Don Banks of Sports Illustrated on Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated on Patriots

Snippets from Don Banks' "Snap Judgements" this week:

• Anybody else get the feeling we're starting to see signs the last two weeks of the old, indifferent Randy Moss when it comes to his effort level? All I know is what my eyes tell me, but I've seen Moss pose less than a disruptive presence on two of Tom Brady's recent interceptions -- the one rookie Dolphins cornerback Vontae Davis snagged in the Miami end zone last week, and the one Carolina's Chris Gamble pilfered Sunday in the first quarter at the Patriots 48.

Moss just didn't fight for either ball, pretty much allowing the defender to make the play without him using his 6-foot-4 frame to increase the degree of difficulty of the catch. Moss was booed by the faithful at Gillette Stadium, and it didn't help his cause one bit that he fumbled away a first-half 16-yard catch.

Are those plays windows into Moss's soul and his current state of commitment level? Has he partially checked out in any way, convinced perhaps that New England's Super Bowl hopes are fading away? We can't know the answer to those questions, but it is worth noting that Moss was one of the four Patriots sent home Wednesday morning after arriving minutes late for a team meeting.

• The Patriots did what they had to do to scratch out an ugly 20-10 win over a Carolina team playing its backup quarterback, but these really don't look anything like the Patriots that have largely dominated this NFL decade.

I will say this: Tom Brady made a very good decision in the third quarter when he decided to throw the ball only to Wes Welker. Brady completed 19 of 34 passes in the game for 192 yards and a touchdown. But all but 10 of his completions went to the dependable Welker, who produced 105 yards and now is the fourth player in NFL history with three consecutive 100-catch seasons.

Given the funk that Moss appears to be in, I would expect Brady to continue to target Welker on at least half of his passes.

• What a stunner, Adalius Thomas being ruled inactive Sunday after daring to publicly question the wisdom of Bill Belichick's methods of coaching discipline. Bye-bye, Adalius. If you thought being sent home on Wednesday was embarrassing, then you probably won't like sitting the pine the rest of the year and being sent packing this offseason.

Then again, the problem with Thomas for the past three seasons in New England has been that even when he's active, he's not very active.

• Speaking of veteran free-agent acquisitions who have done little to earn their money in New England, Shawn Springs actually started at cornerback for the Patriots against Carolina, his first action in a month.

Alas, his luck didn't hold. He briefly left the game with an injury, then returned in time to surrender a 41-yard Matt Moore touchdown pass to Steve Smith.

• Another week, another fourth-down call that went awry for the Patriots. We get it, Bill. You like to go for it on fourth down. But stop trying to prove it every chance you get.

• What has gotten into Laurence Maroney? He looks like a real NFL running back these days. Running north and south, lowering his shoulder for extra yardage, catching the ball out of the backfield. Where's that been the last three years or so?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Re: Don Banks of Sports Illustrated on Patriots

I got lambasted for suggesting that Moss was taking plays off a couple of weeks ago.  Even the highlights caught him either not finishing a route, not scrambling for an opening when the QB was scrambling, or giving an alligator arms effort to catch a ball. 

The guy is phenomenal, but he is not playing his best right now, and based on some of the effort I have seen, it is by choice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: Don Banks of Sports Illustrated on Patriots:
    [QUOTE]I got lambasted for suggesting that Moss was taking plays off a couple of weeks ago.  Even the highlights caught him either not finishing a route, not scrambling for an opening when the QB was scrambling, or giving an alligator arms effort to catch a ball.  The guy is phenomenal, but he is not playing his best right now, and based on some of the effort I have seen, it is by choice.
    Posted by underdoggg[/QUOTE]

Trolls do that, they say things that are not true to get a rise out of the fans from other teams.

When you said that, Moss was his normal self.....He has since gotten worse the last 2 games.  Much worse.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

This guy is is a half empty kind of person.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Tell you what though, if you lay off him to focus elsewhere, Brady will find him and they will burn the d time and again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]Tell you what though, if you lay off him to focus elsewhere, Brady will find him and they will burn the d time and again.
    Agree, and I think that tells you what teams really think about Moss.  Carolina says "we knew we could get him to quit", than why did you keep doubling him in the the 4th quarter.  Teams know that If you forget about Moss for only one play you will give up a TD.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

//Speaking of veteran free-agent acquisitions who have done little to earn their money in New England, Shawn Springs actually started at cornerback for the Patriots against Carolina, his first action in a month.

Alas, his luck didn't hold. He briefly left the game with an injury, then returned in time to surrender a 41-yard Matt Moore touchdown pass to Steve Smith//

It's easy to be critical of Springs but I did not see any help whatsoever from the Safeties on the Smith touchdown.  Merriweather and Sanders were snoozing.....zzz

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

[QUOTE]I got lambasted for suggesting that Moss was taking plays off a couple of weeks ago.  Even the highlights caught him either not finishing a route, not scrambling for an opening when the QB was scrambling, or giving an alligator arms effort to catch a ball.  The guy is phenomenal, but he is not playing his best right now, and based on some of the effort I have seen, it is by choice.

oh no! Not another weeks of your putrid garage posts. You are the biggest POS on this board. GO GET A JOB LOSER

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portcallen99. Show portcallen99's posts

while posters are critical of Springs and Moss, let's spread it around a bit more. Brady did not play well, and the main reason is, when his primary target is covered, he won't look around for an open receiver. He just kind of keeps focusing on one area instead of actually looking around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

[QUOTE]// Speaking of veteran free-agent acquisitions who have done little to earn their money in New England,  Shawn Springs  actually started at cornerback for the Patriots against Carolina, his first action in a month. Alas, his luck didn't hold. He briefly left the game with an injury, then returned in time to surrender a 41-yard Matt Moore touchdown pass to  Steve Smith// It's easy to be critical of Springs but I did not see any help whatsoever from the Safeties on the Smith touchdown.  Merriweather and Sanders were snoozing.....zzz
    Posted by gfkr2[/QUOTE]
    True. They actually said after the game that Meriweather was supposed to go up to cover, but bit hard on the playaction. That TD wasn't all Springs' fault.

I can't stand these sports writers. They don't understand a thing about the Pats, but want to criticise every move they make. They were calling our defense old and slow half the year. I mean come on! They're the youngest they've been in years!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Espnetboy3. Show Espnetboy3's posts

its no secret next year we will have new coordinators. When your so successful over the years then the talent pool in your organization gets drained. We need a real O Coordinator. Brady does seem to just look at 1 or 2 reads at most this year. Now they do say an injury like his takes 2 years so what he is doing this year is remarkable but i agree they need to stop turning it over. That drive with sammy morris fumble was looking stellar.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Ironically, Thomas and Springs were reported (PatsFans.com) to have had a little sarcatsic exchange going, whilst the former was being interviewed about being sent home.  Collectively, these two non-perfomrers and malcontents absorb a decent chunk of the cap.  The Pats and Sox don't seem to have a good track record, of late, for taking on those big contracts.  The latter have shelled out $40m+ to other teams just to get rid of the player/contract!  Let's face it, $14m-$15m could certainly be used elsewhere on the the current (Pats) roster.  Ideally, these two would be gone; the Pats might get something (besides cap relief) in return.  We'll see...

Sections
Shortcuts