Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Draft 4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft 4

That's a good post JD...thanks for hoisting that up on the board.

Sintim seems to be quietly lurking right now...but I think he's a solid pick in the 2nd round.

Still don't like Maybin...look at him in the pic trying to catch that pass, he looks like he doesn't know how to catch. I know he's not a DB, but I guarantee you Barwin looks much more comfortable catching the football. No way Maybin makes that play James Harrison made in the SB...Barwin at least might.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]I agree that BB loves to stock pile picks and he will trade a current pick for a sure-to-be higher future pick if he feels there is nobody he wants where he is at and he's happy with where the team is. If you look back two years before we went 18-0 and we just traded for Moss and Welker I was telling everyone that I didn't see how more than 1-3 guys we drafted could make this team. (turns out only Meriweather made the 53 man roster) We were so loaded.

I can't say that now. Some of these recent signings of our own players will not make the team. BB has been doing this over the past several years. He's plugging holes in free agency so that when he enters the draft he isn't looking to fill holes, he's truly looking for the BPA. He will then go to camp to see who wins out and if a rookie beats out a F/A veteran, the veteran will be cut. I could see guys like Woods, Alexander, Ruud and potentially even TBC cut if we draft some stud LBs.

My point is we would trade picks for future picks if we feel good about who we have and that there will be value next year. This year however, we have 4 prime picks in the meat of the draft where there is solid talent. There are several good reasons why we shouldn't trade out of this draft and instead use those late round picks to move up to target certain players if need be.

1. Tom Brady turns 32 this year. He has maybe 2-3 good years left so the future is now.
    2. There is elite talent available at our top 4 picks
    3. We have a ton of players scheduled to become F/A after the season. I expect after the season to be the biggest raid on Pats players ever. Now's the time to start developing some replacements for guys we think we can't resign (Seymour/Green) and guys who will likely retire (Faulk/Bruschi). Our entire offensive line become free agents except Light and Koppen and this is a solid draft for versatile linesmen where we could get 2-3 future starters.
    4. This team is upgradeable via the draft at several positions like SS, OLB, ILB, #3WR, FB, maybe CB and OL.

I'm hoping we come out of this draft with 5-6 now or future starters.

4.[/Quote]

Faucetman,

1. I'm willing to bet that Tom Brady has more than just 2-3 good years left. In fact, I'd say that it's more closer to at least 5 good seasons, because he's a pocket quaterback and doesn't rely on being this great athlete.

2. I don't think that this draft has any elite talent. This is widely considered by scouts to be a weak draft. Sure, there's some really good players available (especially were we will be selecting), but to call them elite is a big stretch.

3. We do have lots of players scheduled for free agency after next season, however we aren't in a good position this year to get an adequate replacement for Seymour, plus we have the ability to just franchise him if need be (although it would be expensive). More than likely, We may be looking at inexpensive free agent pickups as replacements, because I doubt very seriously that BB want's to trot out a team comprised of 40-50% first or second year players. BB tends to favor vets if anything.

4. Just becuase I feel that BB will deal at least one or more picks doesn't mean we can't get an OLB, S, or OL etc..., we have plenty of picks in the top 60 in addition to plenty of lower picks in the 3rd and 4th round to deal in case we decide to try and move up the board.

My point is that you can't just fill every need at once because it never works out that way. You cant make a guy fit ust because you need him to. I would be happy if we have 3-4 starters out of this draft, and hopeully have extra picks next year to keep filling even more holes. Honestly what we need more than anything are playmakers. The past few seasons we have really been de-void of big play capability due to a purge in talent, coaching, and injuries. Faucet to worry, 32 years old is hardly ancient for a QB, and I've personally heard Tom in interviews this year stating that he want to play 'til 40. So even if a 39-40 is 80% of what he is now, that's still pretty damn good/SB caliber.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Draft 4

Sorry for the typos, my keyboard is acting weird.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from _008_. Show _008_'s posts

Draft 4

Although we have an obvious void to fill at OLB, BB has proven time after time that he is unpredictable. I really think he will take the best player available at #23, regardless of the position. Taking OLB is too easy! Which leads me to think it'll either be the second running back off the board or the first tight end. Chris Wells(not sure he'll be there at 23) or Brandon Pettigrew. Don't see him taking a WR here, don't see anyone jump out at that spot.

Then I totally see him trading #34 for next year's picks. Probably next year's 2nd and 4th/5th round. He'll then take a safety or LB at #47. #58 or #89 will be a OL/DL, wide receiver in the later rounds.

Personally I would love to see him take a OLB or ILB at #23 but I can see him looking for a raw talent in the later rounds.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Because I'm borderline O/C about the draft, I've been going over new scenarios in my head the past couple days, and I think I've hammered out a respectible, reasonable draft. It's not as flashy or star-studded as I'd like, but it's solid, realistic, and gives us great depth for the future.

According to recent reports, we ought to receive comp picks in the third, fifth, and sixth, giving us a staggering total of eleven picks in the upcoming draft. I've tried to target players who could have good long-term success in our program

Round One - William Beatty.
    Matt Light's replacement, Beatty is instantly the top backup tackle on the line while he spends a year gaining weight/strength and refining his technique. I like that speed won't beat him off the edge.

Round Two (a) - Connor Barwin.
    Tough. Fast. Versatile. Iintelligtent. There's nothing I don't like about Barwin.

Round Two (b) - Patrick Chung. Seems to be slipping a bit in comparison with the other safety prospects, but I don't see one I like better. I'd prefer to get a corner here so as to invest in the future, but the ones I like (Davis, S. Smith, Butler) will probably be gone by now, so this pick has good value.

Round Two (c) - Jarron Gilbert. We need to develop better linemen behind Seymour and Warren, as our backups don't exactly inspire confidence. Gilbert is massively talented and freakishly athletic for a man his size. He's in great shape, and could probably add 10 - 15 pounds over the next couple years without sacrificing agility and quicknesss.

Round Three - James Casey. Possibly the most intriuging and versatile offensive player in the draft, Casey has exceptional hands, toughness, and mature athleticism. He's played TE, FB, RB, QB, WR, and even a bit of defense. Oh, and he has a 95 mph fastball. Cool guy.

Round Three (comp) - Fenuki Tupou. Huge, quick, powerful run-blocker, Tupou instantly upgrades the right tackle spot for the next decade. He's surprisingly nimble for a big right tacle, and I just really like his game for some reason.

Round Four - Jasper Brinkley. Big thumper in the middle. He's on the rebound from a knee injury, and appears to be regaining his athleticism, but his injury may help depress his stock. This is the biggest gamble of my mock, I think; he could end up going a lot earlier than this.

Round Five (com) - Everette Pedescleaux. He's bigger, faster, and more athletic than Ty Warren, and from the looks of this video has great instincts and fluidity for a man his size. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GH9lJT3lK8

Round Six - Andy Kemp. Seems to be the consensus guard on this board. I've seen many sites project him as undrafted, but I'd dance in the street if we pick him up in the sixth.

Round Six (comp) - Devin Moore. Kevin Faulk replacement in a couple years. He's an excellent returner as well as third-down back.

Round Seven - Jamar Love. I'm taking him based purely on three arbitrary critieria: 1) his exceptional size/speed workout numbers, 2) the inflated value of CB contracts and thus the increased value of drafting CBs, and 3) so our last two picks could be Moore Love, which is an absolutely terrible pun but makes me laugh anyway.

This gives us two DL, three OL, two LBs (outside, inside), two DBs (safety, corner), a TE/FB/WR, and a RB. This seems to be the best mix of linemen and skill players, and I think would be an incredibly strong though not exactly flashy draft. I know this is similiar to a few of the drafts I've already seen on here, but I think I focus on a different philosophy/order in the draft.

April 25th can't get here fast enough!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Between the time I leave the house and head to school, I've already debated, rejected, changed, and finally returned to my draft. How pathetic is that? *grin*

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft 4

One of Kiper's mocks has RM at #23. I gotta be honest, I still can't see him there and I like it when the Pats draft players that are rising (Mayo, Wilfork,Seymour) more than guys that are falling. With possible exception being Chad Jackson. Still with RM and Mayo at ILB the Pats would be set for the next 5 years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 4

Count me among the minority that doesn't want Maualuga. He scares the hell out of me as another "hype" player who's flashy plays mask glaring weaknesses that will show up in the NFL.

Guyton is much, much faster than Maualuga. His potential in the passing game is better because of that speed, even if he'll never be the hitter Maualuga is.

A dominant edge rusher is with out question the #1 need on this entire team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 4

Letting Seymour go would just be stupid. You can resign Wilfork, all the cornerbacks, and anyone else, and the defense would still be worse.

Seymour needs to be back unless they can steal an absolute stud somewhere in the draft. This 3-4 defense is dependent on dominant defensive line play.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 4

ok so im not reading through 63 other posts lol so whats the hot topic right now so i can jump in lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Draft 4

Zbel,

Who's saying that Maualaga is just a 2 down back? And, athough I like Guyton, everything written about RM indicate he's got better instincts, is more fluid and has better range than Guyton.

But how much will any of them play on 3rd downs/passing downs? NE pobably played a majority of those downs in Nickel packages. That trend is only growing with the prominance of the 3WR sets we're seeing. Mayo stays in but the other ILB is removed.

So even if RM is good in coverage, he's mostly going to be used as a 2 down LB anyways.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 4

m

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Draft 4

Unless he is better then Mayo in coverage....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Draft 4

All this talk of Maualuga not being a good prospect due to a 4.8 40 reminds me of when Terrell Suggs was coming out. The year that he was drafted, he was considered a top 3 prospect but he too ran a 4.8 40 and all of a sudden scouts started making comments like he will not be able to get to the QB at the next level because he's too slow etc... What happend....he slid all the way down to about the 12th pick to the Ravens. Needless to say the scouts and the talking heads on ESPN were wrong. So, I hope history repeats itself again, and Maualuga slips to #23.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunchofpixels. Show bunchofpixels's posts

Draft 4

I think we need another blue chip talent on the LB corps. We need another safety. Besides that just draft for depth.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 4

I was interested to see that they both have Matthews to New England. Not saying I don't like Matthews, but does he project as an edge rusher in our defense? I honestly can't figure out if he'd project inside or outside in our defense, and that makes me afraid to draft him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

Draft 4

not that i have added to the discussion but i have enjoyed all the reading for 35+ pages over the last month but does this site suck since they changed the format last year, since the change we have lost the game by game thread for all teh boston teams, i love to read the post but this site sucks monkey balls right now and for the last couple of months, i will start reading the new draft thread

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Draft 4

Hey Guys--Yes, thanks for all the great commentary. I've been following this site for two years now and when the draft arrives I feel well schooled. I don't make many comments because I don't have the knowledge some of you guys have. BUT I have to make a comment about RM. Someone made the point that our biggest need is an edge rusher and that's well taken. But watching the last two years, my eyes tell me something else: we don't tackle very well at times and we don't have enough of those very violent hits Z was talking about. I'm talking about Rodney in his prime--the ball goes one way, the helmet flies in the air, and the opposing player gets crushed. Even when Rodney is in there with diminished skills, his hitting incites others. For that reason I like the idea of RM and Chung. I don't see why people are souring on him--putting his injury aside, watching him do your eyes tell you he won't be an agressive head banger? I just keep thinking about what he looks like when you watch him and what people thought about Teddy B. when he first came out--no one thought Teddy would become the player he did. Get RM even if you have to move up a ltttle to get him. Go for the edge rusher at 34. Yeah!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft 4

Here's my new game plan if I'm running our draft:

If we can use our 23rd to take either Maualuga or Harvin then that's who we grab...if they're both there we take Maualuga....let's not overthink it...the guy can flat out play football, watch the tape.

If neither of those guys are there...we flip it for a next year's 1st and 3rd or for Chad Johnson and a next year's 3rd/4th or somebody else that would be really awesome.

At 34...we take Barwin, Sintim or English in that order and if none of those guys are there then I should be fired....unless Michael Johnson is there in which case we take him.

At 47...Patrick Chung...if he's not available I'd go OL or WR depending on who's there.

At 58...If Chung wasn't available...Rashad Johnson.

I don't think we should pick an RB with our top 4 picks...but if we can get Devin Moore in the later rounds then great. But if we take Harvin that kind of satisfies both WR and RB to a degree.

Now let's hear how brilliant everyone thinks I am.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Draft 4

Ush--I think it's great. I like like your choices. I don't think I like trading picks for people like Johnson though--we need to get younger and quicker. I'm in California--have all those east coast guys gone to bed when there are important decisions to be made?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Have you guys seen this clip of Barwin catching a TD?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4ZP4ruwjQ

Brady could have a field day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

I've been watching a few of the Cincinnati game highlights.

Watch him put a QB out of the game with a perfect slam to the ground at 5:00 into the clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LdxMxCAkqQ&feature=related

There's another clip of him blocking a punt, but I didn't make note of which game highlight it was from.

If Michael Johnson played with his intensity we'd be taking him at 23 no questions asked, if he was available.

Barwin also knocks down tons of passes. I think he'll be one of the best 3-4 LBs dropping back into coverage, and I think he'll be an absolute monster on special teams.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 4

By Wes Bunting
    Posted March 12, 2009
    Email to a Friend Print This
    type="text/javascript">
    ShareThis

Behind The Measurements: Height vs. Arm Length
    FROM WES BUNTING:

Every year at the NFL Combine, draft prospects strip down to their underwear and parade in front of scouts and executives in an event known as the weigh-in. This is the first time official heights and weights are taken on each player. However, two other vital pieces of information are also recorded that have just as much importance in determining how “big” a potential NFL prospect will play. Those numbers are reach (the length of a prospect’s arm) and hand size (the length from the pinkie finger to the thumb).

Football is a contact sport in which collisions occur on virtually every play. Most NFL players are asked to win battles at the point of attack, and the players with the biggest frames and longest reaches have a clear advantage when engaging opposing players.

The reach or arm length of an NFL prospect is a key attribute to any position, especially those on the line of scrimmage. However, no position is more crucial when it comes to reach than offensive tackle. To put into perspective how offensive linemen are either helped or hindered by reach, I want to look at two former prospects with similar height/weight numbers whose paths in the NFL have been markedly different.

OT Adam Terry (Baltimore Ravens) and OT Marcus McNeill (San Diego Chargers) are former second-round picks (Terry in 2005, McNeill in 2006) who weighed in during their Combine appearances at 6-8 and around 330 pounds. However, the key difference during each player’s weigh-in was the discrepancy in reach. McNeill measured 35½ inches; Terry measured 32¼ inches. So we have two men who are roughly the same size, but McNeill has the length to match and maximize his 6-8 frame. Terry’s length forces him to play like a tackle closer to 6-3.

There are other variables that go into an equation like this, but the fact is, McNeill has been the Chargers’ starting left tackle each of the past three years, while Terry has bounced back and fourth between starter and back-up the past four years and looks to be limited to the right tackle position. Again, there are other variables to be considered, but you have to figure the 3-plus-inch reach advantage McNeill has over Terry must be a significant factor why one player has been successful and the other has not.

To put this into perspective, I broke down this year’s top left tackle prospects in order to give you a better idea what linemen have NFL-worthy arm length and what prospects will struggle playing to their listed size. But first, I constructed a range of arm lengths for the OT position in order to put each measurement into context.

“Great” Arm Length (35-plus inches)
    D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Jets: 35½ inches (2006)
    Ryan Clady, Broncos: 36 inches (2008)

“Good” Arm Length (34-34 7/8 inches)
    Jammal Brown, Saints: 34¼ inches (2005)
    Jeff Otah, Panthers: 34 5/8 inches (2008)

“Average” Arm Length (33-33 7/8 inches)
    Michael Roos, Titans: 33 5/8 inches (2005)
    Levi Brown, Cardinals: 33 1/8 inches (2007)

“Below Average” Arm Length (32-32 7/8 inches)
    Robert Gallery, Raiders: 32¼ inches (2004)
    Chris Williams Bears: 32¾ inches (2008)

With an eye toward the 2009 draft class, we can now rank the nation’s top offensive tackles according to their arm length/reach and break down what each measurement means.

Andre Smith, Alabama (6-4, 332), arm length: 35 5/8 inches
    Although Smith is a bit short for the position by NFL standards, his length more than makes up for his height. Smith actually plays more like a tackle who is 6-8. He possesses great feet for his size, but he lacks the kind of explosion needed on his kick step to consistently reach the corner vs. speed rushers. However, it’s his length that will allow him to hold his own in pass protection and engage long-armed defensive ends on the outside and drive them off the ball.

William Beatty, Connecticut (6-6, 307), arm length: 34¾ inches
    Beatty does a great job getting out of his stance quickly and extending his long arms in pass protection. He showcases impressive hand placement on the outside and is consistently able to engage quickly and keep defensive ends off his body. Beatty possesses the coordination, foot speed and length to man the left tackle spot in the NFL.

Eugene Monroe, Virginia (6-5, 309), arm length: 34 inches
    Monroe displays good patience in pass protection and has the length to consistently keep linemen off his body. He does a great job extending his arms and plays even longer than his wingspan indicates. There’s no question in my mind that Monroe has the length and overall athleticism to become one of the top tackles in the NFL the next couple of years.

Jason Smith, Baylor (6-5, 309), arm length: 33¾ inches
    Smith relies on his pure athletic ability and body coordination in pass protection, but he also has enough length to keep defenders off his frame. He will play a bit short-armed at times, but that’s more a result of his lacking technique and continued development as a left tackle. He’ll learn to use every bit of his 33¾-inch reach at the next level once he gets some NFL coaching.

Michael Oher, Mississippi (6-5, 309), arm length: 33½ inches
    Oher is a big, athletically gifted tackle who has all physical tools to make it in the NFL. He’s raw from a technique standpoint, and longer arms could help him make up for his consistent false steps and missed assignments. However, 33½ is right around the average length for an NFL starter and is more than enough for Oher to get by.

Eben Britton, Arizona (6-6, 309), arm length: 32½ inches
    Britton’s lack of length is a concern for me, especially if teams are looking at him as a left tackle prospect. Britton is a polished pass protector who showcases good technique and does a great job extending his arms and getting every bit out of his 32½- inch reach. However, that length is a concern for a left tackle and could force Britton into a right tackle role on some NFL teams.

Overall, the measurement of a prospect’s arm length is just another tool to help scouts determine the caliber of player they’re evaluating. Arm length helps determine the “true” size of an NFL player and allows scouts to establish how big an offensive lineman can play.

As I said before, there are always exceptions to the rule, and simply measuring the arm length of an offensive tackle will not guarantee success. But when scouting offensive tackles, it’s paramount to consider length/reach in direct correlation to a player’s height and weight.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/03/behind-the-measurements-height-vs-arm-length/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/03/12/mock1/
    index.html

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f330d5&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Patriots

Larry English

DE/LB

Northern Illinois

Larry English

English is a guy who has fallen out of the first round on some boards, but his 31 college sacks and his intensity is just what the Patriots need. They could easily take Brian Cushing here if available.

Combine highlights: Larry English

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Draft 4

I just saw on rotoworld that Maybin had admitted to playing last season at only 230lbs. At the combine he weighed in at 249lbs but ran slow. I think there is no way in hell that he goes in round one because he's showing that right now his body can't handle the extra 20lbs that he had to put on in order to play OLB.

That's the thing with this draft that really scares me, it seems that most of the prospects are showing up worst than advertised. I personally think there's a high bust rate in this draft because you have too many prospects that seem relatively close in terms of talent, so much so that it's a virtual pick'em type of situation. Unfortunately, this shows me that a player taken in round one this year may be no better than another guy taken in the second round; or that a guy taken in the second round might not necessarily be any more better than a third round guy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft 4

Outside of a few guys who could fall it seems like the talent at the top of the second and through the second is better situated to fill NE's holes...That's why I said.....If we can use our 23rd to take either Maualuga or Harvin (or V.Davis potentially) then that's who we grab...if they're both there we take Maualuga....let's not overthink it...the guy can flat out play football, watch the tape.

If neither of those guys are there...we flip it for a next year's 1st and 3rd or for Chad Johnson and a next year's 3rd/4th or somebody else that would be really awesome.

At 34...we take Barwin, Sintim or English in that order and if none of those guys are there then I should be fired....unless Michael Johnson is there in which case we take him.

At 47...Patrick Chung...if he's not available I'd go OL or WR depending on who's there.

At 58...If Chung wasn't available...Rashad Johnson.

I don't think we should pick an RB with our top 4 picks...but if we can get Devin Moore in the later rounds then great. But if we take Harvin that kind of satisfies both WR and RB to a degree.

Now let's hear how brilliant everyone thinks I am...LOL.

Sections
Shortcuts