Draft 4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]
    Right now what they have at WR essentially looks like Moss, Wes and some junkpile talent to compete in camp. And they have no clear plan at OLB outside of platooning.

Z,

You don't feel that Lewis, a guy with equal/greater speed to Washington who actually caught passes at the position of WR is an upgrade at 4th/5th WR and special teams?

You don't want to give Galloway the benefit of the doubt w/ his injured '08 season that he can return to '07 form? Yes he will be 37 instead of 35, but he will asked to be the 3rd WR, not 1st/2nd, and will be getting passes from Brady...

I personally would rather have Galloway/Lewis, it is not like Gaffney/Wash left for THAT much more money.[/Quote]

I don't know. Let's see how they turn out in camp. Galloway is really old. Athletes can flat out hit a wall at that age.

Lewis has to prove he can be more than an auxilliary reciever.

They are both great signings because they cost nothing, I assume.

But it should'nt stand in the way of getting younger, and I actually think it demonstrates that NE might be thinking of getting younger.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Here's an article breaking down the Pats needs after all the free agency signings, by position. From CBS Sportsline:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11505515

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 4

Z did you find out about the Jarvis Green bonus situation... how much does cutting him save on the cap?

cutting him, if it means getting Jason Taylor and then drafting a versatile DE in rd's 3/4, would be a good move IMO

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I would say this. Yes, the defense has more holes. But NE essentially drafted all defensive players last season. You cannot go two whole drafts without taking some offensive talent, be it at OL, WR, or RB.

It is just a very unbalanced way to build a team for the future, and down the road NE has holes coming up at OG x2, OT, TE, and WR. And they could arguably stand to upgrade at RB.

So there should be a mix. I would just tend to think that you attack where you have needs and where the draft is deep. This is the second strong WR draft in a row, and is even better than last season. If there is a Desean Jackson in the wings here, you take him. It is also strong at OLB/DE, and at OT. Those sound like good spots to hit up. At least to me.

I would add safety and corner, because NE needs to accept that they are not going to have Hobbs and Bodden next season in 2010. One maybe, two . . . never. Unless they feel comfortable with old silk wrist and whichever of Bodden and Hobbs they get inked.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

He played a lot of snaps last season, his most in fact. So I assume it is vested by now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 4

Yeah Z I hear you that we can't assume a 37 yr old will be healthy. I'd like to see us use a 3rd/4th rd pick on a WR.. maybe a 5th... but I don't know if a 5th rd rook will be able to beat out Aiken, and he should not be counted on to step right and if Galloway is hurt/can't match Gaffney's job

ardorambone, good article, thanks

WR: They have the best 1-2 combination in the league in Randy Moss and Wes Welker. Moss does the deep work, Welker the underneath stuff. They lost third receiver Jabar Gaffney in free agency to the Broncos, so somebody has to emerge there. They traded for Greg Lewis and signed veteran Joey Galloway, but I look for them to find a receiver in this draft.

Need meter: Need depth

Need depth sums it up

Article also say we still need a strating CB, but calls James Sanders a "fine" starting safety but says we need a strating CB. I'd say it is the other way around. Between Springs/Hobbs/Wheat/Wilhite we can have a fine starting CB nxt to Bodden but need a better safety.

pass rushing OLB has to be addressed

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 4

I don't believe we have issues at TE either... if we draft a TE it better be a guy like Pettigrew slipping into the 2nd rd, or a good blocking TE slipping at another spot. Seems like guys like Cook/Coffman on day 1 will be more pass catching guys, and one more year of Thomas as the 3rd TE in that role is fine.

But if we went into the season w/ Redd and Crable as the starting ROLB and a healthy Galloway and Lewis as the starting 3rd WR I would agree we the analysts that say we have a much bigger hole @ OLB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft 4

I think that Lb and Safety need the most attention.Lb well that speaks for it's self. Safety I just don't think Sanders is the answer but with the 3 year deal. They may like him more than I do.

I just don't see how more people don't see TE as a problem area. Dave Thomas is nothing more than a backup. If not for the call at Indy. We would not know he played last year. Watson is known more for drops than plays. I think we take one of Pettigrew,Cook,Coffman,or Casey. Maybe we take Barwin as the blocking TE/OLB. We also used Hochstein/Vrable as blockers last year in the BIG packages. People here say that Baker is more of a blocker but that's not what reports on him say.

I think Lewis will be used different than people think. Lewis works well the over the middle. If Lewis or Baker work out to be sure handed mid level threats. That will open up coverages,help the run and the deep ball while saving hits on Faulk and Welker.

We all can see that Galloway at 37 and the one year deal is not the long term solution for a deep threat opposite Moss. So someone to bring along is a good choice this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

this board never updates, never had this problem with the old one

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

New Mock

#23 Clay Matthews
    #34 Patrick Chung
    #47 Brian Robiskie
    #58 Clint Stinm
    #89 Fenuki Tupoui
    3C Coye Francis

4 Brenard Scott
    5C Andy Kemp
    6 TRADE
    6C Devin Moore
    7 BA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Cushing weighs 243, at 6'3". He seems pretty maxed out, naturally or otherwise. Barwin weighs 256 at 6'4", and moves even more smoothly. Definitely the better natural athlete.

Cushing seems like a candidate for a Ted Johnson-esque, steroid induced bicep tear.

Barwin would also be a better fit inside next to Mayo, at least from a physical standpoint. He could also better line up as an end in a 4-3.

Depending on who else steps up among the young Patriot linebackers, Barwin seems to have the size and natural ability to move around as needed.

If Cushing weighed 255 it might be different story, though I know he has much more experience and is more proven than Barwin.

Mathews doesn't seem to have much physical upside either.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

update board

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 4

Barwin is versatile but definitely not a better fit inside than outside. Physically he is the prototypical 3-4 outside linebacker. Matthews and Cushing, on the other hand, look like better fits inside. Matthews is very athletic but he's not a natural 240, he had to body build his way to that weight, and looking at him, he looks like a biceps tear waiting to happen.

I may be optimistic but I really see Barwin as a potential 12-15 sacks per year OLB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 4

Barwin is def my choice over Cushing, but he is a TE convert to DE who could project at OLB... how do you have him inside next to Mayo?

One mock I like is Barwin/English/Matthews at OLB, Sintim if he's there at 47 (doubt he last till 58) as an ILB and Delmas/S.Smith or Chung @ 34. Then maybe a WR like Iglesias/Nicks @ 58 or OT Loadholdt/OG Livitre/Robinson.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

I don't project Barwin inside, and don't think Crable or Woods will outplay him outside. I guess my point is that I'd rather have a 255 pound inside linebacker than another 240 pound ILB next to Mayo.

I agree Barwin is a perfect fit outside. I'm not sure how many 240 pound linebackers we want on the field at once.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Faucet, perfect mock! If somebody like Vontae Davis were there at 23, that could throw things off, but maybe not. Maybe Barwin will be there at 34, and I guess the Dolphins at 25 are the biggest threat to take him.

Vontae Davis and Michael Johnson or Connor Barwin and Al Smith. Tough choice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 4

So what do you guys think of this from:

The trade that sent Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel to the Kansas City Chiefs appears to be only the first phase of some major wheeling and dealing by the New England Patriots this offseason.

The second phase, NFL sources say, is likely to involve a trade that would send Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers to the Patriots in exchange for the second-round pick (34th overall) they received from the Chiefs on Feb. 28.

According to league sources, the Patriots and Panthers are hoping to complete the deal at some point between the March 22-25 NFL owners meetings and the start of the draft on April 25.

read whole article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f48fa8&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I think this would be a good deal if its for only #34.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 4

From the same article: Also, according to NFL sources, there is a third phase to the Patriots' offseason strategy. They would like to further beef up their linebacking corps by adding an inside linebacker in the draft. They are known to believe that USC's Rey Maualuga would be a great fit for their scheme, especially when paired with Jerod Mayo, their 2008 first-round pick who was the NFL's top defensive rookie. However, some early projections suggest it might be a long shot for Maualuga to be available for the Patriots with the 23rd overall pick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 4

Faucet -

I just really can't see any of the first 4 picks going WR in light of the bad taste of Jackson and Johnson. I think BB learned his lesson the hard way, and unless you're loking at a Calvin Johnson, it's just not worth spending a 1 or 2 on a WR.

BTW, NFL Radio just announced that NE and CAR are working on a trade - Peppers for the #34 pick with Peppers to play OLB. VERY INTERESTING!!!!!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]From the same article: Also, according to NFL sources, there is a third phase to the Patriots' offseason strategy. They would like to further beef up their linebacking corps by adding an inside linebacker in the draft. They are known to believe that USC's Rey Maualuga would be a great fit for their scheme, especially when paired with Jerod Mayo, their 2008 first-round pick who was the NFL's top defensive rookie. However, some early projections suggest it might be a long shot for Maualuga to be available for the Patriots with the 23rd overall pick.[/Quote]

As I suggested earlier in this thread, don't be surprised to see one of the second rounders dealt with #23 to move up in the first to pick someone BB has his eye on - perhaps Maualuga fits that bill. We don't have enough room on the roster for all of these FA signings as well as 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 4

So, regarding moving around the picks to target specific players, here is a fun table based on the NFL Value chart:

Pick #23 #34 #47 #58 #89
    #23 760 1320 1190 1080 905
    #34 1320 560 990 880 705
    #47 1190 990 430 750 575
    #58 1080 880 750 320 465
    #89 905 705 575 465 145

Pick Value

10 1300

12 1200

15 1050

16 1000

18 900

19 875

24 740

26 700

33 580

43 470

So this means the Pats can pretty much get anyone from pick 10 on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

Seems like we will be getting Peppers, BB will only execute this move if he can sign him to a long term deal, thus eliminating the need for a OLB early. I say we trade #23 and #58 and jump the Chargers to select Mauluga. A new mock...

#15 Rey Mauluga
    #47 Patrick Chung
    #89 Fenuki Tupoui
    3C Coye Francies

4 Brenard Scott
    5C Andy Kemp
    6 TRADE
    6C Johnny Knox
    7 TRADE

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Yes, it seems like NE is moving toward the whole taco right now. If they do add Peppers, I don't see any other option out there but to move up for a player like RM.

And then draft the best WR you can find. I think adding Al Johnson solidifies the interior line with untold depth.

The only weaknesses on this team are the edge OL, and maybe RB.

This team is stacked.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

update stupid board

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 4

We could package 58 and 23 to move to 15 just ahead of SD and get RM. Give us Peppers on the strongside OLB spot with Mayo, Rey Maualuga and A, Thomas and we'd have the most fearsome LB crew of any 3-4 team in the history of the NFL. We'd still have #47 to land a WR.

Awesome plan

I would look to Chung/Moore/Beatty before a WR @ 47... but yeah a Robiskie/Britt at 47 and Rashad Johnson @ 89 would be real nice, we can look for O-line @ 3C and/or 4th