Donte Stallworth gets 30 days in jail for accident

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

Re: Donte Stallworth gets 30 days in jail for accident

and again MPV you mindless autoposter , my other exmaples were to show that sometimes people can die WITHOUT someone having to go to jail for it. IT was in direct response to people saying Stallworth HAS TO do more time than 30 days just because someone died.  A judge made the ruling so obviously he does not HAVE TO.  They took into account the facts as I did above and said there were extenuating circumstances and that his drinking was not the prime factor in the death if it was  factor at all.

We should applaud judges/juries that would come up with decisions like this because it's an advancement of our legal system to NOT autoassume the drunk guy is the problem. I'm sick of people acting like Stallworth got a gooddeal because he's an athlete. What exactly would a judge have to gain by letting him off ? The judge would get better press if they sent him away for 15 years.

And as far as 'paying off the family'.  What exactly would that gain Stall worth ? HE's in a CRIMINAL trial. The charges were filed by the state. Money he gives them has no bearing whatsoever on his trial.  It's a settlement of a possible civil suit that they mightchoose to bring against him. And the result of a civil suit is MONEY not jail time. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with him giving them money. IT's BETTER for them than waiting for a lengthy civil trial to end and possibly not getting money or getting it a year from now.  Stallworth was being GOOD for doing it.

Are there any people left capable of rational thought and seeing all sides of issues... or is society reduced to a bunch of reality tv watching puritan lumps who let the evening news and Ellen Degeneres create their opinions for them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

[QUOTE]As for the little kid I think I have actually heard of this story but I thought it was his brother he shot in the face not his sister, i am not sure but either way he shot someone he loved in teh face by mistake and he was charged as an adult and sent to jail. I read about it on CNN.com in a story about how too many kids are being charged as adults now adays. I dont have a link but i didnt hear that same story so he might not have been lying about it.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

I just know it was some little boy who killed a family member. They could be different, anyways. Little kids killing family members happens more than I'd think it would, for some reason.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

This thread is why Stallworth didn't go to a jury trial, just 2 attorneys and 1 judge some small talk and CASH.....if Vick used this strategy he probably wouldn't be in this discussion,

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

[QUOTE]This thread is why Stallworth didn't go to a jury trial, just 2 attorneys and 1 judge some small talk and CASH.....if Vick used this strategy he probably wouldn't be in this discussion,
    Posted by bchan89[/QUOTE]

Not neccesarily.... Vick had constant media attention and PETA protests.... (Because PETA will eventually start killing "animal abusers" on their own, like the more insane version of Dexter Morgan)

Not sure why, but Stallworth's case has sort of been forgotten about by the news, at least to my knowledge.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Prairie mike has got it right!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

well, although there is a difference between a civil case and a criminal case. The DA in this case said that the input of the victims family played an important role in the state's posture towards the defendant. this is common in criminal cases, although the state is representing the state's interest broadly the specific interests of the victim and or family plays a huge role. thus, money did play a huge role in determining the end result in this case.

having said that, i actually was hoping the result was on the lenient side. stallworth messed up with fatal consequences. however, he doesn't have a criminal record and is thought of as a "good" guy. If the family of the victim is happy with the result, i am not sure what serving 15 years in jail would accomplish. If this were a 2nd dwi or he had a history, i would agree he should be sent to jail for a long time.

my 2 cents-

[QUOTE]and again MPV you mindless autoposter , my other exmaples were to show that sometimes people can die WITHOUT someone having to go to jail for it. IT was in direct response to people saying Stallworth HAS TO do more time than 30 days just because someone died.  A judge made the ruling so obviously he does not HAVE TO.  They took into account the facts as I did above and said there were extenuating circumstances and that his drinking was not the prime factor in the death if it was  factor at all. We should applaud judges/juries that would come up with decisions like this because it's an advancement of our legal system to NOT autoassume the drunk guy is the problem. I'm sick of people acting like Stallworth got a gooddeal because he's an athlete. What exactly would a judge have to gain by letting him off ? The judge would get better press if they sent him away for 15 years. And as far as 'paying off the family'.  What exactly would that gain Stall worth ? HE's in a CRIMINAL trial. The charges were filed by the state. Money he gives them has no bearing whatsoever on his trial.  It's a settlement of a possible civil suit that they mightchoose to bring against him. And the result of a civil suit is MONEY not jail time. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with him giving them money. IT's BETTER for them than waiting for a lengthy civil trial to end and possibly not getting money or getting it a year from now.  Stallworth was being GOOD for doing it. Are there any people left capable of rational thought and seeing all sides of issues... or is society reduced to a bunch of reality tv watching puritan lumps who let the evening news and Ellen Degeneres create their opinions for them.
    Posted by Stupideeediot[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

I don't give a c-rap how sorry he is, for God's sake give him some time.

I hope Jolly Roger suspends his backside for life. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]It's not really pitiful when you think about it. The jaywalking law was put in palce to prevent this from happening whether a driver be under the influence or not.  IT's a messed up society where people are makign judgments on who should be at fault like this.  Consider this 1) The accident could still have happened if Stallworth was sober and drinking vitamin water 2) The accident could not have happened if the guy wasn't in the street. You know how many times I've had people run out from between parked cars and almost hit them ? I'd hate to think that I'd ever be blamed when someone does something like that. As for 'he killed am an and all he got is 30 days'... soldiers kill people all the time and receive no jail sentences.  The fact that someone died is tragic but that shouldn't overwhelm all reason. I mena if someone punches a person and that person happens to be so hardy and muscular that it does no damage, does that make it any more or less bad than if the victim had a glassjaw and wound up in the hospital ?   They had to charge him with a certain crime based on the circumstances but you could easily argue that if the guy wasn't crossing where he did he might only have broken a toe or something.  Maybe Stallworth in whatever condition he was in was still stopping politely at crosswalks and this guy ran out in front of him as he was cruising down the street like any other person. The guy's actions are as much if not more to blame for the consequence of the collision and that has to be taken into account.

So you're saying that jaywalking made this a justifiable homicide and stallworth's being drunk was irrelevant??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]347 do you need to harp on every little thing always? What does it matter if he said murder or manslaghter? seriously stop being such a stickler. All that matters is Stallworth made a selfish choice and put other peoples lives at risk when he got in the car to drive home drunk and because of this a man is dead before his time and Stallworth is to blame.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

MVP I'm not being a stickler but it should be noted Donte wasn't going home, he was coming from there...  So he drank and partied on South Beach until 5AM, got home safely, but then decided to go out again; stupid beyond comprehension. 

You signed a monster deal with the Browns; get a driver. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I just saw on ESPN's scroll,that Stallworth only has to serve 24 days

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

I am no law expert, but many seem confused here.  The fact he committed a crime and then settled with the family are 2 seperate matters.  He was charged in criminal court and got sentenced there.  The wrongful death is a CIVIL matter and has no bearing on the amount of jail time served.  He got off because he is famous.  The family would have won in CIVIL court regardless of whether he spent 30 days in jail or 15 years.  The only person who ultimately gets to decide his jail time is the star struck judge.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

I can't believe I wasted 2 minutes of my life reading this post.  I should have stopped when I read "He is punished for what he did wrong which was drive drunk, he's not being punished for the guy that ran in front of his car while jaywalking... that was not his fault"

and if you honestly believe that a sober man ran out in front of a car while jaywalking you have issues... just like the drunk who says he crashed his car because a tree jumped out in front of him.... he had enough time and flash his lights and honk his horn (this would lead me to believe the man didn't just jump out in front of him suddenly).  How about next time bagging the horn and lights and just hit the break????????????????????  oh yeah he was too drunk to process that in time...  

[QUOTE]mvpkilla my poitn was that they are all examples of accidents. And my question was whether YOU thought those peopel should spend 15 years in jail.  Cause if YOU don't then I don't see why YOU have such a hard time with Stallworth's sentence. His sentence is essentially drunk driving not manslaughter which is how it should be.  He is punished for what he did wrong which was drive drunk, he's not being punished for the guy that ran in front of his car while jaywalking..... that was not his fault.  Both did something illegal and we should excuse the 59 year old guy just because he died. HE did somethign stupid and ilelgal that caused his death. For all we know the guy could have been trying to commit suicide and Stallworth was just the unlucky guy who happened to be driving by. The fact that the law and follish people often summary judge against people who have consumed was exactly my point... that is wrong. Alcohol is NOT always a contributing factor even if a person has been drinking. Sometimes it's NOT the drunk person's fault. If you dont believe that then they better make alcohol illegal because there's no 'legal limit' for just walking around and I'd hate to think that I give up all my human rights everytime I drink a beer. If I have a beer and some sober person punches me and I punch him back, am I the one at fault? You can't really be serious.... it's just too absurd. The ufnny part is that in SOME situations the law actually absolves the durnk person of all guilt/responsibility.  Example : guy has sex with drunk girl who seemingly has no problem with it.  Girl goes to cops out of shame next day and says guy raped her. That guy will most likely be doing time as the lawyers paint a picture of the helpless drunk girl being attacked by the brutish man. Our laws are pathetic, religious based, sexist, and often contradictory.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

There are a lot of valid points here. While I myself believe he should have got more than 30 days, it seems the judge took a lot of these points into consideration. As far as the monetary settlement not having a bearing on the sentence, that's BS. It was all part of the plea deal, and was surely considered by the presiding judge (i.e. the family's input). And while the victim should not have been jaywalking, driving drunk is a more serious offense, IMO. There is also the fact that Stallworth was doing 50 in a 40 zone. Of course, another point is the location of the accident. The MacAurthur Causeway is six lanes wide, has very few intersections, and is very well lit, even in the wee hours of the morning. Driving at 40 mph you should be able to stop unless (like someone suggested) the guy simply jumped out in front of him without looking. Maybe had Donte been doing 40 and been sober he could have stopped on time. I would think the road was wide enough for him to be able to swerve and miss the guy (under dry conditions, observing the speed limit, and sober). The fact (or at least the law) is that his being impaired made this vehicular manslaughter. Guilty as charged, the judge used the circumstances to dictate the sentence. I'm sure Stallworth's lack of a prior record also came into play. But it still seems a bit lienient to me. I got a DUI once (and haven't touched a drop of alcohol since that night), and spent the night in jail plus had no licence, not even a temporary for two months. Not to mention the couple grand in fines, DMV fees, and impound fees. And I didn't get ticketed for anything else, I wasn't even speeding. So maybe he shouldn't have been thrown in jail for the 15 years, but certainly this "slap on the wrist"  is a bit lienient. It's also a bad example to younger guys who will think that having all that money can buy your way put of trouble. Now I can only hope Goodell will suspend him without pay at least for the upcoming season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from suzyvegas72. Show suzyvegas72's posts

I'm no law expert either, but it's not a given that the family would prevail in a wrongful death case.  There are affirmative defenses that would come into play if this matter was litigated in a civil suit:  contributory negligence, comparative negligence, and/or assumption of risk (depending on state laws).  Basically, all of these theories state that as the actions of the victim increase the likelihood of the incident occurring, the fault of the defendant decreases.  If the judge/jury decided that Reyes assumed the risk of being run over when he stepped into traffic, or that by stepping into traffic he was also at fault, the family's judgment would have been reduced.  They could have received nothing at all.  Meanwhile, they would have been put through a lengthy, painful legal process.

Also, these factors could play a role in any criminal prosecution.  Again, the family would have been forced to sit through - probably participate in - this matter.  And again, the judge/jury could find that the accident was unavoidable or that Reyes's actions off-set Stallworth's guilt.

Sure, Stallworth's money probably came into play here.  He has the means to reach a settlement with the family and give them what they want without having a lengthy trial where the family has to sue to force him to liquidate everything he owns.  And he is able to go to jail for 30 days without losing his job. 

This is a horrible situation, but at least Stallworth's owning his actions and saving the family a year or two of discovery and trials.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Stupideeediot,

If this was entirely the fault of the jaywalker then the DA and the judge better be making that damn clear and be telling the public that there is no doubt that this was the victim's fault and not Stallworth's because otherwise this leniency is inexcusable.  But all I'm seeing in the paper is the authorities talking about his cooperation and the victim's family wanting to put the matter to rest which is total bullsh!t.   If Bub is right and this was a six lane road with no intersections and Stallworth had time to honk his horn then he should absolutely get 15 years in prison. 

Poor people go to prison while the rich get bailed out.  We should be rioting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Airmanflight23. Show Airmanflight23's posts

how messed up is FL?

CNN:
    A teenager is being held on 19 counts of animal cruelty linked to a month-long killing spree of pet cats in the Miami area, police said.

He could face a maximum of 158 YEARS in state prison if convicted on all counts, said Terry Shavez, spokeswoman for the state attorney's office.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

I'm all for protecting dogs, cats, and animals in general. However, how is killing a human being so dramatically less important than killing an animal. I know that there are a lot of activists who will argue that a life is a life and I understand that and I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but come on. 30 days for killing a guy?

THAT's pedestrian.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

[QUOTE]how messed up is FL? CNN: A teenager is being held on 19 counts of animal cruelty linked to a month-long killing spree of pet cats in the Miami area, police said. He could face a maximum of 158  YEARS in state prison if convicted on all counts, said Terry Shavez, spokeswoman for the state attorney's office.
    Posted by Airmanflight23[/QUOTE]

158 years? He's going to plead insanity, I bet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

[QUOTE]I'm no law expert either, but it's not a given that the family would prevail in a wrongful death case.  There are affirmative defenses that would come into play if this matter was litigated in a civil suit:  contributory negligence, comparative negligence, and/or assumption of risk (depending on state laws).  Basically, all of these theories state that as the actions of the victim increase the likelihood of the incident occurring, the fault of the defendant decreases.  If the judge/jury decided that Reyes assumed the risk of being run over when he stepped into traffic, or that by stepping into traffic he was also at fault, the family's judgment would have been reduced.  They could have received nothing at all.  Meanwhile, they would have been put through a lengthy, painful legal process. Also, these factors could play a role in any criminal prosecution.  Again, the family would have been forced to sit through - probably participate in - this matter.  And again, the judge/jury could find that the accident was unavoidable or that Reyes's actions off-set Stallworth's guilt. Sure, Stallworth's money probably came into play here.  He has the means to reach a settlement with the family and give them what they want without having a lengthy trial where the family has to sue to force him to liquidate everything he owns.  And he is able to go to jail for 30 days without losing his job.  This is a horrible situation, but at least Stallworth's owning his actions and saving the family a year or two of discovery and trials.
    Posted by suzyvegas72[/QUOTE]

I think you and ctpat have it right.  The state has a responsibility to pursue, but it also has a responsibility to the people of the state that are affected.  The state (and I mean the judge as its agent in this case) gave up its rights to pursue when it decided that the wishes of the family outweighed the state's wishes (any and all extenuating circumstances (if any) applied).  Doesn't seem right, but our justice system allows for it, for good or bad.  Still seems a little slim on punishment though.  Maybe the DA didn't think he could get an outright conviction on VM.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE] This thread about Stallworths' laughable sentence reminded of what happened today 6/17/94 when another football player got himself in a jam and got away with murder.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

See, if Stallworth had simply cut the guy's head off with a kitchen knife he could have avoided that pesky 30 days.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The main point we should all be taking away from this whole thing is if any of us were in Stallworths shoes we would all be going to jail for 15 years. Stupididiot can call me brainless all he wants it does not change the FACT that rich people get away with stuff poor people dont. If I hit a man while he was jaywalking and the cops later found out i was drunk when i hit and killed him I would be sent away no question about it.

And by the way stupididiot i do think you and me would see eye to eye on a number of other subjects as i to offton go on rants about realality tv turned americans into mindless drowns lol so we seem to be on the same page however you lumped me in with those morons and that is not the case. We just dont see eye to eye on this subject thats all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]I think you and ctpat have it right.  The state has a responsibility to pursue, but it also has a responsibility to the people of the state that are affected.  The state (and I mean the judge as its agent in this case) gave up its rights to pursue when it decided that the wishes of the family outweighed the state's wishes (any and all extenuating circumstances (if any) applied).  Doesn't seem right, but our justice system allows for it, for good or bad.  Still seems a little slim on punishment though.  Maybe the DA didn't think he could get an outright conviction on VM.
    Posted by 347pg[/QUOTE]

No our justice system does not allow DAs to refrain from prosecuting a killer because he bribed the victim's family.  Both the DA and the judge in this case should go to jail for 15 years. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

[QUOTE]No our justice system does not allow DAs to refrain from prosecuting a killer because he bribed the victim's family.  Both the DA and the judge in this case should go to jail for 15 years. 
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

Mighty
    The justice system does allow for a DA to plea a case if he doesn't feel he can get a conviction though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

Our justice system DOES allow for prosecutorial discretion. If the state believes it does not have a strong case or has some compelling reason for not pursuing charges filed by the police, it has the right to not move forward. you may not like it, but that is our justice system.

In this case, the state moved forward, but believed the plea bargain was acceptable to the interests of the victim and the state and the judge must have agreed to accept the plea.

I can understand not agreeing with the punishment, however, what does the da or judge have to gain by doing this? I suppose you can blame the victims family for accepting the settlement and not asking for the maximum sentence. However, this seems to be a personal decesion that the victims family made, i don't believe it makes them bad people to not want a man to spend 15 years in jail in the name of justice. btw, i wouldn't think it makes someone a bad person to want the person to serve the maximum. everyone's idea of justice is different-

[QUOTE]No our justice system does not allow DAs to refrain from prosecuting a killer because he bribed the victim's family.  Both the DA and the judge in this case should go to jail for 15 years. 
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

District attorneys cannot agree to plea bargains that are unjust.  Nor can a judge accept one.  It is without a doubt unjust to settle a manslaughter case for 30 days in jail.  A prosecutor cannot settle the average manslaughter case for say, 10 years, or even 5 years, and then show partiality to a celebrity and settle for 30 frigginn days, especially where the only reasons given are that the killer cooperated and the victim's family wants it.  The prosecutor and the judge in this case are criminals and should have be forced to shower three times a day with all the poor people they've sent away for life.