Donte Stallworth to plead guilty in accident

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Donte Stallworth to plead guilty in accident

From espn.com:

MIAMI -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth has agreed to plead guilty to a DUI manslaughter charge and would do some jail time for a Miami car crash in which a pedestrian was struck and killed, authorities said Monday.

Stallworth, 28, is scheduled to appear Tuesday in a Miami courtroom to enter the plea. If accepted by Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy, Stallworth would serve a short jail sentence for the March 14 crash, followed by lengthy probation and numerous conditions, Terry Chavez, spokeswoman for the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office, told The Associated Press.

Miami Beach police said Stallworth was drinking at a bar in the swank Fountainebleu hotel. He left to go to a nearby home -- he owns three properties in the Miami area -- and then headed out in his black 2005 Bentley on MacArthur Causeway, which links the beach to downtown Miami.

Prosecutors say Stallworth hit 59-year-old Mario Reyes, a construction crane operator who was rushing to catch a bus after finishing his shift around 7:15 a.m. Stallworth told police he flashed his lights in an attempt to warn Reyes, who was not in a crosswalk when he was struck.

Chavez said Reyes' family has been pushing hard to resolve the case.

"We have been in intense negotiations for the past couple of days," Chavez said. "We always take the victim's wishes into account."

Stallworth had faced up to 15 years in prison on the DUI manslaughter charge, but the plea deal calls for far less time. Chavez would not provide details on the penalties, nor would Stallworth attorney Christopher Lyons.

"There is a plea agreement and it's going to be presented to the judge," Lyons said.

Stallworth had a blood-alcohol level of .126 after the crash, well above Florida's .08 limit. He had previously pleaded not guilty and Lyons initially pledged to mount a vigorous defense.

But Stallworth has also has cooperated with investigators and issued a statement shortly after the crash expressing sympathy for Reyes' family.

"He's shown remorse and taken responsibility from day one," Chavez said.

Stallworth stopped after the crash and immediately told officers he had hit Reyes. Police estimated Stallworth was driving about 50 mph in a 40 mph zone.

Stallworth signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns before last season but was injured much of the year. He also has played for New England, Philadelphia and New Orleans.

The National Football League has said it will review the matter for possible disciplinary action after the legal case is completed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jvacca. Show jvacca's posts

Re: Donte Stallworth to plead guilty in accident

You would think some one with that much money would have taken a taxi go to one of his three properties.  Obviously very little common sense. 

I feel sorry for the family of the man that was killed.  Dante..Dante..whey did you have to go "Plaxico" on us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc686. Show jc686's posts

Plaxico....lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I'm glad that the NFL will be doing their usual best to look into making an example of Donte. I don't think he should be allowed to play in the NFL again for taking a human life and I'm sure that all those looking to ban Michael Vick from the NFL for his crimes would agree with me.

I am sorry for the family of Mario Reyes. Drinking and driving is a choice and Donte chose to drive when he was clearly well over the limit.

BTW jvacca Plax is just a dope who shot himself. Donte killed someone. You may want to cite a different "role model".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Either way, both were in possession of a "deadly weapon". Though Plaxico did not kill anyone, there can be no doubt he had the weapon "with intent to injure", should he deem himself in need to do so. Myself, I hope neither ever plays again. If, as the commissioner has stated, it is a priveledge to play in the NFL, I'd say these two (and others) have disqualified themselves by their actions. If these guys are allowed to return it will set a bad example to the kids looking to play in the future. As far as Burress goes, it seems to me like he's playing the system with this continuance. I hope Goodell suspends him for the 09 season. Innocent until proven guilty or not, his wound is proof enough he was in violation of the law. Such charges would prevent regular people from many job opportunities, why should these guys get a free pass?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

You would think some one with that much money would have taken a taxi go to one of his three properties.  Obviously very little common sense.  I feel sorry for the family of the man that was killed.  Dante..Dante..whey did you have to go "Plaxico" on us.
    Posted by jvacca

Taxi? If I had his money I'd be in a limo. But then if you ride in the back of a taxi or limo the chicks can't see you cruising in your Bentley.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I dont think any of these guys should be allowed to play in the NFL again. Plaxico, Pacman Jones, Stallworth, L. Little, Mike Vick none of them. people act like they miss these guys, give me a break. There are plenty of good players in the NFL we dont need these guys. I think these type of people have no place in the NFL and I think as soon as they get banned there will be three more guys waiting to take their place. No one will miss these guys, Are the Giants a better team with Plaxico? Yup, but do they need him to move forward? Nope and the same goes for anyone. I would rather watch a bunch of run of the mill football players then watch guys like this. But that is not the case, if these guys were all banned we would still have plenty of super stars to go around and more coming with every draft so I dont get why its such a hard choice to make, if you s crew up big time see you later we dont need you in the league. Its that simple. Stallworth killed a man, and he will serve his time and get a second chance at life once he is out of jail but why should he get a second chance at NFL money? Is it not good enough that he gets a second chance at a normal life he has to be a super star? forget it, he is replaceable just like Vick and everyone else so ban them all for life.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

But then if you ride in the back of a taxi or limo the chicks can't see you cruising in your Bentley.

I used to live in Miami. The bars are full of loose women who are more than happy to do whatever with guys like that. With his money he could have picked up a whole crew of s l u t s at the bar and be too busy in the limo to worry about who saw him!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

But instead he killed a man.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Airmanflight23. Show Airmanflight23's posts

30 day!!!???  Are you freaking kidding me. Wow just wow. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

This is upsetting, the guy killed a human being and he gets 30 days in jail? You get 30 days in jail for missing a court date when they issue a bench warrant and its a slap on the wrist. I thought he would be doing some real time but instead he agreed to pay the family off and get off light what a joke. So remember kids it is ok to get drunk and kill someone while driving drunk so long as you have money and talent. if you dont have either then you are going to jail so you better start singing ot dancing or playing sports now if you like to booze it up. What a joke.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

This is upsetting, the guy killed a human being and he gets 30 days in jail? You get 30 days in jail for missing a court date when they issue a bench warrant and its a slap on the wrist. I thought he would be doing some real time but instead he agreed to pay the family off and get off light what a joke. So remember kids it is ok to get drunk and kill someone while driving drunk so long as you have money and talent. if you dont have either then you are going to jail so you better start singing ot dancing or playing sports now if you like to booze it up. What a joke.
    Posted by MVPkilla

you're right .. we should sentence all american soldiers to lengthy prison terms unless they can prove that the enemy troop shot at them first. Oh wait .. those are extenuating circumstances.....  like this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Are you drunk right now? That is not the same thing what so ever. First of all if a soldier kills a inocent civilan while being drunk he should be sent to jail and he would be sent to jail. If a soldier kills a man in combat, kills another soldier its war not murder. If I was at war and I got drunk and during my rounds i heard a sound and got jumpy and opened fire only to fidn out that i shot a 59 year old man cross the street on his way home from work then yes i should be sent to jail. Like teh American soldier who r aped the girl in Iraq, he was just sent to jail for what he did and he should have been sent to jail because its not ok to r ape anyone ever for any reason. We dont send troops over to war so they can get drunk and make mistakes so if they do they should be charged with a crime. Now if a sober soldier killed a inocent civilan by mistake that is different because he was not impeared he just made a horrible mistake. Him being drunk would be the X factor.

Sections
Shortcuts