Draft 4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

You can't see the posts there?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft 4

A curious pick would be some one like Moala in late 2nd or mid-3rd. A DT that could play DT in a 4-3 alignment or spell Warren or Seymour at DE. If some one like Beatty is available in early 2nd I can see them doing that too. The funny thing is, I still believe that the Pats have LBs (Crable and Guyton) that have potential. Could also see a TE or WR in the first three rounds (Robiskie, Coffman etc...).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Yeah hog,

I wish NE could fill up OLB, CB/S, O, WR, and DT/E on dayone,but it seems unlikely.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft 4

- z

I'm not sure if this is what faucetman sees but the text gets cut off. The wrap or something isn't working.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Yeah, that happens to some people. So we just scrap the old thread and start anew to keep everyone involved.

The old board never had those issues.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

Draft 4

with all the free agent moves we can now draft the best avaliable rather than draft for need. This puts us in a great position to get better across the board. If one of the top two R.Bs fall to us we can release B.J.E and move sammy to fullback. line faulk out as a pass catcher/blocker. What about percey harvin? Let him learn slow gain a few pounds, he can replace faulk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Draft 4

WE have some options in the DB now but I expect that BB's #1 wish is for a stud OLB in this draft. Neither Ruud, Redd or Woods are the guys to replace Vrable. We badly need a beast pass rusher. I'd love to see jason taylor take that spot for 2009, but he's not the long term answer.

We also seen over the years that we can never have enough CBs. I expect at least one more CB to be drafted. Following that, I see the priorities in the draft as DL, OL and TE.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 4

Well I cant see us not taking a safety in teh first 4 rounds, we need a safety and there are a lot of good ones in this draft so i know the threads says what if we didnt take a LB, CB, or S but we will take a safety so i cant leave it out. I see us taking either Delmas or Chung at some point whether it be round 1 or 2. But after that I would say its wide open. I could see us drafting Robiski teh WR from Ohio State and i would really like that pick as i think he will be a solid WR in the NFL. We could go O line early and offton int his draft if we dont go D D D that is. I would say our top 3 needs leaving LB and CB out would be S, WR, and OL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 4

m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 4

yea but when you draft for need it useally blowsup in your face. BPA is always teh best way to go.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft 4

Sorry ZB, I thought the original post inferred no LBs or DBs on day one. You'll note that RB is absent from my list. I still believe that OLB and SS are potential day ones, I was asked to give an alternate scenario. As with all mock drafts; it is purely hypothetical.....at this point anyway. I like Barwin's raw ability (on the tape I've seen) my concerns would be a) he's only started one college season at his current position and b) I don't know where he falls in the draft (late 1st early 2nd). Alot of players could rise and fall based on pro days.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft 4

Sorry ZB, I thought the original post inferred no LBs or DBs on day one. You'll note that RB is absent from my list. I still believe that OLB and SS are potential day ones, I was asked to give an alternate scenario. As with all mock drafts; it is purely hypothetical.....at this point anyway. I like Barwin's raw ability (on the tape I've seen) my concerns would be a) he's only started one college season at his current position and b) I don't know where he falls in the draft (late 1st early 2nd). Alot of players could rise and fall based on pro days.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Oh, I was just continuing the regualar meandering thread style.

After OLB and CB, I see Safety as a weak point.

Looking down the road, DT/E is an expensive spot to fill as is OT/G, at least if you want quality, so that is a point.

And obivously WR and TE, as there is some age there, and pending departures in Thomas and Watson.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chaucer. Show chaucer's posts

Draft 4

Past performance says that BB will trade out of at least one of his 2nd round draft picks in favor of a pick or picks for next year. If a solid defensive lineman is there at 323 in the first round don't be surprised if the Pats take him. Green is no longer the valued backup he was previously and they need a stud to rotate in with Seymour, Wilfolk, and Warren--and to protect them if one of them gets injured

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Draft 4

I still have to believe that if the Pats go OLB (I know some may think this is too high, but very well could be Barwin), then I fully expect #34 to be traded away for a 2010 first rounder as I believe their to be greater value in doing this given where I believe players are ranked according to this draft.

Also, I have to believe that if Alphonso Smith is still around by the #47 pick, then BB will be all over him. Otherwise, I really hope Chung is still available at this pick, because he'd be an amazing pickup at this spot.

#58 will either be BPA or traded away for a 2010 2nd rounder.

So in my opinion barring us getting Maualuga, I feel that a successful draft would like like this:

#23 - Connor Barwin OLB

#34 - 2010 first rounder (so long as it's to a team that may net a top 12-20 pick in return)

#48 - Alphonso Smith CB/Pat Chung SS

#58 - 2010 2nd rounder (so long as it's to a team that nets us a top 40-50 pick in return)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I would be suprised if NE shed two 2nds this season. One is enough.

I still like Chung, but I am also sober. Of the four top safeties, I think the most likely to land in NE is Rashad Johnson. He is the intellectual play maker type that NE usually gets, and he comes from Nick Saban's defense to boot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I was going to say the same thing Kyle.

NE has taken two first rounders before.

I think it depends on how much they like the draft and where they are at, and how they feel about next season's draft.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Draft 4

Angel, there is zero chance that BB trades a 2nd this year for a 2nd next with nothing extra. I agree that #58 might be traded, but not both 58 and 34. Not unless someone is paying dearly for them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Draft 4

I'm not saying that nothing else would be included in those trades that I mentioned, it's just that the major pieces that I felt coming our way is what I decided to emphasize. We may get a 3rd or 4th rounder back this year as well under those scenarios but the those are luxury picks in that you can afford to gamble on them where as I feel that with a 1st or 2nd, you really can't afford to miss with those (at least not too many timea anyway).

I feel strongly that we will deal some picks away because I don't perceive this to be a particulary good draft. It seems that most of the best prospects keep disappointing us with their workouts.

This draft has good players but noone that I would consider elite or anywhere close to great. The Pats are lucky to have multiple picks where they do because that's where the greatest value is this year.

However, a lot depends on who slips and what players are still available at #23 & 34. I think #23 has a huge impact on what happens at #34. If we find a way to get Maualuga then we will likey keep #34 and go OLB. But if #23 is an OLB, then I feel #34 gets dealt. I'm going out on a limb with my prediction, so you have heard it here first folks. I think BB really was hoping for a first rounder in exchange for Cassel, and I think he gets it, but it requires waiting an extra year to get it!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft 4

I could see one second or the 3rd, but not two seconds; they're fairly valuable (translation: low cost good value).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Draft 4

The Pats have 6 picks in the firs 3 rounds (Comp included) and 11 picks overall. With all the FAs they've been adding, they will likely not have the room for all of those players. So how will they reduce that amount?

They could trade use thier 3nd to move up 5 or 6 spots in the 1st if they want a player higher in the draft, say a Rey Maualuga, Everette Brown or Aaron Maybin.

They could use their 2nd to move up even further in the first (to 9-12). I doubt they want to pay that price and salary.

They could trade their 3rd to move up from the 58th spot in the 2nd to a high 2nd (maybe ST Louis or Seatle) and give them 2 picks in the top of the 2nd. I would love this move as high 2nd round picks represent great value in terms of tallent/salary. It may require them to use the #47 plus the 3rd to move up to the top of the 2nd. Still probably worth it.
    The Pats could trade for future year picks. It ussually takes a high pick in the round traded (top 10) to move up one full draft round, even if its for the following year: The high 3rd last year traded for Indys 2nd this year. Maybe its the #34 for a 1st next year, but I still think the #34 is a great pick.
    How about bundle some picks to move up in the 2010 draft? The Redskins (as usual) don't have a 4th round pick this year. Let's say we're in the 4th round this draft and Washington sees someone high on thier board is still available. They don't have a pick to get him. Trade NE's 4th plus the 6th and 7th in 2009 for Washington's 3rd round pick in 2010. Very good value for NE, Washington gets a 3 for 1 deal.

Some how, some way, NE has to reduce their # of picks in the 2009 draft. How do you think they'll get it done?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

I noticed that no one has commented in the recent thread about compensatory picks, so I'm copying the link provided in that thread:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=307909

(To clarify, I didn't start the thread; we have tartarus12 to thank for that.)

Anyway, if we do end up with a 3rd, 5th, and 6th, does that allow us even more flexibility/luxury picks? Either way, I cannot explain how excited I am for this year's draft. I have a feeling it's going to be epic!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]Angel,

I don't understand why BB would trade the 34th pick, #2 in the second round for a 2010 1st when that pick could be as low as 32 overall. To risk moving up only two spots and waiting a year seems foolish. I could see trading #58 or #47 for a 2010 first but I think BB likes having these 2nd round picks. They are great value and the talent is nearly as high as first round picks. Success rate is virtually even between 1st and 2nd rounds but a 1st round bust if far more costly.

I could see us taking Barwin at #23 and A. Smith at #47 if he's there.[/Quote]

It depends on which team you trade with obviously. But regardless of that, what you'd be really banking on is whether or not you feel that the talent in round 1 of next year's draft is better value than the #34 pick this year.

I base my assumptions of #34 being traded based upon whether or not we go OLB at #23. I just feel that #34 is too high for any CB or S considering that none of them impress me enough to warrant that high of a pick considering that we could still pick up a good one at #47.

As far as going OL with whomever slips to #34, I pose this question to you, would you rather draft the 5th or 6th rated player available (in a weak draft) considering how high this pick is, or be patient and wait a year and hope that with a 2010 first rounder somewhere between 15-30 that you may end up with a player that is at worst 2nd or 3rd best at his position?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

Draft 4

Its all about Timmy Tebow next year. BOOYAH

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft 4

The issue I have with trading up to get Mauluaga is that the Pats brass would have to be certain he was available (eg; draft day deal). I should have mentioned, like many have, that the 2nd that gets traded is a late second and NOT the Cassel pick.