Draft 3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

At this point I am really down on the RB crop. Did you see Moreno's time?

I know you have to take combine digits with a grain of salt, but I look to see if these kids are dedicated enough to practice hard and learn a task in a short period of time.

It looks sloppy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft 3

I hope this don't move English out of our range. It could make him more of a rush LB though.
    Adalius Thomas is 6'2" 270lbs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 3

If English performs well at the combine or can put up numbers close to Orakpo, I think he'll be out of the Pats range and a team like the Texans will be all over him to sure up their D-line IMHO.

If Keith Brooking gets released from the Falcons, would you guys on the board think he could be a good fit for the Pats. If he was added he would be able to give the Pats depth at ILB and it could give the Pats some time to develop a future replacement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

I wouldn't be surprised if BB was interested in Nic Harris in the late third, to do what Tank Williams was supposed to do, but better, in a situational role.

I also wonder what schematic options James Laurinitis might open up, since he and Mayo could cover a whole lot of ground together. I'm not sure how that might work. I do know that if we lost Wilfork and/or Seymour, having two light ILBs might be a serious issue.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Now begins the two most exciting days for this year's combine. LB/DE today and CB/S tommorow.

This really is where the "meat" of the draft is at. I still think the OL group is good, and the WR group is good at the top. But both lost a little luster in the past few days. The TE group is deeep, even if Pettigrew came down a bit, a handful of TEs really showed some athleticism out there.

But how this draft will be remembered begins today really. I can't remember so many 3-4 OLB guys out there.

I am excited to see Sintim, Barwin, Maybin, English, Orakpo, etc, etc, and feel this really is the position to be drafting at #23 just based on who is there.

And even JL who stands to really help himself after missing the Senior Bowl.

And tommorow will be equally interesting because it can make or break a whole class of safeties and really define whether we are seeing an elite CB class or just an average CB class.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Draft 3

The RB from Conn. Brown was very impressive. Pat White as well. Don't think Pats will take him, they'll have 3 qbs after Cassel gets traded (O'Connell,Guttierez and Brady). NFL Network mentioned Belichick spent a lot of time with Percy Harvin. If they go offense first round maybe its an indicator they like what they saw out of Crable, Redd, Guyton, Whilhite and Wheatley in 08.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

The latest benches are in.

Some more resultsto come.

Orakpo 31
    Cushing 30
    Everette Brown 26
    Jasper Brinkley 26
    Aaron Curry 25
    Maualuga 23
    J. Lauranaitis 22

I am a little suprised that Rey Maualuga only did 23. I am not at all suprised about Cushing and Orapo. Orakpo is a huge dude, and Cushing looks like he hits the roids. Everyone else is where I would figure.

I am watching for Maybin's results, English's results, and Barwin's results. Of course, the reports from the drills are most important. And 40 times will help and hurt a lot of these guys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

This might be a great season to stab at a RB later in the draft. It seems that none of the "names" are really as good athletically as they seemed.

But names like Devin Moore, Cory Sheets, Ian Johnson, could be hanging around later, and they really are the best athletes out there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft 3

Connor Barwin posted a 4.64 40 time. Orakpo posted 4.70...he's a complete beast and will be gone by the time we pick in the 1st. I like Barwin, versatile and a really good overall athlete...seems like a fit for the Pats. What will be interesting is to see if BB likes him enough to 'reach' for him @ 23...because so far on most mocks he's a top of the 2nd round pick at best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Yeah, I was pleased with the DE/OLD times so far. At least the ones they have reported. There aren't any speedster times so far, but 4.7 is very respectable.

4.66 is very good for Barwin.

Michael Johnson had a 4.75 and I would have thought him to be a touch faster.

I still can't find Maybin's time. Is he even running?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Wow. Just glancing at the numbers, a lot of these DE/OLB hybrids showed up looking more like ends. People put on weight across the board, and none of them really have standout 40 yrd times.

Not that is particularly matters too much, because it is extremely rare that a rush linebacker has to run 40 yards full speed, but it is worth noting.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

On the flip side, the native 4-3 OLB/ILB guys look to be helping themselves. Aaron Curry had a very impressive 4.54, and Cushing had a really good 4.64.

Cushing selling me on Cushing. LOL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Draft 3

Ian Johnson is very interesting, seemed like he played at Boise for 8 years. His numbers at the combine were real good.

Barwin had a 40" vertical leap. Mauluga had a sub par workout.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

I know. Just watching this combine, I have the feeling it is going to hurt Maualuga. Not only that but he came in weighing less than the 255 that he was listed at. And he looked a little flabby.

Connor Barwin looks like a Tremendous athlete. I wouldn't mind picking him up in the second outright. Versatile, intelligent. He stood up and got down. And this proves he can move.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Both Laurinatis and Maualuga looked like very average athletes.

Guys that weigh 245-9 shouldn't be posting 4.8+ 40 yard times.

Thankfully, there was a very strong showing so far from the OLB crew, and the DE OLB spot looked strong as well.

I am prett much willing to guarantee that Maualuga continues to drop in the rankings after this. And he won't even do the drills. I had him 19th on my board, but that is going to be adjusted.

I doubt JL even makes it into the first round at this point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Has anyone heard anything about Sintim? He was there, but is he even working out?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 3

Barwin has been a complete beast today, and said that he thinks OLB might end up being his best position. Need to get this guy in the 2nd.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 3

Sintim did run the 40, I think it was unofficially in the 4.7 range.

If we are looking at wide receiver, I'd like to go with Robiskie. He looks like an extremely safe pick at a very unsafe position. I was very surprised to see he ran a 4.47 yesterday, as speed was viewed as his main weakness.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

No. I never listen to those guys. They are selling a product. Their job is to cheerlead anyone that can build interest in the draft.

Maualuga looks sacarily like a two down linebacker out there at times, and those proves half of the doubts i had before the combine. He looks slow and he looks small. And watching games from USC only shows that when he is on an all-star team playing inferior opponents he can run up and makes big hits.

If you don't have a question about any prospect than that is fine. I have questions about all of them. Including him based on where he played and what kind of athlete he seems to be.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Yeah, I caught his time. It was respectable for a OLB/DE and sort of what I expected.

As a guy with native 3-4 experience I think he bears watching. Although a switch inside might be a good thing for him at the next level.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

So Maualuga has to wait until pro day to show what he has. I am guessing that will be a very important thing for him.

I will put him in the hold category with Knowshon Moreno because after watching the tape it appears he popped something in his dash. And Moreno slipped at the start.

With some disappointing scores from some very high profile prospects it opens a question.

Who else is looking to have a big pro day?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Draft 3

I havent seen any of the Defensive coverage so maybe somebody can answer this for me, have the officical times been way off the unoffical time ala runningbacks. I think Ian Johnson ran an unoffical 4.3 but his offical was a 4.4 high, i think the recorders were on crack. Its not that big of a deal if everyone has the same descrepincy but if not some shady stuff is going down.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 3

MAYBIN RUNS A 4.78

Penn State linebacker Aaron Maybin just ran the 40-yard dash in an unofficial time of 4.78 seconds.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

I haven't heard Gruden say a bad word about a single player all week. None of them do. They talk about how great they are, and if their scores don't match up then they move the conversation. Forget the grain of salt, I just don't take it.

But in the interest of not drawing the ire of the Gholston faithful that have shifted focus to Maualuga this season, we should really move on.

Cushing will leave the board before Maualuga. You can take that and put it in the bank. People are really impressed with his interviews, and he showed much better timed speed than I expected. The monster bench didn't hurt.

Most scouting agencies had him rated over Maualuga anyhow. I think with the combine he made himself a top 15 selection easily. I still have questions about his actual talent, and his physique, but my questions about his athleticism have been answered.

I still don't think he is top ten, but between the Skins, Broncos, Bills, Saints and Texans, I would be a little suprised if one of them didn't pick him up.

I don't think B.J. could play anywhere on Ne's line. He is way too short to play 3-4 End, and is a little slow. But he is the first very impressive NT prospect since Wilfork. Ron Brace also looked good at the combine, and he could be a NT option later on.

I have B.J. Raji top five in talent, and I have him going to the Browns at #5. If he makes it past them he won't get past the Packers/49ers at #9/10, but I think that undervalues him. He and Jason Smith are really the only guys I would want to take in the top five, no questions asked. Although Curry and Jenkins are right up there, but in a stronger draft class I wouldn't have either of them in the top five.

Larry English didn't look 275 huge out there. But I think it was a statement by him that he wants to play End. As I thought. Who would blame him? It is easier, and you make more money. I know BB is looking at him. But like a few players he seemed to come out trying to show size not speed.

Maybin didn't have impressive speed numbers, but looked like a muscle bound freak. Just fro watching Penn play I wonder if he is the kind of guy who can stand and operate in space? I don't worry so much about his speed, because liek Everette Brown, he is really known for am explosive first step, which is more important at the edge.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

Maybin has a very high moter and I am kind of shocked that Cushing could be selected before Ray Maualuga considering most said Mauugla was a top 10 pick last year.