Draft 4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I think he could play Mike or strong or weak OLB. Although I view him as a strong side defender (MIKE, SOLB) because he isn't the free-agent sideline to sideline guy like Mayo or Thomas.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I thnk he meant for it to be successful they have to project to start. Jsut judging on how he brings his players along slowly I would guess that starting day one isn't usually necessary. Although it is GREAT when it happens.

And IIRC Seymour, the Fork and Mayo are the only three defensive first rounders to start day one. They all had no viable vet in front of them, much like an OLB drafted this season.

And Mankins was a day one starter too, but on offense. But the rest of their first rounders sat out for a bit, Meriweather, Maroney, Warren.

The day one start has as much to do with available talent. LOL. Mayo had an easy road because the ILB crew was so depleted.

I think that any munber of people can be upgrades. Although I would note that converting from 4-3 OLb to 3-4 OLB is the same kind of crapshoot you see with DE to OLB. The three positions are so different.

I would add Clint Sintim to that list (who actually played 3-4 OLB at V'ginia), and a few others like Michael Johnson and Larry English. All of these guys have the pure pass rush potential to beat out any of the players who were behind Vrabel on the depth chart.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Z, with BB's comments about the changing role of strong safeties in the game today, due to faster TE's and more spread out offense, do you think his view on 3-4 linebackers has been altered at all?

Do you think he might now place a greater emphasis on coverage ability than he might have before? I don't think English would be great in coverage at all, but I wonder to what extent that matters to BB.

Michael Johnson and Barwin both seem like they would excel in coverage, and both have the developed hands from playing TE and basketball. I'm less than confident in English or Maybin to posess good hands.

One interesting note is that Maybin actually has longer arms than M Johnson. I haven't looked up Barwins.

Also, I wonder if having a good coverage OLB like Barwin would free up the Pats to draft a bigger strong safety like William Moore. I don't know enough about the intricacies of the game to answer that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]Z, with BB's comments about the changing role of strong safeties in the game today, due to faster TE's and more spread out offense, do you think his view on 3-4 linebackers has been altered at all?

[/Quote]

Umm, yeah. Although coverage isn't necessarily directly linked to it, he did draft the two fastest ILB's in last year's draft. Like I was writing in the Ayers thread, there seems to be a mandate for more speed on this defense.

The defense NE won with in 2003 (for instance) is no longer a defense that it tailored to the current rules, and the proliferation of spread style offenses.

In fact, I think the "Wildcat" is already one way team figuring how to nullify some the speedy sets that are being fielded now, and the abundance of nickel packages. Running from a one or two back set with the QB on the line can get you some matchups there.

I don't know how good Barwin is because I didn't watch any Cincy, but from the clips I see, he looks better in zone, and as a TE, he has to be able to run some routes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft 4

Patriots tight ends coach Shane Waldron worked out Cincinnati DE/TE Connor Barwin earlier in the week.

New England would be a nice fit as Barwin is most often compared to long time Patriot Mike Vrabel for his versatility and pass rush skills. With three second-round picks, the Pats are in prime position to pull the trigger on Barwin.

Source: Boston Herald

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/03/nfp-pro-day-report-3/

I think NE should take Barwin and Sintim in this draft if one of them can play ILB. The LB class might not be as strong as it is this year and the fact that NE will/should be going on a SuperBowl run(knock-on-wood) this year they'll be picking at the bottom of the draft and will have no shot a player like Brandon Spikes, so why not go for the gusto and take the two best LBs that NE can land in this years draft?

NE Mock Draft

#23- Barwin, ConnorOLB/ILB(?) or Smith, SeanCB/S
    NE could BPA here, but if they don't these are the two guys I want to see in a NE Pats uniform.
    If they do go BPA(Maualuga, Rey, Davis, Vontae or Harvin, Percy) and they think their player they want will be gone before #34, they could trade up with either the Falcons or Eagles IMHO.

Reason- Barwin IMHO will not make it to #34 with teams like ATL, Miami, Bal, NYG, and Pitt all potentially needing a LB and this kid looks to be the most athletic LB in this years draft. I also like Smith and his size and speed really intrigue me and wonder what BB could do with a kid like this.
    {Surprise Pick on Offense}Beatty, William or Harvin, Percy

#34- Sintim, ClintILB/OLB or Unger, MaxOL

Reason- Both players would be very versatile in NE and both these players at depth and youth to their respective positions. Hopefully NE can grab their Safety at #47?
    {Surprise Pick}Chung, PatrickSS or Gilbert, JarronDL

#47- Chung, Patrick/Johnson, Rashad/Delmas, Louis

Reason- We all know NE needs a playmaker at the Safety position and these players are sure to do that. Lets hope the Pats find their guy!
    {Surprise Pick}Meredith, JamonOL

#58- Barden, RamsesWR or Jennings, RashadRB

Reason- I just want to change up the average looking mock on this thread and IMHO one these guys will come off the board in the late 2nd or early 3rd. Both guys sort of unknown to most, but they could have great NFL careers on the right team and being around the right players(Brady, Moss, Faulk, Taylor).
    {Surprise Pick}Byrd, JairusCB

#89- Baker, ChrisDL or Wood, EricOL or Tupou, Fenuki

Reason- You win in the trenches and these two players have the potential to help this franchise. Whether or not they'll be there is another question.
    {Surprise Pick}Ingram, CorneliusTE

3rd Rnd Comp- Sidbury Jr., LawrenceOLB or Antonio ApplebyILB

http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88799&SPID=10606&DB_OEM_ID
    =17800&ATCLID=1133490&Q_SEASON=2008

4th Rnd- Everette Pedescleaux, Defensive End, Northern Iowa or Moore, KyleDL

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/nfp-sleeper-prospects/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GH9lJT3lK8

5th Rnd- Traded

6th Rnd- Dillard, JarettWR

7th Rnd- McGee, StephenQB-Can the magic continue?

aud Powers

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

One option if no one is there, is to trade down. But with MIA right on Ne's heels, I wonder if that would be smart.

Facucet and Kyle,

That is what I am saying about Sintim. This is the effect of a deap draft at DE/OLb. His value is suppressed. There simply aren't enough teams that will draft all these guys.

However, I would also caution to take some mocks and rankings with a grain of salt. A lot of players the scouts like aren't so popular with the GM's of the leaugue. For instance, Maybin or Mathews could be ranked beneath him on these Gm's boards.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 4

Just read a report on the Herald website that Patriots Tight Ends coach Shane Waldron was in Cincinnati working out Connor Barwin. I remember hearing that Waldron had talked to Barwin at the combine as well.

I find it interesting that the only two times I've heard him linked to the Pats, it has been through the tight ends coach. Does this mean anything? I hope they're not considering him as an offensive prospect only.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

There could have been other team scouts there with Wauldron. It could be a smokescreen.

I highly, highly doubt they are working him out as a TE, at least not solely.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

The fastest riser in this draft will be Sean Smith. I honestly think he will leap frog Davis come draft day.

He just posted his second smooth as peanut butter CB workout, and at 6'3" that is something. He also did exacly what I thought he needed to do, and improved on all of his 40 yard split times.

He has the magic sub-4.5 time. Couple that with a super good performance in the bowl game, and I see him becoming a *very* hot commodity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Does anybody know of a possible Faulk replacement in the late 3rd early 4th?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I like Devin Moore, but you might only need a fifth to get him.

He is a small fast runner from Wyoming. Like Faulk he set a bunch of school records for yards and all purpose yards.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I might add, I think the time is ripe to grab a Faulk replacemnet. I do not doubt he hasa couple good seasons left, but it took years to make him into what he is now.

He didn't show up being a nasty chip blocker, and had bad fumblitis as a young ern.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Draft 4

i'm not sure there is a roster spot for an early RB pick. A later one could be a player that the Pats release and place on the practice squad or perhaps even beat out BJGE.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Draft 4

I don't know how well JL projects right now to the inside spot next to Mayo. If they draft, he's likely a good selection. If not then it's hard to tell. right now he isn't my preference.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Draft 4

Moore would be one of a bunch of interesting picks at safety. 58 is a great place to take a safety. at least one of the best ones should still be around then.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I read that. The time i saw was 4.64 to 4.74, which means his slowest 40 was better than his average 40 from the combine.

So he put himself back in the conversation. I couldn't find any info on the LBer drills. Which bears watching.

But he is a football player which I like. He is really smart and really discipined, and even while there are doubts, he does have the ideal size to play in any ILB spot at 244 6'3". And he is probably faster in the open field than Tedy Bruschi ever was.

And some players just play fast, while others are good athletes who can learn 40yrd dash technique more easily. You can teach 40 yrd technique, but you can't teach game speed. And if you watched OSU JL has plenty of that.

Especially if NE can make moves to shore things up outside he is in the mix of course.

And I don't buy the Ohio LB curse like a ot of others do. JL is as solid a football player as there is coming out. I don't know for sure if that translates into NFL success, but he played all over the field, coverage, run stuffing, blitzing, and did it all well. Just such a consistent and productive kid, who rarely makes mistakes and finds himself out of position.

There have been some busts like Katz and Bobby Carpenter, but A.J. Hawk (despite what some say) was not. Maybe at 5 you hope for more, but how much more can you hope for from a 4-3 WOLB????

He was just the 2006 version of Aaron Curry. Really forced higher than he should be because of a weak top end. If he had been picked on the 10-15 range where he should have gone then there wouldn't be a peep about the OSU "curse" when they speak about Hawk.

I can't help but feel like three or four seasons from now, everyone is going to call Curry a "bust" because he is only getting 115 tackles a season or something. Unless he is moved outside, which might be a bad idea anyway, he is just going to be a great ILB, and everyone is going to wonder why they would use a top five on him.

I don't know what NE is looking for, but if they ar looking at the Animal then #23 is a decent place to secure him. Although I still feel his value has been hurt tremendously by missing the senior bowl - and he could be there in the second at this point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I would add that him amking it to the NFL would complete the "Hawk" and "Animal" Road Warrior's thing.

For anyone who didn't watch a lot of OSU, check out his highlight reel.

I don't know if he is the guy, but there is no other LBer coming out who can boast such a lengthy and versatile highlight reel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9-k7Czh_ww&feature=related

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I want no part of Beanie Wells. Count me out of Big-10 running backs please. most of them flop hard in the NFL.

Anyhow, re: Moore. Moore isn't one of my guys, but coming from the Big-12 means there is a lot of tape of him playing deep center field.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 4

I think Moore would be a fantastic pick at #58 if NE chooses to wait until then to take a safety. I really believe his fall is over exaggerated and his combine and pro day numbers indicate he still has the ability to be an impact player.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Draft 4

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/13/oregons-chung-makes-statement-at-pro-day/

Oregon’s Chung makes statement at pro day By NFL.com Staff
    Posted: Pro Days | NFL.com Staff |

Though he stood on most of his drill numbers from the combine, safety Patrick Chung was a standout in the position drills at the Oregon Pro Day.
    The 5-foot-11 3/8, 209-pound prospect did do the short shuttle in 4.24 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.11 seconds, but he really made his mark flashing his safety skills.
    Seahawks defensive coordinator Casey Bradley ran the defensive drills and got to see Chung’s workout first hand. Seahawks offensive line coach Mike Solari operated the offensive drills. In all, 23 teams were in attendance, including six coaches, to watch the players work out on the game field.
    Here were the other notable prospects:
    C Max Unger (6-4 3/8, 306) kept everything from the combine and did positional drills.
    OT Fenuki Tupou (6-5 1/4, 313) ran a 5.20 and 5.25 in the 40, had a 26-inch vertical, an 8-foot, 3-inch broad jump, a 4.85 short shuttle and kept his three-cone drill and bench press numbers from the combine.
    DE/LB Nick Reed (6-1 3/8, 245) ran a 4.72 with the wind and a 4.84 against the wind in the 40, had a 31 1/2-inch vertical, a 9-foot broad jump, a 4.28 short shuttle, a 6.96 three-cone drill and 24 bench press reps.
    RB Jeremiah Johnson (5-9, 213) ran a 4.57 and 4.61 in the 40, did a 4.26 short shuttle and had a 6.94 three-cone drill. He kept the rest of his numbers from the combine and did not run positional drills.
    WR Jason Williams (6-4 3/8, 231) ran a 4.49 and 4.57 in the 40, had a 36 1/2-inch vertical, a 9-foot, 8-inch broad jump, a 4.34 short shuttle and a 6.94 three-cone drill.
    DT Ra’Shon Harris (6-3 3/4, 297) ran a 4.88 and 5.04 in the 40, had a 27-inch vertical, a 4.66 short shuttle and kept the rest of his combine numbers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

If Wells or Moreno were at 34, it would certainly be something to think about. Moreno could replace Maroney and Faulk, and Wells could replace our two older big guys, Taylor and Morris.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

I agree, Moore ran a good 40 at his pro day and could be perfect for the Pats at 58, the Animal seems like more of a fit in a 4-3 so I think we should look elsewhere unless it is at #47

#23 Connor Barwin
    #34 William Beatty
    #47 James Laurinatis
    #58 William Moore
    #89 Coye Francis
    3C Rames Barden

Then select...

4 Captain Munnerlyn
    5C Andy Kemp
    6 Devin Moore
    6C Best Available QB
    7 Best Available Player

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Beleive me. I have thought a powerful fast runner (like Stewart last season) would be perfect in NE. And his digits are impressive.

What isn't impressive are the tank like holeshe ran through and the slow defensive backfields he ran past. But that is the least of it, because few runners face elite defenses in the NCAA.

I don't like that he has the red flags of being soft and non-competitive. I even found Buckeyes fans who called him an athletic teddy bear, because he dogs and takes himself out of games for minor injuries.

That doesn't sound like a fit. But a 235 pound guy with his ability is exactly what NE *needs* to get the offense through the difficult winter months, IMO, when the passing game cupboard gets a little bare.

But I put him in the risk category myself, big risk.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 4

NE signed Mike Wright to a 4 year deal earlier today and just annouced the signing of WR Joey Galloway on a one year deal. It's beginning to look like there won't be many roster spots available for all of our new draft choices LOL. Maybe this means BB is looking to deal one or more of those seconds to try to move up for someone?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Yeah, that is the second reference linking NE to Scott.

All in all, I think low is the place to grab a RB. He had a 4.4 40time according to draft scouts.

Just grab one every single year in the low rounds, get em for peanuts and hope one develops into a HR hitter.

Drafting RB's high is so dangerous. So many don't work out. In fact it is basically a 50/50 chance you get a starter. Even in the first.

So I would almost rather just keep getting junkpile guys hoping for the next Michael Turner or Curtis Martin.

Although this RB class is pretty weak, and there really isn't much after Wells and Moreno and Brown.