Draft 3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

I'm not sure if any of you guys are experiencing the same problems that we had in the first Draft thread, but I can't read what I posted on Draft 2 and I think the same problem has occured again. I've tried deleting my post and then re-post it, but nothing seems to be working at this point. I guess I'll find out if it's me or not and if it is me sorry for the inconvenience and just ignore this thread.

I came across this website www.drafttek.com and I just wanted to share it with you guys to see what you think. The site simulates the first 3 rounds of the draft and also allows you to tinker it with trades an other things as well.

http://drafttek.com/simulator/

"SI.com's Tony Pauline expects USC MLB Rey Maualuga to skip the position workouts at next week's NFL Combine.

The linebacker drills test explosiveness, ball skills, change of direction, and lateral movement. Maualuga's ability to play on three downs is in question, so it's surprising he wouldn't want to show that he can cover. Linebackers that only play on first and second down don't usually go in the first round."

Profootballtalk.com

What is everyones opinion on Connor Barwin, is he a TE or is he going to be DE/OLB in the NFL?

Where do you guys see Matt Cassel being traded to and what do you think the Pats will get in return?
    A)Tampa Bay/1st+3rd round pick(s)
    B)Kansas City/2nd+Tony Gonzalez+ 2010 conditional 3rd or 4th round pick
    B1)Kansas City/2010 conditional 2nd round pick+Tony Gonazelz
    C)Detroit/1st(#20)+Cowboys 3rd round pick
    C1)Detroit/2nd+Cowboys 3rd round pick+2010 4th or 5th roundconditional pick
    C2)Detroit/2nd round pick+Next years 1st round pick for Matt Cassel and NE Pats #58 pick
    D)Minnesota/1st+3rd or 4th round pick
    E)San Fransisco/Swap 1st round picks+4th round pick
    F)Fuhgeddaboutit Cassel's staying in NE
    G)Suprise Team makes offer {Eagles/Panthers/Rams/Redskins/Seahawks}
    H)Trade for player{Chad Greenway/Brian Urlacher, ect./ect.}
    I)Non of the Above the offers are to low and the Pats will get more than what's presented

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

Check out this link and tell me you what you think?

The simulation has the Pats taking:

#23-Larry English DE/OLB NIU-He's the only one I reached for {reach -9}

#47-Patrick Chung SS Oregon {value +1}

#58-Chase Coffman TE Mizz {value +18}

#89-Andy Levitre OG Oregon State {value +6}

http://drafttek.com/simulator/frmInput4.aspx

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Choosing to skip the workouts will hurt his stock. Why would he do that? Unless he is injured it will look like he is trying to hide something.

I would be happy with that draft, but I am not sure how much "simulation" that website does, it appears as if it just takes who you ask for. Or without the "grab" feature, it places them in some wierd pre-order and then sifts through by need.

That said, Ne grabbed Maybin, Robinson, and Delmas.

I can't think of two players less likely to be on NE than Maybin or Robinson. Aside from Delmas,it really doesn't understand how teams draft, which makes it a lot like many of the amateur and professional draft gurus. LOL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

There is an interesting tid-bit from Reiss about my favorite DL prospect in a few seasons, B.J. Raji.

I am really picky with these players, but he looks like a winner. He is off the board at #5 at the latest to the Browns, but I could see the KC Cheifs taking him earlier to rectify biting on the sloppy over-rated guy they picked up last season Glen Dorsey. LOL.

He really isn't an option for NE, simply because it would make zero sense to pay a prospect more than it would cost to get Fork re-upped, so you could pray that prospect tops out to be the pro-bowler Wilfork is.

That got me thinking about late day-one DL prospects and who might fit.

Prospects I don't like are Peria Jerry and Tyson Jackson. Jerry is the por man's version of Dorsey and is so sloppy and over-rated. Tyson might be a good fit on a 4-3 team looking for a dynamic interior lineman to rush the passer, but I think he is way over-rated as a 3-4 prospect, and in that regard should be down near Moala.

I like Raji's partner in crime Ron Brace. He isn't the athletic penetrating guy like Fork or Raji, but he can certainly handle the nose gap. I think he would be worth shot later on. He could give Ne a dynamite tandem of big men to cycle in and out.

Fili Moala is high on my list, mainly because of the value point. He could be had in the third likely. I think he is definitely worth a shot there. When I look at him he projects to be at least a quality backup like Mike Wright, but if he can learn solid technique could be astarter like Ty Warren eventually.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

Z, lets wait til after the combine to write of Maybin completely. We brought in Colvin to basically be a one trick pony, and he did it well. It is possible that Maybin could do the same trick better, perhaps much more so.
    He's as fast off the snap as Brown, Johnson, or anybody else, so lets just see what he weighs in at, how he does in the linebacker drills, and how well he processes information when BB interviews him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

I definitely agree that Brace would be worth a pick later on, even at the end of the 2nd.
    Being completely at the mercy of Wilfork's salary expectations is a place of weakness.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft 3

If we are talking about linebackers I'd put some weighting in the wonderlic. I agree with ZB, that I DT with speed to play DE spot could be had in the 3rd or 4th (still think we could get a decent guard or OT there too). Versatility matters. If you're a one dimensional pass rushing OLB that can't cover TE's on intermediate routes in the spread than you have a noticable deficiency that restricts your playing time.

I don't know what's up with Mauluaga ( I still can't spell his name...maybe I should stop watching wheel of fortune). In the past, it usually hurts his draft stock when he does not participate. He may be recovering from an injury. It's all speculation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

Yeah ZB that was the same sim I got a couple times unitl I just blocked Aaron Maybin. You can change it around with the point system they have and you can also swithch up the draft order around as well. Example you can switch 1st round picks with the 49ers and it would probally land you with Rey Maualuga. Oh well it's something different to mess around with when your board at the computer.

Can you believe the Draft 2 thread got f*ck'd up again?

http://drafttek.com/simulator/Default.aspx

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

Good article to read on NFL.com about the Pats and Cassel. The article also talks about Cassel getting a sweet contract by the team that trades and signs for him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ec4253&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Yeah, freshkikz. That thread crashed hard. I don't think I am going to announce how many posts we are up to anymore because both times I did it the thread crashed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

Z, maybe Roman numerals will work, lol.
    Faucet, I doubt Sanchez makes it past the Niners at #10.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

I feel like BB is going to shock us all and pick someone none of us see coming.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

If SF takes Sanchez it couldbe the best thing for NE because it is one more 3-4 team off the board, so the talent can continue to trickle down.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidwa. Show davidwa's posts

Draft 3

It's possible that SF picks Sanchez; He's a popular local guy in CA, having played at USC. That said, what do you make of Coach Carroll's he's not ready for the NFL comments. Was it that he was just regretting losing his starting QB?Whichever team picks Sanchez, there will be an adjustment time. His Oline & skill players were usually much better then their opposition.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Draft 3

With Jeff Garcia waived, some team thinking he is the answer could pick him up (Minnesota) and try to win now with a veteran. That would take another team out of the Matt Cassell sweepstakes....I would think if no one jumps on him quickly, they still aren't sold on the idea.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

Carroll said those things because almost all his starting QB's play 4 years. Useally you can count on USC's QB's to finish their college football careers but this kid went against the grain and didnt listen to his head coach when he told him to wait another year and get some more reps before going pro and thats why his coach told it like it is. Sanchez is not an NFL ready QB and whoever takes him will regret it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zchowdary. Show Zchowdary's posts

Draft 3

I'm pretty sure Cassel will be traded. The Pats are all about spreading the wealth and will not keep $29 mil in qbs, they'll go with KO if nessecary( but I think Brady should be ready for training camp, he's running, throwing already) and if we trade cassel we have $20-$30 mil after restructuring sey's contract. That is enough to sign and extend our own key players, draft picks and be players some quality free agents, maybe one big FA like AD was, or a lot of low risk-high reward signings like 03'.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

I would like to see Gary Guyton playing next to Mayo next year. He was doing a incredible job last year till he got hurt i really dont think we need to use a 1st round pick on an MLB in back to back years nor do we need to use a a 1st rounder on a CB one year after we used a 2nd round pick on a CB. I know you guys are desperate to get the corner back spot fixed but taking a CB every year is not going to help us one bit. I think we should take either a DE/OLB with smarts cause you cant play in a BB defense with out smarts or a OT to someday replace Matt Light at LT. Although i think we will all be dissapointed this year as I see this as one of those years where the Pats take the best player onthe board which means we could end up with a a running back for all we know.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zchowdary. Show Zchowdary's posts

Draft 3

They would even trade him to the jets for a great deal, like this year's 1st and third and 2010 1st. The Jets made a deal with the devil to get Farve who was below average, and now they are in cap hell and QB-less. And don't forget they wanted Kevin O'Conell in last yrs draft before we took him. They are probably salivating over our QB situation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

m

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

where did you hear they wanted Kevin O Connel? I never heard that not once in this entire season did i hear the Jets wanted him, did you just make that up or did you hear it somewhere?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

I wouldn't be suprised to see Sintim moved inside at the next level. Stranger things have happened.

He has the size at 254. And he has the speed. One of the questions about him coming out isabout his initial burst, which isn't consistently explosive like you see in the upper-tier pass rushers like Brown, Orakpo and English. A move inside answers that question.

From what I heard though, he looked like a pass rusher at the Senior Bowl practices when he was forced to play 4-3 OLB and move in tons of space. I think this would limit his potential inside to something more like a run stopper/inside blitzer. Although I have seen him personally look very effective dropping back into zone, and I didn't see the Senior Bowl practices myself so it is hard to say.

That said, being a native 3-4 OLB with his credentials means a lot. He is one rally good combine (get his 40 speed down) away from being the second best pure OLB prospect after Curry. A great combine can get him to middle of the first. Standing pat, he is a top of the second bottom of the first kid-- and I am not sure why.

He has great instincts and vision for a college player as well.

You have to assume BB will bring this kid in just based on playing at Virginia, so his name really is in the hat, so to speak.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Taking a MLB at #23 for tha sake of it would be a little silly. I have huge doubts about the guys there. Neither JL nor Cushing had to take people on in any fashion even close to what they would have to do here. Especially Cushing who basically got to run around cleaning up trash for other people.

This really isn't a great MLB draft for 3-4 teams. It is a great 3-4 OLB/DE draft though. And is a rock solid corner draft.

All in all, I love to the depth and would welcome a #33 or #34 because in most years the players that will be there are bon-a-fide first rounders anyhow.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zchowdary. Show Zchowdary's posts

Draft 3

This Draft will focus on reloading the D. The 23rd will almost definatly be a defensive pick. We will probably use a few 2nd day picks on OL and DL, maybe a wr or RB. I think we will take the best defensive players in the first 2 rounds, cuz we have Crable to groom for the Pat's next great pass rusher alongside AD, Wheatly and Wilhite along with hobbs, Merriwether and a draft pick or solid FA( hopefully Chung or Otogwe) can be a fearsome secondary with BB's coaching, and Guyton looks like a steal for ILB along with Mayo, who will be THE Linebacker everybody wants for the next ten years. So any picks look like they could be the cherries on top to make this D Super Bowl
    caliber again, along with our historic offense ready to resume with Brady's return.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Hey, you can count me in thegroup who wants to see guyton some more inside next season. Physically he is a beast. He could stand to gain a couple pounds though. But for an undrafted kid he looked really great, and actually earned a start last season, which says something.

Sections
Shortcuts