Draft: 1st Round Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Re: Draft: 1st Round Thread

How about Mayo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Pats gave up their 93rd and 126th overall picks as the price for their trade-ups. They still own the 48th and 63rd overall selections.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In Response to Re: Draft: 1st Round Thread:
         Pats gave up their 93rd and 126th overall picks as the price for their trade-ups. They still own the 48th and 63rd overall selections.
    Posted by TexasPat

I can Def live with that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Posted by TexasPat

3rd and 4th round would have been depth picks - they already acquired depth via free agency - I hope they make both 2nd round picks - no need to trade down for depth this year

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Isn't  Jones the DE in the nickel package?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

i will go crazy if the pats can get devon still in the second round.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Draft: 1st Round Thread : Of the players available - who would you have liked better?
    Posted by qball369

Mercilus or Upshaw. I saw Jones as a boom or bust kind of player. 

I don't hate the pick, it just makes me nervous that he won't contribute this year, or that he won't be able to push people around in the NFL the same way he did in the BIG East.

In the end, though ... the pick is solid. He's raw, but a ton of people thought very highly of him. And I certainly see his triangle numbers, and frame that could take more weight, really as world class potential.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Remember what Mayock said in his mock draft:

"The Bears cannot believe Chandler Jones has fallen to them. The general public might not know a lot about him, but my view is -- and I'll take a lot of heat for this -- three years from now, he might be the best defensive player to come out of this draft."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Holy smokes.  I was switching back and forth between the Draft and the Red Sox and BAM, I see that BB trades Down to #21 for Jones which was great.  So I went back to the RS Game to wait for 31.  

I switch channels again and BAM, the Patriots are sitting on the clock at 25 and grab Hightower.  I like this one too.

And the Red Sox are about to win their 4th in a row including a Grand Slam by Youkilis.

It doesn't get much better than this.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Draft: 1st Round Thread : Be interesting to see how the rotation works out between Nink, Mayo,Spikes,Hightower, and jones.
    Posted by xXR3S1NXx

Nink might get pushed to the bench.

Don't forget. NE ran more 43 under last season than they have in years, using it as their base set really. 

Nink played strong side, Mayo played weak, and Spikes played ILB.

Given Hightower's ability to play between the hashes and get after the QB really well (he might be the best pass rushing ILB coming out) I could see a situation where Spikes, Mayo, and Hightower get all the reps. 

Jones, will play the "Elephant" position like Willie Mac or Charles Haley. The rush END who can flex out when they need him to. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Ninkovich getting pushed to the bench will be the best thing for him. He's a fringe starter, but a very good rotational option.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Perhaps their base alignments will look something like so:

Carter/Scott--Fanene--Wilfork--Jones

Hightower--Spikes--Mayo

Dowling/Moore McCourty/Arrington

Chung Gregory

That's a really good defense right there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

trade both picks to browns for their 2nd and third, even if we have to sweeten with a 4th next year.  couple of good players still on the board.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Perhaps their base alignments will look something like so: Carter/Scott--Fanene--Wilfork--Jones Hightower--Spikes--Mayo Dowling/Moore McCourty/Arrington Chung Gregory That's a really good defense right there.
    Posted by vertigho

my guess is nink on the left. they could easily show one look pre-snap then switch entirely just just before the snap

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

I'd love to see them land Jenkins. Saw him play several times and I can tell you, he's a shut down corner. Granted he as off the field issues, but I think the NFL's conduct policy, along with BB's locker room, will keep the kid in check.

He is exactly the kind of shut down corner we haven't had since Ty Law was in his prime.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Press conference getting ready to start on www.patriots.com

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In Response to Re: Draft: 1st Round Thread : Nink might get pushed to the bench. Don't forget. NE ran more 43 under last season than they have in years, using it as their base set really.  Nink played strong side, Mayo played weak, and Spikes played ILB. Given Hightower's ability to play between the hashes and get after the QB really well (he might be the best pass rushing ILB coming out) I could see a situation where Spikes, Mayo, and Hightower get all the reps.  Jones, will play the "Elephant" position like Willie Mac or Charles Haley. The rush END who can flex out when they need him to. 
    Posted by zbellino

BB said they played more 4-3 vs 3-4 last year because of the lockout and no training camp and without time to practice the 4-3 base is easier to pick up.  Also, they were thin at LB last year.

Got to believe we will be seeing alot more 3-4 this year with the LB's they know have.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: Draft: 1st Round Thread : Mercilus or Upshaw. I saw Jones as a boom or bust kind of player.  I don't hate the pick, it just makes me nervous that he won't contribute this year, or that he won't be able to push people around in the NFL the same way he did in the BIG East. In the end, though ... the pick is solid. He's raw, but a ton of people thought very highly of him. And I certainly see his triangle numbers, and frame that could take more weight, really as world class potential.
    Posted by zbellino

Oh ye of little faith...no way BB would have sprung for this kid like he did, if he didn't think that the kid could step right in and start. Jabaal Sheard, from Big East Pittsburgh, was a similar type player, who the Pats passed up last year.

Mike Mayock had Jones as his ninth (9th) best overall player available in this draft. This from DraftScout:
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=83246

This from Kiper:

3. Chandler Jones 6-5½ 265 Syracuse (S. 4.85) R. 9.1

Background: High School – Jones was an all-metro pick at Union-Endicott HS in New York after a senior season that saw him record 75 tackles, seven sacks, two forced fumbles, and three fumble recoveries on defense. Offensively, he led the team with a 17.4-yard average per reception playing tight end. Redshirt Freshman – Jones played in all 12 games for the Orange as a rookie in 2009, starting eight times, and he posted 52 total tackles, including 10 for loss and 1.5 sacks. He had four tackles, with one going for negative yardage, against Minnesota; he had two tackles and a sack in the Northwestern game; and he had eight stops vs. Pittsburgh and a career-high 10 at Louisville. Sophomore Jones was a starter in all 13 games for Syracuse in 2010 and he had 9.5 tackles for loss and four quarterback sacks as part of a 57-tackle campaign. He also forced three fumbles and recovered one loose ball. He had seven tackles, a pair of sacks, and two forced fumbles vs. Maine; he had two sacks and a pass deflection as part of an eight-tackle performance at West Virginia; and two of his three tackles in the Louisville game were sacks. Junior – This past season, Jones played in just seven games, missing a significant portion of the season due to a knee injury, yet he was still named to the All-Big East First Team. He tallied 38 stops as a junior, with 7.5 going for loss and 4.5 of those being sacks. He also intercepted a pass and forced two fumbles in 2011. He had four tackles, including two TFLs, and the interception at Pittsburgh he forced a pair of fumbles to go with six tackles and a sack vs. UConn; and he had six tackles, two sacks, and a pass deflection against West Virginia. Analysis: Since coming back from the knee injury that sidelined him for a large portion of 2011, Jones really made his presence felt with impressive efforts down the stretch. He was a factor against both the pass and the run for Syracuse. He uses his hands well to get off of blocks and does a good job locating the football. Jones is an incredible physical specimen, with the height, tremendously long arms, and pass rush ability you look for. His brother, Arthur, was drafted (5th round in 2010) a few years ago by the Baltimore Ravens, so there is a family

history of NFL success. Chandler Jones was a real impact player in the Big East during his career and also brings a great attitude and approach to the football team. Borderline late first or early-mid second rounder. Remember, he he has the ability to also interest 3-4 teams as an OLB. Jones is one heck of a football player, ascending up the draft board further and further in the weeks and days leading up to the draft. After all was said and done, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he heard his name called in the latter stages of round one. *Combine Note: Ran a 4.85, did 22 reps, and had a 35" vertical jump.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

I'm loving Jones and Hightower as picks.  We have got perhaps the best LB's in the NFL now. Ninkovich and Jones on the edge with Spikes and Hightower in the middle of 3-4? Awesome. These are great picks.  No head scratching these ones which is unusual as a Patriots fan during the draft.
    Posted by mrbungle
    What about Mayo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Ninkovich getting pushed to the bench will be the best thing for him. He's a fringe starter, but a very good rotational option.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

That is my sort of feeling about him too. I hope they never get rid of him, but he could be improved upon. 

Hightower is almost a prototypical SLB if you match him with how BB plays that alignment. A little rushing, a little dropping, a little edge setting when the DE is running stunts, etc, and when they want to run a zone exchange for the DE.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Finally.  Defense!

I'm happy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to Re: Draft: 1st Round Thread : Mercilus or Upshaw. I saw Jones as a boom or bust kind of player.  I don't hate the pick, it just makes me nervous that he won't contribute this year, or that he won't be able to push people around in the NFL the same way he did in the BIG East. In the end, though ... the pick is solid. He's raw, but a ton of people thought very highly of him. And I certainly see his triangle numbers, and frame that could take more weight, really as world class potential.
    Posted by zbellino
    Jones will be a beast look at his tape. Great with his hands, huge wingspan. I actually thought Coples was the Boom or bust DE in the Draft.Good College player, don't like his motor. Mark it down Jones will outplay the overated Coples

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In Response to Re: Draft: 1st Round Thread : Jones will be a beast look at his tape. Great with his hands, huge wingspan. I actually thought Coples was the Boom or bust DE in the Draft.Good College player, don't like his motor. Mark it down Jones will outplay the overated Coples
    Posted by patriots44

This will be interesting to watch.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Draft: 1st Round Thread : yup, and this is the year to go for broke, Guys that can play right now, brady will be 35, he has a couple of more good years left but is on his last run, he could win a couple more. they needed to do it right now though because in a few years when he's retired they will probably need more than a couple of players.
    Posted by sporter81

i think they should have wentr for it starting last YEAr

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Draft: 1st Round Thread : i hope they use them both, or even package them to move up higher in the 2nd round to pick jenkins.
    Posted by sporter81

+1

howwever if we coudl get jenkins and a big outside wr Like jeffery or quick, etc and maybe trade one pick from next year or a player fro a 3rd or so (for o line or d line) that would be grand.

Sections
Shortcuts