Draft 4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Draft 4

Amazing workout by Barwin.

He is getting so much attention, could he go in the top 10?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Rex Ryan was there, so the Jets could be a threat at 17.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]Rex Ryan was there, so the Jets could be a threat at 17.[/Quote]

I can practically guarantee that the Jets will not draft Barwin at #17! Last season the Jets signed Calvin Pace to a big contract to play OLB, then they used the #6 pick on Vernon Gholston to play OLB. This year the payed big money to sign Bart Scott to play ILB. So, basically over the past year the Jets have committed lots of resources in terms of huge contracts in addition to a top 10 draft pick on linebackers. Therefore, it's highly unlikely that they will then go ahead and spend yet another first rounder at that position considering their other needs. I think that we almost have to pick Barwin at #23 if we really want him because I'm sure now that he will not make it to the second round with teams like the Ravens, Giants, & Miami all possibly going LB in the first round.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

No. I don't think he goes in the top 10. There are other pass rushers with good workouts and speed.

Don't forget the workout that Maybin posted. Dont forget how highly regarded Orakpo is.

Although I have been saying all along that this kidis on the very short list at #23, it is really nice to see other people come around.

When it comes to NY, I wouldn't figure them to draft another OLB. They already have Pace and I am sure they don't want to just eat Gholston's money.

But like I said, Barwin won't be there at #34.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Do you think the Jets will invest in another OLB? They have Pace, Thomas, Gholston, etc., and I'm not familiar with their other back-ups. Seems to me that they have bigger needs than OLB.

Consider: if Barwin goes higher, someone else goes lower. It's a simple equation, because there's only a limited number of spots to fill in each round. In effect, if the Patriots don't get the guy they want, most likely their number two guy is now available--or even better, someone falls a bit.

I'm at the point where #34 is more valuable than Peppers, but that's just me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Yeah, that is the great part about a deep draft. There are a ton of linebackers, and if there aren't enough spots on teams in the first, someone extremely talented slips down. I can't help but think NE will find a way to get their guy from the bunch.

I feel like the same situation applies to the WR position. At #47 there should be someone excellent for NE to take there, Iglesias, Robiskie, maybe a Kenny Britt? So attacking those positions sounds smart.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Z, I feel the same way. Given the depth at certain positions--and its pleasant coincidence with our needs--we ought to feel confident that we can target LB, OL, WR, and maybe S/CB. After that it's pure gravy.

Oh, do you get the feeling that Alphonso Smith is slipping a little? I haven't seen him as high in drafts lately. Other prospects are creating more of a buzz. But after watching more of his videos, especially his interview on NFL.com, I'm convinced that he's the most intelligent and instictive of the CBs in this class. I know he's short, but is 1 - 2 inches really that big a deal? I imagine that positioning yourself properly more than makes up for those inches.

CB 1 is 6'1 and runs a 4.3 but takes a false step now and again, and relies omre on athleticism than an understanding of the game.

CB 2 is 5'9 and runs a 4/5 but is always in position, understands the defense, and sits in on QB meetings to better understand offenses.

Which do you take in this scenario? If he's still available early 2nd, then I think his value is too great to pass him up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I am torn with Peppers.

When it was thought it would cost #23 ++ it was a big no.

#34 makes it a little more enticing. But at the same time, I have doubts about his physique. It isn't the height necessarily, but the build. He is kind of thick to be a linebacker. Just watching him makes me wonder if he has the open field ability to not put the team in jeopardy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Is this where safeties who can cover become more valuable? Hm . . .

I wonder if Mayo signals a shift in ILB as well. He's smaller, quicker, better in coverage. If our inside backers and our safeties are all cover guys, perhaps we can get away with a bigger front 3 - 5?

Ideas to ponder, I suppose.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Yeah, maybe. but that is kind of a bad way to go about it. It makes one part of the field easy to pick on. And if you move someone to cover up, it weakens another instead.

I mean that Peppers, would be, hands down, no contest, the largest OLB ever. As it stands even as an elephant DE, he would be huge. Willie Mac was 6'5" 270, and that was already pushing it.

So adding some inches and pounds makes me start to wonder.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 4

I'm not torn with Peppers. I don't want him at all. I'd much rather see us not tie up the annual cap space (realistically somewhere around $8-11M) so we can extend Wilfork and Mankins. I'd rather us draft a Sintim, Barwin or Sean Smith (if we don't take them at #23) at #34 for $1M a year for the next several years and have a younger/faster ILB/OLB/SS, rather than Peppers, who'll be able to rush the passer on third down, but be a coverage liability at OLB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Hm. I certainly wouldn't want to weaken one area in order to cover up a discrepency in another, but do we kow for sure that Peppers would be a liability in coverage? Ahhh, the not knowing is killing me!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Yeah, I agree with you guys that NYJ is an unlikely destination for Barwin. I was just struck that their head coach showed up at the Cincinnati pro day, given that there were 10 other top program pro days going on at the same time.

I guess I'll chalk that up to Rex Ryan being a former coach of theirs, and perhaps looking at Mickens and other players as well.

I'd be very happy with Maybin at 23 as well, although I think Barwin would be my preferred pick.

I think Maybin might be a slightly better pure pass rusher, given his insane first step and insanely long arms. But I think Barwin will be better at every other OLB skill, as well as toughness.

But if Barwin's gone at 23, and Maybin is there, it will be an acceptable consolation prize.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Does anybody have Maybin's arm length measurements? What about English, Sintim, etc?

I just found Barwin's. 32.5" arm length and 10.0" hands. Pretty good.

http://gobearcats.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/cinn/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/ProDayLog

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Draft 4

Not to go off the topic of Barwin (who I think is great, and just a question, does anyone know where Barwin would have ranked as just a TE), but I was reading NFL.com article about small school/canadian schools kids that could get drafted, and I think that Jamall Lee looks like something. He could be a late round option as a developmental back. He is massive at 6-1 and 225 (thats B. Wells, and Rashad Jennings size) and runs a 4.39 ish 40 which is simply amazing. He runs high which isn't good for a guy his size but he can be tought to run lower, he also doesnt look to be afraid of a little contact. I think he would be a good commitee back, which NE is starting to use, I think he could be a good pickup if we miss out on some other backs

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Yeah, those measurables are kind of unreal.

What the heck is Bishop's? LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

And I think developmental back might be the right term. I can't imagine the program he is from is much more complex or competitive than top high school programs in the U.S.

But wow, what an athlete.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Draft 4

Bishop is a college in Canada, so i mean its CFL country, its decent but not like a big 12 school. And i know highlights are just the highlights but on the two Youtube video's i found he simply looks dominante making a lot of long runs

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidwa. Show davidwa's posts

Draft 4

J Lee sounds like an intriguing talent. Can he catch screen passes & block? The Pats will need an eventual replacement for K Faulk.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Draft 4

It looks as though he can catch, in the highlight reel he had a nice catch in double coverage. Bishop runs the spread so I dont think he was called on to block all that much, but blocking is another thing that could be worked on.
    He rushed for 4,296 yards in college, He is the son of a CFL RB, he also had a vertical jump of 44 inches, he is considered on of the top prospects in the CFL draft.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidwa. Show davidwa's posts

Draft 4

JoshuaTree,

I've been a fan of K Faulk since his LSU days & he really worked at it to become a good blocker. He's always had good hands & speed & an ability to make tacklers miss. I think the Pats have a good group of RB's but I'm not sure if they have a RB with his versatility that they can develop for the future. J Lee sounds like he could be an every down type of back although it would be an adjustment from playing at Bishop to the NFL.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Draft 4

David there would most deffinetly be a learning curve, as with all rookies, his might be a little larger. He just has some things that can't be taught, and if has the work ethic than he could be a very complete back

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft 4

I thought Barwin moving up to around #23 was crazy. I guess I'm out of line again.
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/
    Scroll down to Cincinnati's Barwin in Demand.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft 4

Does anyone think that the #23 or 34 pick become valuable if Freeman is on the board ? Like Cleveland and Quinn a player could fall to #23 or #34 that alot of teams would covet making either of those picks valuable as trade commodities. Much like Hester and the SD pick.
    For the record, if Spikes has a good senior campaign the Pats will not have a shot at him in the 2010 draft. He'll be top 10 material (heck he is already). Same goes for Taylor Mays.