Draft 3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zchowdary. Show Zchowdary's posts

Draft 3

After the draft last year there were rumors that the Jets were very interested in KO but the Pats took him and they were saying how they fleeced the jets again. And don't forget the interest the Pats were showing in Gholston as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

I really highly doubt we will take a MLB or a CB in round 1 maybe i am wrong but i think this wish wishful thinking on your parts. We took a CB in round 2 last year so unless the best player availible is a CB I dont see us taking a CB in the first 2 rounds and if we take a LB in the top two rounds i think it will be a OLB/DE even if we took Crable last year we can stand to get a 1st round talent pass rusher. But i dont see us taking a MLB at all inthis draft as we have 3 young MLB on the team right now two of whom played great in last season. J. Mayo obviusly is our best young LB and behind him we saw loads of Gary Guyton playing inside LB so he is a good fit at ILB and behind those two we have Bo Ruud who I think will end up being a Ted Johnson type inside LB. I think BB will throw us all off and draft someone we dont see coming.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

I honestly do not remember them ever saying that the Jets wanted O Connel but hey whatever its a miner detail.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

I really think Belichick is going to take the best player left on the board no matter what we may think we need. We could end up with a 1st round RB for all we know. I really dont see us taking a MLB at all in the first two rounds, maybe we take a CB in those rounds but i doubt it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

m

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

Thats dumb they cut two guys that barely make a mark on the cap? whats the point of even doing that?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

The point was getting Washington to sign up for last season. They gave him a cheap one year deal with a second year in funy money. I already knew he would be cut last season. It was a mini version of what they did with Stallworth.

Yates wasn't very good anyhow, and Levoir looked almost as good as Light when he played. So that spelled the end for him.

This is routine maintenance stuff.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

If Green is cut then they have to find a replacement that can play for less than $2.5 million per, because half of his cap figure is bonus cash left over from years prior, which means it won't come off the books.

Matt Light has the most cutable contract. He makes a bunch of money but none of it is guaranteed at this point. The decision comes down to whether you are happy witha mediocre LT for mediocre pay or want to upgrade. If Ne wanted to upgrade LT they could cut him and save half the cash to a legit franchise LT.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

McAlister doesn't interest me at all. I was a *huge* fan of his game, but his NFL time is over. His knees are shot. When he does play, which is less than 50% of the time over the past couple seasons, he is a shell of what he used to be.

NE needs to upgrade, not replace Deltha O'neal.

Frankly none of these cuts really interest me. The only CBs on the real open market that I like are Hall and Robinson in that order.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

And you know this becauseyou talked to Bill? LOL.

Light is mediocre. Although his sack totals are bottom of the league, I cut him some slack because Cassel holds the ball too long. He is never, ever in the top ten in sacks allowed.

Statistically he is the definition of mediocre. But it is ok because he is among the cheapest of veteran NFL LTs.

Jarvis Green? I don't know how a defensive sub-package player isn't mediocre. I mean if you were better than that you would be starting.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 3

I like Robinson and Bodden at CB. Bodden is the much more likely signing. This would allow the early draft focus to be pass rusher (English at #20-23, depending on trades), and safety (Chung at #23-33). Those additions, along with AD coming back healthy, and the development of Crable, Wheatley, Wilhite, and Guyton, would make the defense far superior to last year's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft 3

I don't know how you guys feel about Mayock but he puts Laurinaitis ahead of Maualuga. Now these guys are two different animals for sure. I feel that Laurinaitis fits the Pats better because of what they ask their LBs to do. But hey, that's just me...and I'm probably pretty much alone on this post.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d80dff358&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Above is the link. Most of you have probably been there, done that. Mayock does a top 5 at each position. I hate how he lumped the safties together.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

I don't think they are going to cut either player. I especially don't think they will cut Light for a rookie. I amnot down on Light. He is what he is. A decent LT. It is a spot where NE could stand an upgrade. Heck they could upgrade at RT too.

Ideally I would like to see him at RT because Ne has been so effective running between him and Mankins. It si odd because he would be the smallest RT in football. but the stats tell a different story. Plus, his biggest weakness pass-pro would be made a lot easier on the RT side.

The postulation is based on NE acquiring a proven franchise tackle . . . lets say Jordan Gross, who could be had for $9-11 million, which is about twice the money Light makes. But I think Bb would rather go cheap on OL . . .simply based on history.

Neal is underrated nationally, but I continue to watch his injury situation because that will define how long he is with the team. I predicited he would be cut last season if his injury situation didn't get better, but he was pretty effective when they brought him back. If they do find a good replacement he could be removed.

NE won't cut Bruschi. I can't see BB doing that to him. And he still provides some leadership for the younger guys-- altough I don't know if that is overstating it.

Kaczur would clear 1.6 million. And he is really the biggest weak link of the line.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Even though most abstract rankings place Maualuga around 15-20 in relative ranking, I find it hard to beleive he makes it down to 20.

With Denver going 3-4 there is one more team looking for this kind of player. That means for him to make it to NE he would have to get by SF, Denver, CLE, SD, and NY all select before NE.

A path to Maualuga at #23 relies on severl things. 1.) None of the 4-3 teams can bite. An average 40 time in the combine would help foster the impression that Maualuga ia a north-south typeplayer instead of a true center fielder type MLB like Mayo or Laruinaitis. 2,) the other 3-4 teams would need to address other issues. 3.) Most likely Raji would have to slip from the top ten, because he is the most attractive 3-4 prospect and both Denver and SF need one of him.

Mocking it this way could show the path.
    #4 CLE -- Jenkins
    #10 SF -- Sanchez, Everett Brown, Orakpo, Raji
    #12 DEN -- Raji, Brown
    #16 SD -- Tyson Jackson, Vontae Davis, Wells?
    #17 NJ -- Josh Freeman, Moreno, Davis? Who?

That would put NE in place to grab him *if* none of the 4-3 teams go at it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80eca2b6

Check out this Mock Draft for a good laugh! IMO there is no way the Pats would pass up on Everette Brown if he fell that far in the draft. Also do you guys really think Brian Cushing is worthy of being a top 10 pick?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80ec895c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Freshkikcz,

Maybe and no. In that order.

There is no telling how people evaluate talent. But, I can't help but think that a player like Brown who is 6'4" 255 with room to grow, who projects to run the 40 in the 4.5 range, and who just notched 13 sacks as a junior has to be a hot commodity. Personally, I see him off the board in the top ten tope fifteen latest. But I have no idea what NE would think of him as an every down OLB.

I really don't think Cushing is a top-ten anything. He has limited upside in my eyes, which amplfiies his downside. He is not Keith Rivers, who was a physical freak. He looks like a player who does well in college but not in the NFL.

I keep saying I am willing to be sold on him, but no one has stepped up and done it.

The prospect of Cushing being a better pro than Brown? Possible if Brown lands on the wrong team. That would make me believe that Cushing is for real. I would be wary of using a pick on this kid.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Draft 3

Too many options to analyze but forget about Tony Gonzalez. He'll be 33 in February with one or two years left in the tank, at best.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zchowdary. Show Zchowdary's posts

Draft 3

However the picks may fall, I feel that the Patriots are in good position, there are many good prospects for our team and one of them will be there.
    Maulaluga isn't doing the full combine so I think that helps, or maybe Everrete Brown, who has potential to be a pass rusher like Demarcus Ware, could fall. Many scouts have him as a 10-25th pick. Or Larry English will most likely be there at 23, he's an awesome pass rusher as well. I don't think they will take a CB in the first, probably address that through FA and Wheatly and Whilhite. And we might get a couple high picks for Cassel.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zchowdary. Show Zchowdary's posts

Draft 3

Do you guys think, with a good draft and FA pickups, the Pats D could be as good as the Steelers' or Ravens'? The offense is near the top of the league, with a few OL changes. If we had a better D the last few years, we might have had another 2 rings. Hopefully that'll change this year!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. I can't see him making it past SD under any circumstances.

They have other needs, but being realistic, SS, ILB and RB, prolly go hand in hand.

Althooooouuugh.

Olshansky is a FA soon, and will get money. SD doesn't usually like to pay people, so like I noted, someone like TJ is a possibility there as well.

And I truly wonder if the NYJ are going to sink any more money into LBers at this point.

So there is a possibility (albeit slight) that he makes it down to #23. Frankly, the more I think about it, the CB/S situation here is so bloody dire, I really wish they would just bite the bullet and get a first round talent. LOL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zchowdary. Show Zchowdary's posts

Draft 3

Don't forget that a good pass rush can completely change how good a secondary looks. There's too much great talent at the OLB position this year too pass up a first for a DB, unless we get another 1st for Cassel. And then we can move Vrable inside, where he can be a great compliment to Mayo, at least for a year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

If he fell to us and was the best player on the board then sure i would be ok with taking a MLB for the second year in a row but i doubt that will happen and i dont think we should trade up for either one of this MLBs. Nor do i want to see us take a CB in round 1 after we just took Wheatly. I hope we take a OLB or a OT

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Yeah, Brown and Orakpo are really 1a and 1b right now. I could easily see a situation where they go off the board back to back to Denver and SF who both need an OLB. Just like Merriman and Ware came off a few seasons ago.

Both players had careers and body types similar to Merriman. Neither had carreers like Ware, but Ware played at Troy.

Everette Brown is a carbon copy of how Ware looked in college, he just played against tougher competition. They were both about 6'4" 250 ish. Both known as speed rushers.

Personally, I think Larry English is the most interesting out of all the Rush-OLB prospects in this draft.

Whether or not he is at #23 depends on the combine and such. Like Ware he is a small school kid. But like Ware he could go MUCH earlier than some scouts predict. Ware was considered late first/eraly second round talent. But for a 3-4 team like Dallas he was #11 material. A strong combine to go with the strong Senior Bowl could cause English to skyrocket, which could be good and bad. It might take him out of range, but might also push another guy down. Who knows.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

"So you want us to go with tackle and outside linebacker in the first round, positions that are already full and we don't have particular need to upgrade in? CB, there are only 4 on the team and we need to upgrade at the spot on the opposite side of the field from Hobbs. At safety, we have 1 on the team so we still need a starter. At ILB, we've needed a replacement for Ted Johnson for years and this is one of the few drafts with legitimate options early to actually do it. "

Already full? You guys have been complaining about our "need" on the Oline since day one of last years training camp. In fact ever since we lost to the Giants our Oline has been "suspect" but now that you have a chubby for a CB or a LB we don’t need an OT? Please. Matt light is getting old and has always had trouble with speed rushers and Nick Kazcur is a band aide player not a long time solution. We took Mankins in round one and a lot of us had no idea why we did it and now we look back on it as a great move because we have an elite o linemen. If we got a good OT in round 1 we could at some point move Light to RT where he is a much better fit and then we would have an elite LT blocking Brady’s back side for years to come and with Mankins on that side we could have a dominate left side.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

All I ever hear about our D is "old old old" we are sooooo old and we "NEED" to get younger and blah blah blah. And now you are going to give me crap for saying we should grab an OLB over a MLB? J. Mayo is a beast and is going to be a beast for years to come, Gary Guyton looked strong in his first year with this coaching staff and if he didn’t get hurt he most likely would have finished the year above Bruschi on the depth chart. If he stays healthy I am very confident that Guyton and Mayo will be our two starting MLBs for the future with Bo Ruud working his way in there as well if he doesn’t get cut. So from where I sit we are all set at MLB. Now IF one of those "elite" rookie MLBs slips to us and they are the best players on the board then ok let’s take them I am ok with that but if they don’t slip to us then forget it we are set with Guyton and Mayo anyways. That’s the way I see it. Crable was a good pick up but he is a 3rd round pick so there is no sure thing he will be a good NFL OLB. So if we can take English or another DE/OLB in round 1 I say we go for it. If our pass rush is solid our DBs will look better then they are.

Sections
Shortcuts