Draft 3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Draft 3

When all is said in done, I don't think much if anything will change with regards to where players will go come draft day. I feel that overall, many players didn't really step it up at the combine for the most part and because of this, teams will base their decisions more around game footage.

If anything, teams may be more open to draft day trades (not necessarily to us, but overall in general) as some teams may be down on some of the prospects as teams picking in the top half may feel that these players aren't elite. Don't get me wrong, this draft appears to be real deep but it seems to lack that real sexy, can't miss, elite type player that teams drool over.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

m

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

angel, those real sexy, can't miss, elite type players that team drool over are useally busts. V. Gholston was that guy last year and he will never be an elite NFL player. Matt Ryan was a high draft choice but a lot of people had questions about him last year and were not sure where he would go and he ended up being the best pick in teh draft. J. Mayo was not that sexy pick you speak of last year and he ended up being the best D player taken in teh draft last year. Sometimes its the under the radar type guys who make the biggest splash where as those "can't miss" players just sink to the bottom never to be heard from again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 3

I'd like to see more of Donald Washington - 45" and over 11' in the broad jump at 6' / 197. Only ran 4.50 in the 40 but he could be a nice little late round pick up

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

what does Washington play? CB?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 3

Washington's a CB from OSU - look spretty servicable in the agility drills wonder if he could play safety as well?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 3

Great job, guys! I've been reading along but unable to participate. This has been just about my only source of information for the past few months while I've been in Africa. Very much appreciate the insight and personnel discussions. I'm going to add my two cents to the discussion, but I doubt very much I have real value to contribute. :)

Oh, and where are you all getting the information about the combine? The official site doesn't update in real time, as far as I can tell, and I'm very curious about a few prospects numbers and performance in the position drills. This is an exciting draft for me, and I'm extraordinarily anxious to see how it turns out.

Also, with the potential for so many draft picks this year, do you think that we can completely revamp our roster and prepare for continued NFL domination? As far as I can tell, we really only have needs at a few positions--not counting players reaching the end of their career who will need long-term replacements at some point--and the depth in this draft should allow us to address the majority of our issues.

Like most of you, I'd really like us to shore up our coverage and pass-rush, but I'm torn on whether corner or safety is the way to go early on (or linebacker?), and I wonder if we should perhaps target versatility in a player over pure potential or stats. I'm surprised how much consensus we've reached, overall, in terms of needs and players, and I look forward to draft day. I hope we can choose wisely.

Z, you seem to be our resident guru, so could you answer a question or two for me? I don't know as much as I'd like. Michael Johnson seems to be an impact player--well, potentially--who has major attitude and consistency problems. If he fell to the late 2nd/early 3rd, do you think we'd take a chance on him? At the very worst, couldn't he do what Jarvis Green does now? For some reason he intrigues me.

What do you think of Jarron Gilbert? As far as I can tell, he seems like a baby Seymour, and I know he worked out with some Pats players during the 08 season. He's fairly raw, but his size, speed, athleticism and motor seem top-notch. We could use a better backup 3-4 end, and he appears to have starting potential down the road. Yours is the more informed opinion, however, and I'd appreciate a scouting report.

Random list of players I like in rounds 3 - 7 (though some may be gone well before then):

Chris Clemons
    Mike Thomas
    Louis Delmas
    Jarret Dillard
    Jamon Meredith
    Jarron Gilbert
    Captain Munnerlyn
    Connor Barwin
    Andy Levitre
    Pat White
    Jasper Brinkley
    Darius Butler
    Eben Britton
    Jared Cook
    Nic Harris
    James Casey
    Donald Washington
    Jarius Byrd

For the first two rounds, quite a few prospects catch my eye, but it seems that the posters here have covered most of them (Moreno, Chung, English, Harvin, Unger, Curry, Davis, Britt, Jenkins, Beatty, Nicks, Monroe, Raji, Nelson, Moore, Smith [three of them!], Maualuga, etc).

Totally unrealistic dream scenario: Detroit trades pick 20 and 33 for Cassel and one of the 4-3 teams converting to a 3-4 signs Pierre Woods, thus giving us an additional second-rounder and bringing our first day picks to a total of six in the top 64. Pretty unlikely, I know, but ahhh . . . that would ensure the most amazing draft in Patriots history.*grin*

- Reamer

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 3

I wonder if the new Lucas field has anything to do with the slower times - maybe a little plusher? Tho it didn't seemd to slow down Heyward-Bey any LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

Z, With the lack of elite talent at the CB spot those two safetys are much mor elikely to land with the Pats. i would be really shocked if we didnt sign at least one of those two safetys.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 3

Jenkins won't fall, because if teams see him as not fast enough for CB, they will have no doubt that he can be an all-pro safety. That is worth a high pick, and he will still be gone in the first half of the first round.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Draft 3

Hey Faucet: Where do you have Harvin on your mock draft? Does he last until the second/third round and could we pick him up there? Any new rumors on who might be interested in Cassell or are we going to have to wait until draft day? It seems like he's a huge key to this draft for us. BB seems to be tight with the Fresno State coach--do they have any stud players coming out this year we might grab in late rounds? OK Z, who's the ONE player you would take #23 if the draft was today? Thanks as always for great insight. PS Anyone know who's interested in the running back coming out from Michigan State?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

Harvin is a round one pick no doubt.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

Do you think Alphonso Smith from Wake Forrest will be there in round 2 now that he posted such a slow 40 time?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

I'm a little surpised to see how slow the DBs were today and I was impressed with how fast the Safties were today. ZB did you call Chung or what? Now lets hope the Pats actually draft him this coming April. Jenkins was supposed to be top dog for the CB position and now it appears he'll be moved to a safety position. I think most of us thought Vontae Davis wasn't going to be available when the Pats were on the clock and today he put that dream to rest with a solid performance today. Louis Delmas put in a good day as well and might have helped himself slip into the 1st round.

Alphonso Smith's 40 time was average but I got to watch the position drills and he looked really smooth compared to D.J. Moore and others. I don't know if he's worthy of the #23rd pick, but if the Pats can land a 2nd from the Chiefs or Lions, I wouldn't mind seeing them use it on Smith.

Was anyone impressed with Aaron Maybin? Connor Barwin had a huge combine the other day and I thought both USC guys(Cushing/Matthews Jr.) had good days as well. Aaron Curry deserves to go in the top 3 after that strong showing at the combine. What do you guys think about Brinkley as a 2nd round guy if he is cleared by NE's doctors?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

If Alphonso Smith slips into round 2 we should 100% draft him. he is the most NFL ready CB in the draft.

I would be ok with drafting either one of those two USC linebackers you just mentioned. They would both be good and Mathews JR has the NFL bloodline to boot and a very high football IQ

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

I think I'm jumping on Faucetman's ship and I think Cassel could be traded to KC for this years 2nd and 2010 conditional pick(hopefully a 2nd round pick(?). Pioli knows what he's getting in Cassel and he also drafted him a few years back.

I've been thinking about it and I just don't see the Lions pulling the trigger on Cassel. The Lions will probally like to use all their picks and try grooming them under new head coach Jim Schwartz. It's there loss and they'll probally continue to be cellar-dwellers for years to come.

The Tampa Bay Bucs think they have a future QB in Josh Johnson and they re-singed McCown already this off-season and we already know what the Vikings plans are.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft 3

I "get" Maualuga's game. I would like him to prove his athleticism. You don't use a first round pick on a "cog" you use it on a playmaker. And to make plays you have to be at the ball on time. Ne isn't the "well-oiled machine."

They have an anemic pass rush manned by a 34 guy who was a very good OLB (not great) and appears to be slipping. And they have nothing in the way of pass defenders on the perimiter. That isn't an ideal environment where a north-south run defender crunch defender can make a difference. It is the kind of environment where teams just move the ball around him attacking the obvious weak points.

Great post Z
    Now tell us how you really feel!! HAHA

I said in one of the other DRAFT threads that the longer I don't see RM the less I love him.
    With that said and Looking more to needs in the Pats D.I think Chung is the guy that could make the biggest impact in our D. Where it's coverage or run support. You said you seen him run with WR's and we all seen his POP coming down hill. 3rd and long or deep middle comes to mind. Barwin looks to be a good prospect as well if around later on.I do like Brinkely later on as you said. I hope to see Cook on the board when we look for a TE.

My question's are / Does C.Matthews fit our system? 240lbs OLB? He seems to be the 1 LB from USC that has upside left to show.He looked to have fast hips in drills.

Could you give me a read on McKillop LB from Pitt and Veikune OLB from Hawaii?

By the way Z
    Your guy Ramese Barden posted the time you wanted for him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

Draft 3

hey guys great reading,
    i feel the pats need a saftey or olb that can cover and get after the qb, don't have any names. the pats went to the super bowl with two rookies in the secondary, samuel and wilson. also thru the season i thought that the interior of the o-line was a killer, koppen got crushed by the nose guard on alot ot plays that were on teh goal line and short yardage, if one of the tackles falls i think the pats take them. does anyone know of interior linemen that are first round worthy?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft 3

Sorry for the slow posting Z
    I'm almost 36 LOL.
    You got your reply posted before I got the
    Matthews question up. I $uck.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft 3

It's probally just espn stealing your story. Lord knows the arod story is worn out and they don't know where to turn with the RM injury.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft 3

Any read on McKillop or Veikune. I think Caldwell could work. Lined up across from Raji in the SR Bowl an done pretty well. Plays 3 inside spots atleast

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Draft 3

Z, i agree with you on the interior linemen that are 1st rounders, from my perspective there arent any guards that say "look at me," of course I'm used to guards being smaller with speed to pull which isnt used as much in the pros. If i had to choose between Unger and Mack, i would choose unger because he is proven to be more versitile.
    I also just looked up the stats on Meredith i do like him as a round two pick, the one thing that is screwing up my rankings is andre smith ballooning up, and i mean ballooning up, meaning he might not be a LT or a T at all but for now Meredith fits in the second round quite nicely.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft 3

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Draft 3

Hey, I don't think everyone should be too worried about Matthews. It sounds like he's doing well at the combine. I think the key is his heart and his motor. I can remember when Teddy B. came out (Arizona ?) and people were saying he was too light and too slow. I think that experiment has worked out ok. And if he indeed does have an upside, what's to lose? OK Z, I posed a lousy question. Let me try again. IF the draft were tomorrow (just playing here), which two or three players do you think would be there at 23 that would make sense for the team and which one would you take? Also, you obviously like Chung and he's doing great at the combine. Where do you think he'll go?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 3

If we could come away from this draft with both Chung and Barwin I would do flips.

Sections
Shortcuts