Draft 3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

If English performs well at the combine or can put up numbers close to Orakpo, I think he'll be out of the Pats range and a team like the Texans will be all over him to sure up their D-line IMHO.

If Keith Brooking gets released from the Falcons, would you guys on the board think he could be a good fit for the Pats. If he was added he would be able to give the Pats depth at ILB and it could give the Pats some time to develop a future replacement.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

I wouldn't be surprised if BB was interested in Nic Harris in the late third, to do what Tank Williams was supposed to do, but better, in a situational role.

I also wonder what schematic options James Laurinitis might open up, since he and Mayo could cover a whole lot of ground together. I'm not sure how that might work. I do know that if we lost Wilfork and/or Seymour, having two light ILBs might be a serious issue.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Draft 3

The RB from Conn. Brown was very impressive. Pat White as well. Don't think Pats will take him, they'll have 3 qbs after Cassel gets traded (O'Connell,Guttierez and Brady). NFL Network mentioned Belichick spent a lot of time with Percy Harvin. If they go offense first round maybe its an indicator they like what they saw out of Crable, Redd, Guyton, Whilhite and Wheatley in 08.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft 3

Connor Barwin posted a 4.64 40 time. Orakpo posted 4.70...he's a complete beast and will be gone by the time we pick in the 1st. I like Barwin, versatile and a really good overall athlete...seems like a fit for the Pats. What will be interesting is to see if BB likes him enough to 'reach' for him @ 23...because so far on most mocks he's a top of the 2nd round pick at best.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Draft 3

Ian Johnson is very interesting, seemed like he played at Boise for 8 years. His numbers at the combine were real good.

Barwin had a 40" vertical leap. Mauluga had a sub par workout.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 3

Barwin has been a complete beast today, and said that he thinks OLB might end up being his best position. Need to get this guy in the 2nd.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 3

Sintim did run the 40, I think it was unofficially in the 4.7 range.

If we are looking at wide receiver, I'd like to go with Robiskie. He looks like an extremely safe pick at a very unsafe position. I was very surprised to see he ran a 4.47 yesterday, as speed was viewed as his main weakness.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Draft 3

I havent seen any of the Defensive coverage so maybe somebody can answer this for me, have the officical times been way off the unoffical time ala runningbacks. I think Ian Johnson ran an unoffical 4.3 but his offical was a 4.4 high, i think the recorders were on crack. Its not that big of a deal if everyone has the same descrepincy but if not some shady stuff is going down.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 3

MAYBIN RUNS A 4.78

Penn State linebacker Aaron Maybin just ran the 40-yard dash in an unofficial time of 4.78 seconds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

Maybin has a very high moter and I am kind of shocked that Cushing could be selected before Ray Maualuga considering most said Mauugla was a top 10 pick last year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft 3

Connor Barwin looks like the pick @ 23...the guy put up numbers in every single event at the combine. If we're looking to replace Vrabel...this guy is the second coming.

Cushing will def be gone and I still don't think Maualuga falls to NE...that would be a different story cuz I think we'd grad him and hope Barwin falls or flip one of our second rounders with a later round pick to move up and get him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

Vontae Davis benched 25, same as Curry.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

Z, perhaps even more impressive than Davis' 25 is Coye Francies' 24, while weighing 20 pounds less than Davis (185 vs 205).

That is simply unbelievable. Percy Harvin weighs 192 and did 19, and I thought that was impressive.

Aaron Curry weighs 254, and did 25. He weighs 59 more pounds, is a fantastic athlete, and only did 1 more the Francies.

It may or may not be silly, but I think that bench press will really help Francies, and move him out of our range in the mid-second round. He'll probably dazzle in the other drills too, and the only knock on him is a gun possession charge that was dropped, and that was 3 years ago.

Let me know if you guys find any comparably amazing performance in the bench press on a pound for pound basis, or anything close.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Draft 3

Clay Matthews had a big performance. Sub 4.6 40. Lots of OLB/DEs. Got to pick right, there's definately a Vern Gholston or Mike Mamula lurking. Warren Sapp said Gholston doesn't like contact, that's about the worst possible trait for a LB to have.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft 3

[Quote]Z,

I was a DRC fanatic last year and rightfully so. Not knocking Mayo obviously since he turned out great but I wasn't a huge Gholston mouthpiece. I mentioned him a few times as someone to consider but if you remember, Cromartie was my guy and everyone thought he'd be too much a reach. So far, so good for him.

Right now I'm still a huge RM fan and if by some miracle he falls to us, I'd be elated. But I agree, he'll be gone. For LBs that might be there at #23 I like Cushing, Maybin, Brinkely and Matthews in that order. For CBs I like Davis, Moore then A. Smith.

At the moment I think we'll get KC's #34 so I'm thinking take the CB at #23 then perhaps Brinkley at #34.[/Quote]

Faucet,

Great call on Cromartie! I'm obviously still glad we didn't take him @ 10 though...where we reached for a guy who was barely considered a 1st round pick.

As far as who'll be there @ 23....I haven't seen Vontae Davis available @ 23 in any mocks...after MJenkins he's the first corner off the board.

With this combine Cushing will be gone by the time we pick, so will Maualuga. I'm not willing to spend a first round pick on a guy like Maybin who 'might' be able to play OLB in a couple years. I haven't seen Brinkley crack the 2nd round in any mocks either...but i haven't been looking that hard for him either, but he's had the knee problem and might be a better fit if he slips to us in round 2.

Matthews could be a good option though, but honestly I would heavily consider taking Connor Barwin over him.

It seems pretty logical to me that @ 23 the Pats will look to fill the OLB position (unless V.Davis slips) and then use our 2 second round picks to get a Safety (Chung or R. Johnson...and after BB's comments about the Safety position the other day it seems like he'd like Johnson) and a CB as their is more depth at CB in the second round than there is at OLB.

Getting the 34th pick or a pick early 2nd would be HUGE in this draft though!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

Z, I do remember you saying Clady looked lazy. He's probably better than Mayo or DRC, allowing 1/2 a sack in his rookie year and being All-Pro.

I'm not one to talk, because I made more Gholston comments than I should have, lol.

Here's a question for somebody. If we drafted Brace in the second round, how might he look playing WITH Wilfork? Especially if we drafted Laurinitis in the first. I can see some kind of 2-6 formation, or an asymetrical 3-4, with Wilfork, Brace, and Seymour or Warren, and 4 linebackers, including the speedy Mayo and Laurinitis.

Does anybody know of any NFL examples of using two nose tackles together?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dx7. Show dx7's posts

Draft 3

[Quote]I feel like BB is going to shock us all and pick someone none of us see coming.[/Quote]

He seems to do that every time. I got lucky last year and guessed Mayo in the first round. In 2006 a few draft pundits guessed Maroney. I think we can narrow our guesses down to 5 players most of the time for the Pats. I'll go out on a limb and guess the following five options for Pats number one pick:

Aaron Curry (if we move up somehow)
    Michael Oher (we need a LT)
    Brian Cushing
    Aaron Maybin
    Tyson Jackson

I'm starting to lean toward Jackson. Seymour is getting to be too expensive and he only has a couple of good years left.

-- dx

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

Jenkins was high 4.5's, unofficially. I don't think he lasts til us, but that will set him back. Looking forward to Davis, if he hasn't run yet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

This might have already been brought up cause i dont have time to read through all these posts but does anyone see Ray M. from USC dropping to teh Pats now that he has injured his leg at the combine? He would onlyhave to slip a few picks to get to the Pats.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 3

Chung put up a 4.47 in his second try, to go with his 25 bench reps. I can't see him getting past the first few picks of the second round.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidwa. Show davidwa's posts

Draft 3

It will be interesting to see who slides to the Pats. Every year a high quality talent slides further then expected in the draft. Wilfork is a good example of that. Last year was different because the Pats picked in the top 10. The Pats were able to still get Mayo after trading back a few spots. The Pats have a few pressing needs so it will give them flexibility in the draft. DB, LB etc. If BB sees a player that is BPA by far I think he'd pick almost any position except maybe kicker, QB. He might even pick another OL like he did in the Mankins draft or a WR It will be interesting.

Thanks for the updates RE the DB's, their results could really impact the Pats pick & ideally the Pats catch a falling star in the draft.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

Well if RM is listed at 20 and or around the 20th pick in the draft it is not too far fetched that he might slip some how and land at 23.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 3

Wow seems not be be a lot of speed with this year's DB's - Alphonso Smith small AND slow - 4.50 unofficial

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

Alphonso Smith really only ran a 4.5???? Thats insane! I mean if you are going to be that small you should at least be fast as hell. That might hurt him, yea he is considered the best cover CB/NFL ready CB in the draft but if he is 5'9" and runs a 4.5 thats not goign to help him. I wonder if he will fall into the 2nd round.

Sections
Shortcuts