Donte Stallworth gets 30 days in jail for accident

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: Donte Stallworth gets 30 days in jail for accident

ctpat, I did not say that in this case someone was for sure paid off in fact probally not but what I meant was simple if you dont think it happens you need to grow up. If you dont think that a judge can be bought or a DA then you are being think headed. Maybe Stallworth didnt buy anyone off but its has happened and it will continue to happen so it is entirely possible that Stallworth did pay someone off. I am not saying he did but i am saying it is a possibility and for you to sit here and act like its silly for any of us to suggest such thing is stupid. Maybe he did buy someone off maybe he didnt but you cant just dismiss the possibility because as i said the world is currupt, people are greedy, and money is power. Everyone has a price and people can be bought so dont just act like its a silly suggestion because its not.

Take a poll of how many American's think OJ Simpson somehow bought himself out of his murder trial and I am sure at like 70 or 80% of people will say they do thin he paid for his freedom. Its not unheard of for people to suggest such a thing.

And castaway you are right what happened to Stallworth could have happened to any of us since almost everyone one has driven drunk at some point in their lives the difference is if anyone of us did what Stallworth did we would be going to jail for far more then 30 days.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

There is some good discussion here and while you would think a matter of law would be a little less abstract than some of the topics in a certain other thread that I am not going to name, one word I have not yet heard in all of this is "expediency:" and it has been my experience that this is the single most important factor determining the largest portion of criminal cases, whether they involve your local crack dealer or a butcher in Orange County. Court dockets tend to be overfilled on a daily basis and most of the stuff you would see if you sat in an arraignment session would bore you to tears. In Hennepin County, where I live, the first thing that happens is the judge leaves the room, and all the defendants spend a few minutes talking to the DA -- or making appointments to include lawyers -- and discuss what to expect and how to "expedite" the process. It is designed less to provide maximum justice for everyone and more to get people through the process as fairly and quickly as possible. In a case like Stallworth's, I think it is reasonable to assume that this was an accident, and in Florida jaywalking is a mitigating factor, so a short sentence, arbitrated monetary damages and lengthy probation is where they ended up. While it's true that money equals power, and an expensive lawyer can broker a deal that you or I cannot, that is hardly Stallworth's fault. My biggest problem with this particular judgment is that driving while intoxicated is very high on the list of potential recidivist crimes. Very rare is the person who learns his lesson the first time. Alcohol is a cruel mistress, and sending the message that something as dire as involuntary manslaughter can be skirted sets a dangerous precedent. I used to live in Florida, and I personally knew more than one person who had been convicted of DUI five or more times and yet was still driving around -- no problem. I now live in the birthplace of the MADD movement, and I can assure you that if Donte Stallworth had run down a rube on 4th St. in Dinkytown, 30 days he would not be getting. More than anything, I am troubled that it appears that the family of the victim had a strong voice (a voice that was flat-out bought and paid for) in the legal disposition of this case, and I have strong reservations about where a precedent like that might lead.

Other than that, I have no strong feelings on the subject.Undecided

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I have no idea what other thread you are reffering to...lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

me neither..........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

[QUOTE]...I would love to personally waterboard this sh$#head.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]
    I'll bring the water jugs.
    We could just strap him to the barrel of the tank in your avatar!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]Mighty, how did W and Cheney get into this?  Is your real name Ted Kennedy by any chance?  Politics has no place in these forums.  Since we're there, let me say that I could give a f*#k about the terrorists that you probably think W committed crimes against.  The terrorist below put 6 shots into me and killed my passenger.  I was in Kuwait as a civilian prior to the Iraq war so don't give me any "I was an occupier" line.  I would love to personally waterboard this sh$#head.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

That's right, all those people who stand between us and our oil are terrorists.  And all the US and foreign people who die for oil mean nothing to the oil industry. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

mighty,

"If you can't agree that manslaughter is an absolute moral no-no, I have nothing to say to you."

In stallworth's case it is tough to say it was a moral issue because he had zero intent on harming anyone. Unless you are saying the act of driving while impaired in a moral no-no. otherwise, luck, or the lack of luck, is the only thing that separates your average guy who drinks and drives a time or two in his life and stallworth. Hitler on the other hand, was intentionally killing people.

And mighty, if you can't agree to that, i still have things to say to you-

[QUOTE]Ctpat, Stallworth did get special treatment.  It is obvious.  I know lots of other criminals get special treatment every day because the system s*cks, the police are corrupt, and the DAs are bought. "very few absolute moral no-no's but murdering innocent people is probably up there"  And manslaughtering innocent people isn't? If you can't agree that manslaughter is an absolute moral no-no, I have nothing to say to you. Caraway - you make an excellent point.  We've all made mistakes that could have landed us in big legal trouble if caught.  But the point I've been trying to make isn't that Stallworth is a horrible evil person (I feel bad for him) - my point is that the prosecutor and the judge in this case are horrible evil people.  Stallworth made a mistake and should pay the criminal penalty for it - but the prosecutor and the judge deliberately, maliciously disregarded their duty to the state and intentionally failed to exact justice.  They are the bad guys here, and I sure as heck hope the US Justice Department or the state attorney general prosecute them both, or else that an angry mob beats the $h!t out of them.
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

MVP,

I hear ya, and i agree that money plays a role in many things, including the legal system. For example, the oj case, which you brought up. i do believe money did play a role in the result, in the sense that oj was able to pay and/or attract a high powered and skilled team of lawyers (the average guy could not do that). Another reason, in my opinion, that he got off was the race issue. However, i do not believe oj or his attorney's paid off the judge, jury or da's office.

money can impact things without it rising to the level of bribery or corruption. so when the majority of americans are saying oj "bought his freedom" i would agree for the reason stated above.

I also agree there are a few examples where there is straight up bribery, etc. However, i believe that is the exception to the the rule and certainly does not justify the knee-jerk "cry of foul play" reaction made by the public anytime someone of fame is giving a verdict they don't agree with.

[QUOTE]ctpat, I did not say that in this case someone was for sure paid off in fact probally not but what I meant was simple if you dont think it happens you need to grow up. If you dont think that a judge can be bought or a DA then you are being think headed. Maybe Stallworth didnt buy anyone off but its has happened and it will continue to happen so it is entirely possible that Stallworth did pay someone off. I am not saying he did but i am saying it is a possibility and for you to sit here and act like its silly for any of us to suggest such thing is stupid. Maybe he did buy someone off maybe he didnt but you cant just dismiss the possibility because as i said the world is currupt, people are greedy, and money is power. Everyone has a price and people can be bought so dont just act like its a silly suggestion because its not. Take a poll of how many American's think OJ Simpson somehow bought himself out of his murder trial and I am sure at like 70 or 80% of people will say they do thin he paid for his freedom. Its not unheard of for people to suggest such a thing. And castaway you are right what happened to Stallworth could have happened to any of us since almost everyone one has driven drunk at some point in their lives the difference is if anyone of us did what Stallworth did we would be going to jail for far more then 30 days.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]I'll bring the water jugs. We could just strap him to the barrel of the tank in your avatar!
    Posted by 347pg[/QUOTE]

How about wrapping a chain around his neck and putting the other end on harley's bike and let him drag him down the freeway for about 50 miles or so? That, or renting an airboat and use him to "troll for gators" in the Everglades!!! But first we'll shave off his beard and put him in a dress. That's the ultimate humiliation for guys like that!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

[QUOTE]How about wrapping a chain around his neck and putting the other end on harley's bike and let him drag him down the freeway for about 50 miles or so? That, or renting an airboat and use him to "troll for gators" in the Everglades!!! But first we'll shave off his beard and put him in a dress. That's the ultimate humiliation for guys like that!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Bub:

Better yet, rent a speed boat and use him to troll for crocs near the nuclear reactor in South Miami-Dade/North Monroe County - yes, the only crocodiles on the US mainland. He won't last long, crocs are generally seen as more aggressive than gators......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

I have an older brother who lives in Miami who's been busted twice for DWI. No accidents no deaths. He paid the price for his stupidity by doing 10 months in the can after his second offense.

This is just another case of fame and money buying someone's way out of trouble. And it's not only the courts. The victum's family backed the low sentence in return for a cash settlement basically selling the dead guy for money.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]I have an older brother who lives in Miami who's been busted twice for DWI. No accidents no deaths. He paid the price for his stupidity by doing 10 months in the can after his second offense. This is just another case of fame and money buying someone's way out of trouble. And it's not only the courts. The victum's family backed the low sentence in return for a cash settlement basically selling the dead guy for money.
    Posted by Evil2009[/QUOTE]
    Which should be illegal. Some ones wealth should have no bearings on whether you walk or not. Our justice system needs a serious overhaul.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

The victum's family backed the low sentence in return for a cash settlement basically selling the dead guy for money.

Sad, but true. Of course, to look at it from their point of view, even if Stallworth had got the 15 years, their loved one would still be gone. I have read that they have a 17 year old daughter who needs money for college. Maybe they felt this is what the victim would have wanted (and why he was just getting off work at 7 am). Who knows? I can surely understand your point of view, though. The court system is truly unfair. But I think the reason the perception is so strong that it's only those with money who get the deals is because poor people get no media coverage. Still, the DA and the judge seem to be lowballing this sentence. I would think they could have suggested a year or so, and the family would have been OK with it. Possibly Donte's lawyer played "hard ball" and threatened to drag it out in court if there was substantial jail time. We'll never know the "backroom politics". Just one question, though. Do they have mandatory sentencing for second offenders there? If so, that may explain why they could let Stallworth off so easily, but not do it for your brother. In any case it's pretty evident that money had a whole lot to do with this case. At least Goodell was not so lienient! Back in 84 my best friend growing up was killed by a drunk driver who decided to cruise the sidewalk. My friend was also drunk and unable to get out of the way. The guy who hit him only served a year in jail, and I remember thinking that was way too little. Whatever the penalty in these cases it would be much better if people simply had the sense to call a cab.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

[QUOTE]The victum's family backed the low sentence in return for a cash settlement basically selling the dead guy for money. Sad, but true. Of course, to look at it from their point of view, even if Stallworth had got the 15 years, their loved one would still be gone. I have read that they have a 17 year old daughter who needs money for college. Maybe they felt this is what the victim would have wanted (and why he was just getting off work at 7 am). Who knows? I can surely understand your point of view, though. The court system is truly unfair. But I think the reason the perception is so strong that it's only those with money who get the deals is because poor people get no media coverage. Still, the DA and the judge seem to be lowballing this sentence. I would think they could have suggested a year or so, and the family would have been OK with it. Possibly Donte's lawyer played "hard ball" and threatened to drag it out in court if there was substantial jail time. We'll never know the "backroom politics". Just one question, though. Do they have mandatory sentencing for second offenders there? If so, that may explain why they could let Stallworth off so easily, but not do it for your brother. In any case it's pretty evident that money had a whole lot to do with this case. At least Goodell was not so lienient! Back in 84 my best friend growing up was killed by a drunk driver who decided to cruise the sidewalk. My friend was also drunk and unable to get out of the way. The guy who hit him only served a year in jail, and I remember thinking that was way too little. Whatever the penalty in these cases it would be much better if people simply had the sense to call a cab.

Bub:

In answer to yout two questions: a/ the State of Florida does have mandatory  progressively higher sentencing guidelines for each additional dui-related act; and b/ I am taking a wild guess (unless proven otherwise) that this guy had a late shift doing assembly work in one of the local "factorias" (local hispanic slang for the small-to-medium sized assembly plants that dot the Greater Miami area) to supplement his day job.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]Bub: In answer to yout two questions: a/ the State of Florida does have mandatory  progressively higher sentencing guidelines for each additional dui-related act; and b/ I am taking a wild guess (unless proven otherwise) that this guy had a late shift doing assembly work in one of the local "factorias" (local hispanic slang for the small-to-medium sized assembly plants that dot the Greater Miami area) to supplement his day job.
    Posted by Belenus555[/QUOTE]

I'm not completely sure, but I thought I read he was a construction worker. And though I haven't been to Miami for a while, I can't recall any factories on the causeway. If I had to guess, I'd say he was working at some new consruction on one of those islands in Biscayne Bay. I rremember a lot of companies working night shifts due to the heat during the day (I used to start work at 5 am so we could knock off at 1 or 2 before it became oppressive in the summer). But I thought they may have some sort of sentencing guidelines for repeat offenders. Not that it makes it fair, but it does make sense. I remember out in L.A. where a guy killed five people (four of them children) while trying to get on the freeway via an off-ramp (in the wrong direction). The story said he had five prior convictions for DUI. I don't know how much time he received (it was almost 20 years ago), but if I were the judge he'd never walk (or drive) the streets again. Donte was lucky it was his first offense. Still, it must be a slap in the face to other victims, as well as guys like Evil's brother.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not completely sure, but I thought I read he was a construction worker. And though I haven't been to Miami for a while, I can't recall any factories on the causeway. If I had to guess, I'd say he was working at some new consruction on one of those islands in Biscayne Bay. I rremember a lot of companies working night shifts due to the heat during the day (I used to start work at 5 am so we could knock off at 1 or 2 before it became oppressive in the summer). But I thought they may have some sort of sentencing guidelines for repeat offenders. Not that it makes it fair, but it does make sense. I remember out in L.A. where a guy killed five people (four of them children) while trying to get on the freeway via an off-ramp (in the wrong direction). The story said he had five prior convictions for DUI. I don't know how much time he received (it was almost 20 years ago), but if I were the judge he'd never walk (or drive) the streets again. Donte was lucky it was his first offense. Still, it must be a slap in the face to other victims, as well as guys like Evil's brother.

Bub:

You're right, it used to fairly usual for some construction work to be done at night in the middle of summer due to the high daytime temperatures. By the time I left Miami (in 2002), the only night construction work you would see would have been on high daytime traffic areas like the Palmetto Expressway which were much less traveled late at night. You're also correct that there isn't any assembly work in the "islands" area - but there are in certain parts of Miami Beach (i.e. between Arthur Godfrey Road or 41st Street and 71st Street [aka 79th Street Causeway]).
    I can see a possibility of this poor guy having to take more than one bus/ mode of transport to get home and the bus stop on MacArthur Causeway was simply one more step towards home.

The more you think about it, the sadder it is. Although I understand the how and why the sentencing and financial settlement went the way it did - it is one more case of expediency overcoming justice. Until uniform federal or state (forced by the federal government) guidelines for dui-related offenses are the rule, the vast differences in adjudication and sentencing between the states will continue.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE] "our justice system needs an overhaul"  sounds like a job for ObamaMan.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

It's a state issue. Besides Obama has enough on his plate to last 10 terms.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Anybody else think Obama, or at least the way he is portrayed by the media, is fascist?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

[QUOTE]mighty, "If you can't agree that manslaughter is an absolute moral no-no, I have nothing to say to you." In stallworth's case it is tough to say it was a moral issue because he had zero intent on harming anyone. Unless you are saying the act of driving while impaired in a moral no-no. otherwise, luck, or the lack of luck, is the only thing that separates your average guy who drinks and drives a time or two in his life and stallworth. Hitler on the other hand, was intentionally killing people. And mighty, if you can't agree to that, i still have things to say to you-
    Posted by ctpat[/QUOTE]

Well that's where 'mighty' excuses himself from a rational conversation because Manslaughter has no moral implication by it's very definition:

MANSLAUGHTER - The unlawful killing of a human being without malice or premeditation, either express or implied; distinguished from murder, which requires malicious intent.

Without malice or premeditation... in other words it is an act that a person did not contemplate or make a conscious decision about beforehand. You can't say someone is poor morally when they never planned the event beforehand. They made no conscious decision that the action should or shouldn't take place. And the result obviously was not the intent of the person involved.

That is the major distinction between murder and manslaughter.  Murders are intentional whether they are premeditated or not. They can be considered morally wrong because the offender is looking for the desired result of the other person being dead.... assuming that is morally wrong in your culture. What is morally wrong to us may not be morally wrong in the eyes of others.

So in other words, Stallworth is no more morally wrong for having a person dead in this situation than any person who consumed alcohol but wasn't invovled in a person's death.  And.... I would assume that's why the sentence was what it was... because the court decided that the jaywalking (i.e. RUNNING IN FRONT OF A CAR) played as much part in the death as Stallworth's DUI.  Technically, the man who died would be as morally wrong as Stallworth in the situation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

[QUOTE]Anybody else think Obama, or at least the way he is portrayed by the media, is fascist?
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

mighty:

If Obama is being portrayed as a fascist - which definition are they using: Griffin's ("...a genuinely revolutionary, trans-class form of anti-liberal, and in the last analysis, anti-conservative nationalism. As such it is an ideology deeply bound up with modernization and modernity, one which has assumed a considerable variety of external forms to adapt itself to the particular historical and national context in which it appears, and has drawn a wide range of cultural and intellectual currents, both left and right, anti-modern and pro-modern, to articulate itself as a body of ideas, slogans, and doctrine...") or Paxton's ("...a form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation or victimhood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing and external expansion..") or a combination of both.

If Obama is accused of increasingly bureaucratising the nation's economy, then one can (however remotely) make the case for following the Mussolini approach to fascism. If the accusation involves "..[rejecting] the capitalist system, which disregards the needs of the people, dehumanizes private property, and transforms the workers into shapeless masses that are prone to misery and despair. Our spiritual and national awareness likewise repudiates Marxism. We shall channel the drive of the working classes, that are nowadays led astray by Marxism, by demanding their direct participation in the formidable task of the national State.." without actually calling him a marxist or a socialist - then, Obama would fit the fascism model espoused by Franco's Falangists in Spain.

In other words, if he is so portrayed: in what fashion and for what actions?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

To clarify my last post .... consider these 2 situations.

1)
    Man jaywalks to catch his bus. Stallworth is driving and hits the man because he isn't expecting him in the street.  Man dies.  Stallworth is crucified and everyone says 'poor dead guy'.

2)
    Man jaywalks to catch his bus.  Soccer mom swerves to avoid him and hits a telephone pole, killing 2 small children in her minivan.

So tell me... why is that people would feel different about these situations. In the first situation people excuse the man's actions becaue the consequences adversely affected him.  But in the second situation would peopel still be excusing the man? Or would people say 'Some a***ole broke the law just to catch a stupid bus and now 2 kids are dead.. FRY HIM!'

The outcome of the situations should not change the morality of it and SHOULDN'T change our opinions of the players in it. Whether it's the guy crossing the street that dies or the soccer mom's kids , the jaywalker is still WRONG. We should not feel sympathy for him or sorry for him. His actions could have easily resulted in someone else's death rather than his own.

I think that's where the court may have come up with their decision. They charged Stallworth as a DUI offender but decided that the death was a result but that the man's actions contributed as much to him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE] "our justice system needs an overhaul"  sounds like a job for ObamaMan.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2009/06/watch-jibjabs-parody-of-superhero-barack-obama.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]mighty: If Obama is being portrayed as a fascist - which definition are they using: Griffin's ("... a genuinely revolutionary, trans-class form of anti-liberal, and in the last analysis, anti-conservative nationalism. As such it is an ideology deeply bound up with modernization and modernity, one which has assumed a considerable variety of external forms to adapt itself to the particular historical and national context in which it appears, and has drawn a wide range of cultural and intellectual currents, both left and right, anti-modern and pro-modern, to articulate itself as a body of ideas, slogans, and doctrine ...") or Paxton's ("... a form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation or victimhood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing and external expansion ..") or a combination of both. If Obama is accused of increasingly bureaucratising the nation's economy, then one can (however remotely) make the case for following the Mussolini approach to fascism. If the accusation involves "..[ rejecting] the capitalist system, which disregards the needs of the people, dehumanizes private property, and transforms the workers into shapeless masses that are prone to misery and despair. Our spiritual and national awareness likewise repudiates Marxism . We shall channel the drive of the working classes, that are nowadays led astray by Marxism, by demanding their direct participation in the formidable task of the national State .." without actually calling him a marxist or a socialist - then, Obama would fit the fascism model espoused by Franco's Falangists in Spain. In other words, if he is so portrayed: in what fashion and for what actions?
    Posted by Belenus555[/QUOTE]

Ummm ... the last one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Stallworth got 30 days.Here's what happens to poor people who commit a crime.From si.com:

SACRAMENTO (AP) -- A Sacramento man is facing prison for stealing Lance Armstrong's bicycle while the seven-time Tour de France winner was competing in California.

Sacramento County court documents show 40-year-old Lee Crider is to be sentenced Monday to three years in prison for burglary and theft. He pleaded no contest June 1 to stealing Armstrong's time trial bike and two other bikes from a trailer after the Sacramento prologue to the Tour of California in February.

Another man, 33-year-old Dung Hoang Le of Elk Grove, pleaded no contest June 1 to receiving stolen property. He has been sentenced to 90 days in jail, to be served on the sheriff's work project.

A police report says he bought Armstrong's $10,000 bike from Crider for $200. He later turned it in to police.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

I was happy to read that there are some people on here who are finally looking at the whole situation and not just giving their personal feelings amoungst the facts that are know in this tragedy.

Do I believe 30 days was long enough, NO...I thought at least 90 days to years would have been part of the plea agreement.  But it was not...

Like priorly stated, Stallworth was driving from a hotel in Miami, where he spent the night (where he slept after a night out drinking) and woke up and drove to his condo in Miami in the morning hours.  He was driving under the influence. Victum was running across the road to catch a bus when Stallworth allegedly flashed his lights & honked his horn doing 50 mph in a 40 mph zone (believe me, drivers here in FL do 60-70 mph in 40 mph zones following cops doing the same) to warn him.  You have to understand that even though you think that something as simple as just stopping or slowing down could have taken place, drivers in FL would have no quams just running you over for doing the same...I live & drive here...I'm not even exagerating!  Stallworth stopped right away when he struck the victim, called 911 and stayed at the scene, did a DUI sobriety field test, showed complete remorse and fully cooperated.

Now, what I read is the daughter is 15 years old, not 17.  The victum was her only monetary provider (bread winner in the family).  SHE, being already getting through her morning process (which will still continue for a very long time) DID NOT want a trial, DID NOT want the whole thing publicized in the media to remind her of what exactly happened.  The family felt it was best to just move on quickly & not have any drawn out court drama because the daughter would most likely not be able to take all the emotions that go with it all.  This I can completely understand as my 16 yr old neice is having a really hard time getting through loosing my sister to cancer at age 40! ANY constant reminder of the "accident" that would be continually analized in court would surely eat away at this 15 yr old girl's emotions to the point of possible breakdown.

Here is a quote:

When it's what the victim's family desires. When the family, as Chavez put it, "strongly urges" prosecutors to make it go away as quickly as possible. The widow didn't want her 15-year-old daughter living with an open criminal case for who knows how long."

"We really rely heavily on what the family wants," Chavez told me. "It really makes a big difference."

SO, because if THAT reason, the family was ok with accepting a monetary settlement and the plea agreement.

To recap Stallworth's sentence...

- 30 Days in Jail
    - 1000 hrs community service
    - Driver's licence suspended for life (open to appeal after five years)
    - Donated $2,500 to Mothers Against Drunk Driving
    - Donated $2,500 to Parents Of Murdered Children
    - Paid $1,842.88 for cost recovery and $583 in FL court costs

One part of his sentance that most have overlooked & don't mention is that he also has lost his privelige to drive for LIFE!  So unlike other people who have gotten more than 1 DUI & yes, some who also had killed someone previously and gotten their drivers liscence back after serving thier sentence.  Yes, some feel that is still negatable, but it's not.  He legally can't drive for the rest of his life & can't get another DUI, or for those who are worked up about all the money he has...He will NEVER be able to drive any of his expensive cars again or possibly for 5 years.  As a car guy, that itself is just as bad as jail time (driving is my therapy).

Now on Goodell suspending Stallworth indefinetly and the 30 days in jail...I think the 30 days had to do with allowing Stallworth to get back to football to be able to PAY the settlement!  So I wonder if Goodell's decision actually underminds the family's agreement with Stallworth?  The family gets screwed if Stallworth can't pay the settlement that was agreed because he is no longer getting paid his NFL salary...Comments on  that?