Donte HIghtower and Courtney Upshaw OLB ALABAMA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nathan-ndeira. Show nathan-ndeira's posts

Donte HIghtower and Courtney Upshaw OLB ALABAMA

To me i think BB has been waiting for these 2 guys, Upshaw is a more pure OLB but can play with his hand on the ground, he's not a conversion type and is a perfect 3-4 OLB for BB system. He plays in Nick sabans defence is starting to move up draft boards for 2012. Upshaw is 6'2 260lbs, great in setting the edge and can drop back in coverage while also be able to apply consistent pressure from the edge, in this video you see him cause the qb to move out of the pocket disrupting his intentions, THATS WHAT WE NEED ON 3rd down!!Courtney Upshaw was a force in his first year as a starter in 2010 ... developed into one of the Tide's most explosive pass rushers ... has played in 40 career games, making 12 starts at jack linebacker ... has 89 career tackles with 18.5 tackles for loss, eight sacks and four forced fumbles ... could contend for All-SEC and All-America honors as a senior in 2011 ... won the Sylvester Croom Commitment to Excellence Award in the spring of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq_NvKwNtsw&feature=related

Dont'a Hightower returns for his fourth season in Tuscaloosa after bypassing the NFL Draft for another season at the helm of the Tide defense in 2011 ... emerged as one of the stars of the 2008 freshman class, but a knee injury in the fourth game of the 2009 season ended his sophomore campaign ... granted a medical redshirt after knee injury in 2009 will be a junior in 2011 ... a physically imposing linebacker with great speed and a nose for the football ... has made 29 starts at linebacker while playing in 31 games ... has 149 career tackles with 10.0 tackles for loss, one sack and 17 quarterback hurries ... in 2008, earned first-team Freshman All-America honors by the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) and was a second-team Freshman All-American by Sporting News ... earned Freshman All-SEC recognition by Southeastern Conference coaches ... selected for the team's Defensive Achievement Award, which goes to the underclassman who has played a critical role in the effectiveness of his unit ... was one of 11 true freshmen to start a season opener since 1972 and one of 16 true freshmen on the 2008 team to see playing time ... added the jack linebacker position to his arsenal in 2009 and provided the Tide with a more effective third down pass rush ... won the Mal Moore Leadership Award following spring practice in 2010 ... in the spring of 2011, he won the Lee Roy Jordan Headhunter Award.http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hightower_donta01.html
    Hightower is a beast at 6'4 260, is very agile and has great quickness.
    watch the video and look what he does the the florida gators lineman, watch how explosive he is in such a short area.

I know we have youth on the inside but trust me we have 2 firsts and 2 seconds next year and i think getting both these guys plus another stud OL would be insanely good!, imagine what BB could turn both these guys into, they would be truned into pass rushing machines!!! remember you can never have too many pass rushers and too LB's so BB please draft these guys, Nick saban wants you to draft them as a Christmas present. We got presents from Meyer last year, now time to get some beastly awesome presents from Saban :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Donte HIghtower and Courtney Upshaw OLB ALABAMA

Good finds. I haven't even started my search into next years draft class, minus a couple of guys, but they look good. However, we have the Saints #1 and the Pats #1 which means we're looking back of the 1st. Upshaw has the potential to work himself into the teens if not top 10. With BB at least 1 of those 1st's will be traded back into the 2nd and for future picks. I will have a heart attack if BB trades up to get a OLB.

Hightower though might go in the 3rd which is one of BB's favorite places to pick (even though we haven't seen production from 3rd picks yet).

But we'll have to watch the season and see where they might end up. Good finds though.

Also keep an eye on Devin Taylor. The kid is 6'7" 250 with room to add more weight. This kid could be interesting mainly because of his height but also because he just can play football period.

Vinny Curry and Cam Johnson are also a couple names to watch

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Here's my early watch list for the offensive side of the ball for the 2011 CFB season:

Caveats:

QB:  I tried to list players that I think will eventually fall outside of Rd 1, which is a huge guessing game at this point.  Weeden is intriguing, but the kid will be 28 this season, 29 his rookie year in the NFL.

WR:  I didn't list the players that could end up in the first part of Rd 1. Blackmon Jeffrey and Jeff Fuller look like elite, top 10 type talents at this point.

RB:  I tried to list RB's at 210 or higher, Doug Martin looks the most intriguing undersized back to me.  On the subject of undersized backs, another kid to keep an eye on is Jeffrey Demps out of Florida.  He's listed at 5-8 190, but could be a 4.2 kid.

Offense:

QB:

John Brantley (6-3 220)- Florida

Kirk Cousins (6-3 205)- Michigan State

Ryan Tannehill (6-4 220)- Texas A&M

RB:

Davin Meggett (5-9 215)- Maryland

*Trent Richardson (5-11 220)- Alabama

*Knile Davis (6-0 220)- Arkansas

*Montee Ball (5-11 236)- Wisconsin

Mark Tyler (5-11 228)- USC

Brandon Bolden (5-11 215) Ole Miss

WR:

Ryan Broyles (5-11 185)- Oklahoma

Marquis Maze (5-10 182)- Alabama

Damaris Johnson (5-8 172)- Tulsa

Marvin McNutt (6-4 215)- Iowa

*Russell Shepard (6-0 188)- LSU

*Mohamed Sanu (6-2 218- Rutgers

+Michael Floyd (6-3 220)- ND

OG:

*Barrett Jones (6-4 301)- Alabama

*David DeCastro (6-5 312)- Stanford

Kevin Zeitler (6-4 315)- Wisconsin

C:

Mike Brewster (6-5 295)- Ohio State

Ben Jones (6-3 300)- Georgia

*Peter Konz (6-5 313)- Wisconsin

I like Janoris Jenkins as much as anyone, but he has an issue with drugs that needs to be cleaned up.  I read yesterday that he could be transferring to a DII school (North Alabama) I believe vs. entering the Supplemental Draft.  Either way, I think he has shut down ability and is a top 15 talent.  Like the offense, I can add him in, but will give him the character red flag mark.  I'm also not sure they'd touch him in Rd 1 with these red flags.

Defense:

DB:

*Robert Lester (6-2 200) – S- Alabama

Mark Barron (6-2 210) - S- Alabama

*Ray Ray Armstrong (6-4 220) - SS- Miami

Kenny Tate (6-4 220) – S/LB- Maryland

Brandon Boykin (5-10 184) – CB- Georgia

Chase Minnifield (6-0 185) – CB- Virginia

+Janoris Jenkins (5-11 180) - CB- Florida

DL:

Jared Crick (6-6 285) – DL- Nebraska

*Baker Steinkuhler (6-6 290) – DL- Nebraska

Kendall Reyes (6-4 298) – DL- UConn

Kheeston Randall (6-5 295) – DL- Texas

Billy Winn (6-4 295) - DL- Boise State

Ryan Van Bergen (6-6 283) - DL - Michigan

LB:

Vinny Curry (6-4 260) - DE/OLB- Marshall

Jake Bequette (6-5 270) - DE/OLB- Arkansas

Devin Taylor (6-6 250) – DE/OLB- South Carolina

Vince Browne (6-5 265) - DE/OLB- Northwestern

Courtney Upshaw (6-2 263) - ILB- Alabama

*Donte Hightower (6-4 258) – ILB- Alabama

Chris Galippo (6-2 250) - ILB- USC

*Manti Te’o (6-2 245) – ILB- ND

*Luke Keuchly (6-2 235) – ILB- BC

+Denotes Character Red Flags

*Denotes Underclassmen

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

MB - good list. It's almost about time for me to sit down and put my list together of players to watch. Trouble being I moved into my GF's house this summer so that might hinder my college game watching (although now that I don't have to take her out every Sat it might improve it).

I think we need a 12' draft thread to get things going

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Donte HIghtower and Courtney Upshaw OLB ALABAMA:
    MB - good list. It's almost about time for me to sit down and put my list together of players to watch. Trouble being I moved into my GF's house this summer so that might hinder my college game watching (although now that I don't have to take her out every Sat it might improve it). I think we need a 12' draft thread to get things going
    Posted by PatsEng

Ha, well hopefully you're able to watch your fair share of games.  I'll kick off the 2012 draft threat at or before week 1 of the college season, can't wait!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Let me help you avoid disappointment now. The Pats wont take a pass rusher in the first round next year and maybe not in the second round either. So babe start your b*tching now LOL and all you other fans can start your b*tching as well. maybe this way next year after he again does not take a pass rusher in round 1 or 2 we can avoid the forum being flooded by the "sky is falling" threads that always follow day 1 of the draft. Just saying....
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I try not to get too wrapped up in the "sky is falling" threads. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In Response to Donte HIghtower and Courtney Upshaw OLB ALABAMA:
    To me i think BB has been waiting for these 2 guys, Upshaw is a more pure OLB but can play with his hand on the ground, he's not a conversion type and is a perfect 3-4 OLB for BB system. He plays in Nick sabans defence is starting to move up draft boards for 2012. Upshaw is 6'2 260lbs, great in setting the edge and can drop back in coverage while also be able to apply consistent pressure from the edge, in this video you see him cause the qb to move out of the pocket disrupting his intentions, THATS WHAT WE NEED ON 3rd down!! Courtney Upshaw was a force in his first year as a starter in 2010 ... developed into one of the Tide's most explosive pass rushers ... has played in 40 career games, making 12 starts at jack linebacker ... has 89 career tackles with 18.5 tackles for loss, eight sacks and four forced fumbles ... could contend for All-SEC and All-America honors as a senior in 2011 ... won the Sylvester Croom Commitment to Excellence Award in the spring of  2011 http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/upshaw_courtney00.html http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq_NvKwNtsw&feature=related Dont'a Hightower returns for his fourth season in Tuscaloosa after bypassing the NFL Draft for another season at the helm of the Tide defense in 2011 ... emerged as one of the stars of the 2008 freshman class, but a knee injury in the fourth game of the 2009 season ended his sophomore campaign ... granted a medical redshirt after knee injury in 2009 will be a junior in 2011 ... a physically imposing linebacker with great speed and a nose for the football ... has made 29 starts at linebacker while playing in 31 games ... has 149 career tackles with 10.0 tackles for loss, one sack and 17 quarterback hurries ... in 2008, earned first-team Freshman All-America honors by the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) and was a second-team Freshman All-American by Sporting News ... earned Freshman All-SEC recognition by Southeastern Conference coaches ... selected for the team's Defensive Achievement Award, which goes to the underclassman who has played a critical role in the effectiveness of his unit ... was one of 11 true freshmen to start a season opener since 1972 and one of 16 true freshmen on the 2008 team to see playing time ... added the jack linebacker position to his arsenal in 2009 and provided the Tide with a more effective third down pass rush ... won the Mal Moore Leadership Award following spring practice in 2010 ... in the spring of 2011, he won the Lee Roy Jordan Headhunter Award. http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hightower_donta01.html Hightower is a beast at 6'4 260, is very agile and has great quickness. watch the video and look what he does the the florida gators lineman, watch how explosive he is in such a short area. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAzvrSZ3_8E   I know we have youth on the inside but trust me we have 2 firsts and 2 seconds next year and i think getting both these guys plus another stud OL would be insanely good!, imagine what BB could turn both these guys into, they would be truned into pass rushing machines!!! remember you can never have too many pass rushers and too LB's so BB please draft these guys, Nick saban wants you to draft them as a Christmas present. We got presents from Meyer last year, now time to get some beastly awesome presents from Saban :)
    Posted by nathan-ndeira

i really like what i see in upshaw however he doesn't meet the height requirement that BB has on OLB, maybe he will make an exception but i would hold my breath on it.  Hightower looks very good but will he be in range of our picks? the saints and us? those sound like pretty low picks in the 1st round if you ask me.  i would love to have him.  I do think  BB will select a center high in this years draft to replace koppen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Good finds. I haven't even started my search into next years draft class, minus a couple of guys, but they look good. However, we have the Saints #1 and the Pats #1 which means we're looking back of the 1st. Upshaw has the potential to work himself into the teens if not top 10. With BB at least 1 of those 1st's will be traded back into the 2nd and for future picks. I will have a heart attack if BB trades up to get a OLB. Hightower though might go in the 3rd which is one of BB's favorite places to pick (even though we haven't seen production from 3rd picks yet). But we'll have to watch the season and see where they might end up. Good finds though. Also keep an eye on Devin Taylor. The kid is 6'7" 250 with room to add more weight. This kid could be interesting mainly because of his height but also because he just can play football period. Vinny Curry and Cam Johnson are also a couple names to watch
    Posted by PatsEng

Devin Taylor looks like a great prospect but from what i can tell he is  projected to go in the high first round  but he looks very good!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Let me help you avoid disappointment now. The Pats wont take a pass rusher in the first round next year and maybe not in the second round either. So babe start your b*tching now LOL and all you other fans can start your b*tching as well. maybe this way next year after he again does not take a pass rusher in round 1 or 2 we can avoid the forum being flooded by the "sky is falling" threads that always follow day 1 of the draft. Just saying....
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

OMG they aren't going to take a pass rusher in the first 2 rounds in 12'? The 12' draft is the worst draft ever. Seriously what are they thinking.

On a serious note, MVP give people a break. For the last 3 seasons now we've all known that one of our biggest weaknesses was our pass rush. Everyone got excited about certain pass rushers (and some of them have not performed while others have become elite rushers). To watch a draft and realize that the biggest perceived need wasn't addressed people need a place to vent so the "sky is falling" threads don't really bother me. But, if they don't sign a pass rusher when FA finally happens and the pass rush stinks for the 4th year in a row then everyone might have a point that BB might be to smart for his own good in not drafting a pass rusher early. Of course they could sign Lawson, Roth, or someone we never heard of or the young OLB's suddenly click and the pass rush comes alive and we'll have people coming here proclaiming that everyone who was worried is a fool to question why it took so long to fix the pass rushing problem when BB obviously had a plan. It's a double edge sword and frankly my balls hurt trying to straddle it

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Actually I think a number of people here were looking at Cunningham throughout that year and had him listed as a person of interest (myself included). For us it's fun. We see that pass rush is an issue, as you obviously do to, so we like to concentrate our focus to area's that need to be addressed. This past college season it was pass rush, WR, rushing, and OL and for the most part that's what BB addressed (though Ras was a bit of a shock. I was sure he wouldn't go DB early this year). Being so early and not seeing anyone on the field yet we still know pass rush wasn't addressed yet, and they still need some extra youth on OL, as well as maybe some wr help. So until the season gets going that's were most of our focus will be. I mean it's more fun then checking out QB's, TE's, ILB's, or DT's knowing that we are set in those positions. Let people have their fun throughout the year and if they don't draft a pass rusher again next year let people vent (provided pass rush is an issue again this year). That's part of being a fan. Seeing a problem in your team and looking for ways to fix it. Of course if this was the 1st year of having a pass rush issue or if FA happened before the draft this year and the picked up a Roth or Lawson then you're completely right but until then let people enjoy trying to fix a known issue on the forums even though in the end, you are most likely right and BB won't go pass rusher again next year

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I know we shouldn't get our hopes up or get upset MVP but it's kind of like being at lunch in grade school for pizza day and being in the back of the line. You know that there won't be enough pizza and you'll get screwed but the closer to come to the lunch lady and you start smelling it then to be told that the last pizza went to the kid in front of you. You knew it was going to happen but for that short moment you held out hope there was a couple slices left only to just miss out then you have to vent a little. It's human nature. Again I wouldn't get upset by the instant reaction people have, however and this is a big one, I think you are more then right about those people who won't let it go after a couple days or even months after the fact.

As for Cunningham yes it's early but that's the fun part of MB's thread last year. As we saw players play and the team evolve so did the draft thread. It was an ever evolving thread which followed the team and focusing on the needs at the time. Again if Roth or Lawson get signed and the pass rush improves I think you'll see the focus shift to other players in different areas but for right now since we are in the middle of the summer it seems that our biggest current needs are WR and OLB's. Of course that could change as the games are played.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

My thinking on Ingram was there were other backs in the draft that could deliver the same production in later rounds.  Vereen being one of them.  I'm sure Ingram will have a fine career as a pro but there are others that got pick later that will do the same.  Ingram's knee is a concern to me and I was happy the Pats passed on him.

I was expecting the 28th pick to be traded but didn't think it would be to a winner like N.O..  The only reason to do it would be that the feeling is the draft is a deeper one than 2011's. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

it will be interesting to see what BB turns NO's pick into next season. trades it back for another 1st and 2nd?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i hope your first prediction is right, it is very possible. the falcons are a very good team and the bucs are definiately up and coming.  so who knows! maybe brees will have a bad season, ingram will be a bust, and vilma won't be able to stop anyone?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Donte HIghtower and Courtney Upshaw OLB ALABAMA : You know, I am really starting to think that what turned out to be Vereen and NO's 1st rd pick in 2012 for essentially Mark Ingram, was another genius move. If Vereen is remotely near what Ingram does in the NFL, it will be considered another Belichick fleece job. Imagine if Ingram's knee gives him problems out of the gate?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

If Vereen turns out to have a similiar career to Ingram then no matter who we get with NO's #1 next year it was a good trade but on the flip side if Ingram's knee is fine and Ingram proves to be a top 15 back (like once thought) and Vereen turns into a 3rd round back (like where most placed him) and they end up with a decent pick but not a pro-bowler with NO's #1 then it will be a bust of a trade. BB however has made some pretty good late 2nd round picks and generally wins on all his pick trades so I have faith it will be closer to what envisioned but unless Ingram's knee blows out I don't think Vereen will nearly have the career Ingram will have but I'm hoping Vereen can be a 800-1200 yrd a year guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

Like Hightower but the guy I think Belichick really likes is Jared Crick from Nebraska and Brandon Jenkins from Florida State..60maxpowero.com 

Sections
Shortcuts