Draft 4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Faucet, I would be so happy with that draft! This is just about my favorite draft so far. I can't even begin to explain how exciting that would be. The only thing I'd change, potentially, would be to take James Casey instead of Cornelius Ingram, but I'd be happy with either one.

That would be a lot of trading up, but we'd still end up with eight players, which is probably the maximum we can afford to add, both from a monetary and personnel standpoint.

The only disappointment would be missing out on Everette Pedescleaux, who I think will be a beast at the next level. I'd rather keep our sixth rounder and hope that Unger falls a few more spots. Or, heck, I'd even pass on Gilbert (who I like a lot) and take everyone one slot sooner in order to nab Pedescleaux with the 6C pick.

Gilbert is more athletic and a better pass-rusher, but he's not as stout against the run. He was used primarily to penetrate into the backfield. He's uber-talented as a big DE in the 4-3, but I don't know if he can play five-technique effectively; at only 288 he may not have the bulk to take on double-teams. Pedescleaux, on the other hand, absolutely destroys blockers one-on-one and I've seen him push back double-teams. He's enormously strong, and deceptively athletic for a 6'6 310 guy.

Ideally, we end up with both. I think they could both be starters in time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]
    With all these picks we can do whatever we want. How about this?

#15 (23/58) Rey Maualuga ILB
    #34 Julius Peppers DE/OLB
    #42 (47/6th) Max Unger C/G
    #89 Jarron Gilbert DE
    #97 Cornelius Ingram TE
    4th (4th/7th) Pat White QB/WR/ST/WC
    5C Johnny Knox WR
    6C Quinn Johnson FB
    [/Quote]

I don't think the Pats will make a move on RM based on personality and what he scored on his written test in the draft. Also the money for a top 15 is higher than at 23 and if Peppers comes on board where's all this money come from? If anything the Pats will trade to even later in the draft where they can still pickup, Barwin, Matthews (who BB likes) or ILB Laurinaitis in the 1st, I have them picking up ILB with the 89th Jasper Brinkley.

Cap wise does not make since to bring in Peppers and move to 15 for RM. Is Laurinaitis that much of a drop from RM? I don't think he is but I'm not BB so we'll see.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Draft 4

23rd traded to Titans # 30 and 2010 3rd (titans get DT)
    #30 from Titans-James Laurinaitis (Barwin goes to dolphins at 25)
    #34 from KC traded to Atlanta for 1st 2010 (Atlanta gets LB)
    #47 Larry English OLB/DE
    #58 Jamon Meredith OT
    #89 Ramsees Barden WR
    #97 Ricky Jean-Francois DT/DE
    4th traded to Tampa for 2010 3rd
    5th Otis Wiley S
    6th Traded to Bears for 2010 5th
    6th Alex Boone OT
    7th DeAndre Wright CB

And Jason Taylor gets sign.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

no way the 4th gets traded for 2010 3rd, or 6th for 2010 5th, neither the Bears nor Bucs are that stupid. I don't think we trade #23, and English probably won't be there at #47.

#23 Connor Barwin
    #34 William Beatty
    #47 William Moore
    #58 Trade for 2010 2nd, 2009 4th, Raiders
    #89 Jasper Brinkley
    #97 Coye Francies

Rd 4A Rames Barden
    Rd 4B Brenard Scott
    Rd 5C Andy Kemp
    Rd 6 Trade
    Rd 6C Best Available
    Rd 7 Best Available

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Draft 4

7393-Why would the Patriots move back to pick number 30, for only a 3rd round pick in 2010? For a 2nd round pick in 2009 maybe....
    #34 pick to a team like Atlanta for their 1st round pick in 2010 would probably not be that great, Atlanta is a rising team

This is a draft with a lot of depth? Why trade out of a lot spots? It seems like they would want to trade up for that special player that they are looking for.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

It struck me a couple days a go that because this is such a deep draft, with so many players being essentially similiar in skill sets and styles, that it almost doesn't matter who we pick up with which picks. In fact, as long as we get studs with 23 and 34, I'm pretty sure we'll end up with an absolutely fantastic draft, or at the very least several starters for the future.

Look at a list of the top ten CBs, OLBs, OL, or WRs. They may have slightly different talents and will impact games in different ways, but their overall team contributions will likely be similiar in terms of production. Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but it seems to me that we're pretty much set no matter what happens.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]It struck me a couple days a go that because this is such a deep draft, with so many players being essentially similiar in skill sets and styles, that it almost doesn't matter who we pick up with which picks. In fact, as long as we get studs with 23 and 34, I'm pretty sure we'll end up with an absolutely fantastic draft, or at the very least several starters for the future.

Look at a list of the top ten CBs, OLBs, OL, or WRs. They may have slightly different talents and will impact games in different ways, but their overall team contributions will likely be similiar in terms of production. Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but it seems to me that we're pretty much set no matter what happens.[/Quote]

I totally disagree with you, it very much matters whom you pick! My school of thought is that if there are several players whose talent seems equal, then to me it's a cause for alarm. The reason being is that common sense indicates that not all of these so called "equally talented players" will have as good of careers as on another (it's not gonna happen). Therefore based on your opinion, these players haven't done enough to create separation from the pack which to me, means that the potential of picking a bust is very high.

That said, I feel that Barwin & Maybin have started to create some separation from the pack at OLB. Sean Smith has started to create some separation from Alphonso Smith & Darius Butler at CB. I doubt that we'll spend a high pick on WR this year and as for OL, we may go there at #58 if this pick isn't traded.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Right, which is why only one or two players at each position ever make an impact in the NFL in each draft cycle . . . ?

Sorry, I just think that there's a lot of talent to go around, and we have six fairly evenly spaced draft slots in the first three rounds, which means it doesn't really matter a whole lot which direction we go. I'm utterly confident that BB will find starters at at least three or four positions, and quite possibly upgrade the backup spots at another few.

Also, it's purely a matter of opinon, but I disagree that Maybin and S. Smith have distanced themselves from the pack. If anything, I have Maybin rated as my fourth bset OLB prospect, and S. Smith as the fifth best CB.

In other words, by virtue of our difference in player evaluations, we're proving my point: the top five or ten players at certain positions in this draft are all very good and all very likely to enjoy a productive career under BB.

Can we agree on that at least? :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I agree that Smith and Maybin are risers at this point. Well, Smith. Maybin is merely justifying the hype he recieved prior to working out. So he isn't rising as much as resurfacing.

Don't underestimate Maybin's stock. In some ways he is raw, but in others. . . for instance there is more tape of him standing (and working welll in space) than there is for any other DE/OLB in the draft. I just think he is a wait and see project, and would take a while to bring along. The jump from Big-10 football to NFL is huge, and that is when you are a senior. But he has the tools. Unlike Gholston, he is a great athlete, and remarkably fluid for his build. Not just a body builder, muscle machine.

I wonder what his wonderlic is??????

As for the trade up? At this point, I can't help but think that there is really only one player NE might wnat up a few spots for and that would be Tyson Jackson if he managed to slip. Maybe that would get action for #15 here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

And Maybin's arms are even longer than Johnson's. 35 3/4 or something. That is huge, especially going forward as he develps more functional strength.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Draft 4

Trade picks #23 & #89 to Chicago for #18 to move up for Ray Maualuga. #18 Ray Maualuga ILB rank 1 #34 Connor Barwin OLB rank 4 #47 Duke Robinson OG rank 1 #58 William Moore SS rank 2 #97 Keven Ogletree WR rank 13 (4.34 40) #124 Tony Fiammetta FB rank 1 #170 T.J. Lang OT rank 12 #199 Keven Huber P rank 1 #207 Lydon Murtha OT rank 20 #235 Jake Ingram LS rank 1. The Pats will pick the best available player at each pick to fill future needs, after the immediate needs for ILB, OLB, and SS, are filled.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]Trade picks #23 & #89 to Chicago for #18 to move up for Ray Maualuga. #18 Ray Maualuga ILB rank 1 #34 Connor Barwin OLB rank 4 #47 Duke Robinson OG rank 1 #58 William Moore SS rank 2 #97 Keven Ogletree WR rank 13 (4.34 40) #124 Tony Fiammetta FB rank 1 #170 T.J. Lang OT rank 12 #199 Keven Huber P rank 1 #207 Lydon Murtha OT rank 20 #235 Jake Ingram LS rank 1. The Pats will pick the best available player at each pick to fill future needs, after the immediate needs for ILB, OLB, and SS, are filled.[/Quote]
    Below is part of an article in NFL.com, the value of the draft is where NE has most of their picks. To trade up with a tight cap is probably not the best solution. IMO RM is not the type of player you go and do anything possible to get. JL is just as good of a player and will be availalble at 23 if they really want an ILB. There are also a couple of ILB that will be there late in the second round. You want a guy that gives TB some snaps to rest not take his place this year. Why I believe RM will not be a patriot unless he falls right into their lap much like VW did.

5. First-round grades will be few
    The more I talked with personnel directors, the more I realized that most teams will not have 32 players with a first-round grade when the evaluation process is over. It appears closer to 20 to 25 guys will receive a first-round grade. That makes the top 10 picks of the second round very interesting, and a number of teams really want to get there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Yeah, I'd rather have Laurenaitis at 34 and #89 than move up from 23 for RM.

89 May very well be a future starter at Safety, TE, CB or some other position.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]Yeah, I'd rather have Laurenaitis at 34 and #89 than move up from 23 for RM.

89 May very well be a future starter at Safety, TE, CB or some other position.[/Quote]
    At 89 I like Ramses Barden although his stock is moving up quickly but it's expected on a 6'6 230lb WR that runs a 4.50 he can become Randy's understudy and take over in a few years.

If Laurenaitis is not available, Darry Beckwith or Jasper Brinkley are also an option. Beckwith is ranked higher than Brinkley but I think is because of Brinkley's injury there's a question there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

I think Barwin and Laurenaitis could be there at 34, but I think JL has a better chance of falling there.

JL would seem to compliment Guyton better than RM, since JL could definitely play 3rd downs and cover tight ends or running backs. RM would seem to replicate what Guyton does, albeit better. We still wouldn't have a great solution on 3rd downs, unless it was 3rd and inches and RM would be good at stopping the short run up the middle.

JL also would have more ability to play MLB in a 4-3, where Mayo could easily move outside.

I think he'll be there at 34, and that would be a great place to take him.
    I think a better prospect will be there at 23, and I'd include Barwin in that group of better prospects.

It's a real tough call, but I'd say the choice is RM at 23, JL at 34, or neither.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Draft 4

I don't have the concern about RM for that, too. The Pats can rotate him out in passing downs for Guyton or a DB. It frankly doesn't matter if he'll play just 2 downs. The role we need filled is only a 2 down role to begin with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Don't forget Beatty. He could have been there working all three out. UCONN has a great crop this season. At least three players who could be in that #23-#58 area.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Draft 4

Faucetman, you make a great point on Beattie potentially replacing Kaczur with no cap hit.

Personnally, I've never been a big Kaczur fan anyway.

The thing about Beattie is that he has a rather thin frame and so he could get pushed around a bit. But adding weight and muscle should be a pretty easy proposition.

Beattie would be our most athletic OL by far. I like this pick, especially @34.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

n

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 4

UConn has an OLB (more of a 4-3 one) named Cody Brown who should not make it to Day 2 of the draft this year.

I'd be ok w/ Butler @ 23 and ecstatic if we got him at 34... I'd be ok w/ Beatty at 34 and ecstatic at 47... I'd be ok w/ Donald Brown at 47 and ecstatic at 58...... I'd be ok w/ Cody Brown at 89 and ecstatic at 3C.

you know what I mean?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 4

So....could we have Beatty fall into our laps at 34 or 47 (Loadholdt could be a similar OT at picks 47/58) and then in between day 1 and 2 of the draft cut Kaczur... gain 1.8m in space... then trade a day 2 pick (like 4th rd.) for a vet player (Tony Gonzalez was mentioned) who you then can restructure his deal?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Draft 4

23 to 97 is a coin flip, in later rounds I'll like to see the pats pickup Pierre Banks, they guy reminds me so much of Harrison. He should be there in the 5th unless the secret gets out so shhhhh don't tell anyone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Draft 4

I'm watching a replay of NFL Network Path to the Draft.

Mike Mayock said he timed Darius Butler @4.38.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

I think Beatty will go in the first also. I would bet on it. He might be a bit of a boring pick at 23, but it's something to think about, since it's the only likely place we could draft him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Wow. Butler's silky smooth coming out of his backpedal. I'm impressed.

Did you guys see Michael Lombardi's most recent mock? He has Maualuga falling completely out of the first round. I highly doubt that happens--or if it did, that the Lions would pass on him--but could you imagine if we got him with 34? I think I'd faint!

Right now I'm completely convinced that this is the rainy day we've all been waiting for. Time for BB to use the draft picks he's hoarded. I'd like us to aggressively trade up, especially into the second round, in order to pick up a LT, ILB, CB, and OLB. We can snag a safety and WR later on, and maybe an extra OL or DL, a third-down back, and a fullback. But those first four are essential.

I can't wait to see Light move over to RT. I will leap for joy.

Sections
Shortcuts