TO ANKLE ISSUES while at UF.

How many games has Gronk played in last 2 years? How many playoff games has he been available for in the last 2 years? Who cares what the injury is if he (or Easley) can't stay on the field?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

I cautiously like the pick. If he can get healthy and stay healthy he looks like a player that can put pressure on the QB and blow up a RB in the backfield.

Its a risky pick that will blow up in their face or make them look like geniouses.

I say trust BB. We are all arm chair GM's. BB and his staff are professionals and have quite the record to back it up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

I love the Pats and I love me some BB...BUT, if this pick goes south, even I will have to use thew steely knife on the guy!

When, and if, this guy is healthy he's the best DT in the draft with unmatched speed, effort, strength (for his size) and athleticism...but at his size, he needs all pistons to be firing at max levels.....hope for our sake he is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to Footballexpert45's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with the Rasi comparison.  I expect the same production.  Awful pick, now I wish the Pats had traded down.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds great bustchise.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is no doubt  a risky pick. I don't like it but if this kid has good work ethic and is "football first" then this could be  steal. IMHO I would agree with those that compare this to the Ras - I pick. Please let me and the others be wrong.

[/QUOTE]

If he had amything it is work ethic.  Ray lewis all but creamed his pantaloons.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is no doubt  a risky pick. I don't like it but if this kid has good work ethic and is "football first" then this could be  steal. IMHO I would agree with those that compare this to the Ras - I pick. Please let me and the others be wrong.

[/QUOTE]

If he had amything it is work ethic.  Ray lewis all but creamed his pantaloons.

[/QUOTE]

lol that he did.  It was good to get Ray's endorsement.  Say what you want about the guy, but he knows his football.  I'm liking the pick more and more