Don Banks draft re-do Vollmer #8

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Don Banks draft re-do Vollmer #8

Pats took "Seabass" with the 58th pick in the what we know now draft re-do Vollmer moves up 50 spots to #8. Hopefully this kid works out and holds down the RT position for the next 12 years. BB picked another gem.

Jacksonville Jaguars(Original pick: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia)
    RE-DO PICK: SEBASTIAN VOLLMER, OT, HOUSTON
    The Jaguars have started their two rookie offensive tackles, Monroe and second-rounderEben Britton, for most of the season, and both have had their highs and lows. But Vollmer, the 58th overall pick, has been one of the draft's bigger surprises, starting 11 games and playing well enough at left tackle to probably endMatt Light's tenure in New England in the near future. All you really need to know is thatBill Belichickclearly trusts Vollmer to protectTom Brady's blind side.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from diablo69. Show diablo69's posts

Re: Don Banks draft re-do Vollmer #8

In Response to Don Banks draft re-do Vollmer #8:
    [QUOTE]Pats took "Seabass" with the 58th pick in the what we know now draft re-do Vollmer moves up 50 spots to #8. Hopefully this kid works out and holds down the RT position for the next 12 years. BB picked another gem. Jacksonville Jaguars (Original pick: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia) RE-DO PICK: SEBASTIAN VOLLMER, OT, HOUSTON The Jaguars have started their two rookie offensive tackles, Monroe and second-rounder Eben Britton , for most of the season, and both have had their highs and lows. But Vollmer, the 58th overall pick, has been one of the draft's bigger surprises, starting 11 games and playing well enough at left tackle to probably end Matt Light 's tenure in New England in the near future. All you really need to know is that Bill Belichick clearly trusts Vollmer to protect Tom Brady 's blind side.
    Posted by harleyroadking103[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from diablo69. Show diablo69's posts

you are correct, actually this is an interesting article by Banks. Many of the original 1st round picks are left off this re-do. A. Maybin, someone who was mentioned as being looked at by the Pats is noted as (at least at this point) a bust in Buffalo. Of course some of those other DE's/OLB's that we did not pick have turned out well for their teams...Mathews and the other one from USC. Could have used one of those guys this year.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Pats took "Seabass" with the 58th pick in the what we know now draft re-do Vollmer moves up 50 spots to #8. Hopefully this kid works out and holds down the RT position for the next 12 years. BB picked another gem. Jacksonville Jaguars (Original pick: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia) RE-DO PICK: SEBASTIAN VOLLMER, OT, HOUSTON The Jaguars have started their two rookie offensive tackles, Monroe and second-rounder Eben Britton , for most of the season, and both have had their highs and lows. But Vollmer, the 58th overall pick, has been one of the draft's bigger surprises, starting 11 games and playing well enough at left tackle to probably end Matt Light 's tenure in New England in the near future. All you really need to know is that Bill Belichick clearly trusts Vollmer to protect Tom Brady 's blind side.

Don't want to bust your bubble, but OT Michael Oher, who the Pats could have selected at #23, was the #1 overall pick on the Banks' list...and OLB Clay Matthews, who the Pats could have had at #26, was the 9th overall pick on the Banks list. Matthews has 8 sacks thus far this season, and looks like the second coming of Mike Vrabel. 

Heres' the Banks' article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/12/15/redraft/index.html 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

I saw this re draft yesterday and was impressed at where they had Vollmer. I mean they pretty much said we got ourselves a top ten OT in the draft. Thats pretty sweet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

In Response to Re: Don Banks draft re-do Vollmer #8:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Don Banks draft re-do Vollmer #8 :     Don't want to bust your bubble, but OT Michael Oher, who the Pats could have selected at #23, was the #1 overall pick on the Banks' list...and OLB Clay Matthews, who the Pats could have had at #26, was the 9th overall pick on the Banks list. Matthews has 8 sacks thus far this season, and looks like the second coming of Mike Vrabel.       Heres' the Banks' article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/12/15/redraft/index.html  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Texas, this all woulda shoulda. I remember the Pats had two picks in the top 15 and took Ray Agnew and Chris Singlelton...Emmit Smith went two picks later. It's all a crap shoot, Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning..MMmm ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Who cares if the movie star is the number one pick on this re draft the point is we took Vollmer at number 58 and paid him 2nd round money and we are getting top ten pick quality play out of this kid and that is great. All the Mike Felgers of the world who rip the Pats for their drafting can *suck it cause we got a top ten pick at number 58 and THEY CALLED HIM A REACH!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

Funny how all the talking head hater's, at the time, were saying what a reach he was and that he was 4th round material.  I guess "they" were wrong again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

We had a good draft this year.  Did we have some misses?  Yes, just like every other team.  We picked up some good players though.  If we can get a couple more good drafts, we'll make up for the string of poor drafts we've had.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

[QUOTE]Who cares if the movie star is the number one pick on this re draft the point is we took Vollmer at number 58 and paid him 2nd round money and we are getting top ten pick quality play out of this kid and that is great. All the Mike Felgers of the world who rip the Pats for their drafting can *suck it cause we got a top ten pick at number 58 and THEY CALLED HIM A REACH!
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

AMEN! BROTHER Cool

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don Banks draft re-do Vollmer #8 : Texas, this all woulda shoulda. I remember the Pats had two picks in the top 15 and took Ray Agnew and Chris Singlelton...Emmit Smith went two picks later. It's all a crap shoot, Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning..MMmm ?

I know...but it still warrants mentioning. But, the Pats are still collecting from the trade of the 26th overall pick in last years' draft to Green Bay...as they traded two of the 3rd rounders acquired from GB to Tennessee and Jacksonville, for their 2nd rounders in 2010. Too bad the Titans made a comeback. But, as long as neither Jacksonville or Tennessee makes the playoffs, those should be mid-level 2nd rounders.  

The only real issue I had with the Pats' selections was at #34...I preferred Rey Maualuga over Patrick Chung. Incidently, Maualuga went 16th overall on the Banks list.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from vapatfan1. Show vapatfan1's posts

It drives me nuts on draft day when BB drafts someone in a spot no one saw coming. But more times than not it works out.  Who knew Julian Edelman would stick as a receiver but he's making a contribution and I think he'll be even better next year. 

This validates that BB can still evaluate talent and see potential in players other may not see.  No coach is perfect, but BB gets it right more than not. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Aren't you all the same people who said that the Patriots should "quit trading down" so the Patriots "could get top talent"???!!!

And yes, I mean you, K-Max.

I'm amused that this board appeared just a week after people bemoaned not trading up for Brian Cushing (because players who can contribute are apparently only available at the top of the first round according to some of you).

Get this:  Draft picks are BLACK SWAN EVENTS.  It means that good/great/HOF players are low-probability-and-very-high-reward events.  There really isn't much better of a chance that a higher round pick does any better than a lower round pick.  Johnny Knox (Bears receiver) is everything Heyward-Bey was supposed to be (fast, can catch the deep ball, can stay healthy), but was virtually unnoticed on draft day.

What this means is it's best to move down to a place where you can be sure that you'll get a chance to pick the guys you like, but where you can also increase your chances of having a successful draft by taking many players instead of just one.  You don't get Vollmer by assuming that first round talent has a better chance of success than anyone else - you get Eugene Monroe.  Or you get Vollmer AND Chung AND Butler AND Brace, so that if Brace doesn't pan out then Vollmer (and Chung and Butler) might be worth it.

Divide and diversify (and increase your chances of draft success, assuming you know what you're looking for).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don Banks draft re-do Vollmer #8 : What the hell are you talking about Nancy?  What does one have to do with the other?  I'll help you out since your obviously not intelligent.  NOTHING.  There was plenty of excellent talent we passed on, some of which is documented in above posts. By the way Einstein we traded down for Chung a dude that has shown nothing so far our next pick was Brace who can't get on the field then Bulter who's average when not looking lost then Sea Bass an excellent pick.  So we didn't trade down for Sea Bass you fool so S T F U
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

And HOW DO YOU THINK THE PATS HAD MULTIPLE SECOND ROUND PICKS TO BEGIN WITH?

BY TRADING OUT OF THE PREVIOUS DRAFT.

J*ck*ss

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

He's good and it's good to hit on someone out of the first round.  The Pats get a lot of crap for thier drafting but in comparison to other teams they do well.  The truth is when you look at guys picked after the first round teams are lucky to get a few keepers. The worst thing you can do in the draft is get someone in the 1st round and have them be a bust.  1st round busts take a huge salary cap toll and cost a guy that should have been a starter.  The pats haven't had any 1st round bust in a long time.
    Here are thier 1st rounders the last 5 years:
    2008  Mayo
    2007  Meriweather
    2006  Maroney
    2005  Mankins
    2004  Wilfork

Some may consider Maroney a bust, but not making the Pro Bowl does not make you a bust.  If there is any player whose name starts with M than they will likely be taking by the Patriots in the 1st.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don Banks draft re-do Vollmer #8 : Once again your wrong Opie, you ignorant jester.  Just like the time you tried inventing your own definition of the word Talent . I'll type slowly so maybe you can understand.  Like I said last night (before your unwarranted attempt at a sucker punch) we did not trade down for Sea Bass.   He was our slotted 2nd round pick.  The other 3 non-impact players Chung, Brace and Butler were all picks that were a result of trades. I'm just dyeing to see how you spin this.  Because there's no way our little Veruca Salt could possibly be wrong. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU7nG3KvZDA
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

The definition of talent that real people in sports (unlike keyboard jockeys like you) use  encompasses the physical ability to perform sports tasks (run fast, lifting metrics, cone drills, vertical leap, standing long jump).

Of course, you'd probably never know this because you've never done an athletic thing in your life.  Take it from someone who played football for 11 years and ran track for 4 years (#20 in Massachusetts in the 300m in winter 2004-2005) - talent in sports is PHYSICAL ABILITY.

Playing in the clutch, game awareness, and experience in winning is what real sports people call INTANGIBLES.

As for Vollmer, do you REALLY think the Patriots would have taken him with their slotted pick if it was the only pick they had?  Because the last I checked, they picked three players before him, which means if they only had one pick it would have been either Brace or Butler (HIGHER PICKS MEAN THE TEAM LIKED THEM MORE - IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU - IT MEANS IF THEY ONLY PICKED ONE, IT WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN VOLLMER!!!!).

That's why having MORE picks in rounds 2-4 is better than betting the farm on a first rounder.

You've been served.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Because the last I checked, they picked three players before him, which means if they only had one pick it would have been either Brace or Butler (HIGHER PICKS MEAN THE TEAM LIKED THEM MORE - IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU - IT MEANS IF THEY ONLY PICKED ONE, IT WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN VOLLMER!!!!). That's why having MORE picks in rounds 2-4 is better than betting the farm on a first rounder. You've been served.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Wow! It's ON! And don't be coming here saying it's not on, when you know, It's ON! ( I hope your a South Park Fan)

I like having a lot of picks but we've done pretty good with our top 10 grabs too. I think there is a happy medium somewhere here. I wish we could could grab guys like Seymour and Mayo every year without breaking the draft bank. The jury is still out on last year and if all we get out of it is Vollmer for 4 picks that's not good. That being said lets see how Chung and Butler look next year as it's pretty hard to be a stud DB in your first year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Going into the 2010 draft. I am expecting the Patriots to bundle a few of our second rounders and maybe even a first to move into the top 15. As we all know its logistically impossible to draft 10+ players every year. Talent is deep in this years draft but there are some big playmakers on defense this year.

Few things that will set the patriots up for draft day expenses:
    1. Vince Wilfork (staying or leaving)
    2. Adilius Thomas (moving via trade for late round pick freeing up cap space)
    3. Playoffs exit - (early exit or do they contend for the superbowl?)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

I remember reading many of the disappointed posts by various Pats fans, after the team selected Vollmer...as though the Pats made a huge mistake.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from falline. Show falline's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don Banks draft re-do Vollmer #8 : Texas, this all woulda shoulda. I remember the Pats had two picks in the top 15 and took Ray Agnew and Chris Singlelton...Emmit Smith went two picks later. It's all a crap shoot, Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning..MMmm ?

Bledsoe or Rick Miere?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don Banks draft re-do Vollmer #8 : Wow did you play D1 with Leon I'm so impresses because You wouldn't lie or make things up.  Were you and Leon line mates? You just can't admit you were wrong.  You throw a sucker punch by implying Sea Bass was a result of us trading down, Which was WRONG and had nothing to do with this thread or what I originally posted.  I then kick your @ss and use fact in doing so. Now you come up with some crazy speculation BU!!$h!t written above ( in red )to try to satisfy your narcissistic and delusional self.  The rest of your 8th grade class must really dislike you. Anyway I know when to quit so I'm done with you Pee Wee.
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

Played as a walk-on before Iona disbanded their football program.  Division I-AA, and I'll scan the cover of my old playbook and a couple pages just to drive the point home.

I was also on the Bishop Stang High School football team that lost in the Super Bowl to Duxbury in December of 2005.  This is verifiable fact:
    (we beat Wareham)

I was also #20 in Massachusetts in the 300m dash, with a time of 38.16, registered at the Mass State Coaches' Invitational in January of 2005.  I couldn't find the link, so I posted this one from the Mass D4 championships.  Note that Nick Cummings character from Old Rochester with a 38.24q.  It means I made the finals a mere week after blowing out my lower back

I also jumped a 19'7", triple jumped a 38' even, ran a 5.7 50 yard dash, a 11.5 100m dash, a 23.7 200m dash.  These are verifiable if I felt like wasting more of my time on you than I already have.  I think I've validated my claims enough already, though.

Like I said, you've never done an athletic thing in your life and clearly don't know what the difference is between TALENT and INTANGIBLES, so you throw a fit.

Then you can't understand the idea of dividing and diversifying and take my criticism of your previous comments implying that top-of-the-first-round is the only way the Patriots can acquire contributors, so you cry like a little b*tch.

You're only through with me because you have neither the intelligence nor the self esteem to continue a conversation.  Believe it or not, two people can disagree without throwing hissy-fits.  Just not you, apparently.  Grow up and then we'll speak.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I do like to see articles like that because they are fun but honestly what do they really mean. Nothing.

1) Injuries are not taken into account. Edelman was on pace for a 40+ reception year before breaking his arm. I only use him cause i watch/follow the pats but most likely some other draft pick on another team was poised for a good season and got hurt. So who knows if some guys would have ended up on the list otherwise.

2) It's Banks opinion.

3) Just because a player does well on one team in a said given role does not mean he would have the same impact on another team(The Pats for instance). Maybe, maybe not... You just can not say with certainty.

4) Some of Banks decisions based on his explanations have to much to do with stats. He probably doesn't even know what all the drafted players responsibilities are in their roles for their teams. I am sure he doesn't know how the players are grading out in the eyes and minds of their respective teams.

5) If a team, take the Lions and Rams for example, are on the not so good side of the meter at the moment then a rookie might have more opportunity afforded to him at his position then a rookie playing on some good team with decent depth at his position. Does that guarantee the guy playing is better and should have been picked ahead of the player not playing as much or starting? Every situation is different and I am sure Banks did not take the time to look at what talent the rookie beat out on his team and if that was impressive or not.

I was sitting there like i was in welcome back carter on draft day going oooh oooh take:
    Michael Oher

Oooh Oooh take:
    Clay Mathews

Oooh Oooh take:
    Rey Maualuga (mainly because he was talked about in high regard for 2 years)

Oooh Oooh take:
    James Laurinaitis (mainly because he was talked about in high regard for 2 years)

All guys available at pick slots they had(They had a shot at each of those guys but not all obviously). Now that's just me because I thought they needed linebackers. Oher simply because he slipped so far down in the draft after being talked about so heavily even prior to finally coming out.

Would I say the Patriots made mistakes based on Banks list or that I was right? NO not at all. I am just a fan. I have no idea. I only watch a dozen college games a year maybe, a lot of bowl games and the not very useful but somewhat entertaining hand selected highlight videos out there on youtube in the end. No game film.

Maybe something came up on the psych test, medical exam, interview, film room test, personal conduct/behavior analysis, etc on these guys.

Something made the Patriots skip over those four. Maybe they simply felt they had other pressing needs and the grade on the players they did not take were so close to the grades on the players that they took that they went with need.

I trust the pros but it is fun to wonder sometimes and play armchair GM.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I pretty much don't know a great player on draft day because I have no inside info.  I know pretty much what BB is looking for, and I can always understand trading a third rounder this year for a mid-level second rounder next year.

BB traded out of #23 and then out of #26 not because there wasn't anybody good on the board, but because the tradeout deals were golden.  Everybody else was dumping second rounders.  "You can't sign them to 5 year contracts", they all said.  So BB grabbed up four of them, closer to the top of the second round than the bottom, at bargain prices, and there's a few more second rounders coming next April too. 

Vollmer is an exceptional steal because he didn't cost hardly anything.  BB also took CB Butler, who is plenty fast but still plays somewhat like a rookie, Chung, ditto, and Brace, who is a half-bust but it might be his ankle injury, and it also might be he needs a year or more to learn the position.  I had the highest hopes for Brace because big guys tend to last longer than little guys in the league, and Brace is an intriguing talent even by sumo wrestling standards.  But Brace has average arm length.  If Brace got injured in practice, that's not really BB's drafting fault.  BB also drafted Tyrone McKenzie and he got injured right off the bat.

Vollmer had what BB really wanted on draft day:  huge long arms.  He can wrap anybody up and then they haven't got the arm length to push away from Vollmer once he's got hold of them.  Vollmer also has great lateral movement for a big guy.  He seems to be a natural, and he picked up the line calls by October. 

In fairness Sea Bass was rated as a fourth rounder, an ok guy on an ok team but not a Heisman winner, great size but a foreign-born project.  He got better pretty fast. 

Sections
Shortcuts