Dowling at safety?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Dowling at safety?

Anyone think he might have been drafted to play there given his size or maybe Bodden moves to safety and Dowling and McCourtey will be the corners. I remember BB drafted Eugene Wilson who was a CB and moved him to FS when he was a rookie. Though in this day and age of the NFL with all the multiple receiver sets, you need at least 3 starting caliber CB's. BUT I have a feeling that Merriweather is in BB's doghouse. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: Dowling at safety?

Meriweather isn't in BB's doghouse. He got sat some at the start of the season but in the end still saw more plays than any other safety.

Dowling will be a corner.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

I don't think he's a safety.  He has excellent speed (ran a 4.40 while pulling up at the end with a hammy injury at the combine and a 4.37-4.42 at his pro day), and good hips despite his height.  Eugene Wilson ran a 4.48 with a 1.60 ten yard split.  Dowling's 10 yard split was 1.47.  He should do well in press coverage and against taller more physical recievers.  He also has very good ball skills. 
    The Patriots are already deep at safety and thin at CB so he was definitely drafted to play CB.  Last year they were lining up Chung as a nickelback, not an ideal situation.  As much as people on this board hate on Merriweather, he is going to be a starting safety this year along with Chung.  Sanders and a combo of Page and McGowan will back them up.  I don't think this would cause them to draft another safety at the top of the second round.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In Response to Dowling at safety?:
    Anyone think he might have been drafted to play there given his size or maybe Bodden moves to safety and Dowling and McCourtey will be the corners. I remember BB drafted Eugene Wilson who was a CB and moved him to FS when he was a rookie. Though in this day and age of the NFL with all the multiple receiver sets, you need at least 3 starting caliber CB's. BUT I have a feeling that Merriweather is in BB's doghouse. Thoughts?
    Posted by Homecheese

I think you are very close to the reality of the situation. Dowling is a very good insurance policy all around, First Sanders may be traded this year for picks due to his high cap for a back up (2.5 Mill) and the fact that he may bring a third rd. pick in return. Second Merriweather will be a free agent next year and most likely will be looking for more cash than the Pats will be willing to pay(I do not think the franchise tag will be available for him because it will go to mankins again to allow time to work out his long term deal). Third it gives the team the flexability to move either Dowling or Bodden to safety in the event of the above senarios. So the drafting of Dowling helps cover a couple possible roster changes that may be happening in the next year

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

He's absolutely a CB and that's a good thing.  With his size and speed it's a rare commodity to find someone like this who can play CB.  Besides the Pat's have about four safetys that I like.  Why mess with that. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

NO I FORGOT WE NEED A SAFTEY BECAUSE NUMBER 31 is the worst safety int he nfl.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Dowling at safety?:
    Posted by Homecheese

Dowling gets work at corner. I recall reading that in the ideal situation one nof the other guys actualyl moves inside to nickel. 

For the record, Solder will be working at LT this spring ... so we could gleen from that that Light might not be getting an offer. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Size,speed,solid tackler,good ball skills,smart and a commtted work ethic.Look for him at CB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

The only thing I look for this kid to do is stay healthy. He has yet to prove he can do that, even in college. I will say with his natural size and ability is will give BB a lot more options to play with. Go Pats!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

You must be kidding. BB has his 1st rounder Merriweather and his 2nd rounder Chung at safety. One could not possibly ask for a better tandem, could they?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I heard an interview with Dowling's college coach. The coach basically said to look for Ra-I on the outside. Not at safety and prolly not at nickle.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Dowling at safety?:
    I heard an interview with Dowling's college coach. The coach basically said to look for Ra-I on the outside. Not at safety and prolly not at nickle.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

He is too big to really play nickel, although he could in a pinch. But it would be a mistmatch with slot-type WRs.

It would be wasteful to put him at safety when NE already has a set of three safeties, two of whom are very good. 

I think, and it's just a hunch based on their different abilities, that Devin McCourty would get bumped inside. He is the most fluid corner NE has, whereas both Bodden and Dowling are better press matchups.

That is, of course, if Dowling is healthy enough to play and good enough to make the NFL transition.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Merriweather, Chung start the season at safety.  Sanders. Page and McGowan (one of these three is cut or traded) keep getting mentioned but Barrett will be their third safety and by mid-season could be a starter. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In Response to Re: Dowling at safety? : He is too big to really play nickel, although he could in a pinch.
    Posted by zbellino

BB has been looking to play a big nickel for awhile.  Ras-I gives BB the speed to cover someone and the hitting ability to play the run.  Take out a linebacker whenever Peyton Manning has second and long, and put the nickel in earlier.  Then on third and long try a big dime, maybe.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I could see Dowling in there to cover the likes of Dallas Clark and Antonio Gates.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Dowling at safety? : BB has been looking to play a big nickel for awhile.  Ras-I gives BB the speed to cover someone and the hitting ability to play the run.  Take out a linebacker whenever Peyton Manning has second and long, and put the nickel in earlier.  Then on third and long try a big dime, maybe.
    Posted by Paul_K

BB already does play big nickel. He did during the last decade as well.

Let's not confuse things here. Big nickel is a running down package and isn't suited to covering slot guys. If NE goes into big nickel, either McCourty, Bodden or Dowling comes off the field for a safety. The big nickel safety is Chung. 
    It's meant for matching with 2-TE and power-I sets that feature good pass catching options at either TE or FB.

NE use this whenever the Colts bring a second TE on for instance. 

Regular nickel, where the slot will be charged with covering someone like Cotchery, Harvin (when he is lined over the slot) or Amendola. The safety would get shredded there, and they would likely opt for their most flexible and quickest corner, who is McCourty in that  situation. 

It's possible Dowling sees time there early, but in the end, you don't want a big corner like him trying to sift through trash and keep up with a guy  you can't jam and is very quick footed ... because it isn't his strong suit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

ZB, would you bring in Dowling on 3rd and long to cover pass catching TE's like Clark?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Meriweather isn't in BB's doghouse. He got sat some at the start of the season but in the end still saw more plays than any other safety. Dowling will be a corner.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

I believe his playing time increased due to injuries at Saftey (Chung) and then as well w issues at CB - Chung would play CB in ceratin coverages as Wheatley and Wilhite were injured and Butler couldn't handle the job well enough.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

I think BB finally grabbed a big, strong CB and not to put him at safety.

please don't tebucky him!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nathan-ndeira. Show nathan-ndeira's posts

I wouldn't be surprised if Bodden Played left corner, Dowling plays Right corner, haveing 2 big and physical corners on the outside will definately help against taller receivers. I think Devin could get pushed inside because of how fluid he is he can take on the slot recievers which will cause the Qb to look elsewhere. This will also allow Chung to play safety and blitz. Re-sign Kyle Arrington and get him to play inside with McCourty to me this gives the Patriots a great secondary. we can rotate guys at safety in sub-packages. It will also help the pass rush because Qb's will need more time to throw the ball. I think BB will be able to blitz more with a great looking secondary.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

ZB, would you bring in Dowling on 3rd and long to cover pass catching TE's like Clark?
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

I don't think so, but it's possible. 

The point of my post is that defense, big nickel, small nickle, whatever, is all about matchups. Just saying you jam Dowling in at nick because he is green doesn't mean it works that way, just like saying, well he is tall so make it big nickel, doesn't mean it works that way either. 

If you are expecting Dowling to be at his best against a slot guy who works at knife fighting range for his paycheck, underneath, and two yards apart of the snap (you can't properly jam a slot because they are offset) then you'll likely be disappointed. But jamming isn't a huge part of McCourty's game, and he is quicker/more fluid than Dowling.

That is just my impression. 

Against a TE, well, I don't think a 6'1" 198 lb guy is going to disrupt a 245-260 lb TE very well. I also think McGowan and Chung can do this fairly well ... which is the point of big nickel IMO.

You don't always get the ideal matchup, but getting your best possible matchups is important. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

What is Dowling's injury history? I know he was hurt last year, but is that it?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In Response to Dowling at safety? : I think you are very close to the reality of the situation. Dowling is a very good insurance policy all around, First Sanders may be traded this year for picks due to his high cap for a back up (2.5 Mill) and the fact that he may bring a third rd. pick in return. Second Merriweather will be a free agent next year and most likely will be looking for more cash than the Pats will be willing to pay(I do not think the franchise tag will be available for him because it will go to mankins again to allow time to work out his long term deal). Third it gives the team the flexability to move either Dowling or Bodden to safety in the event of the above senarios. So the drafting of Dowling helps cover a couple possible roster changes that may be happening in the next year
    Posted by part-timer

Agree with most of what you say except for 1 key point. There is NO WAY James Sanders would bring a 3rd round pick in a trade!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Maybe not this year but next I see Bodden moving to FS.  He's turning 30 this year be 31 next (2012) season.  At FS he will extend his career.  Guy has good speed size and cover skills oh and can lay down the wood.

Sections
Shortcuts