Dont take too much stock into the regular season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Dont take too much stock into the regular season

2005 Colts: 

2006 Colts: Lost 3 of last 5 games, had worst rush defense (back when running the ball mattered some)-Won Super Bowl

2007 Patriots: Steam rolled opponents- Lost Super Bowl

2009 Saints: Lose last 3 games-Win Super Bowl

2010 Patriots: Roll off 8 game winning streak, most in dominant fashion and against 5 playoff teams. -Lose divisional Round

2010 Packers: 8-6 at one point, one loss from missing playoffs -Win Super Bowl

2011 Packers: One loss, and pretty much steamrolled through opponents. -Loses Super Bowl

2011 Giants: 4 Game losing streak, horrid pass defense, one loss from missing playoffs-Wins Super Bowl

2005 Colts, and 2006 Chargers are two other teams who steamrolled through the regular season only to be one and done.

2008 Cardinals are an example of a team with an unimpressive regular season record who made the Super Bowl. (Remember that Pats game). Cardinals were also pretty uncompetitive in some of their other losses.

A win is a win, once you get into the playoffs what you did in the regular season does not matter.

The only thing I really look at in the reg season (other than wins) is the QB play. Because, in this era, your Super Bowl aspirations are capped by your QBs potential. Brady has not played great thus far, but we know he's capable of playing great. There was a five game stretch in 2010 (Pitt, Ind, Det, NYJ, CHI) that Brady was just ultra efficient. He's capable of putting on that type of streak in the playoffs, and if he does, the Pats have a good shot.

Best team in the league doesn't always win the Super Bowl. There is just too much parity in the league for that to happen. A good offense can have a bad game, a bad offense can have a good game. Same goes for defense.

So while a lot of us can say this does not look like a Super Bowl team, remember this: There have been teams who have not looked like Super Bowl contenders during the reg season who have won it all. You don't need to look like a Super Bowl team during the regularson season, you just need to play like one for 3 or 4 games in Jan/Feb

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Re: Dont take too much stock into the regular season

Don't forget the 2003 and 2004 Patriots who had the best record in the NFL both years and won the Super Bowl. 

More recently, Steelers in 2008, tied for second best record, won the Super Bowl.

Saints in 2009, best record in the NFC (yes they lost the last three, but they did play Brees in the last one), lost to the Colts who had the best record in the NFL.

If you go season by season, there are as many if not more years were the team that wins the Super Bowl is one of the best teams in the league for most of the season.

Also, 2007 and 2011 are both Patriots teams choking in their biggest game of the year, how is that supposed to make me feel better?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't forget the 2003 and 2004 Patriots who had the best record in the NFL both years and won the Super Bowl. 

More recently, Steelers in 2008, tied for second best record, won the Super Bowl.

Saints in 2009, best record in the NFC (yes they lost the last three, but they did play Brees in the last one), lost to the Colts who had the best record in the NFL.

If you go season by season, there are as many if not more years were the team that wins the Super Bowl is one of the best teams in the league for most of the season.

Also, 2007 and 2011 are both Patriots teams choking in their biggest game of the year, how is that supposed to make me feel better?

[/QUOTE]

Anything can happen

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I agree. I guess my point is that I would rather be one of the better teams going into the plays and hope to keep momentum going than stumble in and hope for it to all to "come together"...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2005 Colts: 

2006 Colts: Lost 3 of last 5 games, had worst rush defense (back when running the ball mattered some)-Won Super Bowl

2010 Patriots: Roll off 8 game winning streak, most in dominant fashion and against 5 playoff teams. -Lose divisional Round

2011 Packers: One loss, and pretty much steamrolled through opponents. -Loses Super Bowl

2011 Giants: 4 Game losing streak, horrid pass defense, one loss from missing playoffs-Wins Super Bowl

2005 Colts, and 2006 Chargers are two other teams who steamrolled through the regular season only to be one and done.

2008 Cardinals are an example of a team with an unimpressive regular season record who made the Super Bowl. (Remember that Pats game). Cardinals were also pretty uncompetitive in some of their other losses.

A win is a win, once you get into the playoffs what you did in the regular season does not matter.

The only thing I really look at in the reg season (other than wins) is the QB play. Because, in this era, your Super Bowl aspirations are capped by your QBs potential. Brady has not played great thus far, but we know he's capable of playing great. There was a five game stretch in 2010 (Pitt, Ind, Det, NYJ, CHI) that Brady was just ultra efficient. He's capable of putting on that type of streak in the playoffs, and if he does, the Pats have a good shot.

Best team in the league doesn't always win the Super Bowl. There is just too much parity in the league for that to happen. A good offense can have a bad game, a bad offense can have a good game. Same goes for defense.

So while a lot of us can say this does not look like a Super Bowl team, remember this: There have been teams who have not looked like Super Bowl contenders during the reg season who have won it all. You don't need to look like a Super Bowl team during the regularson season, you just need to play like one for 3 or 4 games in Jan/Feb

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Last couple of Superbowl winners have looked anything but during the regular season only to peak in the playoffs. Patriots peaked too early last year and the year before and obviously in 2007 as well. It is all about making the playoffs and playing your best from there. I am hoping Josh and BB are holding a few things back and get the team to peak at the right time. The 2003 and 2004 Pats are 1 of the best teams of all time so you probably can't compare what they did and you can't put a team like that out there every year due to the cap etc.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree. I guess my point is that I would rather be one of the better teams going into the plays and hope to keep momentum going than stumble in and hope for it to all to "come together"...

[/QUOTE]

stay healthy, get better during the season, peak during playoffs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

First goal of any team is to make the playoffs.  After that it's anything goes. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Same. But that happened in 2010 and 2011, and the Saints lost 3 in a row before winning it all.

Recent years (GBay and NYG), it's been that one game where they knew they could compete against the best team, (Gbay v NE in 2010 and GB vs NYG in 2011). I would say the same thing, but the 2008 Cardinals got destroyed by a lot of playoff teams/hopefuls during their reg season.

If I were to pick anything I hope to see other than the team winning, I'd probably say a couple of decent games from the secondary. Team that plays best in the playoffs win. If what we're seeing now is the best from this secondary, then this team is in major trouble.

The problem the Pats are having, i'm glad it's happening now rather than later.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2005 Colts: 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, until the point in the playoffs when the problems with your team bubble up, and they find themselves ceremoniously booted from the playoffs, AGAIN, for things that could have, make that SHOULD have been, corrected during regular season play. (Sorry, applying that "young and learning" stuff.)