Draft 3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Arr. I am sick of people talking about QBs at the combine. What a worthless evaluation for a position that doesn't require any of the athleticism the combine entails.

Anywho. Here is some buzz. Andre Smith didn'twork out. Jason Smith was very impressive and that might be the thing to have him jump Monroe.

Oher was unimpressive on the bench, which could cause him to slip some. Although I am not sure it matters. Mankins only did 21 reps. but he was supposed to be a thrid round guard. LOL.

Also guys, my boy Devin Moore had a private workout. Heis aKR/3rd Down back. Second day stuff. 4.41, 25 reps. Apparently every team had at least one rep there to watch him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

Aaron Maybin checks in at 250. Before and after photos:

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30372

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

I am already scared of what is going to happen after he puts up huge numbers atthe combine but lookscrappy in the drills.

Get ready for Gholston "Workout Warrior" II: The Revengening.

I can't wait for fifteen threads about how a player with his power and speed is a no miss prospect.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

On a better note two prospects I liked looked really good. And they are both Gamec0cks.

Jared Cook was the best TE out there. He posted a WR speed in the 40 at 4.5 secs. Was tied for 4th best in the Bench with 23. Posted the highest broad jump at 10'3" and the highest vertical (by quite some margin) at 41 inches. We already know he can run routes, and catch, and that he is a subpar blocker.

As a round two prospect I like him better than the available WR. And with hsi physical attributes he could easily split wide as well.

Another guy I liked for the NE styleline was Jamon Meredith. I wrote about how he needed to weigh in a bit higher than he played. He top-tenned the OL in the 40 yd bench press and the broad jump.

Very impressive from a pair of already impressive prospects. They are both solid second round kids, and I don't know how many day one selections (out of at least four) will go to offense, but because of their skills and how NE plays offense, I can't help but feel they are in the mix.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

Z, let's see how Maybin looks in the drills. 3/4 LB would be a new position, and we haven't seen him in space much. I know you're not partial to the Big Ten or Sophmores, but try to keep an open mind. Writing off a top flight sophmore as a bust seems a bit much.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

ZB, I completely agree with you and you did mention thatt you like Jamon Meredith in a previous post. Mayock said he was concerned about Meredith and questions why he got benched this year and why he was moved inside this year. Cook looked like a beast in that spandex get up and he surely helped his stock with that impressive 40 time.

I was also impressed with James Casey and Cornelius Ingram today. They both looked like they were in excellent shape and Casey put up 27 reps on the bench press.

I loved the slow 40 time from Pettigrew. I'm sure it won't matter but lets hope he slips to us. Mayock has him #8 on his Top 20 Board and he doesn't think the slow 40 time will effect his stock.

Oh no not a Workout Warrior II. I can only imagine all the threads now if Maybin puts up freakish numbers.

I'm curious to see how some of the top players like Curry, Orakpo and Everette Brown do during the combine. We soon will see!

" Florida TE Cornelius Ingram ran an official 4.68 forty at the Combine.

A torn ACL cost Ingram his entire senior season, but he's healthy now. He measured a robust 6'4/245 and could sneak into the draft's first day."

http://www.rotoworld.com/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

It just reminds me of Gholston.

He was a borderline lower 1st round prospect. He was a guy who showed up cut as h3ck at the combine. He benched the heck out of it, blasted the 40. Next thing you know he was on everyone's wish list.

I am not writing anyone off.

I like his speed, as I firmly believe in the speed rusher not the brute (see Ware). I like that he never takes a play off, unlike Gholston. The fact that he is Big-Ten doesn't bother me, because he isn't a skill position guy. I actually like his long/lean frame, as I feel these kind of rushers have an impact.

I don't like that there is limited tape on him--one real season. I don't like that he is going to be overvalued (he is already bumped up on two boards, and he just showed up at 248, but then I predicted that). And I don't like how he looks, because right now looks like a roider not a football player, and only part of that is superficial.

I think he is certainly in the mix, as I said when I was writing about who to watch at the combine. He did the first part-- show up proving he can weigh in. Now he has to prove he hasn't lost a step in the 40. He has to prove his hips look good, and a lot of muscle guys have stiff hips. And he needs to demonstrate the maturity that some say he has in interviews.

If they selected him at #23 I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep -- so long as that gets done. As it stands, though, if he completes my checklist he will go, much much higher.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

Ohio State ILB James Laurinaitis measured 6'2/244 at the NFL Combine weigh-in.

There is talk of Laurinaitis' stock dropping after he skipped the Senior Bowl, but NFL Network's Mike Mayock still has him as the No. 11 player in the draft. A pure inside linebacker, he'll appeal to non-Tampa 2 teams.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Draft 3

Drat Buckeyes at your peril.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Draft 3

Draft, that should say.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Draft 3

Although I suppose you could drat them, too.

"Drat you, Andy Katzenmoyer!"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

He is said to have excellent lateral quickness, so I'm assuming loose hips are a big part of that. We'll see in the drills. Gholston had very stiff hips. Two very different players.

I wouldn't call Maybin a muscle guy now. His proportions look very good for a 3/4 LB. He's just no longer grossly under-developed.

He'll probably go top 10-15, which is a bummer to me.

After this combine I get the feeling Cassel's pre-draft trade value will drop, as executives get excited about the potential of these prospects. A draft pick is never more valuable than right before the draft, and every day that goes by is a day that Cassel's trade value goes down, until after the draft.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

[Quote]Although I suppose you could drat them, too.

"Drat you, Andy Katzenmoyer!"[/Quote]

I hear ya! I was just updating the board with players that may be around #23.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Showing up 244 was huge for LJ. It puts him in contention for any team in the league, and inches him closer to where he needs to be.

We know he is smart.

To complete the package he needs to show his natural speed. Show some strength. And show that he is bar none the smoothest linebacker in the draft. I think he will.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

I like your breakdown Faucet, although my jaw would hit the floor if NE took at TE first this season. Especially considering the depth at the position one the team and in the draft.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

Quote from Faucetman in Matt Cassel Thread

"Cassel is going to KC for #34 this year and their 2nd round pick next year. I think that's it. This was probably negotiated with Pioli before he left so the Pats were risking nothing when they tagged Cassel assuming Cassel goes along with it. With pick #34, the Patriots draft Alphonso Smith. At #23, Brandon Pettigrew. At #47 Clay Matthews. At #58, Rashad Johnson. There are my 1st day predictions. All needs met and we still have 6 picks to make, lol."

I'm not sure how credible this site is but I found this a little while ago and would like to share it with you guys. Thoughts?

"The Lions are currently seriously considering dealing for Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel. According to my source, New England is actively looking to deal him.”

http://draftheadquarters.com/blog/?p=475

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

Faucetman,

I completely agree with you and I posted a couple days ago that if Cassel was to land in the AFC, I'd hope it was with the Chiefs for many reasons. I think what you propesd in the Chiefs deal could be enough to satisfy BB and the Pats to agree to that deal. I read this over at ProFootballTalk.com and came across this IMHO as smoke-screen to take the attention off a possible trade. Here's the link.

PIOLI THINKS CASSEL HASN’T SIGNED FRANCHISE TENDER

http://www.profootballtalk.com/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft 3

Well guys it looks like the combine has turned the draft over a bit. Andre Smith said he wasn't ready and Crabtree has a stress fracture in his foot. Oher is called a RT, ouch. TEs as a whole looked like they did well while the OTs lost some ground.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

I agree. There were some early suprises out there. I would say I can't believe how lackluster the big three did, but I can.

This draft is tremendously deep, but really lacks any player I would consider a bonafide top 5 guy. If there is one Iwould say B.J. Raji, but even that is a stretch.

On the plus side, there is middle first round talent in the bottom of the first, and lower first round talent through the top of the second. So it is a great season to have a ton of selections.

The bit about Cassel not signing the tender is interesting. From a personell perspective it actually allows NE to make offers to other FA players. They cannot sign them, but they can offer. Second, it lets Cassel have a little more control. He can work a deal out long term or whatever.

I wonder if it is true?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

Small school RB Rashad Jennings is a guy I really hope the Pats are interested in him. He had a strong showing on the bench-press and hopefully he can carry this momentum in to tomorrow. Here are his bench-press #'s and his height/weight.

Rashad Jennings of Liberty recorded 29 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press, the most of any tailback at the NFL Combine.

This drill is often knocked as being irrelevant, but it shows weight-room work ethic on top of pure upper-body strength. A power back who stood out at the Senior Bowl, Jennings (6'1/234) could go as early as the second round.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

ZB,

How did you think Oher looked today? I was a little surprised to see some of the top OL have pretty weak brench-press numbers. Considering how these guys are the biggest players on the field, I would of thought most of them could do at least 25 or more. I understand that having long arms is a disadvantage, but most football players start lifting in high school and you would think it's something they'd be familiar with and used to?

"Three NFL scouts told the Chicago Tribune that they prefer USC QB Mark Sanchez to Georgia QB Matthew Stafford.

Scouts cite Sanchez's superior feel for the game, which they think may help offset his inexperience. The Tribune's Dan Pompei believes that Sanchez could pass Stafford as the No. 1 QB in the draft if he works out well Sunday."

Chicago Sun Times

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 3

There have been several articles (http://ballhype.com/story/s==ources_cassel_accepts_pats_franchise_tender/ among them) saying the franchise offer has already been accepted. Anyway, it really doesn't matter whether or not he has signed off, NE has to provide for the cap space being tied up (otherwise, a major FA signing would result other guys being cut and/or a slew of existing contracts being renegotiated to get back under the cap). They have about $4-6 million cap space available at the moment. This would preclude doing anthing mafor FA-wise unless Cassel gets moved in advance.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft 3

I'm glad to see some of you coming around on J.Cook.

40 time
    Cook 1st /4.50 2nd Nelson/4.56

Vertical jump
    Cook 1st 41" 2nd Casey36"

Cook 1st long jump10'03"

This guy would have been fine in the hands drills. He played with no less than 3 QB's the past 2 years and lead his team in catches for the 1st part of 08'.

Ingram's techique looked weird in the pads/blocking drill

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Guys, BB on safties? Is this a vindication of our own tweener Meriweather? If so, does it mean he is more in the market for a FS to shore up the backfield? Does it mean he thinks some of the corners aren't a reall good fit at corner? Or just an explanation of the (obivous) way the league has begun to trend smaller and faster? On thing is for sure. Malcom Jenkins is probably the best FS prospect in the draft as well as the best corner prospect,but we all knew that already.

The defensive back prospects in the draft and how safeties are evaluated differently now.
    “There are some interesting guys here. There are some corners, there are some safeties, and then there are some guys that kind of fall in between. We’ll have to determine how they’ll fall in a particular system. I think that the safety position has become more and more of a corner position in the National Football League. There were times when some of the safeties, particularly the strong safeties, fit more almost like linebackers than they did as defensive backs. I think that’s changed gradually, but now to the point where your [safeties] a lot of times have to cover wide receivers or they have to cover tight ends who are very, very good in the passing game. It’s not guys running 5-yard hook routes, and stuff like that. The tight ends in the league, and it seems like just about every team in the league has one, can get down the field and make athletic and acrobatic catches … I think the demand for that position has changed and I think that’s changed the evaluation a little bit. So maybe some of those hybrid guys who played corner and played safety – like [Malcolm] Jenkins, for example, is a guy who played both, what his best fit would be for a team, where he’s most valuable, is certainly an interesting discussion for all teams.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft 3

What do you guys think of this guy as 3rd down Kevin Faulk type /future replacement? I heard no talk on him yet. I think he'll be late round or UDFA value player.
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ian-johnson?id=80654#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-overview

be sure to read the analysis