Donte Stallworth gets 30 days in jail for accident

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Donte Stallworth gets 30 days in jail for accident

From espn.com:

MIAMI -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth was sentenced to serve 30 days in jail after pleading guilty in Florida to a DUI manslaughter charge.

The plea deal announced Tuesday calls for the 28-year-old Stallworth to also serve 10 years' probation and perform 1,000 community service hours for hitting and killing 59-year-old construction worker Mario Reyes with his car. Stallworth had faced up to 15 years in prison.

Stallworth also reached a confidential financial settlement with the Reyes' family. A person close to the negotiations told The Association Press about the agreement on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk about the deal.

The person said the agreement will avoid a potential wrongful death lawsuit from Reyes' family.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Re: Donte Stallworth gets 30 days in jail for accident

[QUOTE]From espn.com: MIAMI -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth was sentenced to serve 30 days in jail after pleading guilty in Florida to a DUI manslaughter charge. The plea deal announced Tuesday calls for the 28-year-old Stallworth to also serve 10 years' probation and perform 1,000 community service hours for hitting and killing 59-year-old construction worker Mario Reyes with his car. Stallworth had faced up to 15 years in prison. Stallworth also reached a confidential financial settlement with the Reyes' family. A person close to the negotiations told The Association Press about the agreement on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk about the deal. The person said the agreement will avoid a potential wrongful death lawsuit from Reyes' family.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]
    So remember boys and girls, if you're driving drunk and about to run over a pedestrian, be sure to honk your horn and flash your lights before you kill him!! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

This is upsetting, the guy killed a human being and he gets 30 days in jail? You get 30 days in jail for missing a court date when they issue a bench warrant and its a slap on the wrist. I thought he would be doing some real time but instead he agreed to pay the family off and get off light what a joke. So remember kids it is ok to get drunk and kill someone while driving drunk so long as you have money and talent. if you dont have either then you are going to jail so you better start singing ot dancing or playing sports now if you like to booze it up. What a joke.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

There were rumors of this for the past few months. The  thing in Stallworth's favor was that the 59 year old was jaywalking. I know, pitiful excuse, but legal- "If he wasn't crossing illegally, then I never would have hit him".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

[QUOTE]This is upsetting, the guy killed a human being and he gets 30 days in jail? You get 30 days in jail for missing a court date when they issue a bench warrant and its a slap on the wrist. I thought he would be doing some real time but instead he agreed to pay the family off and get off light what a joke. So remember kids it is ok to get drunk and kill someone while driving drunk so long as you have money and talent. if you dont have either then you are going to jail so you better start singing ot dancing or playing sports now if you like to booze it up. What a joke.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

It's very upsetting, but this is the celebrity culture that has been created in America. We live in a country where more people care about the latest celebrity gossip than religion. Some people obsess over celebrities more than their OWN LIFE. For the record, Charles Barkley got ten days in jail and fined $2,000 for driving drunk. So for killing a man, Donte gets an extra 20 days in jail? There wouldn't be many people left in this world if we all got that lenient of a penalty for murdering someone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

[QUOTE]... There wouldn't be many people left in this world if we all got that lenient of a penalty for murdering someone.
    Posted by Dead54[/QUOTE]

WHOA!!!!!!  Calling it murder requires there be some intent!  Since Donte didn't know Mr. Reyes before the incident, how can you call it murder?  Vehicular manslaughter maybe, but not murder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I'm a little suprised at the level of shock -- SHOCK!!! -- over this slap on the wrist. If it comes as news to anyone that money speaks clearly while you and I would mumble incoherently off to jail, here are some other things you may find mildly amazing.

Water is wet.
    The sky is often blue.
    Politicians sometimes stretch the truth.
    The check isn't really in the mail and . . .

That isn't love.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

347 do you need to harp on every little thing always? What does it matter if he said murder or manslaghter? seriously stop being such a stickler. All that matters is Stallworth made a selfish choice and put other peoples lives at risk when he got in the car to drive home drunk and because of this a man is dead before his time and Stallworth is to blame. Murder or not 30 days in jail for killing a person is a joke and it makes me sick to live in a country where this kind of thing happens. In Mexico, I heard as a kid that if a man r apes a women in Mexico that he only has to spend a night in jail and pay a fine and what would most Americans say about something like that? or where would they rank themselves over mexicans? Most American would look down on Mexico for such a thing (if true) but right here in America you can kill a man and clearly be guilty of doing so but get off with a slap on the wrist as long as you have money and talent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Never confuse justice with the law.

They are often mutually exclusive terms.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

[QUOTE]WHOA!!!!!!  Calling it murder requires there be some intent!  Since Donte didn't know Mr. Reyes before the incident, how can you call it murder?  Vehicular manslaughter maybe, but not murder.
    Posted by 347pg[/QUOTE]

Manslaughter and murder are both someone dying at the hands of someone else. that is the only thing that truly matters. Near where I live, a little kid accidentally shot his sister in the face and she died. This little boy was charged with murder, I believe. He didn't purposely shoot her in the face. He accidentally pulled the trigger on "Grampa's gun" that he found. If this is murder, why isn't running someone over?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

The real crime here is Stallworth getting away with murder, I mean manslaughter.  But seriously, this country is really f*d up if $h!t like this can go down.  This country needs serious change, and not the kind that prickk in D.C. is preaching.  People need to get off their arses and stop gobbling up every piece of tripe the media broadcasts at them. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

[QUOTE]The real crime here is Stallworth getting away with murder, I mean manslaughter.  But seriously, this country is really f*d up if $h!t like this can go down.  This country needs serious change, and not the kind that prickk in D.C. is preaching.  People need to get off their arses and stop gobbling up every piece of tripe the media broadcasts at them. 
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

So sadly true...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from otto101. Show otto101's posts

Think about this.  two heinous crimes committed.  One guy kills dogs and goes to jail for almost 2 years.  The other guy kills a person and goes for 30 days.  I don't quite get the logic here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Ok Killa, I'll stop being such a stickler, but there actually is a difference which the law recognizes.  And I'd have to see a link to the kid that Dead54 is referring to, to believe it.  If the kid accidentally shot his sister, the DA will never be able to prove murder, especially if the kid is underage. 

And I'm not defending Stallworth at all. What he did was awful.  However, if the alternative was that Stallworth goes to jail for 15 years and the family gets nothing but the satisfaction of watching him rot, then I think them getting an undisclosed settlement in lieu of a wrongful death lawsuit is better.  Not saying it's the best, but it's probably the best they could hope for in an imperfect justice system.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I do not agree, if someone hit my father with a car while drunk and killed him I would want to see that man put in jail for 15 years, he can keep his money I would want my father back not his money but then again I wouldnt call myself the average stupid greedy american and for all i know these people saw the money signs and cashed in quick. Whether that is the case or not 30 days in jail for taking a human life is a joke. Vick killed dogs and got more then that.

I know there is a difference between manslaghter and murder i was just saying you dont need to jump on every little thing you know? Its just not worth it, you knew what they were trying to say there was no need to correct them thats all i was saying.

As for the little kid I think I have actually heard of this story but I thought it was his brother he shot in the face not his sister, i am not sure but either way he shot someone he loved in teh face by mistake and he was charged as an adult and sent to jail. I read about it on CNN.com in a story about how too many kids are being charged as adults now adays. I dont have a link but i didnt hear that same story so he might not have been lying about it.

In the end I guess what we are all mad about is teh fact that if anyone of us had made the same mistake Stallworth made we would be in jail for 15 years no question btu because he had the money to throw at the family the courts took it easy on him and that is just not right. We should all be judged equally in the eyes of lady justice and how much money you have should not come into play at all but its not like this the first time this kind of thing has happened but just because it happens all the time does not mean we should be any less outraged by it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from loyalpat. Show loyalpat's posts

I certainly wouldnt want anyone to spend needless time in any jail, but if I hear any PETA or anyone whning about how Vick should not be reinstated I will be pissed. We are in America, where a pitbull is more important than a person. Vick loses his career, his money,his endorsements, gets suspended, and served two years in jail, but someone who drives drunk and kills a human qualifies for 30 days in jail. The loser judge who sentenced Vick should be sent to Guantanamo along with all the PETA imbeciles. Vick should be reinstated and should be left alone. Its ok to drive drunk as long as you are a celebrity or a star, just dont kill pitbulls after all pitbulls have familes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

[QUOTE]There were rumors of this for the past few months. The  thing in Stallworth's favor was that the 59 year old was jaywalking. I know, pitiful excuse, but legal- "If he wasn't crossing illegally, then I never would have hit him".
    Posted by RedsGhost[/QUOTE]

It's not really pitiful when you think about it. The jaywalking law was put in palce to prevent this from happening whether a driver be under the influence or not.  IT's a messed up society where people are makign judgments on who should be at fault like this.  Consider this

1) The accident could still have happened if Stallworth was sober and drinking vitamin water

2) The accident could not have happened if the guy wasn't in the street.

You know how many times I've had people run out from between parked cars and almost hit them ? I'd hate to think that I'd ever be blamed when someone does something like that. As for 'he killed am an and all he got is 30 days'... soldiers kill people all the time and receive no jail sentences.  The fact that someone died is tragic but that shouldn't overwhelm all reason.

I mena if someone punches a person and that person happens to be so hardy and muscular that it does no damage, does that make it any more or less bad than if the victim had a glassjaw and wound up in the hospital ?  

They had to charge him with a certain crime based on the circumstances but you could easily argue that if the guy wasn't crossing where he did he might only have broken a toe or something.  Maybe Stallworth in whatever condition he was in was still stopping politely at crosswalks and this guy ran out in front of him as he was cruising down the street like any other person. The guy's actions are as much if not more to blame for the consequence of the collision and that has to be taken into account.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

I guess by some people's reasoning if I had an empty pool in my backyard and put up a sign saying stay out-empty pool, it would be my fault if someone walked in my yard and dove headfirst into the concrete.  It's funny but the law might even say the same thing depending on what backwards area you live in.

and while we're at it .. why do people excuse the slow reaction times and senility of old people ? This guy was dumb enough to walk into the street illegally and had bad enough reflexes not to be avoid getting hit by a car. Was he that blind ?

Age impairs a person as much if not more than alcohol. I'd take Stallworth's reaction time after 4 beers over the old guy's reaction time any day of the week. We live in a country where peopel do jail time for driving drunk but we let 70 year olds who swerve across center lines and slam their brakes on still drive.  The only difference is that the drunk person sobers up, the old person ain't getting any younger.  As long as states don't routinely check the driving ability of seniors then all drunk-driving laws will continue to be a joke.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The fact that he was driving drunk 100% is part of this, if he was was not drunk then he would have been in the right for teh accident but he was not sober he was drunk and a man is dead and it is that simple. You are right if he was not in the street he would still be alive but that does not excuse Stallworth from driving drunk and killing someone. He got 30 days for killing a man and that is not teh way it shoudl work.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

[QUOTE]The fact that he was driving drunk 100% is part of this, if he was was not drunk then he would have been in the right for teh accident but he was not sober he was drunk and a man is dead and it is that simple. You are right if he was not in the street he would still be alive but that does not excuse Stallworth from driving drunk and killing someone. He got 30 days for killing a man and that is not teh way it shoudl work.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

but see there's my point. You can't say that his consumption played any part in it because you don't know. You can only say he was over the limit. You can't for certain say that if we took a sober person in the same situation they wouldn't also hit the guy. You are making a biased assumption that a sober person would not.  If I discharge a rifle at some cans in my backyard and you jump in front of the gun as I fire, am I a murderer? If I had 2 beers and you did the same hting would I be more of a murderer  or would it still be your fault for committing suicide? 3 beers? 4 beers?

Being drunk does not mean being blind. If I had 5 beers I probably wouldn't win at darts but I'm not going to walk into walls either.  The law apparently is being interpreted that his crime was 'worse' than the guys but both committed crimes. I can definitely say if the guy wasn't in the street he wouldn't have gotten hit in the situation. You CANNOT say that he wouldn't have if Stallworth was stone sober.  It's kinda hard to deny those 2 facts.

Again for the 'killing a man' and how it needs a big penalty.. I would submit there are many opportunities where a person kills another person and there should be NO jailtime.

f 2 people are lifting a fridge and ti slips and one is crushed, should the other one do time for manslaughter?

If I'm driving sober and skid out on wet roads (or a deer runs in front of the car) into a tree and my passenger dies should I be charged with manslaughter?

If I empty my poool and some person trespasses into my yard, ignores the sign saying empty pool, jumps in and dies... should I be charged with manslaughter?

If  a person is standing on a curbing and loses their balance falling in front of a taxi, should the taxi driver be charged with manslaughter?

IF a person over the limit is driving on a country road behaving perfectly nad staying in their lane when a 70 year old senile person swerves into their lane for no reason  and hits them headon, the old person dies... should the person who had been drinking be charged with manslaughter?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

"I certainly wouldnt want anyone to spend needless time in any jail, but if I hear any PETA or anyone whning about how Vick should not be reinstated I will be pissed. We are in America, where a pitbull is more important than a person. Vick loses his career, his money,his endorsements, gets suspended, and served two years in jail, but someone who drives drunk and kills a human qualifies for 30 days in jail. The loser judge who sentenced Vick should be sent to Guantanamo along with all the PETA imbeciles. Vick should be reinstated and should be left alone. Its ok to drive drunk as long as you are a celebrity or a star, just dont kill pitbulls after all pitbulls have familes." - loyalpat

Needless time? He killed a person and he needs to be sent to jail like any one of us would be, its not needless time in jail. If i killed someone in teh same way he did I would be sent away for 10 to 15 years so why is he any different?

I agree that it is re tarded that Vick went to jail for 18 months (not 2 years) and Stallworth only got 30 days but I do not agree with on everything you said. For one Mike Vick was the head of a criminal enterprise, he funded Bad Newz Cennals and thats why he was sent away for 18 months. Not for killing a dog or two dogs but for giving people the means to kill and torture as many dogs as they could so that people could gamble on it. Stallworth killed a guy and should be sent away for more then 30 days we agree on that but Stallworth did not however fund a criminal enterprise so he is not in the same boat as Vick. Vick lost his career, his money, his endorsments, gets suspended, and was sent away for 18 months in jail...and he deserved every bit of what happened to him the same way Stallworth deserved to go to jail for 15 years. You are trying to give Vick a free pass and its sick, he funded a criminal enterprise and you act like oh the judge who put him away should be killed...are you sane? The judge sent him to jail because he deserved to go to jail. And the PETA people should all be sent away huh? So in your mind Vick should be allowed to do whatever he wants but the good people who dedicate their lives to helping animals of all shapes and sizes should be locked up? Seriously? Where did you get this logic? I agree that is is backwards that Stallworth got 30 days for killing a person but Vick got what he got in jail time for being the head of a criminal enterprise not just for killing a pitbull the way you suggest. Its not ok to kill pitbulls and it is not ok to kill people it is not ok to kill inocent humans or animals what so ever and neither Vick or Stallworth should ever being allowed back into the NFL. Vick should be banned and so should Stallworth.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

If teh guy who droped the fridge was stone drunk on the job and droped the fridge killing his co worker then yes he should be charged. If he was not drunk he wouldnt have put his friend in that situation. That is the way some people might look at it. I think it is called negligent homocide, he didnt mean to kill his friend or get his friend killed but he did and thats all that matters. If I am drunk and pulling a Piano up to the top floor of a building and a guy walks under me and i slip and drop the Piano and it falls and kills the man I am 100% at fault because i was drunk when i droped the piano and i put myself in that situation. It doesnt matter that the dumb guy walked under a piano all that matters is i was drunk and i made a mistake and a man died. negligent homocide.

"If I'm driving sober and skid out on wet roads (or a deer runs in front of the car) into a tree and my passenger dies should I be charged with manslaughter?"

If you were driving over the speed limit on wet roads and the car lost control and your passenger died that too could fall into the negligent homocide side of things. If a DA wants to put you in jail he will find a way to do so, all he would have to say is 'if you ahd been driving teh speed limit your car would not have lost control and your friend would still be alive' and that would be enough to charge you with something.

And in your last example, if a 70 year old person came into your lane and you crashed and the 70 year old died and you had been driving drunk whether it was your fault or not you are going to jail. All the DA has to say is maybe if you were not drunk you would have had that extra 1 or 2 seconds to process what was happening and maybe you could have saved both your lives but because you were drunk you will never know and thats why you would go to jail. If you drive drunk and person dies its your fault and that is that. i dont care if teh 70 year old hit you, you were drunk and that is what will matter when the cops get there. the answer? dont drive drunk and you dont have this issue.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Oh man, I think this thread is about to take offf like the Dungy thread!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

“you're right .. we should sentence all American soldiers to lengthy prison terms unless they can prove that the enemy troop shot at them first. Oh wait .. those are extenuating circumstances.....  like this.”   Are you drunk right now? That is not the same thing what so ever. First of all if a soldier kills an innocent civilian while being drunk he should be sent to jail and he would be sent to jail. If a soldier kills a man in combat, kills another soldier its war not murder. If I was at war and I got drunk and during my rounds I heard a sound and got jumpy and opened fire only to find out that I shot a 59 year old man cross the street on his way home from work then yes I should be sent to jail. Like the American soldier who r aped the girl in Iraq, he was just sent to jail for what he did and he should have been sent to jail because it’s not ok to r ape anyone ever for any reason. We don’t send troops over to war so they can get drunk and make mistakes so if they do they should be charged with a crime. Now if a sober soldier killed an innocent civilian by mistake that is different because he was not impaired he just made a horrible mistake. Him being drunk would be the X factor.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

mvpkilla my poitn was that they are all examples of accidents. And my question was whether YOU thought those peopel should spend 15 years in jail.  Cause if YOU don't then I don't see why YOU have such a hard time with Stallworth's sentence.

His sentence is essentially drunk driving not manslaughter which is how it should be. 

He is punished for what he did wrong which was drive drunk, he's not being punished for the guy that ran in front of his car while jaywalking..... that was not his fault.  Both did something illegal and we should excuse the 59 year old guy just because he died. HE did somethign stupid and ilelgal that caused his death. For all we know the guy could have been trying to commit suicide and Stallworth was just the unlucky guy who happened to be driving by.

The fact that the law and follish people often summary judge against people who have consumed was exactly my point... that is wrong. Alcohol is NOT always a contributing factor even if a person has been drinking. Sometimes it's NOT the drunk person's fault.

If you dont believe that then they better make alcohol illegal because there's no 'legal limit' for just walking around and I'd hate to think that I give up all my human rights everytime I drink a beer. If I have a beer and some sober person punches me and I punch him back, am I the one at fault? You can't really be serious.... it's just too absurd.

The ufnny part is that in SOME situations the law actually absolves the durnk person of all guilt/responsibility.  Example : guy has sex with drunk girl who seemingly has no problem with it.  Girl goes to cops out of shame next day and says guy raped her. That guy will most likely be doing time as the lawyers paint a picture of the helpless drunk girl being attacked by the brutish man.

Our laws are pathetic, religious based, sexist, and often contradictory.