Re: Don't ever forget this.. the real enemy is VIOLENT extremists of ALL stripes!
posted at 4/21/2013 8:55 PM EDT
In response to shenanigan's comment:
In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
Shenanigan, you keep digging yourself deeper into a hole.
I quote directly from the Pew 2011 study:
On the contrary, as found in the Pew Research Center’s 2007 survey, Muslims in the United States continue to reject extremism by much larger margins than most other Muslim publics around the world, and many express concern about the possible rise of Islamic extremism. Very few Muslim Americans – just 1% – say that suicide bombing and other forms of violence against civilian targets are often justified to defend Islam from its enemies; an additional 7% say suicide bombings are sometimes justified in these circumstances. Fully 81% say that suicide bombing and other forms of violence against civilians are never justified.
Good, 81% feel suicide bombing are never justified, what of the other 19%. Sorry Pro, but the correct answer is that 100% of the time bombing civilians isnt justified. i dont feel particularly comforted that only about 1 in 10 find bombings against civilian targets "sometimes justified". Dont you find that to be an unusually high number of people who support bombing civilians "sometimes."
Comparably small percentages of Muslim Americans express favorable views of al Qaeda, and the current poll finds more holding very unfavorable views of al Qaeda now than in 2007.
Above you say that in 2007, Pew found that 26% of young American Muslims believe suicide bombings are justified. From the actual report:
In addition, the survey finds that younger Muslim
Americans – those under age 30 – are both much more
religiously observant and more accepting of Islamic extremism
than are older Muslim Americans. Younger Muslim Americans
report attending services at a mosque more frequently than do
older Muslims. And a greater percentage of younger Muslims in
the U.S. think of themselves first as Muslims, rather than
primarily as Americans (60% vs. 41% among Muslim
Americans ages 30 and older). Moreover, more than twice as
many Muslim Americans under age 30 as older Muslims believe
that suicide bombings can be often or sometimes justified in the
defense of Islam (15% vs. 6%).
As far as your Canadian poll, the question about Sharia law was this:
There’s been some discussion, especially in the last
Ontario provincial election, about what the laws in our province
and country should be with respect to religion. In your judgment,
should Ontario laws…
Make no space for the
practice of Sharia Law (22%)
Allow individual Muslims
or Muslim families
to choose to be ruled by
Sharia courts in the case
of divorce and other
family matters if they
want to (47%)
Require Muslims to be
ruled by Sharia courts
on family matters (8%)
Require Muslims to be
ruled by Sharia courts
on all matters (7%)
Don’t know, refuse (17%)
Some how this doesn't terrify me. The fact that a number of Muslims think Muslims should have the choice of following Muslim law in divorce cases isn't horrifying.
So let's see, 22% don't want Sharia law in family matters. Comforting that only 62% believe their own religous laws should trump government laws. Lets go ahead and look at those laws. A man can divorce his wife by saying she displeases him. A man can have up to four wives. A woman can only receive half as much as a man in a divorce. A mean can beat his wife if she's disobedient. And those are the mainstream laws. Should I go on about 7th century Sharia law? It is everything you would expect of 7th century law and it has no place in the world 100% of the time.
That's not how most modernized Muslims view Sharia law, but I'm sure you read it on some website. There are extremists who would indeed want to see such archaic versions of Sharia introduced. But not all Sharia law is the Taliban's version of it.
I live in Ontario right now. We have a very vibrant and moderate Muslim community. The discussion around Sharia law in marriage and divorce came as follows. It was hardly the sinister thing you make it out to be.
How did Shariah come to be considered in Canadian jurisdictions?
In 1991, Ontario was looking for ways to ease the burdens of a backlogged court system. So the province changed its Arbitration Act to allow "faith-based arbitration" – a system where Muslims, Jews, Catholics and members of other faiths could use the guiding principles of their religions to settle family disputes such as divorce, custody and inheritances outside the court system.
It's voluntary – both parties (a husband and wife) have to agree to go through the process. But once they do, the decisions rendered by the tribunal are binding.