Don't worry about the D

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlmka. Show mlmka's posts

Don't worry about the D

Believe it or not the Pats were 3rd last year in points against in the AFC. Not too shabby considering such a young unit. You have to think they wil gel into an even better unit. Right? Right?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Don't worry about the D

I agree 100%.  All the young guys have another year of experience, the rookies can help out, we got rid of all the slackers, and haven't gotten worse at any position other than maybe CB.  I'm excited!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I'm not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I need to see a few real games before I get excited or disappointed.  I hate stats.  We might have looked decent against many AFC teams last year, but the only thing that really matters (Lombardi) is determined by how you look against the real good teams.  We'll know soon enough.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Got great experience last year playing against Brees and Manning. Getting torched by Henne and Flacco was good experience as well. This year, they were able to practice against and play against two of the more potent passing offenses.

Nothing to really be afraid of. Of course, there's going to be growing pains but there's nobody I'd rather have at the helm of our defense than Belichick. I have zero doubt that he'll bring the best out of this bunch going forward.

Can't overlook the fact that we're huge underdogs either. There's almost zero pressure on our defense right now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

it was the 4th quarter points against that killed us.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]I need to see a few real games before I get excited or disappointed.  I hate stats.  We might have looked decent against many AFC teams last year, but the only thing that really matters (Lombardi) is determined by how you look against the real good teams.  We'll know soon enough.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]
    I concur. What this D lacked last year were playmakers in crunch time. What does Belichick say after most every loss? "They made more plays than we did."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

In Response to Re: Don't worry about the D:
    [QUOTE]Got great experience last year playing against Brees and Manning. Getting torched by Henne and Flacco was good experience as well. This year, they were able to practice against and play against two of the more potent passing offenses. Nothing to really be afraid of. Of course, there's going to be growing pains but there's nobody I'd rather have at the helm of our defense than Belichick. I have zero doubt that he'll bring the best out of this bunch going forward. Can't overlook the fact that we're huge underdogs either. There's almost zero pressure on our defense right now.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]
    No pressure as in Detroit Lions no pressure?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

I Look @ it this way;

Corners; Addition and subtraction - Butler gained a year of experience and McCourty is a stud but we lost Bodden... Collectively the unit itself is a better unit.

Safety's; Meriweather, Chung, Page and Sanders are much better considering there talent with the addition of Page and the experience of Chung all guided by the the VET Sanders. McGowan was good the first four games last year but he fell off and got replaced by Sanders so he is not a defensive loss to me he is a ST loss more so.

I think this whole DB unit will be used as a source of risky punishment and hopefully they will get to the QB for some pressures and some sacks.

OLB; in flux - even though we appeared to have lost so much - Burgess and Crabel did not work out, we failed to improved on our form from week 17 in 2009, to now week 1 2010, but we have not regressed!!!!!! To be optimistic AD was making the unit worse with his disgruntled attitude, Burgess was playing out of position or learning a new position... Ninkovich was inexperienced, Woods and Crabel failed to impress us......
    This years unit can only improve right, Tully is the go to guy now they will scheme for him rather than AD and Burgess, Ninkovich knows the system and showed promiss in 09, which leads me to my point the system has not improved but it is not any worse BEFORE you ADD Cunningham, IF he is a pleasant surprise the unit will be improved.

DL; If Brace is the man that we saw in brief preseason action then i would say the line has improved!!!!!!!  BUT the depth has been diminished. Braces play was better than the play we got from Green Wright and Pryor last year he may have impacted the 2 and 3rd preseason game enough to call him an upgrade on the 2008 version of Seymour (with our the sacks), nonetheless, he was very impact-full, which leaves Warrens side as the untested side if he can play up to Ty's performance of last year which is not tought than the DL improved.... Lets pray they stay healthy. Wilfork is the best any year fat contract or not!

ILB; biggest improvement along with the Safety's Chung and Page

I think they will get beat deep but they will be a VERY hard hitting team McCourty is a hard hitting corner, Chung and Page got paid to stick, Merriweather can hit, his issue was wrapping up after contact, Mayo and Spikes can hit if the DL protects them.

In addition to the hard hitting faster play from this young unit i suspect there take aways will go up as well because of there aggressive nature.... and there personnel improvement on Nickel and Dime packages.... I say this because our base D and 4:3 has taken a hit in the personnel department but our Nickel and Dime has improved with the additions of Cunningham, McCourty Chung and Page the unit is faster... BB will have to dumb down the system for a while so the young guys can find there niche.

Not for nothing but a true Patriot fan would not diss this team anyways? I fell in love with this team when i was six or seven years old Eason got beat up playing the bears and Flutie came in throwing lasers on the run while i watched in the rain from the nose bleeds @ sullivan stadium Flutie carved up his previous team..... in the rain and of course un televised...

Lets complain about the team when they fail, and they have not failed in a real game yet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]it was the 4th quarter points against that killed us.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Davedsone is dead-on here...  Now, As many here know already, BB plays the "most" original form of the 3-4 Defense as is, "Fairbanks-Bulloughs"-which has really no per se strange schematics (think Pittsburgh, when like a DE will be sent out to cover the flat, an ILB blitzes, and an OLB shifts towards the vacated ILB spot...weird looks designed to confuse), AND much less zone-blitzing (think Dallas with overcrowding by overwhelming 1 side of the O-Line by sending a CB/Safety, an OLB, and a DE and a shifted NT in order to "outman" by sheer numbers 1 side of Offensive Line), AND even somewhat less stunting too (think San Diego with D-Line doing an entire line "shift" 1 way of the O-Line, while the LBs do a line shift the opposite way of the O-Line). 

Fairbanks Bulloughs (NE's 3-4 Defense), IS almost purely a "Bend but Do NOT break Defense."  AS like most ALL 3-4's, you're gonna get less QB and backfield pressure with having 3 D-Lineman (instead of 4 D-Lineman)-AND those D-Lineman playing a more "heads-up", just "occupy multiple gaps and multiple O-Lineman, and not doing 1-gap "spearheading through the holes between any 2 of those Offensive Lineman...

SO, Less backfield pressure, AND having those 4 Linebackers further off the Line of Scrimmage, than having 4 D-Lineman right ON the LOS and only 3 LBs in total, You WILL give up more of those "easy" yards (1, or a couple more yards on short-yardage runs, as that extra LB in a 3-4 has further to get to even meet the ball-carrier, than a 4-3 extra D-Lineman would, who's right there @ the LOS.

So now, WHAT am I gettin' at...?  ANSWER:  It's all about the Defense wearing the Offense down IF you're in a NE 3-4 Bill Belichick Defense...  The Offense, will get frustrated and make a mistake.  OR The Offense, WILL simply wear down against your Defense by sheer long, tiresome drives, for small short yards over and over and over, which come up just short, and/or result in all that pain & wear with merely a field goal here and there.  OR the Offense willl simply come up just short on a set series of 4 downs somewhere, and simply fail to convert a 1st down on one of these series...

~NOW, As has been mentioned, This "Bend but Don't Break Defense" CAN and HAS gotten it done...for some time, AND last year too.  YET (and here's the crux)-When that basic 3-4 Bend-not-Break Defense, Gets TOO "Vanilla", It very often becomes far too easy for an Offense to keep drives alive, not "mess-up", and inevitably score on these drives...

And we've ALL witnessed it:  It IS very, VERY much about 4th Quarter/2nd Half Play-Calling.  When, for instance, each and EVERY play your CBs are not ever playing man-press right up @ the LOS, heck-when your CBs aren't even playing a 5 yard off-man wideout coverage and/or zone, But Jesus-When you have and place your CBs to begin the play 10-12 freakin' YARDS off those wideouts to even begin with, simply not to give up some massive Big-pass play...Good God!You're gonna get torn apart with easy and pathetic and uncontested 6-10 yard completions, 1 right after another, right after another...  Same for NEVER, seemingly "EVER" calling ANY schematic shifting, and/or player/zone blitz, simply to keep the most number of people in front of the Offense in order not to give up the same type of big-play=Eaten apart eventually with an inevitably successful Offensive Score...

WHAT is good about this?  Well, First off-Sheez, I hope BB finally somewhat "recognizes" this "more vanilla" play-calling on an already very much 3-4 Prevent Defense... 
         ~But either way, #1: NOW NE has MORE Youth (think now, less experience, YET far more energy, and RE: NE's D-FAR More ability to wear down and hopefully frustrate an Offense throughout the game, AND have the energy when it matters come 4th quarter).  AND NE has #2: Far Better Secondary-Safeties and ESPECIALLY CBs=With less backfield pass-rushing threat in this basic 3-4 Fairbanks-Bulloughs Defense, I believe Belichick recognized that THIS is a Great Must=Having excellent coverage men @ CB and Safety...  NE's Defense "should" be not simply improved...but "better" than last season.       

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MatildaWanna. Show MatildaWanna's posts

My only concern on the defense is Chung. From waht I witnessed last year he is slow, and had poor tackling skills. Hopefully this will be corrected.

We wont know anything until the games start and we see where these kids hearts and heads are at. If any year could be a Super Bowl year I would say its this one due to the new powers added on the offense to Brady. Lets hope they can put it together.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

BB has his work cut out. Hopefully the defensive unit will surprise everyone and be fast and physical, wouldn't that be great?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]My only concern on the defense is Chung. From waht I witnessed last year he is slow, and had poor tackling skills. Hopefully this will be corrected. We wont know anything until the games start and we see where these kids hearts and heads are at. If any year could be a Super Bowl year I would say its this one due to the new powers added on the offense to Brady. Lets hope they can put it together.
    Posted by MatildaWanna[/QUOTE]

I've heard a ton of things about Patrick Chung, but slow and poor tackling aren't one of them. Chung is faster than both McGowan and Sanders. He was known in college for his tackling. I think you're confusing Wilhite(number 24) with Chung(number 25). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Simple, Belichick doesn't scheme in preseason. Belichick is scheming and working with the defense this year. He'll have this team playing better than what they showed in the preseason. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Here's a  thought, I actually think that Prince Miller will work his way onto the roster by game 6. I originally thought that BB would draft him with one of his late round draft choices.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

We got better right off the bat by getting rid of Dean Pee's.  last year we would have won another 3-4 games if we could have scored in the red zone.. this year we can and will. so There shouldn't really be any huge 4th quarter letdowns again, the other teams are going to have to play the full 60 minutes also...  like Lazs' point, young D has more stamina to wear down the offense, especially if they keep running deep. BUT PLEASE ..... stopping playing sooo far off the line....

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=5ddc99519b8afb16d8d2675bafa0b116&plckUserId=5ddc99519b8afb16d8d2675bafa0b116 " target="_parent" /> MatildaWanna Posts: 45 First: 8/26/2010 Last: 9/8/2010 My only concern on the defense is Chung. From waht I witnessed last year he is slow, and had poor tackling skills. Hopefully this will be corrected. Huh??    I dont get where people keep getting this from...maybe you are confused with Sanders.,..Someone else said CHung misses too many tackles.,...by my count, he hasnt missed one all preseason??    Where do yu guys come up with this stuff....Chung's play may be better than Meriweather this year, in fact I expect that, and thought that he was progressing way faster than Meri, who took 3 years to come into his own
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

To be fair to Meriweather, Meriweather was a SS in the defense when he came into the league. The Pats had number 37 anchoring the SS position. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]Got great experience last year playing against Brees and Manning. Getting torched by Henne and Flacco was good experience as well. This year, they were able to practice against and play against two of the more potent passing offenses. Nothing to really be afraid of. Of course, there's going to be growing pains but there's nobody I'd rather have at the helm of our defense than Belichick. I have zero doubt that he'll bring the best out of this bunch going forward. Can't overlook the fact that we're huge underdogs either. There's almost zero pressure on our defense right now.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

Actually, in the Ravens game we were torched by Ray Rice, his O-Line, and a heap of turnovers by our own offense. If memory serves me right, Flacco only completed 4 passes in the game.

Likewise, my concern for the D this year is the front-7 more than the secondary (although the Bodden loss is a bummer). Stoutness at the point of attack and edge is what will determine how far this Pats team goes this year.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I don't care how many yards they allow, or how many 3rd down conversions they allow: well, OK, I do care about those things, BUT, the biggest thing that needs to improve is their ability to force turnovers. They picked-off more passes last year than they had since Samuel was here and in his prime, but all in all, the one big difference between this defense and the Super Bowl D's was/is the ability to break the offense's back with turnovers. It seemed as though whenever the championship teams needed a turnover in a key situation, they forced one, either with an INT or with a jarring hit that caused a fumble (remember all the way back to 2001 when Tebucky Jones slammed Lamar Smith and popped the ball loose at the 4-yard line with the Dolphins about to pull to within 3 points in that big December game?).

Force more fumbles and pick-off more passes, that's the ticket to success defensively. Turnover differential is one of the biggest defensive stats there is. It's more important than sacks, yards allowed--almost anything except actual points allowed.