Draft 3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

So your solution to our CB problem is to take another know nothing rookie? So this is your plan for next years CB core, Hobbs is the number two and then we fill in all the other gaps with either second year players or rookies? We need a veteran starting CB not another rookie. and if we take a rookie CB it should be in the later rounds maybe the 3rd but no way should we use a 1st round pick on a CB unless that player is the best player left on the board at that time. Every off-season it’s the same thing we need a linebacker we need a linebacker we need a corner back we need a corner back. Change the record already.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

We have two young on their way up MLB on the team already and we have two young CBs on the team so why would you think we need to add more youth at those spots. Unless you think Wilhite and Wheatly won’t turn out. I would much rather see us sign a free agent veteran CB to start and work with our young players we already have.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

That was meant to be one post but i had to edit and i couldnt figure out which part needed to be changed so I just posted it in 4 different sections and when i found the one part it wouldnt let me post i just removed it so sorry for posting 4 times in like a minute but thats the only way i could post this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

Teddy, Vrabel, Thomas, Mayo, and Guyton can all play inside. Nobody can really sick QBs on a steady basis.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

Dont forget how good Adalius Thomas was at playing inside so he can bump inside as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 3

[Quote]We have two young on their way up MLB on the team already and we have two young CBs on the team so why would you think we need to add more youth at those spots. Unless you think Wilhite and Wheatly won’t turn out. I would much rather see us sign a free agent veteran CB to start and work with our young players we already have.[/Quote]

LOL, Sound like you're disqualifying every position of need!!

Assuming the Cassel trade goes thru, the pats will have 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds!!!

Since Defense is the biggest concern:

RCB: Hobbs - Upgradable - Draft
    LCB: ?????? - Urgent need - FA/Draft
    SS: ?????? - Urgent need - FA/Draft
    FS: M'weather - Solid - Dont mess with

OLB: Thomas
    - Solid - Dont mess with
    ILB: Mayo - Solid - Dont mess with
    ILB: Guyton - Upgradable - Draft
    OLB: Vrabel - Upgradable - Draft

DE: Warren - Solid - Dont mess with
    NT: Wilfork
    - Solid - Dont mess with
    DE: Seymour - Solid - Dont mess with

If you agree with the above wouldnt you then say the priorities are:

1a-LCB/1b-SS - Urgent needs, since noone is currently in those positions
    - Can go the good FA route or high Draft pick

2a-ILB/2b-OLB - Since middle of the field coverage and Pass Rush
    were equally problematic

3a-OL/3b-TE/3c-WR - Since TE/OL/(3rd)WR - would be nice but not musts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

It shoul be interesting to see who wears the special helmet for the D this coming year. Is Mayo ready for the honors as he was on the field quite a bit last year or does BB keep it with the older vets like Vrabel or A. Thomas?

I'm stll hoping the Pats can get some nice draft picks or players for Matt Cassel. IMHO the Lions, Chiefs and the Vikings are the teams I see most interested in Cassel as of right now. I'm anxious to see what happens in the next few months and hopefully the Pats will have an extra 1st or 2nd rouner in this years draft to make up for the loss of last years pick.

The Jets continue to follow the Pats trail and pick up NE's leftovers.

"The Jets will host Kelley Washington for a free agent visit Wednesday night.

Washington doesn't add anything as a wideout, but he could help New York's special teams coverage. He shouldn't cost much more than the minimum"

NFL.com

Do you guys think with Brady commenting on how he's progressing hurts the Pats chances of trading Cassel? I don't think it will but I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/18/brady-hurts-trade-leverage-for-cassel/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

Geoffchox I didn't post that but somehow my screen name is on your reply. I think it was MVP who posted that?

MVPkilla 535657
    Comments: 2451

2/18/2009 2:20:25 PM
    We have two young on their way up MLB on the team already and we have two young CBs on the team so why would you think we need to add more youth at those spots. Unless you think Wilhite and Wheatly won’t turn out. I would much rather see us sign a free agent veteran CB to start and work with our young players we already have.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

Geoff, what you are saying is different then what Kmaxx was saying you are saying we need to upgrade via EITHER the draft OR free agents and I agree with that for the most part. I agree that we could use a VETERAN CB to come in and play LCB like you say however if you draft a CB in the first 2 rounds you have no idea if he will start right away so just because you draft a CB doesnt mean you fix the problem. As for the linebackers again you are changing the argument, I said i wouldnt draft a MLB in back to back years because I think Gary Guyton is the future at that spot with Mayo so I dont think we need to upgrade our MLBer cause we have Mayo and Guyton and I have faith in those two guys but also if you read what I had to say i did say i think OLB is a major concern and I would love to see us draft a OLB in the draft so I am with you on that one i just dont want to draft a pure MLB. And as for your 3rd point i am ok with what you said but you didnt say in which rounds, in which rounds do you think it would be ok to take a WR or a TE or a O linemen? I think we need to take a O linemen in round 1 thats what I think. and then maybe in round 2 we take a pass rusher. I dont not think we should take a WR any higher then round 3.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

I think the Pats D will have a nice rotation to keep the older players fresh throughout the games and throughout the season. IMO alot will depend on who the Pats bring in through F/A and who they don't re-sign on their own roster to determine how they may go about in the draft.

I myself wonder if the Pats will re-sign Pierre Woods as a 2nd round tender at $ 1.45 million and match another teams offer or just take the compensation pick for next year.

"Other teams can sign restricted free agents to offer sheets, and if the original team doesn't match the offer, it receives draft pick compensation at the level in which the player was tendered."

Restricted free agency; Pierre Woods decision

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

It looks less likely now that they have resigned Banta Cain.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 3

MVP, I was just pointing out that the Pats will potentially have 4 picks(currently 3) in rnd 1&2.

So, preference wise you view OLB as a more urgent need than ILB/CB then OK then OLB it is, maybe Larry English @23 (unless Cassel brings a lower pick) then you gotta get other positions...you wouldn't pick another OLB after that right?

What if Vontae Davies is still on the board @23? What'd you do then? Still go with OLB?

I would go with the BPA in terms of OLB/CB/MLB, unless of course one of the (3or4) stud OL falls and is available.

SS-can wait for 2nd round.

WR/TE even OL - can wait for the 3rd round.

The rest of the rounds can be for depth or used to package with other picks to target specific players lower in the draft.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft 3

- jdc
    If I'm Minnesota I would go after Cassel. This makes a lot of sense. The reasoning for Detroit not to do it would be hard to figure out as well but hey...it's Detroit! It would make a lot of sense for Chicago to go after Cassel too but it will never happen. They seldom think about the offensive side of the ball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft 3

OLB is probably one of the better topics on this post. One thing everyone can agree on is the pass rush was not there last year. Do we blame this on Vrabel? If you do then OLB is a top need because we need that pass rush. Vrabel will then be pushed to the inside.

Whether the LB be inside or out the pick needs to be in the 1st round because it dries up after the very earlier 2nd round.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft 3

~ faucetman

It's been my thought that Maualuga is just out of reach. I don't see him getting by Denver at #12. It would be nice but not practical IMHO.

We were talking about the pass rush back in the draft1 post. Then folks started talking about using the Cassel trade to pick up Maualuga and OLB kinda took a walk although it's been mentioned from time to time.

Clint Sintim seemed to be a favorite along with English. English has picked up some momentum on the board. We'll see what the combine brings. My guess is that the Pat nation will be glued to the LBs and CBs work outs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 3

[Quote]~ faucetman

It's been my thought that Maualuga is just out of reach. I don't see him getting by Denver at #12. It would be nice but not practical IMHO.

[/Quote]

All the more reason to try to get Cassel to SF for the #10. I agree with Faucet - Maualuga is a game changer, and will be for years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Mel Kiper has moved Rey Maualuga down to the #21 spot on his big board. It was expected when he said he wouldn't work out with the LBers in the position drills. Larry English is now ranked above him.

He also bumped JL out last time, most likely for skipping the Senior Bowl.

This time he bumped D.J. Moore. And I can only assume bumped Clay Matthews up.

He does his boards like I do and just ranks the players he thinks are 1st round talent. He has 25 players like I did last tme, although the players are very different.

I agree (in general) with Geoff. There are four spots on this team that could stand an upgrade. CB, ILB, OLB, S/FS. In alphabetical order only. Although I wouldn't sleep on grabbing an OL. I don't think it is very likely, but it is a possibility when you factor in how age (Light), injury (Neal), and free-agency (Mankins/Koppen) might effect this unit within the next few seasons.

It is the same situation with OLB. Players, like Woods, Banta-Cain, Rudd, are not the answer, but are really special teams guys most likely. And I would not put my faith in a player like Crable (or Wheatley at CB) who are a pair of late day one selections who were injured in their rookie campaigns. So Ne has to think about age (Vrabel) and injury (Thomas) when they select this position.

The truth is you need four corners, threee solid. You need at least four OLB's, but BB has a habit of keeping extras on as special teams guys. You need at least three ILBs, given that one or two of your OLBs can typically flex inside when in need.

Andfor the love of Steve you need more than one safety. I think NE might think about bringing a mediiocre Sanders back, but I also think he is going to get paid more by Denver or maybe Cleveland or NJ because he knows the system they are trying to build up in those towns.

I think that makes it pretty wide open at #23 right now. So I start by discounting positions based on available talent.

The ILBs that will be on the board at #23 will be leftovers in a very weak ILB class. It is most likely that the Tackles will all be gone as well.

That leaves the end of a fairly solid DB class (Moore, Smith), a positional need reach or riser at a S spot (Delmas, Chung), or simply grabbing one of the six or seven OLB prospects that are there.

Hence, I would rank the likelihood by position at OLB, CB, S, ILB, OT, trailing off into skill spots with TE, WR, RB, etc.

Last year in a strong top end ILB class was the first season that BB ever took an ILB on day one, Perhaps this is the season he takes an OLB/DE?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Gary you could also blame the lack of pass rush on horrible CB's and an injury to Adalius that let people focus on Vrabel.

Really, pass rush is two part. If your corners are terrible, the best blitz in the world means nothing.

I see need at both spots, so I am open to anything.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Draft 3

[Quote]Gary you could also blame the lack of pass rush on horrible CB's and an injury to Adalius that let people focus on Vrabel.

Really, pass rush is two part. If your corners are terrible, the best blitz in the world means nothing.

I see need at both spots, so I am open to anything.[/Quote]

Or you could blame the lack of a consistantly healthy defensive line or smallish ILBs (ILBs consistently overwhelmed by other teams blocking schemes) that caused a shift in defensive scheme away from rushing OLBs at the QB to shifting them inside to defend inside runs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Despite the resistance here, last year and this year, I still think drafting CB's high is smart.

The market (inexplicably) is continuing to inflate. When corners like Corey Webster and Chris Gamble want $8 and $9 million per, with $20+ in guaranteesm and the oft injured Robinson wants something similar getting young corners in the draft is essentially getting them at a bargain price.

This FA corner market is downright terrifying. And it all but assures that Ellis Hobbs is gone in 2010. So NE better start stocking up now on the kids,

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft 3

~ z

Shutdown corners are a premium! Look what Samuels got and he's not considered a shutdown corner. I see DBs in rounds 2 & 3 although there is a chance of a TE sneaking in there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Since when are corners like Robinson, Gamble and Webster shutdown.

The problem is that the market is unbalanced. When you can get a player like Terrell Suggs or Dansby for $9 million per or Gamble for $9 million per it is out of whack.

Frankly there is really only one complete corner in football and at 30 coming off an injury he has a lot to prove.

The best way to acquire a great corner is through the draft. Even picking one at #10 or can represent an absolute steal.

The point is that all of these FA bargain corners are not going to be bargains at all. I can't wait to see what Bryant McKinnie gets. Even Leigh Bodden is going to want more $$ than NE would pay, and these cats are mediocre at best.

However, getting a top flight corner at #23 is the bargain of the century. The point is that there will be no FA solutions for this team unless they alter their approach to signing defenders. And I am pretty sure that Hobbs is gone, even though he is just dependable. If Webster can get $8million per, Hobbs can now ask for seven.

Frankly. I blame Deion Sanders for being so good that he caused the market to jump.

Especially if NE gets a second first rounder it is pretty comelling to grab the best corner you cna possibly get soon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

I am ok with taking a CB as long as its a smart move. If the best player left on the board is a CB then i say go for it but if we have a chance at getting a 1st round Offensive Tackle I say we do it cause the O line needs more guys like Mankins. If Ray whats his face falls into the 20's of the 1st round i wouldnt be ok with trying to move up and grab him but only because he is so close and such a good talent. But I doubt that will happen. I think the best person we could get in round one would be a OLB like English.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 3

I really want the first 2 picks to be English and Chung, whether that is both in the first round or one in the first one in the second. I think those two guys fill the most pressing needs on defense and would be instant upgrades to the pass defense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

m

Sections
Shortcuts