Donald Jones Visiting

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Donald Jones Visiting

In response to dreighver's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

Come on, really?  Another receiver who has not played a full season the last 2 years, 8 and 12 games, respectively.  Sure he could turn out to be a good pickup if he can stay on the field but here we go again, bringing in quantity instead of quality.  If your TFB you gotta be shaking your head here.  They need to bring in a quality receiver either to replace Lloyd or who will be the featured deeper threat along side Lloyd. 

Still a bit sour from yesterday? I thought a good night's sleep would've done you some good.

Hahaha, no the fact remains this team still has not got any better since last season with so many quality players available and to wake up and see ..... Donald Jones visiting.  Really?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Some of you guys are wanting BB to run this team like you run your Fantasy Football roster.  This is the exact type of Free Agent approach that NE has taken for the past 12+ years.  During that time we have been by far the most consistent and successful team in the NFL.  Please look at the big picture.  You can't just pay out the A$$ for everyone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Come on, really?  Another receiver who has not played a full season the last 2 years, 8 and 12 games, respectively.  Sure he could turn out to be a good pickup if he can stay on the field but here we go again, bringing in quantity instead of quality.  If your TFB you gotta be shaking your head here.  They need to bring in a quality receiver either to replace Lloyd or who will be the featured deeper threat along side Lloyd. 

Still a bit sour from yesterday? I thought a good night's sleep would've done you some good.

Would you be happy if they went into camp with Amendola, Jones, Lloyd, and Slater?

Lloyd is what he is. In my opinion, a #2 who can work the sidelines and intermediate parts of the field and ocassionally go deep. 

As far as I'm concerned, Amendola is an upgrade to Welker at this point assuming health.

Slater is a special-teams player, nothing more nothing less.

Jones is an unknown, but it seems like the physical tools are there to be productive, especially as a deep threat. Whether he signs and has an impact remains to be seen, but I think he's an interesting prospect. 

Let's not discount the possibility of Edelman returning.

What so far have you seen that suggests that:

1) He can come in here and have instant chemistry with Brady

2) He can give you 100recs a season when he hasn't even gotten close to that yet

3) Can stay healhty enough to stay on the field

1) "Instant" chemistry? Where did I ever say that? Of course it will take time, but that's why they have an offseason and preseason... to work on things like timing and getting to know each other. Welker had 100+ catches his first season here, and that's a testament to Brady's hard work and Welker's hard work. If Brady and Amendola put in the time, there's no reason the production can't be similar.

2)/3) Well, statisically speaking, Amendola has a better catch % than Welker, and the general consensus seems to be that he has more dependable hands. The reason he hasn't approached 100 catches before, and this relates to #3, is due to his two freak injuries. Clearly they concern you, but they don't raise that same level of uneasiness in me. We will have to wait and see how it actually works out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Hahaha, no the fact remains this team still has not got any better since last season with so many quality players available and to wake up and see ..... Donald Jones visiting.  Really?

Yet you guys are  in love with Nelson on the same team who really is a slot guy??  Besides Jenning, there aint no other stars out there. sorry to break it to you guys...Be happy he is looking at WRs because we only have 2 signed and maybe one on the way out. I happen to think D.J. offers more than LLoyd with his speed. and he is the same height

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Some of you guys are wanting BB to run this team like you run your Fantasy Football roster.  This is the exact type of Free Agent approach that NE has taken for the past 12+ years.  During that time we have been by far the most consistent and successful team in the NFL.  Please look at the big picture.  You can't just pay out the A$$ for everyone.

Thank You!  Guys need to stop b*tching! You DONT want to over pay for Jennings but expect BB to magically sign a bunch of talented, Big name WRs that DONT EXIST! The market S*cks! They acted quick on Amendola and are working on bringing in more help.

Eng, you asked if Danny can come in and catch 100 balls?? Why does he have to do that? Do you  understand that BB decided to move ON from Wes and hence the low deal to make him leave. This offense getting 100 catches from Wes hasnt won anything and our Sb winning years always had us SPREADING the ball. Im excited to see us get back to that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Yet you guys are  in love with Nelson on the same team who really is a slot guy??  Besides Jenning, there aint no other stars out there. sorry to break it to you guys...Be happy he is looking at WRs because we only have 2 signed and maybe one on the way out. I happen to think D.J. offers more than LLoyd with his speed. and he is the same height

Nelson has size Jones does not. If I'm going after a #3 WR I'll take an average WR with size over and average WR with average size and speed anyday

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Thank You!  Guys need to stop b*tching! You DONT want to over pay for Jennings but expect BB to magically sign a bunch of talented, Big name WRs that DONT EXIST! The market S*cks! They acted quick on Amendola and are working on bringing in more help.

Eng, you asked if Danny can come in and catch 100 balls?? Why does he have to do that? Do you  understand that BB decided to move ON from Wes and hence the low deal to make him leave. This offense getting 100 catches from Wes hasnt won anything and our Sb winning years always had us SPREADING the ball. Im excited to see us get back to that.

The market sucks but the let a proven commodity go for pennies? Really? Someone has to make up for those lost catches, who will it be? Spread the ball around fine but do it with a different philosphy. Why bring in a guy that most compares to the one you just lost if you want to change the philosphy? If I have a mustang and decided I need something different because the maintance and gas milage is bad I'm not going to buy a firebird. That's just insane

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Maybe their Free Agent approach isn't working, so far it clearly looks like it they are still following the same path they have gone down during FA time in the past.  The fact is they haven't won a SB for a long while now, they have been able to be at the top for so long but they need to make some changes to get over the top.  They aren't doing that at this point.  It seems like the same ol stuff different day.  They will have to pay some good money to bring in some top talent, thats the whole reason TFB restructured his deal.  It looks like they will continue to bring in quantity instead of quality, thow them all against the wall and see who sticks.  Why not bring in a top guality proven player to help fix this teams holes?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

As I said before I think it is clear the Pats would like to get younger at WR.  Other than Moss the Pats have never brought in a guy that has previously put up numerous thousand yard seasons.  Who is to say that a few of these young guys can't put up better numbers playing in this offense?  I mean christ Welker wasn't exactly lighting the league on fire before he came here.  Now I'm not saying Welker isn't great, but the offense isn't going to fall off a cliff if the guys replacing Wes don't catch 120 dam balls.  Before people freak out and compare this to 2006 I would like to point out that Gronk, Hernandez and even Lloyd are miles ahead of Reche freaking Caldwell.  Come on people.  Lets keep a little perspective.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

The market sucks but the let a proven commodity go for pennies? Really? Someone has to make up for those lost catches, who will it be? Spread the ball around fine but do it with a different philosphy. Why bring in a guy that most compares to the one you just lost if you want to change the philosphy? If I have a mustang and decided I need something different because the maintance and gas milage is bad I'm not going to buy a firebird. That's just insane

Eng, you are not putting everything into perspective and you know BB doesnt play games. I hear the Pats offered him 3/24 or something like that last year. Wes decided he was worth more and declined, they tagged him in good faith to continue to negotiate. He goes public with bad comments and has a season like normal but with more drops and another bad playoff game with 3 drops in key spots. I have been telling you guys for a while , a slot WR cant demand big money and he found out the hard way. His agent probably tried to be smart and tell the Pats they have a deal in place with Denver and BB got pissed and said Eff it, take the offer. Wes' agent probably called back Denver to try to get a better deal and Elway was watching the TV ticker say "Pats break off talks w/Wes" and Elway said, we dont have to even give you 6, but we will cuz we feel sorry for wes and want him to come here happy but dont try to play me, NE is done, so wes need us and has no other suitors. We'll give him 2/12 and his agent told Wes, Hey your going to Denver. Wes played himself! Thats the Biz! He was gonna need to be replaced and Amendola was available now. Thats good Biz! Younger, faster and maybe not as efficient which is GOOD because Brady will spread the ball now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

As I said before I think it is clear the Pats would like to get younger at WR.  Other than Moss the Pats have never brought in a guy that has previously put up numerous thousand yard seasons.  Who is to say that a few of these young guys can't put up better numbers playing in this offense?  I mean christ Welker wasn't exactly lighting the league on fire before he came here.  Now I'm not saying Welker isn't great, but the offense isn't going to fall off a cliff if the guys replacing Wes don't catch 120 dam balls.  Before people freak out and compare this to 2006 I would like to point out that Gronk, Hernandez and even Lloyd are miles ahead of Reche freaking Caldwell.  Come on people.  Lets keep a little perspective.

I don't care about the 120balls right now what I care about is the 16 games. There is nothing in his history to suggest he can play 16 games. he's only finished 1/4 of possible games in the last 2 years. He's playd in slightly more then 1/3 of possible games. It does absolutely no good if he can't stay on the field. As of right now there is a good chance that we will see Slater as the #2 WR on this team during the season. Are you happy seeing Slater start a game?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

I didn't know he was still alive?

Wow.  He musta thought he got hit by a bus.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

As of right now there is a good chance that we will see Slater as the #2 WR on this team during the season. Are you happy seeing Slater start a game?

Did I miss something?  Did the NFL move opening day to March?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

I don't care about the 120balls right now what I care about is the 16 games. There is nothing in his history to suggest he can play 16 games. he's only finished 1/4 of possible games in the last 2 years. He's playd in slightly more then 1/3 of possible games. It does absolutely no good if he can't stay on the field. As of right now there is a good chance that we will see Slater as the #2 WR on this team during the season. Are you happy seeing Slater start a game?

Look, if come this time next year we're looking for another Welker and Amendola was a flop, then yes, I'll some crow.

But this hard line you're taking, saying that this was a bad move, no questions asked, and that the situation will develop in no other way besides a bad way (for New England) is beyond annoying, negative, and pessimistic.

The water is under the bridge, the horse is out of the barn, Welker is gone, and Amendola is here. Time to move on and try to be positive about the future of the Patriots.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

As of right now there is a good chance that we will see Slater as the #2 WR on this team during the season. Are you happy seeing Slater start a game?

Did I miss something?  Did the NFL move opening day to March?

+1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Eng, you are not putting everything into perspective and you know BB doesnt play games. I hear the Pats offered him 3/24 or something like that last year. Wes decided he was worth more and declined, they tagged him in good faith to continue to negotiate. He goes public with bad comments and has a season like normal but with more drops and another bad playoff game with 3 drops in key spots. I have been telling you guys for a while , a slot WR cant demand big money and he found out the hard way. His agent probably tried to be smart and tell the Pats they have a deal in place with Denver and BB got pissed and said Eff it, take the offer. Wes' agent probably called back Denver to try to get a better deal and Elway was watching the TV ticker say "Pats break off talks w/Wes" and Elway said, we dont have to even give you 6, but we will cuz we feel sorry for wes and want him to come here happy but dont try to play me, NE is done, so wes need us and has no other suitors. We'll give him 2/12 and his agent told Wes, Hey your going to Denver. Wes played himself! Thats the Biz! He was gonna need to be replaced and Amendola was available now. Thats good Biz! Younger, faster and maybe not as efficient which is GOOD because Brady will spread the ball now.

• If Amendola proved to be durable before signing I'd be alright with this
    • If Wes got big money and they used the difference to sign D players I'd be fine
    • If they let Wes walk and focused on fixing secondary issues right off the bat I'd be fine
    • If they went in a different direction with the O and signed a different style of player to replace Welker I'd understand

As of today:

• Amendola can't stay healthy
    • Wes didn't get paid much and the difference in Wes and Amedola (2mil cap wise) isn't even enough to sign a good slot CB
    • They have yet to even be rumored to look at any DBs with some of the best coming off the FA list quickly
    • They signed essentially a younger faster but less agile version of Welker to play the same role

They have done nothing this offseason to address a single need and allowed their most proven asset get away to their biggest competition for less then 2mil in cap space while replacing him with a huge health question mark that at best case would be a wash. How does that make sense in the least? I don't need them to go out and go crazy spend but getting 2nd and 3rd teir FA's to play starters is exactly what they did last year and how did they work out? Waiting for the secondary market is fine when you just need to add depth but when you have massive pourous holes in starting positions you need to fill them with talent not buy the left overs and think you can plug the hole by tossing 6 guys at it and hoping one fits

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Dude slater started games with Wes here so relax and stop making it more than what it is. His injuries were collarbone and dislocated elbow,. Those are freak injuries and I doubt he is injury prone as opposed to just playing wreckless which CAN be managed. He didnt have ankle, knee, concussion issues and how come noon talks about Wes possibly having consussion issues??? We know BB wouldnt say but dude has had his clock cleaned on a regular and it messes with his focus. He dropped those passes because he was dazed! His hands are small and fail him in the clutch.  Im glad we are moving on. You can B*tch about it or Embrace it. Choice is yours

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I'm tired of the "yeah, but can he stay healthy" comments. 

This is the NFL.  Nobody is guarranteed to stay healthy.   Gronk, Hern, Edelman have all had injury issues along with many others on the team at other positions.  It's part of the game.  

Welker blew his knee out without being touched.  Lucky for him it was the last game of the year and not the first.  He could have been out for a whole season if it weren't for the fortunate timing of the injury.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Look, if come this time next year we're looking for another Welker and Amendola was a flop, then yes, I'll some crow.

But this hard line you're taking, saying that this was a bad move, no questions asked, and that the situation will develop in no other way besides a bad way (for New England) is beyond annoying, negative, and pessimistic.

The water is under the bridge, the horse is out of the barn, Welker is gone, and Amendola is here. Time to move on and try to be positive about the future of the Patriots.

I said the same thing in 06'

I say it's just as bad to wear ruby colored glasses and say everything is perfect when it isn't. I demanded the same from all my teams. Don't feed me garbage and tell me it's better. If they go out and spend to get some real talent in the secondary or DL and if they get another WR to fill that #1/2 role then that's a different story but so far I see them taking the same old approach with FA that hasn't worked since 05'. They need to add some serious pieces because would you be happen if the biggest move they made this offseason was swapping Amendola for Welker. And yes I know it's still early in FA but look at the FA board and tell me who is left that can make an impact right now

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

I say it's just as bad to wear ruby colored glasses and say everything is perfect when it isn't. I demanded the same from all my teams. Don't feed me garbage and tell me it's better. If they go out and spend to get some real talent in the secondary or DL and if they get another WR to fill that #1/2 role then that's a different story but so far I see them taking the same old approach with FA that hasn't worked since 05'. They need to add some serious pieces because would you be happen if the biggest move they made this offseason was swapping Amendola for Welker. And yes I know it's still early in FA but look at the FA board and tell me who is left that can make an impact right now

What are you talking about?

"... but so far I see them taking the same old approach with FA that hasn't worked since 05'."

They were a David Tyree miracle and a Welker drop away from winning 5 Super Bowls in 10 years. Not mention they've been to the playoffs every year since '05 with the exception of the season that Brady went down.

If that isn't working for you, I'd encourage you to lower your expectations.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

This would be a nice pick up. We need size and speed at WR and he brings both. There's not alot out there at WR this year and it is surprising that the Bills would have cut him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

• If Wes got big money and they used the difference to sign D players I'd be fine
    • If they let Wes walk and focused on fixing secondary issues right off the bat I'd be fine
    • If they went in a different direction with the O and signed a different style of player to replace Welker I'd understand

As of today:

• Wes didn't get paid much and the difference in Wes and Amedola (2mil cap wise) isn't even enough to sign a good slot CB
    • They have yet to even be rumored to look at any DBs with some of the best coming off the FA list quickly
    • They signed essentially a younger faster but less agile version of Welker to play the same role

They have done nothing this offseason to address a single need and allowed their most proven asset get away to their biggest competition for less then 2mil in cap space while replacing him with a huge health question mark that at best case would be a wash. How does that make sense in the least? I don't need them to go out and go crazy spend but getting 2nd and 3rd teir FA's to play starters is exactly what they did last year and how did they work out? Waiting for the secondary market is fine when you just need to add depth but when you have massive pourous holes in starting positions you need to fill them with talent not buy the left overs and think you can plug the hole by tossing 6 guys at it and hoping one fits

Spot on PatsEng. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

What are you talking about?

"... but so far I see them taking the same old approach with FA that hasn't worked since 05'."

They were a David Tyree miracle and a Welker drop away from winning 5 Super Bowls in 10 years. Not mention they've been to the playoffs every year since '05 with the exception of the season that Brady went down.

If that isn't working for you, I'd encourage you to lower your expectations.

Exactly... and I always remind people the Patriots had the lead in both of those Super Bowls and simply needed the D to step up and make some stops. They didn't get it done. Lets continue to rebuild the defense to a top 10 unit.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

As of today:

Spot on PatsEng. 

Most of this is opinion, conjecture, or things that are still in progress, such as the want/need  to sign defensive players.