Draft 4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 4

So Arod,

you would:

draft Brace to battle for pt w/ Wright behind wilfork and have Bruschi/Guyton @ MLB this year, followed by a big MLB FA signing (who are the FA's nxt year here) and let wilfork walk

over

Re-signing wilfork (even tho he costs more than a MLB) and drafting Maualuga @ 23?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

If I were NE I would seriously look at adding Brace. They could have a one year audition. Brace isn't as finished as Fork was coming out, but he has some upsode because of his size.

If he works out well as a rook, NE could save some cash and let Wifork walk. If he doesn't, they get a stout backup NT on the cheap.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

I'd be very tempted if Brace was there at 34, but definitely not at 23.

If Maualuga was there at 23, that might make it even more tempting to take Brace at 34, because having such a strong ILB behind the nose tackle would make it somewhat easier to survive Wilfork's departure.

Wilfork will be able to command as much money as he wants, and it could very well be a hundred million dollar deal if that's what he pushes for, especially if he has a good year. I would not want to be at his mercy next year, and I bet the Pats regret not locking him up long-term before the Haynesworth deal was signed.

Having Brace and Wilfork on the team together might be somewhat awkward and insulting to Wilfork, but maybe we could try some interesting formations, and Wilfork will still be motivated by scoring big on the open market. We could always trade Brace down the road if we were able to come to an acceptable deal with Wilfork.

I know that RMaualuga and Brace at 23 and 34 would not address our need at OLB, but maybe Taylor gets signed before the draft, or an arrangement is made for his signing after the draft.

If Maualuga fell to us at 23, and Barwin/Maybin were gone at 34, and OLB was somehow addressed in some other way for this season, and Brace was there at 34, it would be something to strongly consider.

There does not appear to be a Seymour fill-in available at 23 or 34. An eventual replacement for Mankins would be another thing to consider at 34, or somebody like Beatty, if the OLine could be shuffled around.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Draft 4

Brace #34 would be a major reach. There are about a dozen players I would take instead.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Interesting point Pats Fan. Brace does weigh 30 pounds more than Wright, but I'm sure there is something to your argument.

They say baseball pitcher rely on their rear ends to no small extent, and Pedro's butt was explained to be a significant source of his power.

I agree that Brace wouldn't seem like a great value at 34, and I know he didn't face many double teams playing next to Raji.

But as more and more teams switch over to 3-4, the price of nose tackles will be skyrocketing.
    I imagine some 5 teams will be bidding for Wilfork next year, and we will be but one of them.

I don't know what the long-term solution at Nose is, but I'm skeptical the solution is out-bidding 4-5 other teams for Wilfork's services, especially after the Haynesworth deal.

Hopefully BB has something up his sleave, like a long-term contract for Wilfork this off-season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Draft 4

2008 Wonderlic Scores. I'm not sure how accurate these are, but they're fun to look at.

Note that Mayo and Wheatly had scores at or near the top of their respective groups.

http://potencial.wordpress.com/2008/03/23/2008-wonderlic-scores/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Draft 4

Arod, I only watched a couple BC games, but I never really noticed Brace.

He might end up being a good player, but I wouldn't bet a #34 on it. He might still be there in the 3rd round.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

It is hard to say with Brace. I could see hom going somewhere between #33 and #50. That is a real short span. But there will be interest. My jaw would hit the floor if he were there in the third. And he would never be there when the Pats' 3rd rounder rolls around.

It is hard to imagine NE not looking hard at this kid. And the longer he lasts, the harder the look gets. Brace at #47 is great. If for some reason he slipped to #58 he is the steal of the century.

For the toher poster, Brace EATS double teams alive. If he is a one-trick pony, that is it. He doesn't make plays, but allows others to make plays, simply because he can ragdoll an O-lineman on his own, so they need two of em.

If he had a quicker first step, he would be top five material jut like Raji. As it stands, Raji has more clout because he can project as an actual pass rush threat.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

Draft 4

Brace started for a whole year without Raji, not sure how he did/the team defense did that year, i belive the team made the confernce championship but there should be plenty of film on him handling doubles and what he looked like without a top ten talent next to him

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Draft 4

Faucetman..Jackie Macmullen wrote the book...Bird Watching...a history of Bird's total carreer as a player, coach, and executive. A more proper comparison would be to Bill Rusell....all things being equal, Russ and Bird could out think the he## out of any opponent on the floor...and that was an integral part of their greatness....15 on the wonderlic score...maybe Larry Birdsall....sure as he## not Larry Bird.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Brace did the same in 2007 as he did in 2008.

Raji is the one who didn't face the double team. He was the undertackle. Brace was the one who faced the double teams more often.

They are two different prospects.

Brace is more of a nose tackle. Raji is more of an undertackle, although I think Raji could definitely play some nose if he worked at it.

Both are very quick, but Raji has more straight line pass rushing speed and agility.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

It is the thrid best conference.

I never said it wasn't.

Butthe gap between it and the Big-12 is significant.

And none of them are close to the SEC.

The bottom line to me, is that USC would only play a schedule worth playing in one of those two conference, prefereably the SEC. The terrorize the PAC-10,and it makes it hard to gauge defensive players, the offenses they regularly play in the Big-10 and Pac-10 (their normal schedule) are not complex and get blown up easily.

You would be able to see a lot more tough downs if they had to play teams like Georgia, LSU, Florida, Bama, etc, year in year out on a regular basis. Then you could really asess what say Clay looks like when he isn't running past air, or what Rey looks like when he actually is targeted.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

That Brace would be a downgrade from Wilfork is not in dispute. The debate is whether some 70-100 million dollars could be better spent shoring up less expensive positions than Nose Tackle, especially since 4-5 teams will be bidding on Wilfork.

Hopefully he is locked up this offseason, but Wilfork becomes a lot less attractive in a crazy bidding war.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft 4

Agree with ZB on the conference debate. The SEC is the most competitive. Willis and Mayo case in point, but the old adage about how the NFL will find you if you are a good player is true. Case in point that Canadian fella you mentioned. Reuben Mayes revisited. Alot depends on the systems and the players (cf: recruitment). I do think you get a better assessment of a player based on the level of competition he faces; in the SEC you play a very good team at least every other week.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Not just that, but you play two or three flat out dominant teams every season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft 4

True, ZB. Another thing I`d like to add is that it is very difficult to find a good 3-4 nose. All the more reason to lock up Wilfork.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

So I had, for some reason, a distinct dislike for Victor Harris, but I've been looking into his game recently, and I like how physical he is. He's really raw, but he's currently rated as a third rounder. I'm more than willing to gamble a third on this kid. His biggest knocks are his straight-line speed and his footwork. Both can be improved, however, and in one highlight I saw him run stride for stride with Darius Heyward-Bey, who is freakishly fast. Track speed does not equal football speed.

Also, check this out: http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1105992/index.htm

Not saying Harris could be as good as Law, but I definitely see some similarities: same size and physicality, same nose for the ball, same ability and willingness to help out in run support. Law was truly special, but I don't see why Harris couldn't become a very solid starter--or at least an upgrade over the loveable smurf.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Draft 4

23rd- Connor Barwin DE/OLB/TE
    34th- Eben Britton OT or Merideth, depends who's avaialble
    47th- (if not traded for 2010) Sean Smith CB
    58th- Paul Kruger DE
    89th- Jasper Brinkley ILB
    3rd Compensatory- Ramses Barden WR (BTW 6'6" 227lb 4.50 40)
    120th- Terrance Taylor DT (can play nose)
    4th Compensatory-Courtney Greene SS
    6th Round-Alex Boone OT
    7th Round-Josh Mauga ILB
    7th Compensatory-Jared Bronson TE

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 4

Pats7393, good mock. I read an article recently about Barden and I'd be really happy getting him in the 3rd round. It seems like his stock is rising and he might go higher, though. 6'6 with 4.5 speed can't be taught. I also think Sean Smith might go higher, but everything fell into place that would be a killer draft.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

That is very similar to my last mock

#23 Barwin
    #34 Smith
    #47 Britton or Meredith or Mack

#58 trade

#89 Brinkley

The more i think about it, the more Britton sounds like he needs to be here.

I think Smith has a huge chance of rising right out of range though, but he is a good pickup either way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Draft 4

Thanks, I also think Smith will be gone but that was my one pick that was more of wishful thinking than anything else.

I looked at this guy Brinkley and I was surpriced how I have not heard of him before, doesn't have Mayo speed but it's a big hit type guy and will stuff anything in the middle against a run.

Man can you imagine Moss, Barden, WW, Lewis and Galloway in a 5 receiver set? that will be sick to watch.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]That is very similar to my last mock

#23 Barwin
    #34 Smith
    #47 Britton or Meredith or Mack

#58 trade

#89 Brinkley

The more i think about it, the more Britton sounds like he needs to be here.

I think Smith has a huge chance of rising right out of range though, but he is a good pickup either way.[/Quote]

Z you are a smart guy lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

Pretty good Pats, not a bad mock at all

#23 Connor Barwin
    #34 Ebon Britton
    #47 Patrick Chung
    #58 Trade
    #89 Jasper Brinkley
    #97 Coye Francies
    Rd 4 Rames Barden
    Rd 5C Andy Kemp
    Rd 6 Devin Moore
    Rd 6C BA
    Rd 7 BA

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]Pretty good Pats, not a bad mock at all

#23 Connor Barwin
    #34 Ebon Britton
    #47 Patrick Chung
    #58 Trade
    #89 Jasper Brinkley
    #97 Coye Francies
    Rd 4 Rames Barden
    Rd 5C Andy Kemp
    Rd 6 Devin Moore
    Rd 6C BA
    Rd 7 BA[/Quote]
    Here's my updated with the comp picks and trying to have some fun with it:

23rd-Connor Barwin OLB/DE/TE
    34th-Traded to KC 2010 1st and 2009 5th 131st
    47th-D.J. Moore CB
    58th-Larry English OLB/DE (or Paul Kruger DE)
    89th-Jasper Brinkley ILB
    97th-Ramses Barden WR (6'6" 227lb 4.50 40)BB wants him he'll take at 58
    4th-Ricky Jean-Francois DT/DE
    5th From KC (my mock) Gerald Cadogan OL (possible LT)
    5th-Otis Wiley S
    6th-Alex Boone OL
    6th-Derek Nicholson ILB
    7th-DeAndre Wright CB

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Yeah, #34 seems like the right spot to grab Britton.

I really want NE to force Matt Light to RT sooner than later. IF a guy like that can get it done in the next couple seasons, great.