Don't take the Combine too seriously

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Don't take the Combine too seriously

This is a great article on the Combine by former NFL center LeCharles Bentley, found as a link and an excerpt on Bruce Feldman's college football blog on ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/blog?name=feldman_bruce&id=4940939).  The full article is here: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/02/lecharles_bentley_on_the_nfl_c.html

Every player will be evaluated through the NFL's battery of testing procedures, many of which have absolutely zero bearing on the athletes' ability to play the game of football. 
    There aren't any opportunities during a game to bench press 225 pounds as many times as possible or run a 40-yard dash without a helmet. What ensues are general managers and coaches falling in love with a guy who could potentially be a workout warrior. All of the game film that has been studied suddenly becomes irrelevant because a guy ran a great 40. 
    Every coach in the league believes he is the best, or he wouldn't be coaching in the NFL. This fact leads them to believe they can coach any wide receiver who is 6-6 and runs a 4.3 40 to be the next Randy Moss. 
    The NFL is a business of attrition and is not designed to be a developmental league. Some may refute this by pointing to practice squads, but the term "practice squad" is fancy for "irrelevant body." When a player signs an NFL contract, he is immediately in a battle with time, and unfortunately time -- through age or lack of performance -- always wins out. This is why it is vital for every team to know who they are drafting and more importantly, why. Far too often, team officials leave Indianapolis with a rose-colored view of potential draft picks. 
    The Combine's real value is the mental component. All teams that draft the best recognize this. This doesn't apply to the Raiders as much as it does the Colts, Ravens and Patriots. 
    Sure, the testing is strenuous but athletes are built for that. What a 21-year-old isn't equipped for is the harsh reality of transitioning from coddled collegiate athlete to highly expendable product with an expiration date. Amateur athletes are thrust into a world of seasoned men whose livelihoods are contingent upon the performance of these young men.
    Many teams will travel to the Combine seeking the best football players and will fall in love with the best athletes. As fans, all we can do is enjoy the ride and hope our team gets it right.

Like I said, the film doesn't lie

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Re: Don't take the Combine too seriously

Exactly.  Check out this Dorkey looking Future HOF'er.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Who's that stud in the boxers?

He should make babies with supermodels or something...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I didn't see any of the Patriots representatives sitting in the crowd anxiously scribbling on a note pad in either of the first to days of the combine,I think with the Patriots its a matter of game film,interviews and actual practice sessions that will determne who they select. Don't discount the Patriots taking Tebow! He is a football junkie and he competes at everything. His presence in interviews shows just how well he has been prepared at Florida.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Like most I have my own way of judging players , 3 areas for the most part. First "the eye" test , plain and simple , how good are they at their sport. Put a helmet and some pads on and just play. Second , how do you impact the game from your position. I like to use Moss as an example , he commands two defenders from the opposing teams and still makes plays. His skills allows others to perform*cough* Wes Welker*cough* , others can get open and make plays from the space he opens up. Not to mention you get the 3/4 best defenders because the best are lined up over him. Third , your performence and production on the field , stats matter , to me anyway. I like the combine , its not the end all be all , but I do think its useful. I want to know if the backer Im thinkg about taking has tight hips , the turn and run drill can expose that. Yea your not going to bring out the bench after 4 qr's , but power exercises like that and say the clean/press can really help an o-linemens punch on the line of scrimage. I want to know if the DB Im drafting can jump to counter his size. Like I said just use it for what it is. Its funny how so mant on here dont have their own opinons , the new trend on most sports shows is to down play the combine. You can definetely see that carry over here , this site is filled with know nothing morons.

Sections
Shortcuts