Draft 3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft 3

Connor Barwin looks like the pick @ 23...the guy put up numbers in every single event at the combine. If we're looking to replace Vrabel...this guy is the second coming.

Cushing will def be gone and I still don't think Maualuga falls to NE...that would be a different story cuz I think we'd grad him and hope Barwin falls or flip one of our second rounders with a later round pick to move up and get him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

Vontae Davis benched 25, same as Curry.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

I didn't know but I am not suprised, Vontae is the best pure athlete coming out. Wait until his 40 yard dash time and jump.

He is on my wish list. The more I think about it, the more it sounds perfect.

They could draft him to play safety or corner. I think it would require jumping up a bit.

I don't think it will take a 1st to get Barwin. He has only played one season at DE, and has never played LBer which is where he is headed.

I can't see a player moving from the 3rd to the 1st from a strong combine.

And his combine wasn't freaksihly strong. It jsut proved what we knew: he is a strong athlete. I think to be sure of getting Barwin you really need to use a high second. You can go cheap an dhope no one moves until later, But if they go another direction in the first, he is a great option.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

I didn't know but I am not suprised, Vontae is the best pure athlete coming out. Wait until his 40 yard dash time and jump.

He is on my wish list. The more I think about it, the more it sounds perfect.

They could draft him to play safety or corner. I think it would require jumping up a bit.

I don't think it will take a 1st to get Barwin. He has only played one season at DE, and has never played LBer which is where he is headed.

I can't see a player moving from the 3rd to the 1st from a strong combine.

And his combine wasn't freaksihly strong. It jsut proved what we knew: he is a strong athlete. I think to be sure of getting Barwin you really need to use a high second. You can go cheap an dhope no one moves until later, But if they go another direction in the first, he is a great option.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

Z, perhaps even more impressive than Davis' 25 is Coye Francies' 24, while weighing 20 pounds less than Davis (185 vs 205).

That is simply unbelievable. Percy Harvin weighs 192 and did 19, and I thought that was impressive.

Aaron Curry weighs 254, and did 25. He weighs 59 more pounds, is a fantastic athlete, and only did 1 more the Francies.

It may or may not be silly, but I think that bench press will really help Francies, and move him out of our range in the mid-second round. He'll probably dazzle in the other drills too, and the only knock on him is a gun possession charge that was dropped, and that was 3 years ago.

Let me know if you guys find any comparably amazing performance in the bench press on a pound for pound basis, or anything close.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

My boy Devin Moore!

He did 27 at 190lbs. And he ran a 4.41, which is good for fastest among the RBs.

The issue? He wasn't invited to the combine. I think it has mostto do with the fact that he played for a terrible team in the mountain west and is smaller than how people imagine a RB to be.

He is a RB from Wyoming and is the all-time leader in total yardage, and rushing yardage. He had 1300+ last seaon. Has returned kicks for TDs. He also has liek 70 career catches.

He is a early day two prospect. Great hands, great second gear.

He is my late round guy, he could be a devastating weapon with the natural abilities here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Draft 3

Clay Matthews had a big performance. Sub 4.6 40. Lots of OLB/DEs. Got to pick right, there's definately a Vern Gholston or Mike Mamula lurking. Warren Sapp said Gholston doesn't like contact, that's about the worst possible trait for a LB to have.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 3

At the moment I think we'll get KC's #34 so I'm thinking take the CB at #23 then perhaps Brinkley at #34.

it'd be nice if we got Tony Gonzalez along with #34 in your scenario. Then CB Davis @ 23, OLB Matthews @ 34, a safety @ 47 like Chung (boards fav) or Delmas/Anderson (guys linked to Pats by Reiss). Then hope for a solid O-lineman late 2nd, either Light or Neals' future replacement and go from there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 3

If we draft a DE/OLB with our 1st or 2nd pick I would assume/hope such a player could start right away and be faster and get at the QB better than Vrabel. With Banta-Cain signed you could have him and top pick share one side, Thomas backed up by Crable (or maybe woods) at the other side. Then Vrabel and Bruschi can split time next to Mayo inside, keeping the other's legs fresh and both prepared for a 19 game season.

draft imm. impact CB and Safety in the first 2 rounds, get another via free agency, maybe bring in a guy like Fred Taylor over Jordan, give Maroney one more chance, have a healthy Tom Brady and we're good to go.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 3

thanks Faucet

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft 3

[Quote]Z,

I was a DRC fanatic last year and rightfully so. Not knocking Mayo obviously since he turned out great but I wasn't a huge Gholston mouthpiece. I mentioned him a few times as someone to consider but if you remember, Cromartie was my guy and everyone thought he'd be too much a reach. So far, so good for him.

Right now I'm still a huge RM fan and if by some miracle he falls to us, I'd be elated. But I agree, he'll be gone. For LBs that might be there at #23 I like Cushing, Maybin, Brinkely and Matthews in that order. For CBs I like Davis, Moore then A. Smith.

At the moment I think we'll get KC's #34 so I'm thinking take the CB at #23 then perhaps Brinkley at #34.[/Quote]

Faucet,

Great call on Cromartie! I'm obviously still glad we didn't take him @ 10 though...where we reached for a guy who was barely considered a 1st round pick.

As far as who'll be there @ 23....I haven't seen Vontae Davis available @ 23 in any mocks...after MJenkins he's the first corner off the board.

With this combine Cushing will be gone by the time we pick, so will Maualuga. I'm not willing to spend a first round pick on a guy like Maybin who 'might' be able to play OLB in a couple years. I haven't seen Brinkley crack the 2nd round in any mocks either...but i haven't been looking that hard for him either, but he's had the knee problem and might be a better fit if he slips to us in round 2.

Matthews could be a good option though, but honestly I would heavily consider taking Connor Barwin over him.

It seems pretty logical to me that @ 23 the Pats will look to fill the OLB position (unless V.Davis slips) and then use our 2 second round picks to get a Safety (Chung or R. Johnson...and after BB's comments about the Safety position the other day it seems like he'd like Johnson) and a CB as their is more depth at CB in the second round than there is at OLB.

Getting the 34th pick or a pick early 2nd would be HUGE in this draft though!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Haha,

I was a Rivers and Mayo guy, but I was all about last year's corners. I remember my rant against people who will remain nameless who thought it was silly to draft a corner in the first. If you remember I was perfectly fine taking Cromartie myself.

I am just glad that this year (perhaps after seeing what a D-Backfield that *actually* consists of Hobbs and some other guys) people are more receptive to the idea.

But I also liked Cromartie and McKelvin. McKelvin had a fine rookie campaign himself. I remember the knock was that there was no consensus top CB, and I think that scares people. And it was true there was no Jenkins last year (OK there was one LOL) who was that top ten DB.

But minus Jenkins this year's DB crop is very similar, and even better IMO. It is different because it lacks the return guy/CB like McKelvin and the long sprinter like Cromartie.

But Vontae Davis is the best CB athlete to leave college in a while, and between Moore and Smith I see two of the most polished cover men that have left as well. In fact as pure cover guys they are both the best in the draft.

Although even in retrospect I think Mayo (or even Rivers barring his injury) were better long term selections-- I still wish NE had an extra pick to grab one of those two cats last season.

Haha, I also wish they had gone with Godfrey, I still remember them passing on him for Wheatley and scratching my head because of the wrist.

But frankly, this season, the ILBs scare me. None of the existing ILBs are the kind of dyanamic athletes that Rivers and Mayo (or Pat Willis,or A.J. Hawk, or Karlos Dansby) were.

I "get" Maualuga's game. I would like him to prove his athleticism. You don't use a first round pick on a "cog" you use it on a playmaker. And to make plays you have to be at the ball on time. Ne isn't the "well-oiled machine."

They have an anemic pass rush manned by a 34 guy who was a very good OLB (not great) and appears to be slipping. And they have nothing in the way of pass defenders on the perimiter. That isn't an ideal environment where a north-south run defender crunch defender can make a difference. It is the kind of environment where teams just move the ball around him attacking the obvious weak points.

Like I said, I had him at 16 and he is now at 19. He could recover with a better pro-day.

I look at it I think I would rather wait and take a chop at someone like Brinkley in the third or fourth, given the more obvious needs at other positions.

In fact, I like all Gamec0cks in the middle with Jamon Meredith, Cook, and Brinkley as guys I would tab on the hinge of Day one and Day Two.

But I like an OLB and a couple Dbs as the top twoor three selections. It is just where the top-end talent is this season, IMO. Just like last year had some good ILBs and CBs. This year seems to have some good selections at CB, OLB/DE and S (which is a crop I am higher on than most).

Something like moving up a few spots to grab Davis, busting out a selection on a player like Chung or Delmas and then using another one to grab Connor Barwin. That gives NE some serious young talent to play with.

NE would have as young corners Wilhite, Wheatley, Davis, and as safety prospects Davis and Chung/Delmas. And at OLB prospects Ne would have Crable and Barwin with the inside being manned by two prospects like Brinkley and Guyton.

That gives you layers of contingency talent and young depth, sprinkle in some veterans, resign the defensive line and you have a very solid core defense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

Z, I do remember you saying Clady looked lazy. He's probably better than Mayo or DRC, allowing 1/2 a sack in his rookie year and being All-Pro.

I'm not one to talk, because I made more Gholston comments than I should have, lol.

Here's a question for somebody. If we drafted Brace in the second round, how might he look playing WITH Wilfork? Especially if we drafted Laurinitis in the first. I can see some kind of 2-6 formation, or an asymetrical 3-4, with Wilfork, Brace, and Seymour or Warren, and 4 linebackers, including the speedy Mayo and Laurinitis.

Does anybody know of any NFL examples of using two nose tackles together?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

No I said he was dumb and hadn't played any top competition. There are two kinds of busts, the non athletes like Dan Connor who people try to explain why their non-athleticism is nothing in the face of their football skills, and the gymrats like Mamula who dominate on physical skills alone and people talk about hwo they can be coached up. OK there are three, if you include the kid who keeps getting injured.

It is rare that a player is the complete package like Mayo.

Yeah, I was knocking Clady in the same way I am knocking Maualuga. My main objections then were need and bust rate, when taking a linebacker is about the safest thing you can do, and all people mentioned when I brought it up was Katzenmoyer.

I still think NE can afford to take an OL in the late second or third. Their line isn't the best, but it isn't the problem either.

With RM, I am basically trying to say he is a good prospect, but not this BPA panacea that NE simply cannot afford to pass up because the franchise would fall apart and he certainly isn't a pair of superbowl tickets. People talk about hallelujahs and naked cartwheels. I will do that when NE can sack a QB or break up a pass from medioce (Jamracus Russel has his best game against us??) Quarterback. Not when they have one more run stuffer and still get gashed on 3rd and seven.

On draft day, you will also remember that I noted that Clady landed in the best place in the NFL for a player to land and that is Denver with the Alex Gibbs zone blocking system. So at that point I thought he had a bright future.

Haha, Alex Gibss, now that is a name I wish NE could bring in from Texas. LOL.

Half of what a player does and how a team does with a player depends on fit. I still think Gholston would have had a decent rookie season if he had landed on a team with a Tampa-2 style defense.

I just looked at Gholston and did not see a 3-4 OLB. His speed was fine, his size was fine. But he wasn't the intellect nor the type of athete i see as an OLB. Too stiff and monodirectional.

My main concerns (which aren't overwhelming) with Maualuga are coverage and actual range. The ability to make plays in the open space instead of in the typically crowded USC field. And a few questions about maturity/intellect.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 3

Soooooo.

This is it. The big day.

CBs and Safeties work out.

Two of guys posted really good bench times that i expected last night when Chung and Davis ripped the bench 25 times, more than some linebackers I might add.

SO I cannot wait to see these incredbile athletes finish strong in the 40.

I think everyone is expecting the Jenksins to pull a Curry and just show why he is what he is.

But as for realistic players, I am looking hard at Moore and Smith, I think the speed is definitiely there for both of them, but they need to show it. And they both need impeccable verticals, a stat here that actually matters for DBs and WRs.

I am looking at the safeties and CB safety tweeners in the coverage drills. That includes Chung, Delmas, Davis, Johnson, and Sean Smith in alphabetical order.

I think this group is going to impress some scouts today. I am psyeched to see one of the strongest parts of the draft go up there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dx7. Show dx7's posts

Draft 3

[Quote]I feel like BB is going to shock us all and pick someone none of us see coming.[/Quote]

He seems to do that every time. I got lucky last year and guessed Mayo in the first round. In 2006 a few draft pundits guessed Maroney. I think we can narrow our guesses down to 5 players most of the time for the Pats. I'll go out on a limb and guess the following five options for Pats number one pick:

Aaron Curry (if we move up somehow)
    Michael Oher (we need a LT)
    Brian Cushing
    Aaron Maybin
    Tyson Jackson

I'm starting to lean toward Jackson. Seymour is getting to be too expensive and he only has a couple of good years left.

-- dx

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 3

Jenkins was high 4.5's, unofficially. I don't think he lasts til us, but that will set him back. Looking forward to Davis, if he hasn't run yet.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

This might have already been brought up cause i dont have time to read through all these posts but does anyone see Ray M. from USC dropping to teh Pats now that he has injured his leg at the combine? He would onlyhave to slip a few picks to get to the Pats.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 3

Chung put up a 4.47 in his second try, to go with his 25 bench reps. I can't see him getting past the first few picks of the second round.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidwa. Show davidwa's posts

Draft 3

It will be interesting to see who slides to the Pats. Every year a high quality talent slides further then expected in the draft. Wilfork is a good example of that. Last year was different because the Pats picked in the top 10. The Pats were able to still get Mayo after trading back a few spots. The Pats have a few pressing needs so it will give them flexibility in the draft. DB, LB etc. If BB sees a player that is BPA by far I think he'd pick almost any position except maybe kicker, QB. He might even pick another OL like he did in the Mankins draft or a WR It will be interesting.

Thanks for the updates RE the DB's, their results could really impact the Pats pick & ideally the Pats catch a falling star in the draft.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

Well if RM is listed at 20 and or around the 20th pick in the draft it is not too far fetched that he might slip some how and land at 23.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 3

Wow seems not be be a lot of speed with this year's DB's - Alphonso Smith small AND slow - 4.50 unofficial

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 3

Alphonso Smith really only ran a 4.5???? Thats insane! I mean if you are going to be that small you should at least be fast as hell. That might hurt him, yea he is considered the best cover CB/NFL ready CB in the draft but if he is 5'9" and runs a 4.5 thats not goign to help him. I wonder if he will fall into the 2nd round.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Draft 3

When all is said in done, I don't think much if anything will change with regards to where players will go come draft day. I feel that overall, many players didn't really step it up at the combine for the most part and because of this, teams will base their decisions more around game footage.

If anything, teams may be more open to draft day trades (not necessarily to us, but overall in general) as some teams may be down on some of the prospects as teams picking in the top half may feel that these players aren't elite. Don't get me wrong, this draft appears to be real deep but it seems to lack that real sexy, can't miss, elite type player that teams drool over.

Sections
Shortcuts