Don't expect Meri to improve his tackling

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Don't expect Meri to improve his tackling

Here's an interview with Meriweather, on his tackling, he blames not enough guys around the ball.

I think he is approaching it completely wrong, he's a safety last line of defense if he doesn't tackle there's probably not too many people around 40 yards down the field to help.  Yeah exactly what I want to hear from our SS.

Would this be what RH would say or Milloy?  Those guys wanted to have a free shot a someone without worrying if they were taking their own player out.  I might be making too much out of it but I don't like how he puts some of his inabilities to tackle on other players also saying this is a regular occurrence around the league?  I hope Brown can fix his thinking and his tackling if not more long TDs will be scored on this D.

http://blog.pfwonline.com/?p=2800

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

Re: Don't expect Meri to improve his tackling

i dont think brandon is your prototypical SS anyways, they have to be sure tacklers( which brandon isnt quite yet) and are usually a little heavier 210-230 and taller. i think if brandon moved to FS his tackling would be less reconized.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

While he is approaching it wrong (or maybe just expressing it with the wrong words), I'm sure Belichick will point this out to him. Not like he's going to say "yeah, you're right about not enough guys being around the ball. Just keep doing what you're doing"

Also, a pass rush would help.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Meriweather is a good player who is only going to get better.  He is the least of our problems at this point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

He has been working out inthe offseason with Ed Reed...hopefully Ed isn't leading him astray....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: Don't expect Meri to improve his tackling:
    Meriweather is a good player who is only going to get better.  He is the least of our problems at this point.
    Posted by 123meg

Did you watch the saints game?  the Colts game and on and on, he is a liability back there he is a problem.  Might be enough of a problem for the Pats to try to draft another S.  They are working out Kam Chancellor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Meriweather shouldn't be whiffing on guys and that's his fault; he's the last line of defense. I have posted excerpts from an article, http://www.cnn.com/2009/OPINION/12/13/greene.tackling.football/index.html, from Dec 13 '09, "Hey what happened to tackling".

"When did they stop tackling?"

I knew exactly what he meant. In recent years, the time-honored tackle -- a defender bringing a runner down by wrapping his arms around him and pulling him to the ground -- seems, to a casual observer, to have become an endangered species.

Instead of classic tackling, professional games are dominated by bodies smashing into bodies, by a defender flat-out leveling a runner, like a wrecking ball banging into the wall of a building.

Meaning the potential payoff from a standard tackle is not as great as the potential game-changing payoff from a speeding body hurtling into a ball carrier.

There was a bit more about the pads being stronger encouraging harder hitting but that was the gist. 

Blame Meriweather but part of his problem is the way he's coached. If he could learn how to go in for the huge hit but then complete the tackle like Rodney he could be a complete player. Rodney also was compartively slow but played great coverage defense. I've also heard Meriweather say he doesn't like wearing his presciption eyeglasses because they make him look like a dork.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Pats7393 you are a little too tough on him.  He gave up a few plays that looked really bad and kind of stuck in some people's minds, but overall he makes way more plays that he gives up.  Not necessarily game changing plays (although he has now caused 13 turnovers in 1.5 years as a starter) but his range stopped a lot of big plays from happening this year.

Over the first 8-9 games off the season the buzz around the league was that he had been the best safety in the AFC.  His play fell off a bit in the second half but he's not even remotely close to being benched.  There are a lot of teams that would take Meriweather as one of their starting safeties in a heartbeat.  Keep in mind also that he's 25 and one of the most diligent workers on the team.

I agree with posters who said he's better off at FS.  I did see him playing more deep coverage last year, and with the hopeful emergence of Chung this season, that continues.  Safeties are the last line of defense so when they get beat, it usually is a big TD and they look really bad.  There are only a small handful of safeties that never are made to look bad like that. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

what makes you say he wont improve? he has clearly made big strides each year he has been in the league; there is no reason to think that he wont continue to do that. especially considering the fact that he is there working out and watching film and seemingly doing all the things in the off season it takes to get better. he is entering his prime and i think there is no reason to expect that he wont have a good year.
    and i agree with a previous poster that he is better suited as a FS, which i think is the plan in the long term, with chung being the SS. i like mcgowan's toughness but i dont think he is an every down player. but he will be a good role player for us once chung is ready to step up (hopefully sooner rather than later).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: Don't expect Meri to improve his tackling :   I did and I also noticed they benched McGowan for Sanders and the Safety duo immediatley improved thereafter.  This Safety group is as good as any in football. I can't believe people are making comments about Safety. Get the secondary a pass rush.  Meriweather needs to improve on tackling (too high) and his angles, but he's improved the two years he's been at his natural position.  The Colts game featured a horrendous PI call on Butler leading to a TD and Warren with his first game back, Green out, Banta Cain and Ninkovich (both had sacks in that game) got hurt, not to return. That's an awful lot of your front 7 and your best rushers to not be available against Egghead Manning. Please use your head a little. That's the second strange comment I have seen from you here. Get this secondary a rush and watch how the experienced and YOUNG personnel evolves into a great unit, folks.
    Posted by russgriswold

Strange comment?  I have not been a Meri fan since he was drafted not at S anyways.  I was all for Chung last year and Kam Chancellor this year.  Although safety is not a need right now I do think if it can be afforded one should be taken.  Sanders has one year left on his contract, McGowan is not as good as most think, Meri is a liability IMO and Chung is developing.

So I see everyone's point but unless I don't get the safety position in BBs system it is as important as the OLB or NT.  Although we call FS and SS they really sometimes are interchangeable. 

My comments about Meri to CB, it was his position at Miami before he was moved to safety because of need due to injury.  He was a good CB and I think he would be a better CB than he is a safety.  He has the speed to stay with #2 and #3 receivers in the league.  This also gives him less field to worry about and the thought he's a run supporter before coverage guy. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

For me, yes,” he replied. “I think with tackles, it all comes [down] to hustle. If everybody’s running to the ball, you could miss 10 tackles and they still won’t get too many yards. You know, the best defenses in the league this year, I think the first guy didn’t make the tackle. Barely ever made the tackle, should I say. It’s always the pursuit. Whenever you have a lot of guys running to the ball, you’re going to have a good defense, no matter what.”

So, let me get this straight … it’s about quantity, not quality? It’s less about using proper technique to bring down an opponent, and more about sending as many people as possible at a ball carrier, so that your odds of tackling him increase?

Hmm … I have to challenge Meriweather on this point."

FIRST, This is from the article.  And the author's an id#ot because he's nit-picking.  Merriweather when asked about his tackling, focused more on the hustle and overall aggressiveness of playing on a tough, hard-charging 100% effort Defense...which is fine.  But the author ignorantly took that point by Merri to mean something about NOT using good-technique and simply throwing mass-quantiies of defenders at a ball-carrier.  The author doesn't like Merriweather and he's looking for a story, which makes for unbiased and simply very well-factual based journalism, good for him.

SECOND, WHAT on good's green earth is everybody talking about in regards to Merri's tackling.  It is NOT so awful as to be news- or even trully blame worthy.  YES, It IS all about technique.  At the U of M, Merri won the hardest-hitter award 1 or 2 times, during his collegiate time there.  And I've seen him outright level people from his earliest days on...  So, I DO understand the author's mindset on HOW going for the smashing hit HAS trumped simply wrapping up a ball-carrier and limiting his gains with sure-fire standard tackling... 
         BUT, this has got to be viewed in a larger light.  First off, these defenders in the secondary playing smash-mouth over wrap-up tackling, Is a league-wide all-pervasive phenomena these days, and Merri is one of many...and he's not even all-bad.  Merriweather IS far worse at taking his Strong Safety, smash-mouth, big-hitter, intellect and football IQ- INTO the Free Safety, deep-zone role he occupied for far longer this past season than he ever had previously in his football lifetime.  Merri, bit on fakes and jumped routes to try to go for these big-hits and big-plays, rather than realizing as a Free Safety deep-zone guy, You ARE the very last line of defense...  YET now, posters are saying he SHOULD be a Free Safety more?  That's the role he had the most trouble with this past year.  He's a hard-hitter and aggresive playmaker, and He IS decent in coverage...  BUT he trully has to change his mentaility given whatever specific secondary position Belichick wants him to occupy at the time. 

But there is a good-thing to all of this-YES, as Pats7393 sated, BB wants interchangeable Safeties to mix up looks given to opposing offenses, So Merri's time in deep-zone was a neccessary evil and needed learning curve for his Total Development in having the all-around game BB wants outta his Safeties in order to disguise His Defenses far better...so give Merri that development time and give him this upcoming year people, to see what he's learned and what's up BB's sleeve...and dear god, give the secondary a pass-rush while you're at it BB...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

WE NEED A PASS RUSH!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

He whiffs a lot.  It's like he's afraid to hit a non-engaged player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I expect nothing out of Merriweather. He's been here long enough to to disappoint me and nothing else. Let the Draft begin.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Im a Meri fan , but he didnt have a good year and Im sorry , but some of you really have no idea what your talking about. First of all saying he has improved every year since coming into the league isnt saying much if you watch him play. You would never confuse him with Ray Lewis , but his tackling and wrapping up were terrible this year and quite frankly were never that good. He whiffed way to much for a S and when he could there he didnt or couldnt wrap up. And alot of that has to do with the angles he took , which were also terrible. And please it wasnt just the last game against the Ravens , it was a good 11-12 games and again thats unacceptable from either one of your S's. One last thing about his tackling and the maybe the scariest thing about it is his form. Far to many times Ive seen him try and " hit " someone , which to be honest is a huge problem throughout the league , not just his. And when he does try an actually tackle someone hes way to high. Its scary because hes a legit vet now. I hate bringing it up , but its like the problem Tebow has w/ his delivery. The guys been throwing or in Meri's case tackling like that since he was in pup warner , what makes you think hes going to change now and actually bring it with him in the game? I also want to add something else that factors into this and I never read it on here or hear it anywhere else for that matter. Unlike most teams the PATS on and off for years have used their S's interchangeably. To be effective at the S position for the PATS you really need smart and athletic , alot more than on other teams IMHO. Harrison was such a great player and mastered the role here , of coarse he absolutely should be going to the HOF and is one of the best ten S's to ever play IMHO. Someone else who plays the same hybrid role is T.P. from Pitt , he's great in coverage and is as good coming into the box and playing the run. Meri has all the physical tools IMHO , but lacks the smarts and really pays for it when he needs to take an angle. Diagnosing and reading plays has nothing to do with how quick/fast you are , but if you fail to do so your going to misread a call and be out of position to make it.
    The second issue I have is with the morons who think this isnt a big deal , and the loser who said are S group was as good as anyones in the league. You clearly dont watch football and know absolutely nothing about it. And anyone who thinks " all we need is a pass rush " is just as clueless. I love these people who all year were screaming about a pass rush , yea great job because nobody noticed you. Im sorry , but your showing how little you understand and know about the game. Just having a pass rush isnt going to fix the way teams ran on us and they told us that they were going to do so. Yes it will help in terms of the passing game , but not as much as most of you think it will. You could have lined up Peppers and Freeney last year and Wilhite would still would have been burnt like toast. Evereybody and I mean Everybody knows we need a pass rush , but thats not soving all of our problems. The ILB position is almost as big a problem as our OLB. IMHO 51 will comeback this year and tear up the league , but he needs some big help opposite of him. And if we really want to have a great D we absolutely have to have better play from our 5 technique. I would have made the trade with Oakland in a second , but Sey is one of the best to ever play the 5 tech. Finding another Sey will be extremely hard and we dont even need someone that great , but we have to be alot better than last year. Again all the pass rush in the world wont help if you dont have solid play from the DE in a 3-4.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Like I said in my other post , Im a fan , but there comes a point when have to say " Ok we've seen this guy enough to know what he is and what hes not". For a example Ive said the samething about Watson and Maroney for years. The "potential" arguement only goes so far , LOL , I mean enoughs enough. There needs to be some type of rule that clearly defines how long one can use that arguement to defend Alex Smith. The reason I felt that way about Watson is because hes a TE that cant preform 50% of TE duties LOL. He was a pretty decent blocker , but for a guy who could run/jump like a wideout he dropped WAY to many balls. And the guy ran the same route for 6 years , there are so many losers on here that absolutely love to kill 81 when he doesnt come up w/ 145/2 TDs every game. They love to call him soft and talk about how he disappears etc , but the guy hasnt missed a game w/ the PATS and always plays hurt like he did all this year. Hes caught far more tough catches than Watson and taken just as many if not more hits as a PAT.Whens the last time Watson went over the middle and took a nice hit , whens the last time he even went over the middle? He ran the same seem route for 6 years while he here. Same deal w/ Maroney , hes had one decent year , but cmon he has the same issues now that he did when he came here. We dont need to get into them , everyone knows what the are. My point is that Meri's been here for 3 years and after this year we're going to have a really good idea what type of player he is. The PATS are just keeping these guys because their own rookie contracts and we might need to buy some out. Why not trade some of these guys and get something for them , before last year we could have got a decent return for Watson and Maroney.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

WE NEED A PASS RUSH!
    Posted by HOTBLITZ
    Awsome picture, was he cramming notes up there?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

he better, and this is the year he better bring is game up a level or two. a defensive player should love to do one thing-pulverize a runner or receiver and tackle him to the ground like the old patriots DBs did last decade.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

He has been working out inthe offseason with Ed Reed...hopefully Ed isn't leading him astray....
    Posted by m1021us

Ed Reed isn't exactly a form tackler himself. Most FS types are not these days. They are about lining up a hit, and more often scanning for a pick. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Posted by 123meg

I wouldn't say he's the last of our worries, but he's certainly not first.

I also agree he's not really a typical SS, is prolly a little lighter. don't know if he can add 15 lbs of muscle and not be slower....
    He also needs to improve his tackling technique...and knowing where to be.
    He bit the bait quite often vs. NO...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Don't expect Meri to improve his tackling :  He also needs to improve his tackling technique...and knowing where to be. He bit the bait quite often vs. NO...
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

yeah, he really got exposed in that NO game, i was pissed at his perfromance

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

you cant really blame everything on meri for the NO game, that was just a bad game in general for our whole defense..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Meriweather played FS this year, not SS. He will be a great FS if he learns how to tackle. That's the only knock I have on him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

THIS IS A TEAM THAT BADLY NEEDS A PASS RUSH, THAT ALSO HAS A  DEFENSIVE BACKFIELD,  BADLY IN NEED OF NEW BLOOD, AS IN A COMBO OF SIGNING BETTER DB'S, OR GETTING THEM IN THE DRAFT.  WILHITE AND WHEATLEY ARE BUSTS. IT APPEARS THAT BUTLER IS AS WELL, THIS YEAR'S
    PRE-SEASON GAMES SHOULD RESOLVE THAT. I HAVE BEEN HARPING ON DRAFTING MYRON ROLLE, SAFETY, A NATURAL LEADER, AND 6'2", 215 LBS, GOOD
    TACKLER, AND PASS DEFENDER, INTELLIGENT AND SAVY. PLUS ANOTHER
    CORNER WITH PROVEN ABILITIES. AGED SPRINGS IS SIGNED FOR 3 YEARS,
    OBVIOUSLY HAS TO PLAY (OPPOSITE BODDEN)) MCGOWAN AND SANDERS
    ARE ADEQUATE SAFETY BACKUPS. MERIWEATHER HAD LOTS OF '09 SEASON
    PROBLEMS HE HAS BLAMED OTHERS FOR. WITH A PASS RUSH, THAT SHOULD BE
    RESOLVED. CHUNG- SAT MOSTLY BUT HAD 2 INTS AND A SACK, AND CELEBRATING THEM, WHEN NOT. AND SPENDING LOTS OF TIME IN THE LOCAL
    TATOO PARLORS.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

49 patriots, im fairly sure brandon played mostly at SS last year, hopefully he gets moved to fulltime FS this year..

Sections
Shortcuts