Donte Stallworth Suspended indefinitely by NFL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Donte Stallworth Suspended indefinitely by NFL

From espn.com:

Stallworth suspended indefinitely

ESPN.com news services

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth, who pleaded guilty Tuesday to DUI manslaughter in the death of a pedestrian in Florida, has been suspended indefinitely by the NFL.

The suspension is effective immediately, the league announced in an extensive news release Thursday afternoon.

"The conduct reflected in your guilty plea resulted in the tragic loss of life and was inexcusable," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "While the criminal justice system has determined the legal consequences of this incident, it is my responsibility as NFL Commissioner to determine appropriate league discipline for your actions, which have caused irreparable harm to the victim and his family, your club, your fellow players and the NFL."

Stallworth began serving a 30-day jail sentence Tuesday. He also was sentenced to two years of house arrest following his release from jail, and will be on probation for eight years. He had faced 15 years in prison.

The punishment was made possible by his cooperation with investigators and the fervent wish by the victim's family to put the matter behind them.

But Goodell showed no mercy in the wording of his statement.

"There is no reasonable dispute that your continued eligibility for participation at this time would undermine the integrity of and public confidence in our league," he said.

Stallworth, 28, also reached a confidential financial settlement with the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes, a Miami construction worker struck and killed early on March 14 by Stallworth, who was driving drunk in his black 2005 Bentley.

Stallworth told Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy on Tuesday that he hopes to get involved in drunken driving education programs.

"I accept full responsibility for this horrible tragedy," said Stallworth, who was accompanied at the hearing by his parents, siblings and other supporters. "I will bear this burden for the rest of my life."

Stallworth also must undergo drug and alcohol testing, will have a lifetime driver's license suspension and must perform 1,000 hours of community service.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

Re: Donte Stallworth Suspended indefinitely by NFL

good, i cant believe he got off as easily as he did.  now i understand that florida state law has a little piece in it protecting drunk drivers, as long as someone else was partially at fault. i realize that donte called police immedietly after the incident and has done the "right" thing since striking mr. reyes... but the fact is the reyes family will never see this man alive again. 

this is a terrible tradagy. donte seems regretful of the situation, but i cant see how he got off so easy.  personally, i feel if your caught driving drunk, i dont care if you could make it home or not, that should be (attempted) manslaughter whether you hit someone or not. it is not acceptable to me to get behind the wheel of a car drunk under any circumstances.

this is coming from someone who parties often, but responsibly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The bottom line is this - Donte got into that car and drove knowing full well he had been drinking.  Even though he may have felt he was OK to drive, it is obvious he wasn't.  The tragedy could have been fully avoided if he had simply not driven that night.  An inexcusable decision.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

According to an article on ESPN any plaer in a major city can have a car come pick them up, courtesy of the NFL, if they have been drinking. And yet, he drove.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

OK folks so this means you are fine with the additional punishment? Because I'm going to tell you I think Goodell is acting like an irresponsible human being.I'm going to tell you what Donte faces for the rest of his life scorn and self ridicule not to count public abuse from morons.I don't know how many of you have ever been incarcerated or subjegated to the whims of a probation officer who might be as abusive as the court system can be.Most Probation officers see it as their job to put people in jail for even the smallest of infractions,but let me digress first of all Donte didn't run from the scene like a criminal he stayed and waited like a law abiding citizen,he also didn't take advantage of his place in society he was arrested, booked ,and released on personal bond.He hired an attorney who worked out a deal to the satisfaction of the deceased man's family and the district attorney's of Dade county,he also paid for the entire needs of the family and has compensated them for their loss in the only way he could monetarilly.For those of you hypocrites who think that he got off easy you are incorrect in fact had he been a sleezy human being he could have gotten a much better deal, because the chances were that the state couldn't have proven their case against him for Voluntary Manslaughter and the worst he would have been hit with by Florida law
    is InVoluntary Manslaughter as they would have had to prove intent to cause bodily harm on a man who jumped out from a blind spot in his vision so Donte did not see him until to late and though I'm not an attorney I'm sure he could have proven there was no intent to commit bodily harm.Now to what he agreed to as punishment:30 days in Jail,2 years of house arrest,8 years of formal probation and the kicker 1,000 hours of community service have any of you ever had to perform community service?I'll tell you how hard it is to complete such an insane number of hours he has agreed to serve as part of the deal,because if he fails too complete it he is in violation of both probation and a legal court order both of which hold additional jail time if he fails to complete his community service to the equivilant of the time of the service or the waived original Jail time!!! All the while he has to meet all of the terms of his probation.I'm sure that you all think that this deal is just a slap on the hand but I'm here to tell you he is in a world of Do Do.One mistake over the next eight years and it's off to serve prison time for Manslaughter.As for depriving him of gainful employment this is the act of a fool,but that's what I see every time I see or hear another decision made by Roger Goodell,I can only hope before I pass from this world that I see him in trouble so he has to ask for forgiveness and understanding so he can realize some of his own medicine.For all the other hypocrites out there go try and do 1,000 free man hours of community service without the constraints of the legal system bearing down on you and see for your self how difficult that can be and then think about someone watching over your shoulder to see if you really went and did what you said you did....God Bless to You Donte Stallworth may he bring you peace of mind.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

According to an article on ESPN any plaer in a major city can have a car come pick them up, courtesy of the NFL, if they have been drinking. And yet, he drove.
    Posted by Dead54

All the more reason for Stallworth to be suspended for life. Hopefully other players will learn from this unfortunate incident, and will call that car rather than get into their own. I'm pleased with Goodell, I really expected less of a suspension. IMO they should have done the same to that guy from the Rams a few years ago.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

There was a thread on here a few months ago where several posters were defending the merits of driving while high (vice drunk).

Where are they now?

Where were all these posters who are saying to throw the book at Stallworth back then when people were claiming it is OK to drive stoned? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

There was a thread on here a few months ago where several posters were defending the merits of driving while high (vice drunk). Where are they now? Where were all these posters who are saying to throw the book at Stallworth back then when people were claiming it is OK to drive stoned? 
    Posted by EnochRoot

If he was high instead of drunk that guy coulda crossed the street 20 times over cause Stallworth would have been only goin like 25mph

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoLaN87. Show NoLaN87's posts

I think its absolute CR@P that he gets 24 days in jail for KILLING someone, and Vick gets two years for dog fighting. I know that Vick lied to Goddel & Investigators, but it was dog fighting, this is MANSLAUGHTER. If this was so average joe, he'd be in prison for years. We need to start treating athletes like normal human beings in the legal system, no more free passes because they entertain us... this makes me sick

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Vick didnt go to jail for killing one dog he went to jail for being the head of a criminal enterprise. He fronted the money to start a criminal enterprise and thats why he went away for 18 months. It was not like he killed one dog he funded the money so that they could start an entire company for killing dogs. he was the head of his own little crime family lol thats why he got sent away. I am not saying its not crazy that Stallworth got off light i am just saying Vick got what he deserved and there was nothing ridiculas about it what so ever.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

there is a big difference between driving drunk and driving stoned. How many times a year does some die in a drinking related car crash? Now go crunch the same number for people being high and look at the difference. Smoking weed has not caused nearly as many deaths as drinking driving its not even in the same ball park, the same game, he ll its not even in the same league as drinking and driving. seriously go look at the numbers and you see how big of a difference there is between the two. At this point smoking pot should be legal thats how less of an impact smoking weed has on people. the evidence is there to support the legalization of pot but the bogus war on drugs would be shown for the froud it was if the gave in now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

there is a big difference between driving drunk and driving stoned. How many times a year does some die in a drinking related car crash? Now go crunch the same number for people being high and look at the difference. Smoking weed has not caused nearly as many deaths as drinking driving its not even in the same ball park, the same game, he ll its not even in the same league as drinking and driving. seriously go look at the numbers and you see how big of a difference there is between the two. At this point smoking pot should be legal thats how less of an impact smoking weed has on people. the evidence is there to support the legalization of pot but the bogus war on drugs would be shown for the froud it was if the gave in now.
    Posted by MVPkilla

Really? Correlate the numbers and adjust for the frequency. More drunk drivers equates to more accidents involving drunk drivers. It doesn't mean people driving stoned get into less accidents. It means there are less people driving stoned than drunk. You need to compare the number of people driving stoned to the number of accidents they get into as a percentage in order to make a meaningful statistical comparison. You can't just compare number of accidents.

I wonder - had Stallworth been driving stoned (He may well have been for all we know. The BAC isn't a measure of THC.) and killed the guy, would you still be up at arms about his sentence or would you be saying that it was just an accident because driving stoned is OK?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Manslaughter =24 days in jail, 1000 hrs of CS, 10 years probation  Dog fighting/business = 18 months in jail  Cat killing in Florida = 158 years max sentence only in America
    Posted by Harleyroadking111

Maximum sentence if convicted:

Vehicular Homicide while DUI, 1 count: 15 years.

Animal Cruelty, 19 counts; Improperly disposing of animal, 19 counts; Burglary, 4 counts: 158 years 

Conspiracy (From the Travel Act), 5 years; Dogfighting, 1 year: 6 years total

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankdawop. Show frankdawop's posts

So if I'm drunk, and I drive and hit someone who was jaywalking, kill them, get arrested, and get a  light sentence from the court; should I then be fired from my job and not allowed to work in my career again?

I'm just trying to figure out how you guys are going from "A" to "B" to "C" ... and also what does one thing have to do with the other, other than public opinion ...

Dont get me wrong, I'm not making excuses for him, I would never condone drunk driving. In this day and age with all the information and technology we have, there is NO EXCUSE for getting behind the wheel of a vehicle while drunk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

Manslaughter =24 days in jail, 1000 hrs of CS, 10 years probation  Dog fighting/business = 18 months in jail  Cat killing in Florida = 158 years max sentence only in America

I 100% agree with this statement. I want to have faith in the justice system... I do. Things like this certainly don't help.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

So sadly true. Of course, there are groups like PETA who would kill five people to save the life of a pig. Just shows how crazy people are here in this country.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Eroot, if it was found that Stallworth was stoned when he hit that man and that in being stoned slowed his reactiong time and killed the man he killed then yes I would still be up in arms about his light sentence. The fact is if I got busted for the same exact crime I would be sent to jail for up to 15 years and jail with out a second thought but because stallworth had the money to make everything right in the eyes of teh family and because the familys wishes were taken into account he was able to buy his way out of a 15 year jail sentence. And thats why i am up in arms because people like me would be doomed in that situation and im sorry but justice should be blind and all people should be judged on the same level and this just proves that justice is not blind and some people get off light while others get the max and its bull sh*t.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

In some southern states there are "dry counties"; you can drink and drive, but if you get caught it's murder one and you could get the chair or, you know, raped by Bronco Bill the burly prison pedophile. Both Vick and and Stallworth got off lightly and I expect then to remain multi-millionaire ex-cons while a significant portion of law-abiding American citizens lose their jobs.

"America has a problem, the problem is called slavery. They solve it by entertaining the slaves"--- The always un-PC Oscar Wilde

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Eroot, if it was found that Stallworth was stoned when he hit that man and that in being stoned slowed his reactiong time and killed the man he killed then yes I would still be up in arms about his light sentence. The fact is if I got busted for the same exact crime I would be sent to jail for up to 15 years and jail with out a second thought but because stallworth had the money to make everything right in the eyes of teh family and because the familys wishes were taken into account he was able to buy his way out of a 15 year jail sentence. And thats why i am up in arms because people like me would be doomed in that situation and im sorry but justice should be blind and all people should be judged on the same level and this just proves that justice is not blind and some people get off light while others get the max and its bull sh*t.
    Posted by MVPkilla

What don't people understand about a maximum sentence? It is the maximum that can be applied if convicted but there are many mitigating factors that would lead a judge to make it less. If you are plea bargaining, you should get less. Now, if you did the same thing as Stallworth and ACTED the same way, you could also plea bargain. You would likely not get what he got, but you certainly wouldn't get 15 years. Especially with no prior history. Stallworth was lucky in that the family didn't want a trial. (I read that was for the daughter's sake, but I am not 100% certain.) 

Someone posted above an illegitimate comparison of sentences. Look beneath it and see how many counts the kid in FL has against him. I believe it is 42 each with a few years per charge. So if he is convicted on all charges and they run consecutively he could get 158 years. It doesn't mean he will get 158 years. It just means he could. Vick had two charges against him the greater one being 5 years for conspiracy. He could have had a total of 6 years in jail, but he got 23 months. 

In the hypothetical, why does it need to be proven that the marijuana impaired his driving? I don't believe the law distinguishes between the two when it comes to driving impaired, I.E. The penalty is the same if you are driving under the influence of either. So, even if marijuana was legalized, it would still be a no no to drive while under the influence of it.

You make it sound that if he was stoned and killed the guy then you'd be OK with the lighter sentence because you don't believe it is an impairment. Just clarifying.

Sections
Shortcuts