Draft 4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

New Mock

#23 Clay Matthews
    #34 Patrick Chung
    #47 Brian Robiskie
    #58 Clint Stinm
    #89 Fenuki Tupoui
    3C Coye Francis

4 Brenard Scott
    5C Andy Kemp
    6 TRADE
    6C Devin Moore
    7 BA

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Cushing weighs 243, at 6'3". He seems pretty maxed out, naturally or otherwise. Barwin weighs 256 at 6'4", and moves even more smoothly. Definitely the better natural athlete.

Cushing seems like a candidate for a Ted Johnson-esque, steroid induced bicep tear.

Barwin would also be a better fit inside next to Mayo, at least from a physical standpoint. He could also better line up as an end in a 4-3.

Depending on who else steps up among the young Patriot linebackers, Barwin seems to have the size and natural ability to move around as needed.

If Cushing weighed 255 it might be different story, though I know he has much more experience and is more proven than Barwin.

Mathews doesn't seem to have much physical upside either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

update board

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 4

Barwin is versatile but definitely not a better fit inside than outside. Physically he is the prototypical 3-4 outside linebacker. Matthews and Cushing, on the other hand, look like better fits inside. Matthews is very athletic but he's not a natural 240, he had to body build his way to that weight, and looking at him, he looks like a biceps tear waiting to happen.

I may be optimistic but I really see Barwin as a potential 12-15 sacks per year OLB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

I don't project Barwin inside, and don't think Crable or Woods will outplay him outside. I guess my point is that I'd rather have a 255 pound inside linebacker than another 240 pound ILB next to Mayo.

I agree Barwin is a perfect fit outside. I'm not sure how many 240 pound linebackers we want on the field at once.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Faucet, perfect mock! If somebody like Vontae Davis were there at 23, that could throw things off, but maybe not. Maybe Barwin will be there at 34, and I guess the Dolphins at 25 are the biggest threat to take him.

Vontae Davis and Michael Johnson or Connor Barwin and Al Smith. Tough choice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 4

So what do you guys think of this from:

The trade that sent Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel to the Kansas City Chiefs appears to be only the first phase of some major wheeling and dealing by the New England Patriots this offseason.

The second phase, NFL sources say, is likely to involve a trade that would send Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers to the Patriots in exchange for the second-round pick (34th overall) they received from the Chiefs on Feb. 28.

According to league sources, the Patriots and Panthers are hoping to complete the deal at some point between the March 22-25 NFL owners meetings and the start of the draft on April 25.

read whole article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f48fa8&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I think this would be a good deal if its for only #34.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 4

From the same article: Also, according to NFL sources, there is a third phase to the Patriots' offseason strategy. They would like to further beef up their linebacking corps by adding an inside linebacker in the draft. They are known to believe that USC's Rey Maualuga would be a great fit for their scheme, especially when paired with Jerod Mayo, their 2008 first-round pick who was the NFL's top defensive rookie. However, some early projections suggest it might be a long shot for Maualuga to be available for the Patriots with the 23rd overall pick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 4

Faucet -

I just really can't see any of the first 4 picks going WR in light of the bad taste of Jackson and Johnson. I think BB learned his lesson the hard way, and unless you're loking at a Calvin Johnson, it's just not worth spending a 1 or 2 on a WR.

BTW, NFL Radio just announced that NE and CAR are working on a trade - Peppers for the #34 pick with Peppers to play OLB. VERY INTERESTING!!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]From the same article: Also, according to NFL sources, there is a third phase to the Patriots' offseason strategy. They would like to further beef up their linebacking corps by adding an inside linebacker in the draft. They are known to believe that USC's Rey Maualuga would be a great fit for their scheme, especially when paired with Jerod Mayo, their 2008 first-round pick who was the NFL's top defensive rookie. However, some early projections suggest it might be a long shot for Maualuga to be available for the Patriots with the 23rd overall pick.[/Quote]

As I suggested earlier in this thread, don't be surprised to see one of the second rounders dealt with #23 to move up in the first to pick someone BB has his eye on - perhaps Maualuga fits that bill. We don't have enough room on the roster for all of these FA signings as well as 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 4

So, regarding moving around the picks to target specific players, here is a fun table based on the NFL Value chart:

Pick #23 #34 #47 #58 #89
    #23 760 1320 1190 1080 905
    #34 1320 560 990 880 705
    #47 1190 990 430 750 575
    #58 1080 880 750 320 465
    #89 905 705 575 465 145

Pick Value

10 1300

12 1200

15 1050

16 1000

18 900

19 875

24 740

26 700

33 580

43 470

So this means the Pats can pretty much get anyone from pick 10 on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

Seems like we will be getting Peppers, BB will only execute this move if he can sign him to a long term deal, thus eliminating the need for a OLB early. I say we trade #23 and #58 and jump the Chargers to select Mauluga. A new mock...

#15 Rey Mauluga
    #47 Patrick Chung
    #89 Fenuki Tupoui
    3C Coye Francies

4 Brenard Scott
    5C Andy Kemp
    6 TRADE
    6C Johnny Knox
    7 TRADE

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Yes, it seems like NE is moving toward the whole taco right now. If they do add Peppers, I don't see any other option out there but to move up for a player like RM.

And then draft the best WR you can find. I think adding Al Johnson solidifies the interior line with untold depth.

The only weaknesses on this team are the edge OL, and maybe RB.

This team is stacked.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

update stupid board

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

That is on top of feilding RM, Mayo,Thomas, Peppers, Wilfork, Warren and Sey for the best 3-4 in the NFL.

2009 defense could be like the 2007 offense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

Tupoui is an OT

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Draft 4

titletown, that's a draft worthy of cold six-pack.... pun intended!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Draft 4

The more I watch Chung, the more I like him better than all the other safeties.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I agree. I think whoever passes on Chung is passing on a special talent. I will stick to those guns.

I have been wrong before on thesecalls, but i have also been right. And when I can watch a kid I feel like I can make an eval. Chung is one of those players whose game will translate very, very well to the NFL.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

I agree with you about Chung, pats-fan, but I'm beginning to think that if Robiskie is still there at 47, we grab him. He could develop into an excellent #2 down the road.

Of course, I'd prefer a hard-hitting safety to play the intimidator role in our defense, but assuming we trade up for RM, that might just be overkill.

You know, I'm okay with that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Personally, I would love Chung at 47. But I see NE going in another direction.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I see nothing in Robiskie that says he couldn't be a #1. The WR draft is terribly deep this season.

6'3" and 4.47 with good hands can translate into a special player.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

That is if they do not package players to get RM. Then yes. All told, I wouldn't mind hanginng on to #58 and using it. Or packaging it out to next season in some trade.

So next season NE could have . . .
    #whatever
    and

haha

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Crazy idea. What if we target Michael Johnson and let him learn from Peppers? We could use the platoon of Bruschi/Guton until Bruschi can't keep going, whereupon we bring back Seau for a SB run, and then next year address the ILB position by drafting Brandon Spikes.

Wow. That sounded a lot more plausible in my head. *grin*

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

I am watching Florida closely next season. I am really interested in how Spikes fairs as a senior. But I love his game.

Sections
Shortcuts