Draft 4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Joey Galloway is a signing I saw coming.

He is the perfect low risk high reward veteran. Although the routes he runs are so similar to Moss. I can only think that he is a deep threat to keep in there to put extra pressure on teams that want to roll the coverage at Moss. NE didn't have a player like this the last few seasons.

What is interesting is that NE has done *nada* to address the gaping hole left where Vrabel played. I thought kicking the tires on Haggans would be a nice idea, because he has tons of experience at that very spot.

Every other position is fielded by a nice blend of veterans and youth, assuming that Crable plays where he is a bit moe natural behind Thomas.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Hopefully Maroney just steps up this year and is everything that Moreno will be his rookie year. That would help solve a lot of problems.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

I guess the Wright and Galloway signings all but proves we aren't taking a DL or WR till later in the draft, maybe 5th-6th round. I shall now update.

#23 Connor Barwin-DE/OLB
    #34 James Laurinaitis-MLB
    #47 Patrick Chung-SS
    #58 Traded for 2nd rounder next year, Plus a 5th rounder
    #89 Fenuki Tupoui-OT
    3C Coye Francies-CB

Rd 4 Bernard Scott-HB
    Rd 5 (Trade) Andy Kemp-OG
    Rd 5C Johnny Knox-WR
    Rd 6 Trade for Future Compensation
    Rd 6C Jon Cooper-C
    Rd Best Available

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

OK, just to re-try it.

#23 Connor Barwin/Clint Sintim -- I like both, but Barwin more. I wonder if he will be necessary here. I think Sintim being ranked out of the first is a byproduct of the crazy depth at this position. Starting with Orakpo and Brown or Maybin there should be two to three DE/OLB prospects taken in each ten slots all the way through #50. That is insane. All in all they both seem like "Patriot" type draftees to me.

#34 Sean Smith -- got his 40 yard time down to a very good 4.47, and was again butter smooth in the drills. He is a riser, and can project at FS and corner. Most importantly he insures NE against the pricey departures of Hobbs and or Bodden. I am still on record thinking he is a guy who could rise. I wasn't high on him, but after hearing about how much a corner he actually is and seeing the digits fall, I think he is a definite riser.

#47 Brian Robiskie -- Adding 8,000 Galloways and Lewis' in the world do not change the fact that eventually NE needs to think WR. Why not this season when we fans see arguably the best WR class in years? If Jared Cook is here things get interesting because he is almost a WR himself. Ne could feel free to cut Watson and Thomas at that point, LOL. I think Robiskie is the closest thing to a "safe" WR in the draft.

#58 Meredith, Jamon. (trade) LOL. Find an awful team that seems to think a #58 makes them better. Then when they stink, take their #38 or whatever next season LOL.

#89 Jamon Meredith or Troy Kropog -- Both players fit what NE does. Meredith might not be here, because he is so much batter an athlete. If NE doesn't trade #58 he is an option there to assure him coming here. If he is off the board, Ne selects William Moore or Rashad Johnson. I think Johnson is a better Patriot "fit" altough Moore is a better athlete.

3C Rashad Jennings. -- Two Rashads in a row??? OK, so he ran a 4.5 at his pro-day. Well, Maroney ran a 4.48, and is like twenty pounds lighter, and doesn't have this kid's soft hands. A dedicated north south runner, with the skills to play FB if necessary.

#120 -- Jasper Brinkley -- I think this is where he might go. Some see a chance that he fought his way higher, but being realistic, he was projected as non-drafted player just months ago. And hasn't done enough to get him to day one, at least not yet.

#151 -- Devin Moore -- get him to run some kicks back, and start combing his hair for when Faulk retires.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

Why two RB's we already have 4 on the roster, plus Green-Ellis

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Draft 4

Titletown, we had 5 or six on the roster last year, Faulk, Morris, Maroney, Jordan, Law Firm, and Evans (FB but still counts). We lost Jordan and gained taylor, so were even there, We lost Evans and if jennings gets drafted thats really an upgrade over evans if he will block and play special teams. Somebody like Moore can probably make the practice squad. I hope BJGE gets more time this year i think he could be good consistant preformer, just not flashy like A. Peterson, kinda like Morris is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

makes sense josh

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Becuase two are in their mid 30's, one is probably destined to be cut sooner or later, or put on the practice squad, and two aren't signed in 2010.

And all of the three every down runners are prone to injury.

And NE lost its fullback, and I would assume that Jennings could be an Evans- light type of player, who could do a little lead blocking, but really be a nice third down outlet reciever even when he isn't running. He really is smooth out of the backfield.

So in reality the only "addition" to the roster per se, is Devin Moore. Although with all the action surrounding Bernard Scott he could be the guy too. He is another late round player who could be a steal. I like Moore because as an athlete he is freakish. How many 190 lb players run a 4.41 and nail 27 reps on the bench?

I would add that going after Scott in the fourth might be unnecessarily aggresive. He isn't even projected to be drafted at this point as far as I can tell, so trading into the fifth could get NE another player in the fourth.

I would like Scott better than BJGE myself, as a late round kid.

Like I said, LOL, draft one of these guys every season and maybe you hit the jackpot eventually?

BJGE looked average, but maybe Scott is the next out of nowhere star runner?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Another player I would throw in the mix is Kory Sheets. He is a 3rd down back/kick returner.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Anyone know much about LB Josh Mauga? All I know is that he likes to take on guards and blow things up at the line of scrimmage. Only 6'2 245, but then again Mayo is slightly smaller than that. Think he's a good late-round pick up?

I'm thinking of starting a sleepers thread. Don't know where the old one disappeared to . . .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Draft 4

I'm not going to speculate on who the Patriots will draft because a) I don't know the college players well enough, b) I'm almost always wrong and c) Bill always makes at least one selection that surprises everyone, including the so-called experts.
    But I will speculate on the players' positions:
    #23: OLB
    #34: Traded
    #47: Safety
    #58: OL
    #89: WR
    Compensation 3rd round: Safety
    4th round: ILB
    5th round: Traded
    Compensation 5th round: DL
    6th round: OL
    7th round: FB

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Dude. The board never updates. Just throw any response there and delete it after.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

What is wierd is that that only works sometimes for me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

A lot of those players are special teams role players. And a lot of players will be cut this season.

Gus like Devree, Spann, etc,are probably not long for the roster.

But NE has a habit of stocking up well before the draft. I mean they cut like three corners, and at Vic Hobson last season. So it makes it difficult to project what they will draft based on cheap additions.

I would bet that Lewis,Taylor and Springs make it though, just based on what they gave up in picks or money to get them. And I hope they shed some of the bad players. Last year's team was not as deep (sounds nuts) as it could have been.

A lot of the guys coming off the bench on defense were not adequate. And some of the starters too. LOL.

I would just look at weakness and places a rook could break through. So from that list, where I sit, WR and OLB look like obvious places for improvement with CB/S/ILB on its heels.

Right now what they have at WR essentially looks like Moss, Wes and some junkpile talent to compete in camp. And they have no clear plan at OLB outside of platooning.

I wouldn't be terrified of heading into the season with a Bruschi Guyton platoon inside. But OLB scares me a little.

Between Springs, Bodden, Hobbs and Wheatley, I would be shocked if they weren't fielding a better CB crew than last season. But that is smoke and mirrors simply because the only long term guy is Springs and he is 34. And a couple rooks, one of which has a bionic wrist.

So they have a good start, and can go in any number of directions in the draft.

It should be fun.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I like Know. There just isn't much to sya. I doubt anyone in NE (let alone this board) has ever seen Abilene Christian play a game. LOL.

But yeah, the fastest wideout in the draft? That is what late second day selections are for. Finding random freak athletes and seeing if they can be turned into NFL football players.

I would be happy if they got him in the sixth or fifth.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I wouldn't cut LeVoir, but that is just me. I thought he performed well enough last season in spots to be considered a good backup.

I think Slater's fate depends on who they get down the road. Andhow he develops. If NE drafts a position player who also does special teams, he is practicing for money.

I don't think they can cut "Guts" until they have a replacement. Guts will never be an NFL QB. So bringing in a vet to sandqich between Brady and O'Connel sounds goo. Or maby draft another guy late like Brandstater. But NE needs three Qbs.

And my gut tells me that Redd will end up practicing again. He really was an emergency call up anyway.

I honestly want NE to cut ties with the Spann's, Alexanders and Ventrone's of the world. NE needs to upgrade its depth. In that past they had NFL caliber players waiting, and last season they didn't.

The Cb crew already looks upgraded, as I said. Hobbs, Springs, Bodden, Wheatley and Wilhite (at least for one season) is not eye popping with stars, but is probably as deep a crew as you will find.

Much better than last season when O'neal and Hobbs were #1 and #2 and W-squared were rooks. Add one more talent please!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Draft 4

I could see it playing out as follows:

3 QB: Tom Brady, Matt Gutierrez, Kevin O’Connell
    5 RB: Laurence Maroney, Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk, BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    5 WR: Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Greg Lewis, Joey Galloway, Sam Aiken
    3 TE: Ben Watson, Chris Baker, David Thomas
    4 OT: Matt Light, Nick Kaczur, Ryan O’Callaghan, Mark Levoir
    5 G/C: Dan Koppen, Stephen Neal, Logan Mankins, Billy Yates, Ross Hochstein
    6 DL: Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Mike Wright, Jarvis Green, Le Kevin Smith
    4 OLB: Adalius Thomas, Pierre Woods, Shawn Crable, Tully Banta-Cain
    4 ILB: Tedy Bruschi, Jerod Mayo, Gary Guyton, Eric Alexander
    7 DB: Ellis Hobbs, Brandon Meriweather, Shawn Springs, James Sanders, Leigh Bodden, Jonathan Wilhite, Terrence Wheatley
    3 ST: Nathan Hodel, Stephen Gostkowski, Chris Hanson

That leaves 49 players, so there's room on the roster for 4 rookies. Who knows who will end up on the PUP list or even IR, so, in all likelyhood, there will be another rookie or two who make the final 53 and perhaps a fringe player or two.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Kyle,

I agree. Levoir was nothing less than great in the start against Denver at RT.

And he saw considerable action in at least (IIRC) two other dominant offensive performances against the Fins and Raiders.

The only player outside of Light who saves money (significantly) against the cap if cut are Kazcur and Neal. Personally I have always thought of Nick as the Ringo of the offensive line. But that is just me.

I think that Neal has cleared his health hurdle for the time being, so I doubt he is cut. I think he plays through his contract, and maybe they draft someone behind him. Heis likely the most underrated lineman there.

But Kazcur is a mono-tasker. He can't flip inside well to play guard, and certainly isn't a LT. So maybe if NE adds a first day tackle, maybe one with LT upside, Kazcur is the odd man out and they use Levoir day to day and bring alone a new kid?

Maybe none get cut. But from what I see, Levoir is a bargain at vet min. The exact type of OL that doesn't work so well in other offenses, but can carve out a niche here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Yep, the mandate for speed. I was hoping they would go this way after 2007, because it was obvious that the big slow 3-4 they had been running, was out of date.

I just don't think a middle four of Vrabel, Bruschi and McGinest (and the flavor of the month beside Bruschi) would be as effective.

Although there are different kinds of speed, so it is hard to judge, especially for pass rushers. So it is hard to pigeon hole one guy. Matthews, Barwin, Johnson seem to be the fastest of the group.

I like Barwin the most, but Johnson is a special player, becuase unlike the others I could see him being a top-notch defensive end as well. Which means he is the kind of multi-tasker NE likes. And despite his size, when he decides to play he isn't half bad in space. In fact, much better than some more compact players.

Depending on what they address, if Johnson is sitting pretty late in the second it is mighty hard to pass him up. Athough like Sean Smith, I think he is a player that might be valued more on draft day than he is by scouts right now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I would also add that Johnson seemed insulted that people questioned his determination. FWIW, that is a little better than leaving the combine and showing up at pro-day overweight. LOL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Draft 4

After watching lots of youtube on all the CB's:

Jenkins, V Davis. These 2 have the larger frame, but don't have the athletic ability and smooth change of direction that you need to be a very good corner. Both are better suited for safety. Not worthwhile @ #23.

A Smith, D Butler: I like Butler the best. Slightly taller than A Smith and Wheatly/Whilhiute. Excellent athelete and good tackler. I would take Butler @ #34, no questions asked. I'm not sure that I would take A Smith, even though he might have the best instincts for the ball. How is A Smith any different than Wheatly? If he's there @ #58, then maybe.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft 4

White intrigues me to no end but would the Pats use him in the dual capacity that we see him in? Most of us would want to have Brady in no matter what the circumstance. I don't see him in a Pats taking him. 2C is the place to get him too. It's too bad really.

Nice job Kyle. It does give on a clue as to where this thing might take us. The Pats try to fix the roster before the draft so they don't have to depend on the draft to fill holes. That way they can draft the best player on their board without temptation to reach for a player that fills a roster spot. But one can see where improvement can be made by listing the roster.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 4

Right now what they have at WR essentially looks like Moss, Wes and some junkpile talent to compete in camp. And they have no clear plan at OLB outside of platooning.

Z,

You don't feel that Lewis, a guy with equal/greater speed to Washington who actually caught passes at the position of WR is an upgrade at 4th/5th WR and special teams?

You don't want to give Galloway the benefit of the doubt w/ his injured '08 season that he can return to '07 form? Yes he will be 37 instead of 35, but he will asked to be the 3rd WR, not 1st/2nd, and will be getting passes from Brady...

I personally would rather have Galloway/Lewis, it is not like Gaffney/Wash left for THAT much more money.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 4

But Kazcur is a mono-tasker. He can't flip inside well to play guard, and certainly isn't a LT. So maybe if NE adds a first day tackle, maybe one with LT upside, Kazcur is the odd man out and they use Levoir day to day and bring alone a new kid?

I agree with that

Kaczur has not gotten better in 3 years now. Levoir showed something last year that says if they can save even 500k by keeping him over Kaczur they should do it.

I am all for getting an OT in one of our fist two picks. Oher at 23 or Britton/Beatty at 34. He'd be somebody who could be in the RT mix in '09 w/ OCal/Levoir... hopefully win that starter job outright, and be mixed in at LT, esp. on passing downs, to keep Light fresh and save him from the power rush of athletic DE's from time to time. Then he'd be projected as the starter at LT in '10 and Light could restructure and move to RT or be cut and save like 6m.

Hochstein is still fine behind Mankins/Coppen, who are just 1 year removed from the pro-bowl. I'd like a OG drafted with 1 of 3C/4th/5C to push Yates and provide solid insurance for Neal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 4

Ok fair enough

We are to assume Moss/Welker will stay at '07/'08 levels

Then I feel Lewis is a speed threat who will do much more on offense than Washington did and replace his special team contributions at the same time... if that means he catches 20-30 balls w/ 2-3 TD's w/ speed that opens up the field for Moss/Welker... while doing the solid special teams job he did in Philly... he will be an upgrade/great as our 4th WR

I was all over Robiskie/Britt/Iglesias at 47/58 before the Galloway signing, Galloway was hurt in '08 and yes he is old... but his #'s in '07 as a starter were great... if healthy shouldn't we expect 40-50 catches and 3-4 TD's? That certainly replaces Gaffney.

Due to JG's age/injury we should draft a WR.. one who hopefully has the talent to catch 25-35 balls if Galloway is hurt and outplay Aiken... but that guy should come in the 3rd/4th rd now... IMO there is no need to use a 2nd rd pick on a WR anymore, but if we do I will be excited for the offense and hope it doesn't come at the expense of the D