Dowling to IR.... again.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Dowling to IR.... again.

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Good point mthurl...FA is the other missing piece. I agree that we haven't done well in FA less a few guys like waters, Lloyd, etc. the majority have not worked out. Again, this goes to the value discussion...I admit, BB has done a masterful job in the salary cap department, but one wonders if we could have made a few more splashes more in FA or the draft how great this team could be. 

Heshould have paid for red Bryant and gholdson. Those would be difference makers. 

My hope is we have a you g team overall, and they continue to evolve, that what we see now is what wE are not going to get in week 10, 12, etc. 

Alright there is two. I knew there had to be some, but I really couldn't think of them. We were roughly 30 million under the cap this off season - we are still between 5-7 million under it now - and one of those two guys you mentioned is gone...the other is servicable (nothing special). Why are we under the cap by 7 million this year? Why were we 7 million under it last year? WE are not the Bengals. We are in a major media market and we have a hall of fame quarterback - we should of been going all in the last three years...not acting like we are the last place team in the league.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Good point mthurl...FA is the other missing piece. I agree that we haven't done well in FA less a few guys like waters, Lloyd, etc. the majority have not worked out. Again, this goes to the value discussion...I admit, BB has done a masterful job in the salary cap department, but one wonders if we could have made a few more splashes more in FA or the draft how great this team could be. 

Heshould have paid for red Bryant and gholdson. Those would be difference makers. 

My hope is we have a you g team overall, and they continue to evolve, that what we see now is what wE are not going to get in week 10, 12, etc. 

Alright there is two. I knew there had to be some, but I really couldn't think of them. We were roughly 30 million under the cap this off season - we are still between 5-7 million under it now - and one of those two guys you mentioned is gone...the other is servicable (nothing special). Why are we under the cap by 7 million this year? Why were we 7 million under it last year? WE are not the Bengals. We are in a major media market and we have a hall of fame quarterback - we should of been going all in the last three years...not acting like we are the last place team in the league.

I agree, 7 million is far to much cushion under the cap...

Thats another borderline probowl player that could be signed. There is no good reason for the Pats to not have spent that money improving this roster, or a good 5 million of it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to vertigho's comment:

Barring a big-time turnaround, it appears as if he is going to end up as another wasted 2nd-round pick.

Has looked very good when he has been on the field, but for some reason the coaching staff doesn't want to play him, and he can't stay healthy.

'Tis a shame.

I hated the pick when BB made it for this very reason. Stop picking 'well rounded' corners who can 'tackle well,' stop grabbing injured kids who 'show promise.'

Just grab the corner who a.) can cover, and b.) is healthy. 

BB does so, so much well. 

But it seems like he doesn't have a clue what makes a good NFL CB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[/QUOTE]

I agree, 7 million is far to much cushion under the cap...

Thats another borderline probowl player that could be signed. There is no good reason for the Pats to not have spent that money improving this roster, or a good 5 million of it.

[/QUOTE]

That's two years in a row, why? The window is closing on Tom's career and it's a good idea to not spend 14 million over the last two seasons? A couple of years ago it was said that Kraft was worried about money because Patriot Place was suffering in revenue due to the economy and the fact that a lot of people don't go or shop there during the week...that can't be it, can it? I mean, I can't see 7 million making too much of a difference in the grand scheme of things regarding the Disney Land that is Patriot Place. I'll tell you what though, I'd be real worried about that place after Brady retires - it's huge down there - tough to support something that big if the main reason it's there is a football team that plays 8 home games.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

That's two years in a row, why? The window is closing on Tom's career and it's a good idea to not spend 14 million over the last two seasons? A couple of years ago it was said that Kraft was worried about money because Patriot Place was suffering in revenue due to the economy and the fact that a lot of people don't go or shop there during the week...that can't be it, can it? I mean, I can't see 7 million making too much of a difference in the grand scheme of things regarding the Disney Land that is Patriot Place. I'll tell you what though, I'd be real worried about that place after Brady retires - it's huge down there - tough to support something that big if the main reason it's there is a football team that plays 8 home games.  

I often wonder if BB will retire at the same time (maybe even before) Brady, or if he would want to "prove" that he can win it all with a different QB (Gibbs, Parcells and Seifert are the only multiple Super Bowl winners with multiple starting QBs - side note: I still think Gibbs three championships with three QBs is a feat that will not be repeated). 

If Brady's window has not started to close yet (people can argue about that seperately), it definitely is not going to be open forever. This team has had one of the top five QBs in the NFL for 12 seasons now, that it is going to be hard to replicate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

I often wonder if BB will retire at the same time (maybe even before) Brady, or if he would want to "prove" that he can win it all with a different QB (Gibbs, Parcells and Seifert are the only multiple Super Bowl winners with multiple starting QBs - side note: I still think Gibbs three championships with three QBs is a feat that will not be repeated). 

If Brady's window has not started to close yet (people can argue about that seperately), it definitely is not going to be open forever. This team has had one of the top five QBs in the NFL for 12 seasons now, that it is going to be hard to replicate.

I agree and I don't understand why people have failed to see that. The NFL is a lonely place if you don't have a qb and we've had that luxury for 12 years plus. I wonder how bad this defense could potentially be if Belichick wasn't coaching it...could you imagine?

I don't want to picture this football team without Brady or Belichick, I really think as it is constructed right now they would look earily similar to the early 90's years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I agree with a previous poster that the Pats/BB were just looking for an excuse to put this guy on IR. 

Maybe he's just not getting it and he needs more time.  They may think he's more of a liability on the field than anything.  Although how he could be more of a liability than any of the other db's on the team is the question. He must be pretty bad. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

I agree with a previous poster that the Pats/BB were just looking for an excuse to put this guy on IR. 

Maybe he's just not getting it and he needs more time.  They may think he's more of a liability on the field than anything.  Although how he could be more of a liability than any of the other db's on the team is the question. He must be pretty bad. 

If they are putting him in IR because he still cannot play in the NFL is that better or worse than him being injured?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I agree and I don't understand why people have failed to see that. The NFL is a lonely place if you don't have a qb and we've had that luxury for 12 years plus. I wonder how bad this defense could potentially be if Belichick wasn't coaching it...could you imagine?

I don't want to picture this football team without Brady or Belichick, I really think as it is constructed right now they would look earily similar to the early 90's years.

I try not to think about it... It has been nearly 20 years since this team had back to back losing seasons... Even Carroll's worst year was 8-8. We have forgotten what it is like to have a non-competitive team week-to-week. It sucks...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Wow and here I was thinking the 15 point per game average we scored in the last 2 Super bowls was the reason we don't have lombardi #4 or #5. You know, down from the 36 and 34 ppg average they had in those respective seasons? I guess our secondary was getting shredded in these SB's and I just don't remember it?

And yes I agree BB like 31 other GM's has flaws. Undeniable.

Wrong, the reason we didn't win the Super Bowl was not because of our secondary, but because we didn't use our hall of fame running back more...Ben Jarvus Green Ellis. Bawahahahahahaha!!

No, any RB would do. Benny and his 4.5 ypc in the Ravens and Ginats afc, and SB game was good enough to use, if not then why did BB have him as his lead RB for 2 years?

1,700 yards and 24 rushing tds over 2 years averaging 10 carries per game is pretty good....to sane sports fans. Only a few spoiled misguided Pats fans would ever think otherwise.

Oh but you have no problem with a 3-1 pass to run ration that lead to 15.5 ppg in 2 SB's?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

You must be right. We obviously should have paid 90 million to Mario Williams, and 50 million to Ladarius Webb. Look what that would have done for us. Besides depth isn't important in the most dangerous sport in the world.

You continue to show your limited understanding of what BB has built in New England.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

If they are putting him in IR because he still cannot play in the NFL is that better or worse than him being injured?

No difference I guess.  That's the point.  He's not very good and he's not very durable.  But neither is Chung or most of the other db's.  Some of the new guys look like they have potential.  Wilson, Dennard, McCourty (at Safety) hopefully they continue to get better and not regress.  Not matter what others say, I still think McCourty is the best db out there.  Whether at corner or safety.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

You must be right. We obviously should have paid 90 million to Mario Williams, and 50 million to Ladarius Webb. Look what that would have done for us. Besides depth isn't important in the most dangerous sport in the world.

You continue to show your limited understanding of what BB has built in New England.

Are you saying depth is or is not important? The defensive backfield only has depth because the back-ups are just as bad as the starters. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Wait, maybe Duane Starks is available. Shoot! I guess we already tried that.

Are you saying depth is or is not important? The defensive backfield only has depth because the back-ups are just as bad as the starters. 

I am saying depth is the most important aspect of team building. BB's words not mine. He has always been about signing mid grade guys that are coachable and have good work ethic then siging a big name FA every year. It is this very reason why we have won more games then any team in NFL history over a 12 year period.

What would have happened if we signed the highly coveted FA's I mentioned above? We would be SOL, just like the Bills are and soon to be Ravens are. We have young talent and I think this defense gets better as the year goes on just like every BB coached team always does.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

OK, so exactly WHAT injury does Dowling have? If Im right when you go in IR, you can still be reactivated after 8 games or something? WHat is the scoop on this whole situation?

Honestly we just need to have Gregory and CHung back, both healthy......with them at safety and McCourty and Dennard(He IS going to be real good without question, just give him some games under his belt)at the Corners, Im actually still OK with out secondary.

Yeah the secondary SUCS now, no question.....but if the offense can just do enough till the secondary clicks like at the end of last year, our secondary was actually more than decent and played solid( just in case you guys forgot).

I like Dennard, Gregory and Chung......McCourty though...........Im not too sure, too many times he plays scared, never turns his head or plays the ball, just flails away at the reciever like a Forrest Gump........

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wow and here I was thinking the 15 point per game average we scored in the last 2 Super bowls was the reason we don't have lombardi #4 or #5. You know, down from the 36 and 34 ppg average they had in those respective seasons? I guess our secondary was getting shredded in these SB's and I just don't remember it?

Wrong, the reason we didn't win the Super Bowl was not because of our secondary, but because we didn't use our hall of fame running back more...Ben Jarvus Green Ellis. Bawahahahahahaha!!

No, any RB would do. Benny and his 4.5 ypc in the Ravens and Ginats afc, and SB game was good enough to use, if not then why did BB have him as his lead RB for 2 years?

1,700 yards and 24 rushing tds over 2 years averaging 10 carries per game is pretty good....to sane sports fans. Only a few spoiled misguided Pats fans would ever think otherwise.

Oh but you have no problem with a 3-1 pass to run ration that lead to 15.5 ppg in 2 SB's?

Yeah I hate to break this to you, but when your lead running back gains an average of 850 yards per season - over the course of two seasons in this offense...when nobody is keying in on stopping him, that's not very impressive. There were 47 runners in the NFL last year that had a better ypc average...think about that for a second. And out of all the lead running backs last season he was 27th in yardage. I don't think very highly of his touchdown totals either - it's not a big deal when he's running it three times from the one yard line. I'm not impressed with his production against Denver or Baltimore in the playoffs either...Denver stunk and Baltimore was trying to stop Brady. I watched us attempt to run it during the Super Bowl, any momentum we got was killed by this guy. How do you think Cincy is liking this signing right now?

•  

I am saying depth is the most important aspect of team building. BB's words not mine. He has always been about signing mid grade guys that are coachable and have good work ethic then siging a big name FA every year. It is this very reason why we have won more games then any team in NFL history over a 12 year period.

What would have happened if we signed the highly coveted FA's I mentioned above? We would be SOL, just like the Bills are and soon to be Ravens are. We have young talent and I think this defense gets better as the year goes on just like every BB coached team always does.

Even if this defense gets better as the year goes along, the chances are pretty slim that they secondary becomes even average. At the end of last season, people where high on Sterling Moore, but now he cannot get on the field again even with all the other guys out. We have been going through so many safeties and cornerbacks over the last five seasons. There has been a revolving door back there since Harrison and Samuel left. I see no reason to believe that this group is going to be signicantly better than the last few years groups...

The real issue is consistency and experience at position that is becoming more, not less, important in a passing league. This is the third year of McCourty, Chung and Arrington starting together if they were going to turn into a top flight secondary, wouldn't you think it would be happening by now. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

No one said overpaying for fa's. There is a difference. What BB has built is great overall. No one can argue with thecontinued success..it's just better drafting of secondary players and a few key FA signingsmake the difference. 

I agree depth is important in this league and has been a staple of our team for years - the difference here is what we used to have capable starters...followed by good depth. WE don't have that now - we have starting safeties that might not even been our backups before. We have starting corners that would of been our depth before and are not any better than our "depth" now. Those mid level free agents you are talking about aren't here anymore - we whifed on these guys...Gallery, Fenene, Gregory, Addai, Gonzalez, Gaffney, Stallworth, Haynesworth, Ocho, Ellis...those were our mid level guys!! We don't have any high level free agent signings.

I'm tired of hearing we are spoiled and this defense is being rebuilt, we can't expect Rodney Harrisons back there. It's been five years of bad defense around here. It's been five years of watching Tom Brady save this team. We had 30 million to spend this off season. We've had more draft selections than anyone in the league in that span as well. 

Yeah I hate to break this to you, but when your lead running back gains an average of 850 yards per season - over the course of two seasons in this offense...when nobody is keying in on stopping him, that's not very impressive. There were 47 runners in the NFL last year that had a better ypc average...think about that for a second. And out of all the lead running backs last season he was 27th in yardage. I don't think very highly of his touchdown totals either - it's not a big deal when he's running it three times from the one yard line. I'm not impressed with his production against Denver or Baltimore in the playoffs either...Denver stunk and Baltimore was trying to stop Brady. I watched us attempt to run it during the Super Bowl, any momentum we got was killed by this guy. How do you think Cincy is liking this signing right now?

What you refuse to accept is that he only averaged just over 10 carries per game. He had turf toe last year and struggled but got healthy come playoff time. I don't think the guy is a world beater as he was an undrafted FA which backs up my position that the run game was an after thought in N.E for years.

Going by his stats if you double this undrafted FA's carries for the last 2 years he has 720 carries for 3,400 yards and 48 tds....going by the numbers of course. He might not have been able to handle that type of Arian Foster(another UDFA) workload but then again we will never know because we chose to throw as much as we did.

Hence the offensive philosophical failure. You just don't get it. Insert any RB on our roster who doesn't turn the ball over and he does well, because every team is scared of a 2-1 pass to run ratio when you have 1 of the best QB's to ever live throwing the ball. The problem is we never tried.

Enter Mcd and in 2 games we set the Patriot team record for offensive plays in back to back games....remarkable. If defense's have to focus on stopping the run as well as the pass then I say they are dead in the water as Brady will eat them alive.

I just hope McD stays the course and doesn't read remarks by guys like you on this website.

•  

What you refuse to accept is that he only averaged just over 10 carries per game. He had turf toe last year and struggled but got healthy come playoff time. I don't think the guy is a world beater as he was an undrafted FA which backs up my position that the run game was an after thought in N.E for years.

Going by his stats if you double this undrafted FA's carries for the last 2 years he has 720 carries for 3,400 yards and 48 tds....going by the numbers of course. He might not have been able to handle that type of Arian Foster(another UDFA) workload but then again we will never know because we chose to throw as much as we did.

Hence the offensive philosophical failure. You just don't get it. Insert any RB on our roster who doesn't turn the ball over and he does well, because every team is scared of a 2-1 pass to run ratio when you have 1 of the best QB's to ever live throwing the ball. The problem is we never tried.

Enter Mcd and in 2 games we set the Patriot team record for offensive plays in back to back games....remarkable. If defense's have to focus on stopping the run as well as the pass then I say they are dead in the water as Brady will eat them alive.

I just hope McD stays the course and doesn't read remarks by guys like you on this website.

I think Bill Belichick coming out and saying the reason he didn't run the ball more last year was personel related is enough evidence for me, but if it wasn't enough then watching Benny get more oppurtunities this year puts the icing on the cake. I haven't check the weekly injury report on Benny, but I'm willing to bet he doesn't have "turf toe" anymore, yet he still is only ranked 17th overall in rushing yards and 47th in yards per carry average (a true indicator of how effective a running back is).  

•  

Number of plays? that is basically just running a fast break offense. The are still a 4-3 team. Good defenses have been able to slow down this offense enough to stay in the game, until the Jets game they offense not delivered a score when it had to late in game.

I am not sure where your 2-1 pass to run ratio comes from they threw the ball less aout 60% of the time last year. That would be a 3-2 ratio. I know people on these boards think they throw all the time, but their 59.40% pass play percentage put them 14th (pretty much middle of the pack) in the NFL. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts