Draft 3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Draft 3

Not a Patriot fan, but I've given some thought to what I'd do if I were the Pats. Here's what I'd draft:

1) Clint Stintim, OLB, UVA. The next great rush LB.

1st 2) Alphonso Smith, CB, WF. A can't miss CB that will be at least a good nickel guy as a rookie.

2nd 2) Brian Robiskie, WR, OSU. Kind of a luxury for a team with Moss, Welker, and Lewis, but Brady should be kept well stocked in productive WRs.

3rd 2) Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose St. There's already some depth there, but the Seymore/Warren tandem can't last forever and an heir-apparent will find his way on the field, if for nothing else than keeping the aging starters fresh for a while.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Yeah, I can't wait for all the pro-day results. Virginia is one I am looking at. Sintim could really help himself if he can post even better numbers.

Wake Forest is coming up to right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Why would you like it Faucet?

Given the obvious needy positions on defense drafting a part-timer that high would be sort of lavish.

I am waiting on the Vol pro-day tommorow.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft 3

Faucet...thanks for the link to the pro-days! It's pretty sweet how they comment on who performed well and what the reported numbers were.

I think Ayers is an interesting option...and I'm def curious about Sintim too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft 3

Both very impresssive times Faucet. Can you see Guyton as an integral part of the LB rotation in 09 Faucetman ? It seems that alot of posters are talking about the Mayo/Mauluaga scenario. I hate using injuries as an excuse, but the Pats D (08 rookies lncluded) was pretty banged up. It's little unfair to evaluate rookies that have been injured for any significant length of time (Wilhite, Wheatley, Crable, Guyton), therefore a part me of feels that really only the coaching staff knows how well these players will develop.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 3

Bodden signed for a year, so I think the focus is being narrowed to OLB, ILB, S and OL, at least in the first few rounds....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

First, in theory it sounds right. But, I don't know of a single plaer who could get those numbers part time. And sub packages are nice luxuries, but you don't load alternate packages with stars.

Any good offense (the Colts, Chargers) can really destroy your ability to change sets by using no huddle or quick huddle tactics.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

People are going to laugh, but I think the signing of Bodden to a one year deal all but ensures that NE is preparing to draft at least one if not two more DBs.

Neither Springs nor Bodden seem to be long term. And while I am excited that NE's biggest weakness is now a huge strength, next season Bodden and Hobbs are FA, and Springs will be 35. So it seems this buys Wheatley and Wilhite another year to develop, but I hope Ne can get their OWN Bodden in the draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Hog,

I think the coaches are the people who can evaluate those players. They will look at the practice tapes, and judge their development over all. Wheatley and Wlhite were fortunate to stay healthy long enough for the injuries to get them a crack at playing time. Crable wasn't so fortunate though.

We will see what NE thinks of these kids soon enough. Although I have a hunch that like I said, NE is not counting on Wheatley long term, just based on his injury history at this point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

[Quote]

I like that Leigh Bodden signing a lot. Now I'm starting to feel better about our secondary. We should have enough depth and veterans to hold the fort back there for a year. Bodden is a tall corner, 6-1. To me this solidifies what I was saying, you have to be built to win in your division. Bodden is tall enough to challenge TO on jump balls. I think once TO signed with Buffalo we got serious about Bodden. I could see Bodden and Springs as our new starting CBs next year with Wheatley as the nickel and Hobbs delegated to special teams. I don't think we are looking at a CB in the draft now. Cool.

[/Quote]

I do. What happens in 2010??? The chariot turns into a pumpkin. If they don't take one now, then they will be in the same or worse position next season-- with only two players who may or may not have a start, and a 35 year old Springs instead of a young Hobbs.

One thing, I HOPE, is that they view this entire season as a Hobbs/Bodden playoff, and will use it to evaluate which player they like going down the road.

But getting a corner is still a thing to do. Perhaps it can get pushed down a bit, and they can start looking at players like Sean Smith in the second late. Or maybe someone like Jairus Byrd.

But the need is still there. It is just covered up for one SUPER BOWL winning season (hopefully). LOL.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

This isn't even about answering questions in the division only, as it has become a league wide phenomenon.

A blogged a year or two ago about how the defense NE ran from 2000-2004 was now a bit of a dinosaur.

The were too heavy and slow in the middle and too small on the perimiter, and the two factors led to a team with an incredible weak seam in the inside.

I think the most productive defense in that period PITT has used larger corners, smaller safeties and smaller quicker ILBs. And they really are a nice positionally suited defense. They don't have the problems with SD that NE has, and NE has to face MIA too, who has that jumbo WR corp as well.

TO, as a west coast WR, isn't a dude you look to man up against, because the entire way of using him is about getting him off the line clean. But having solid tacklers who can run with him is the best way.

The best method of stopping TO is stopping him from getting YAC. That is how he burns you bad.

Next up is augmenting the pass rush, which in due time should occur. I love what AT brings, but I want another player like him, a jack of all type of player who can rush and cover and tackle in the open field.

Guys like Barwin and Sintim seem like fits here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Draft 3

The best thing the Bodden p/u does (as does the Springs/TBC/F. Taylor) is this truly gives Belichick the flexibility to take best player available....I would be looking for D-Line, O-Line, Safety, LB, etc....in no particular order.

Hard for other teams to "guess" what the Pats will do...you could bet he will be trading a pick to move up this year for a particular player or for a better selection next year...probably see him do both

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 3

Z - but think of the what the Bodden signing means as far as the development of Wilhite and Wheatley. You can kiss Hoobs goodbye after 2009 (and that's not really a loss). But now the W's have both Springs and Bodden to tutor under during 2009, and then both be in position to contribute in their third year. Who did they really have to learn from last year? Hobbs? LOL? Bryant was supposed to be that guy but never made the team.

I think the Bodden signing effectively moves the focus to the linebackers and safeties now, unless one of the top rated OL's fall into our lap.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 3

I still say we get a CB, just not until #58 or likely #89, I see us getting Coye Francis.

#23 Larry English-DE/OLB
    #34 William Beatty-OT-UConn
    #47 Patrick Chung-SS-Oregon
    #58 Jasper Brinkley-MLB-S.Carolina
    #89 Coye Francis-CB-San Jose State
    Rd4 Rames Bardem-Cal Poly
    5C Andy Kemp-OG-Wisconsin
    6 Devin Moore-HB-Wyoming
    6C Graham Harrel-QB-Texas Tech
    7 Jovoriskie Lane-FB-Texas A&M

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 3

Now that we've filled in a lot of holes on the roster, I think we have the luxury of taking the best OL, S, DL and OLB with our first four picks. If a stud CB is available, I say we take him (to replace Springs/Bodden down the road), but otherwise I believe we ought to target our lines--where it all starts--and then our pass rush.

Michael Johnson is starting to intrigue me. I think BB could work wonders with him, and apparently at his pro day he spent time with LB drills, especially dropping into coverage. From what I heard, his backpedal was smooth and he showed above-average coverage skills. I'm sure either he or Barwin will be available at 34, and I'm (fairly) certain we'll take one of them.

Jamon Meredith is my pick for OL at 58. I also like Beatty, but I think he'll be gone by the end of the first/early second, and so I don't believe the value is there. 1) I don't think he is significantly better than Meredith, whom I rather like, and 2) other, better players will most likely be available 23 - 47.

Still want Chung at 47 if he's there. Actually, any good safety would excite me; I'm not a huge fan of Sanders' game.

Anyone with me on James Casey in the third? Or maybe even second? I think he's a fantastic prospect.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 3

What's with this board never updating properly? Meh.

The offseason spring training begins in a few days. I wonder who commits to the entire training regimen? If Guyton can stay in position and improve his coverage skills, does he take over as a full-time starter next year? I'd really like to see that happen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 3

#23 Larry English-DE/OLB
    #34 William Beatty-OT-UConn
    #47 Patrick Chung-SS-Oregon
    #58 Jasper Brinkley-MLB-S.Carolina
    #89 Coye Francis-CB-San Jose State

Titletown you got my picks exactly... WR/CB/OG in some order @ 89/3rdC/4th

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Yes, Cowlick. iwould be suprised to see Ne use all of their draft choices. But then they do have some new blood in Floyd Reese so that might impact part of their draft strategy.

Either way, it is sort of a tradition here to do up mocks that don't assume any trades, simply to keep it simple. I think later on as things get more concrete and we start reading about scout workouts with NE then we see some more trade talks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

I agree that Barwin would be the safer choice, and the more reliable, consistent, and aggressive player.

I also know I watched a highlight on youtube (draftparty) where he blocked a FG with his FACE.

If his technique in this area could be coached up, he could possibly block 5 or 6 FGs a year, some of which might come in close games.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Barwin has the perfect tools.

I love his motor, and that is a big factor for me in evaluating players for NE. I like the non-stop pedal to the metal kind of guys.

I mean you can see it. Watch Barwin right after watching Sintim and vice versa. You see the difference night and day. Sintim is so deliberate, and a bit slower on film too.

Barwin just flies all over the place. They both made plays in college, but justbased on tenacity, Barwin is the guy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

Looks like Michael Johnson tore it up yesterday at his Pro Day:
    http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/gatech/stories/2009/03/09/tech_johnson_pro_day.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 3

On the issues of adressing the DB;s in the draft, this is from Kiper's latest column. I question whether nay of the DB's that might be on the board at #23 are worth it. I think I'm convincing myself that the LB's have the inroad at #23, since the dropoff at DB into the second round doesn't seem that severe.

Cornerbacks

Back to discussing the draft. "There isn't that one true shutdown cornerback available this year," Kiper says. "And after the subpar 40 times run by the defensive backs at the combine workout, this position isn't really as strong or as deep as originally anticipated." Michael Jenkins, Ohio State: "Jenkins is barely maintaining his spot as the No. 1 cornerback," Kiper says. Although Kiper points out that Jenkins "brings a ton of experience and sound technique to the position," he ran a 4.55 40-yard dash at the combine, which makes Kiper worry whether he's worthy of first-round consideration. Vontae Davis, Illinois: Davis is on Jenkins' heels as the top cornerback in this class. But "he lacks the necessary consistency and is still a work in progress," Kiper says. "But physically, he has the awesome physical talent you look for to warrant a first-round grade." D.J. Moore, Vanderbilt: Kiper says he has impressive cover skills, good return skills, smooth hips and good ball skills, but he lacks good recovery speed. Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest: "The 5-9, 193-pounder would be a first-round lock if he were a few inches taller and a bit faster," Kiper says. Darius Butler, Connecticut: Butler is a multiskilled athlete with outstanding recovery speed, Kiper says. Butler also saw action on offense, with nine receptions, and is a solid kick returner. Underrated: Donald Washington, Ohio State: Washington left school early, a move that many people questioned, but Kiper says he is a solid second-rounder and will draw consideration in the latter portion of Round 1. "He has the physical skills you look for," Kiper says. Others with early-round potential Safeties

Because USC's Taylor Mays opted to return to school, there isn't a true star at safety in this draft, Kiper says.
    William Moore, Missouri: After his junior season, in which he made eight interceptions, he was considered a first-round pick. But Kiper says a foot injury early in his senior season caused him to have just one pick last season. However, he ran an "impressive" 4.5-second 40-yard dash at the NFL combine. "He could turn out to be a steal in Round 2," Kiper says. Louis Delmas, Western Michigan: "A true ball hawk at free safety." Rashad Johnson, Alabama: "Had a spectacular year in the SEC, evidenced by his three-interception performance against LSU back in early November," Kiper says. He adds that Johnson is smart and instinctive, with his only weakness being a lack of ideal size (5-foot-11, 202 pounds). Others with early-round potential

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 3

And here's Kiper's current take on the OLB/ILB's...

Outside linebackers

"While there are several high-profile inside linebackers, there's no question the outside linebacker spot is much better when it comes to talent and overall depth," Kiper says. He predicts that as many as four outside linebackers could be chosen in Round 1 of the draft. Aaron Curry, Wake Forest: Curry is the top player on Kiper's draft board. The multidimensional linebacker gets "high grades in all aspects of outside linebacker play." Kiper says he is destined to be a perennial Pro Bowler. Brian Cushing, USC: Kiper says Cushing is able to perform effectively in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme. Also, he is more "proven and battle-tested" than his teammate Clay Matthews. Clay Matthews, USC: Matthews is in the Mike Vrabel mold and excels as a pass-rusher, Kiper reports. He is rocketing up draft boards after one season as a starter at USC. Larry English, Northern Illinois: "He was a force to be reckoned with with the Huskies." Clint Sintim, Virginia: "He has the talent and wingspan to operate on his feet or shift to a down defensive end position." He likely will be drafted in the second round.

Inside linebackers

Rey Maualuga, USC: "He ranks as one of the hardest-hitting tacklers you will ever come across." James Laurinaitis, Ohio State: "He isn't flashy and lacks awesome computer numbers, but he gets extremely high grades in the consistency department." Kiper believes he needs to be protected by quality defensive tackle play. Others with early-round potential

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Yes,I read his breakdowns. I think he is the only major scout who is still clinging to Moore.

I would also put Sean Smith and Jairus Bird over Washington. But that is just me. I wait to see howSmith does at his pro-day to dole out final judgment. If he cna show a little more straight line speed he should move up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Faucet, I have been thinking the same thing. Two OLB's with ILB potential. Just adding good linebackers in a strong OLB class sounds smart.

The need fits the talent and the picks they have.

Although I would rather spread the love and graba big rush threat like Johnson or Barwin (pref) and then go after Brinkley later.