Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Draft 4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Draft 4

I could see it playing out as follows:

3 QB: Tom Brady, Matt Gutierrez, Kevin O’Connell
    5 RB: Laurence Maroney, Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk, BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    5 WR: Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Greg Lewis, Joey Galloway, Sam Aiken
    3 TE: Ben Watson, Chris Baker, David Thomas
    4 OT: Matt Light, Nick Kaczur, Ryan O’Callaghan, Mark Levoir
    5 G/C: Dan Koppen, Stephen Neal, Logan Mankins, Billy Yates, Ross Hochstein
    6 DL: Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Mike Wright, Jarvis Green, Le Kevin Smith
    4 OLB: Adalius Thomas, Pierre Woods, Shawn Crable, Tully Banta-Cain
    4 ILB: Tedy Bruschi, Jerod Mayo, Gary Guyton, Eric Alexander
    7 DB: Ellis Hobbs, Brandon Meriweather, Shawn Springs, James Sanders, Leigh Bodden, Jonathan Wilhite, Terrence Wheatley
    3 ST: Nathan Hodel, Stephen Gostkowski, Chris Hanson

That leaves 49 players, so there's room on the roster for 4 rookies. Who knows who will end up on the PUP list or even IR, so, in all likelyhood, there will be another rookie or two who make the final 53 and perhaps a fringe player or two.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Draft 4

After watching lots of youtube on all the CB's:

Jenkins, V Davis. These 2 have the larger frame, but don't have the athletic ability and smooth change of direction that you need to be a very good corner. Both are better suited for safety. Not worthwhile @ #23.

A Smith, D Butler: I like Butler the best. Slightly taller than A Smith and Wheatly/Whilhiute. Excellent athelete and good tackler. I would take Butler @ #34, no questions asked. I'm not sure that I would take A Smith, even though he might have the best instincts for the ball. How is A Smith any different than Wheatly? If he's there @ #58, then maybe.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft 4

White intrigues me to no end but would the Pats use him in the dual capacity that we see him in? Most of us would want to have Brady in no matter what the circumstance. I don't see him in a Pats taking him. 2C is the place to get him too. It's too bad really.

Nice job Kyle. It does give on a clue as to where this thing might take us. The Pats try to fix the roster before the draft so they don't have to depend on the draft to fill holes. That way they can draft the best player on their board without temptation to reach for a player that fills a roster spot. But one can see where improvement can be made by listing the roster.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Here's an article breaking down the Pats needs after all the free agency signings, by position. From CBS Sportsline:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11505515

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft 4

I think that Lb and Safety need the most attention.Lb well that speaks for it's self. Safety I just don't think Sanders is the answer but with the 3 year deal. They may like him more than I do.

I just don't see how more people don't see TE as a problem area. Dave Thomas is nothing more than a backup. If not for the call at Indy. We would not know he played last year. Watson is known more for drops than plays. I think we take one of Pettigrew,Cook,Coffman,or Casey. Maybe we take Barwin as the blocking TE/OLB. We also used Hochstein/Vrable as blockers last year in the BIG packages. People here say that Baker is more of a blocker but that's not what reports on him say.

I think Lewis will be used different than people think. Lewis works well the over the middle. If Lewis or Baker work out to be sure handed mid level threats. That will open up coverages,help the run and the deep ball while saving hits on Faulk and Welker.

We all can see that Galloway at 37 and the one year deal is not the long term solution for a deep threat opposite Moss. So someone to bring along is a good choice this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

this board never updates, never had this problem with the old one

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

New Mock

#23 Clay Matthews
    #34 Patrick Chung
    #47 Brian Robiskie
    #58 Clint Stinm
    #89 Fenuki Tupoui
    3C Coye Francis

4 Brenard Scott
    5C Andy Kemp
    6 TRADE
    6C Devin Moore
    7 BA

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Cushing weighs 243, at 6'3". He seems pretty maxed out, naturally or otherwise. Barwin weighs 256 at 6'4", and moves even more smoothly. Definitely the better natural athlete.

Cushing seems like a candidate for a Ted Johnson-esque, steroid induced bicep tear.

Barwin would also be a better fit inside next to Mayo, at least from a physical standpoint. He could also better line up as an end in a 4-3.

Depending on who else steps up among the young Patriot linebackers, Barwin seems to have the size and natural ability to move around as needed.

If Cushing weighed 255 it might be different story, though I know he has much more experience and is more proven than Barwin.

Mathews doesn't seem to have much physical upside either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

update board

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 4

Barwin is versatile but definitely not a better fit inside than outside. Physically he is the prototypical 3-4 outside linebacker. Matthews and Cushing, on the other hand, look like better fits inside. Matthews is very athletic but he's not a natural 240, he had to body build his way to that weight, and looking at him, he looks like a biceps tear waiting to happen.

I may be optimistic but I really see Barwin as a potential 12-15 sacks per year OLB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

I don't project Barwin inside, and don't think Crable or Woods will outplay him outside. I guess my point is that I'd rather have a 255 pound inside linebacker than another 240 pound ILB next to Mayo.

I agree Barwin is a perfect fit outside. I'm not sure how many 240 pound linebackers we want on the field at once.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Faucet, perfect mock! If somebody like Vontae Davis were there at 23, that could throw things off, but maybe not. Maybe Barwin will be there at 34, and I guess the Dolphins at 25 are the biggest threat to take him.

Vontae Davis and Michael Johnson or Connor Barwin and Al Smith. Tough choice.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 4

So what do you guys think of this from:

The trade that sent Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel to the Kansas City Chiefs appears to be only the first phase of some major wheeling and dealing by the New England Patriots this offseason.

The second phase, NFL sources say, is likely to involve a trade that would send Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers to the Patriots in exchange for the second-round pick (34th overall) they received from the Chiefs on Feb. 28.

According to league sources, the Patriots and Panthers are hoping to complete the deal at some point between the March 22-25 NFL owners meetings and the start of the draft on April 25.

read whole article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f48fa8&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I think this would be a good deal if its for only #34.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 4

From the same article: Also, according to NFL sources, there is a third phase to the Patriots' offseason strategy. They would like to further beef up their linebacking corps by adding an inside linebacker in the draft. They are known to believe that USC's Rey Maualuga would be a great fit for their scheme, especially when paired with Jerod Mayo, their 2008 first-round pick who was the NFL's top defensive rookie. However, some early projections suggest it might be a long shot for Maualuga to be available for the Patriots with the 23rd overall pick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 4

Faucet -

I just really can't see any of the first 4 picks going WR in light of the bad taste of Jackson and Johnson. I think BB learned his lesson the hard way, and unless you're loking at a Calvin Johnson, it's just not worth spending a 1 or 2 on a WR.

BTW, NFL Radio just announced that NE and CAR are working on a trade - Peppers for the #34 pick with Peppers to play OLB. VERY INTERESTING!!!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]From the same article: Also, according to NFL sources, there is a third phase to the Patriots' offseason strategy. They would like to further beef up their linebacking corps by adding an inside linebacker in the draft. They are known to believe that USC's Rey Maualuga would be a great fit for their scheme, especially when paired with Jerod Mayo, their 2008 first-round pick who was the NFL's top defensive rookie. However, some early projections suggest it might be a long shot for Maualuga to be available for the Patriots with the 23rd overall pick.[/Quote]

As I suggested earlier in this thread, don't be surprised to see one of the second rounders dealt with #23 to move up in the first to pick someone BB has his eye on - perhaps Maualuga fits that bill. We don't have enough room on the roster for all of these FA signings as well as 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 4

So, regarding moving around the picks to target specific players, here is a fun table based on the NFL Value chart:

Pick #23 #34 #47 #58 #89
    #23 760 1320 1190 1080 905
    #34 1320 560 990 880 705
    #47 1190 990 430 750 575
    #58 1080 880 750 320 465
    #89 905 705 575 465 145

Pick Value

10 1300

12 1200

15 1050

16 1000

18 900

19 875

24 740

26 700

33 580

43 470

So this means the Pats can pretty much get anyone from pick 10 on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

Seems like we will be getting Peppers, BB will only execute this move if he can sign him to a long term deal, thus eliminating the need for a OLB early. I say we trade #23 and #58 and jump the Chargers to select Mauluga. A new mock...

#15 Rey Mauluga
    #47 Patrick Chung
    #89 Fenuki Tupoui
    3C Coye Francies

4 Brenard Scott
    5C Andy Kemp
    6 TRADE
    6C Johnny Knox
    7 TRADE

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

update stupid board

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

Tupoui is an OT

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Draft 4

titletown, that's a draft worthy of cold six-pack.... pun intended!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Draft 4

The more I watch Chung, the more I like him better than all the other safeties.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

I agree with you about Chung, pats-fan, but I'm beginning to think that if Robiskie is still there at 47, we grab him. He could develop into an excellent #2 down the road.

Of course, I'd prefer a hard-hitting safety to play the intimidator role in our defense, but assuming we trade up for RM, that might just be overkill.

You know, I'm okay with that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Crazy idea. What if we target Michael Johnson and let him learn from Peppers? We could use the platoon of Bruschi/Guton until Bruschi can't keep going, whereupon we bring back Seau for a SB run, and then next year address the ILB position by drafting Brandon Spikes.

Wow. That sounded a lot more plausible in my head. *grin*

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Yeah. When I watch Spikes play, I'm always impressed by his ability to direct the entire defense, get everyone properly lined up, and always, always put himself in position to make a play. Plus he's great in coverage. The knock on him is his top-end speed, but he's projected as a 4.65 guy, which is still a good deal faster than Maualuga or Laurinaitis. Plus he's 6'3 and very trim, which means that he could most likely add to his current 245 playing weight without affecting speed. Since he's only my age (21), he still has some growing and maturing to do physically. Given his instincts and intelligence, I could see him starring alongside Mayo for the next decade.

No matter which way you cut it, I'm pretty excited about the next couple years of Patriots football!

Sections
Shortcuts