Dominique Easley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

Re: Dominique Easley

Ross Tucker mocked easley to the pats in his podcast earlier today saying belichick surprises everyone with this pick and takes the best interior disruptor- he then compared him to geno atkins

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

What this tells me...

The Patriots will not be a 3/4 team anymore, they signed Will Smith to play end in Ninck's place and then drafted his understudy in Easley.  We will now see a true 4/3 with a real defensive end playing instead of a linebacker, Ninkovich will slide back and rotate at outside linebacker with Collins and Mayo.

Chris Jones or Vellano won't be on the team next season.

Did I like this pick and player, as a first rounder coming off injury to a 3/4 team, if Wilfork and Kelly remain healthy it won't matter, Smith and Easley will rack up sacks and the defense will thrive.  If they don't stay healthy we'll wonder why BB didn't draft a nose tackle.

Funny but I was thinking the same thing soon after the pick.  It slides Nink back to LB, where he could be a Mike Vrabel style player on the outside.  Although we have 3 LB's in Mayo, Hightower, and Collins that are all capable of Probowl style play, past them there was HUGE dropoff.  That's not the case anymore.  I can't completely knock the pick, because had he been injury free in college, he would have NEVER made it to the 29th pick.  However, a part of me cringes because BB does not have a great record when it comes to players with strong injury history.  It's not that he doesn't have a full reliable medical of these kids, just really bad dumb luck. 

And while his size is questionable when it comes to BB's history, the current and future NFL is very much pass oriented.  Not a lot of teams have a ground and pound game anymore, which is why they spend so much time in subpackages.  The fact that he was drafted over Nix speaks volumes as to where BB felt this D needed the most help.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:

~Wozzy-

My DREAM is that Belichick trades his 3rd, his 4th, both 6th's and his 7th...In order to move in to the #33 Selection spot.  He drafts Tuitt.  Can You even IMAGINE seeing Tuitt, Wilfork, Easley, and Jones...with Collins, Mayo, Hightower, Revis, DMC, Dennard, and Browner-  As your Starting Defense?!?  It'd be absurd.  BB would keep his own 2nd Rder and his 4th Rd Comp selection.  With that lone 2nd Rder He either selects Jarvis Landry or Donte McCrief-whomever is still on the Big Board.  Gotta think 1 of them will be.  Then BB could use his lone remaining selection, His 4th Rd Comp Selection-  And he'd draft his choice of whomever is his highest rated/regarded OC or OG still on the Big Board.

I'd be thrilled with just those 4 super quality selections-  Easley + Tuitt + (Landry) Pure hands WR/and,or/Move TE-WR (McCrief) + Best remaining OC/OG left w/ 4th Rd Comp & on BB's Big Board...  To me, that'd shore up each critical weak point with 4 stellar picks.  You could get buy @ LB with Collins, Mayo, Hightower, Nink, and Bequette;  Every other position would be solid...so WhyTH waste them on lesser guys?  Just shore up 2 stud DL, 1 sure hands quality WR, 1 Interior OL, and wait for training camp cuts for 1-2 Vet big-back RBs & perhaps a couple more cut vet OL.   

The problem Laz is that we can't/won't likely draft another DT.  

Wilfork, Kelly, Smith, Armstead, Siliga, Jones and Vellano.  There are only so many DT's you can carry on your roster.  I agree with Prolate's sentiment above that in a passing league there is a premium on pass rushers and heavy load DT's in the middle might be a dying breed.  DT's have to be able to defend the no huddle now. There may only be room for one or two of those tree stump guys on your roster.  I wish we drafted Michael Brockers two years ago, but then I don't have a vote...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

What this tells me...

The Patriots will not be a 3/4 team anymore, they signed Will Smith to play end in Ninck's place and then drafted his understudy in Easley.  We will now see a true 4/3 with a real defensive end playing instead of a linebacker, Ninkovich will slide back and rotate at outside linebacker with Collins and Mayo.

Chris Jones or Vellano won't be on the team next season.

Did I like this pick and player, as a first rounder coming off injury to a 3/4 team, if Wilfork and Kelly remain healthy it won't matter, Smith and Easley will rack up sacks and the defense will thrive.  If they don't stay healthy we'll wonder why BB didn't draft a nose tackle.

Funny but I was thinking the same thing soon after the pick.  It slides Nink back to LB, where he could be a Mike Vrabel style player on the outside.  Although we have 3 LB's in Mayo, Hightower, and Collins that are all capable of Probowl style play, past them there was HUGE dropoff.  That's not the case anymore.  I can't completely knock the pick, because had he been injury free in college, he would have NEVER made it to the 29th pick.  However, a part of me cringes because BB does not have a great record when it comes to players with strong injury history.  It's not that he doesn't have a full reliable medical of these kids, just really bad dumb luck. 

And while his size is questionable when it comes to BB's history, the current and future NFL is very much pass oriented.  Not a lot of teams have a ground and pound game anymore, which is why they spend so much time in subpackages.  The fact that he was drafted over Nix speaks volumes as to where BB felt this D needed the most help.

On a 4/3 team Easley and even Shariff Floyd last year would make good defensive ends, I've projected my draft board under the assumption the Patriots were a 3/4 team, maybe the traditional 3/4 and 4/3 archetypes are dead.  These teams nowadays are neither...

I don't pretend to know more than the next man, BB consistently makes me look silly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to MileHighMike's comment:

Classic BB reach on a short armed injury prone DE. 

OMAHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:

Ross Tucker mocked easley to the pats in his podcast earlier today saying belichick surprises everyone with this pick and takes the best interior disruptor- he then compared him to geno atkins

Geno is a great best case projection, on a premier team his chances are reasonable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Just read an article where he was compared to John Randle.  Be still my beating heart.  I'll be first in line to buy his jersey if he even dares to approach that mans style of play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

Just read an article where he was compared to John Randle.  Be still my beating heart.  I'll be first in line to buy his jersey if he even dares to approach that mans style of play.

He's pretty strong, hopefully he will play inside the way Jermaine Cunningham couldn't. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

People need to wake up to how good this Easleyy kid will be! If the guy you wanted didn't get picked you don't need to make it sounds like its; the end of the Pats reign, BB is an idiot, it's the worst pick ever in the 1st round, etc. With how crazy this draft has been, I can see some more crazy moves in the 2nd round for the Pats, definitely watch out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The great sign is Kyper hates the pick.  Easely has the ability to be as good as  Clowney.  Reconstructed knees tend to be stronger.  

He's versatile and has great speed and power.  Potential grandslam or bust.  ...We can say the same about 50% of the first round including Clowney. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I thought about this pick and wondered why.

Vince's health?

Armsteads health?

Have to assume this is the end for 2 of 3 Siligia, Jones or Vellano?

I have no issue, and feel it is a strength of the team if the Pats employ a 4/3 D with Nink, Vince, Kelly and Jones....and rotating in WSmith, Armstead, Siligia and Easley. 

Surely we are looking at Easley easing in with a snap count in the 20% range, with his first year a learning curve and an opportunity to get healthy. 

I read Geno Atkins up above....I really think that is the upper end of potential, with Myron Pryor being the lower end. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Good late first round selection.  Could help with the pass rush and play multiple positions.  Should make Jones a better player by taking away the double teams.  Should allow both nick and jones to take a breather.  Time to load up on the DL to allow fresh bodies to be rotated in and out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I knew heads would explode like in scanners but I didn't think it was by pick 29.  I should have taken the under. 

I hope we pick DL with the next pick too. A bunch of people lobbied for Lombardi. Well you got him. Got a new team dr maybe they know something we don't.   I'm hoping that this means armestead and Kelly are looking good and we don't have to rush easly right into it. How many of you were surprised alone that we picked at all.  

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

I knew heads would explode like in scanners but I didn't think it was by pick 29.  I should have taken the under. 

I hope we pick DL with the next pick too. A bunch of people lobbied for Lombardi. Well you got him. Got a new team dr maybe they know something we don't.   I'm hoping that this means armestead and Kelly are looking good and we don't have to rush easly right into it. How many of you were surprised alone that we picked at all.  

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

+1

I've posted elsewhere that if Lombardi truly is the draft guru that he has been touted to be on this board then he clearly made his thoughts known to BB and influenced this pick in some way. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

In response to MileHighMike's comment:

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

In response to Hannahman's comment:

This guy would have been available in the 3rd round..... Why Bill.....Why???

Umm, no he wouldn't. Many had him in the late 1st or early 2nd.

If he entered the draft last year, he would have gone top 10.  Will Brady not choke yet again?

Classic Queenie, blaming bb' s poor pick on Brady.

Any other team drafting him this high would be mocked mercilessly by the resident know-nothing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

I'll be labeled a BB basher, but I don't like this pick.   We have 2 older D Lineman returning from injuries and draft a young D lineman returning from an injury.  I think he's too small to play inside (where they desperately need help).

I'd rather they had taken Tuitt.

Couldn't agree with you more. Obviously, BB learned nothing from the Ras-I Dowling fiasco. If BB had taken this guy at #62, I'd be fine with the pick. But, to take a player with such a serious injury history at #29 defies common sense. Furthermore, if the Pats defensive scheme is such that it cannot thrive and survive with a undersized, albeit quick DT, perhaps it's time to look into a different scheme? I'm sick and tired of hearing the qualification on a player of, "if healthy". Too great a risk at #29...and if BB felt Seattle wanted him at #32, so what! Seattle is in a much better position to take a risk, or redshirt a player for a year than the Patriots. Pats have too many needs to roll dice like this.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Let's try something. If you love the pick try not to use the words "if" and "when" in terms of health and see how much you can say about him.

He is a big boom or bust player that could start on the PuP. He could be the next Randle or he could be the next Emtman.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Clearly BB and crew are ok with his ACL recovery.  It is certainly a risky pick but has the potential to have a major positive impact if this guy can come back 100%. The first thought I had when he was drafted is that they must really like something about him to overlook the surgeries.  He seems like he can play all over the DL, and I'm trying to envision him at DE opposite Jones and at DT when they play 4-3.  I cringe because the risks seem so apparent, but clearly this kid meets a lot of the other criteria BB looks for in his players. 

BB will either be ripped for this or he'll look like a genius.  I like that BB has the guts to go for it with a guy who he clearly thinks will be a good player in his system.  Let's give it some time.     

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I like the pick. BB has overall drafted pretty well in recent years, after a horrible stretch from 2006-09. I'm prepared to put some trust in him, plus I want to see the draft as a whole rather than judge just one part on its own. I know, crazy.

BB is recognizing the need to put more pressure on the QB in a passing league (versus the prevent/run stuff style defense etc). I'm good with this and willing to see how it plays out. There is some risk here, but I like the "go for it" mentality while Brady still has some left in the tank.

"If Brady does not wake up for this team in January, it does not matter."

You talked about seven subpar postseasons for Brady in a row....if so then that's a BB problem. He should have replaced Brady by now. The fact that he didn't reflects poorly on BB, so please direct your criticisms about inconsistent QB year over year to our general manager.

Most of us believe that a better defense and better offensive weapons (meaning guys who are not on crunches, in a boot, playing on the opposing team because they were lowballed and replaced by other injured/ineffective players, or rotting in a jail cell somewhere during the playoffs) will make a big difference to our QB.

It's kind of weird though, given you think a QB should be able to win it all by himself, regardless of injuries or defensive performance, and we already have a QB, it's unclear why you would have any interest in the draft...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Not that the EXPERTS know any more than the rest of us but this was printed in SI and players who could disrupt the 1st round

• Dominique Easley, DT, Florida: The only thing keeping Easley from being discussed with Aaron Donald as the draft’s top defensive tackle is the season-ending knee injury he suffered in 2013. Now that he is closing in on being 100 percent again, the Florida product might be able to convince some team he’s worth the gamble.

Perhaps that will not happen before the dynamic Donald hears his name called at Radio City Music Hall, but there is a shot Easley comes off the board before Ra’Shede Hageman, Timmy Jernigan and the rest of the DTs. Right now, Easley is being penciled in as a prospect that only teams in pretty solid shape would take a shot on early — New England, San Francisco, Seattle. A franchise needing interior D-line help might challenge that assessment, nabbing Easley and driving down some supremely talented tackles.

"Don't touch my Leatherhelmet!!"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

I had him going to us in the 2nd as did most mocks so its not as far a reach as you may think.  BB finally took the best player of a group regardless of his "undersized" skill set and that alone needs mentioning. We might even see a "Tweener" or two's name called before this draft is over.......Telvin Smith , Gator Hoskins or maybe even Michael Sam............

"Don't touch my Leatherhelmet!!"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The draft guru Mike Mayock of NFL Network had Easley as #64 on his top 100 list. From that POV, he likely could have waited.

The most baffling pick, however, was Jacksonville; they could have traded down and still gotten their man. Atlanta was looking to trade up. This is why Jax always stinks.

The usually heavily criticized Browns actually had an amazing 1st RD.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

I don't understand why you take a huge risk like that in the 1st

[object HTMLDivElement]

we are a WIN NOW TEAM !!! if this guy Pans out... He´ll be an instant upgrade, great passrusher ! we need that !

ISAAC

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

This guy would have been available in the 3rd round..... Why Bill.....Why???

[object HTMLDivElement]

dont think so...  Seattle was ready to pull the trigger !

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts