Draft 4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Yeah, I think Peppers would just be thrown at all the time, and I think Johnson would just be run at all the time. Barwin seems like he could stop the run and smother in coverage, but he's probably not as good a pass rusher as Johnson.

I'm starting to like Harvin more and more at #23. This offense could be just as good as '07 with him, and he could assume Faulk's, Welker's, or the #3 receiver role as needed, not to mention return kicks.

Hopefully we can get Jason Taylor, and just take best OLB available at 34.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 4

If we go for Peppers I won't be upset, but I'd like to package Green in the Peppers deal and that saves us 5m for him, 1m for pick #34, and then you give Peppers a long term deal that pays him only 7-9m in '09 and then the next season(s) is uncapped and we arrange it accordingly

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Draft 4

but I still like Spikes better than Maualuga, so I'd be happy to pick him up next year.

I love Spikes and wanted him to come out this year, but wouldn't you think we'd have no shot at him picking 28-32 next year?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 4

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 4

If LB is the heart of a 3-4 DEF then NE is kinda in trouble. So here is the current roster:

Oldie (used to be Goldie)
    Bruschi (will be targeted by offenses)
    Solid:
    AD- Solid (health/seal the edge???)
    Mayo- Solid (Developing)
    High Hopes:
    Guyton- ??? (Developing)
    Secial Teamers (Keepin' it real)
    TBC
    Alexander
    Woods

I say take a shot a fixin this:
    Get Jtaylor (for a yr) over Peppers-no draft pick cost.
    #23 - Barwin
    #34 - English
    #47 - Chung
    #58 - Robiskie
    #89 - Brinkley

Then taylor/Bruschi can groom barwin/English/Brinkley for 1 yr before they are expected to start. 1or2 should pan out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]but I still like Spikes better than Maualuga, so I'd be happy to pick him up next year.

I love Spikes and wanted him to come out this year, but wouldn't you think we'd have no shot at him picking 28-32 next year?[/Quote]

Do you really see many holes in our team next year? I don't, not after the draft we're likely to have this year. I'd rather package a few picks and move up for a talent like him, and use this year to focus on getting impact players in other positions.

But that's just me, and maybe that's not sustainable long term. *shrug*

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 4

arodrambone, how do you figure that Johnson is a better pass rusher than Barwin? Barwin had 11 sacks last year in his first year as a defensive player to Johnson's 9, and Johnson has been criticized by some for putting up his numbers against some of the poorer competition he faced.

Johnson is definitely an intriguing player though somewhere in round 2.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Did you forget we have Crable, Redd, and Ruud? I don't know about you, but I think we've already got some good prospects. I really, really like Crable. No way we pick up two outside linebackers in this draft. One, most likely, but not two.

Brinkley is a possibility, admittedly, but I'm starting to like Mauga better (faster, better in coverage, better production in college, played through injury, likes taking on guards at LOS, etc).

No one argues that we need quality linebackers, but let's not panic and throw warm bodies at the problem. Just because the person plays the position doesn't mean he plays it well, and I think we need to focus on impact players, not simply mediocre depth (which we already have).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Draft 4

Reamer
    You're right, I missed Crable and Ruud. So Crables goes under High Hopes and Ruud realistically is at best ST. Still that is too many unkowns.

I agree with you that might be worth going for a sure(rer) thing with Maualuga even if it means packaging some picks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft 4

We have no clue who put on weight or who looks like they've done the best in terms of off-season conditioning (Crable OLB, Wilhite CB, Guyton ILB etc..) and, rest assured, Belichick does. I see Ruud and Redd as STers right now. I like the picks we have even if we don't get Peppers (highly likely). With a draft like Barwin, Chung, Brinkley and OL we could see 3 or 4 potential starters in the future and this is cause for optimism right there. The Whole Peppers thing is becoming akin to the trade up and get Mc Fadden thing. Mc Fadden did not happen and we still have a great team. If the Peppers deal does not happen the Pats brass has still made the acquisitions necessary to field a great team (Bodden, Springs, Lewis, Galloway, Taylor). As Pats fans we should be very happy with the acquisitions we have made already; couple that with Brady's continued good health and that makes for great pre-draft off-season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Good point about the offseason. I know that workouts started up again for the Patriots this week, and I'm dying to know how the players are doing. I think we could see a huge jump in production this year from our rookies and 2nd year players.

The best news? Tom Brady is back!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft 4

Cowlick
    Barwin may very well have to be taken at #23. Because of the Fins. As for moving up for players. I just don't see it.(just Me) Say #23 and#58 could very well turn into Barwin/English and Stimn/Robiskie. I just don't think Maualuga or any one player has the impact that 2 can make. This is a deep draft not a strong or stand out draft. Unless we were talking Curry. Maualuga is hard to give up on though. Seau part 2 would suck to miss but the ?'s make it to much risk. I myself hope we use all the early picks. No trade ups no trading for next year. The last few drafts have not been so deep. Maybe this is the draft BB has waited for.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sveltics. Show Sveltics's posts

Draft 4

I agree with many on this thread that BB will not draft 6 players on the first day. No place on the roster, for sure.

A combination of trading up on the clock to 18-20, in order to get whomever BB and Co. have targeted will shed one 2nd round pick.

I think he then keeps the other 2 2nd round picks if value is still there and trade the third round picks for 2nds next year, if he can.

Of course, if Peppers is acquired....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]If LB is the heart of a 3-4 DEF then NE is kinda in trouble. So here is the current roster:

Oldie (used to be Goldie)
    Bruschi (will be targeted by offenses)
    Solid:
    AD- Solid (health/seal the edge???)
    Mayo- Solid (Developing)
    High Hopes:
    Guyton- ??? (Developing)
    Secial Teamers (Keepin' it real)
    TBC
    Alexander
    Woods

I say take a shot a fixin this:
    Get Jtaylor (for a yr) over Peppers-no draft pick cost.
    #23 - Barwin
    #34 - English
    #47 - Chung
    #58 - Robiskie
    #89 - Brinkley

Then taylor/Bruschi can groom barwin/English/Brinkley for 1 yr before they are expected to start. 1or2 should pan out.

[/Quote]

I can't argue too much with the pics, only one I would look at twice is at #58 if Max Unger is still on the board I think you take him there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Draft 4

Our most obvious first concern might be OLB, but the crop of OLB's especaly with the quality difference from 3-6 (3 clay mathews, 4 larry english, 5 connor barwin, 6 clint stintim) not being too much, our first pick should be ILB being that the drop of from 2nd to 3rd being quite large.(2 james laurinaitis,62 darry beckwith). This being said I also beleive the Pats pick best available player in each draft slot. With this in mind I will attempt to suggest all picks for the pats round 1-7 and these picks will all be picked in the area of there projected draft rank.( would be nice to pick all the prospects we want, where we want, but that is not how it works out). 1#23 James Laurinaitis ILB rank 2 6'2" 244 lb 4.78 40. 2#34 Larry English OLB rank 4 6'2" 255 4.82 40. 3#47 Patrick Chung SS rank 1 5'11" 212 4.49 40. 4#58 Duke Robinson OG rank 1 6'5" 329 5.32 40,(two time all american). 5#89 Shawn Nelson TE rank 5 6'5" 240 4.52 40 (good hands,speed, and blocker). 6#comp.pick (for Samuel) Morgan Trent CB rank 15 6'1" 193 4.5 40 (good instincts,hands,tackler). 7 #24 in 4th Mike Goodson RB rank 10 6' 208 4.47 40 (good speed, Aggies 2nd leading receiver 07, Falk replacement?) 8 #23 in 5th Tony Fiammetta FB rank 1 6' 245 4.58 (good hands,size,special teamer). 9 #comp. pick (for stallworth) Sebastian Vollmer OT rank 16 6'7 314 5.27 40(confrence USA 1st teamer,left tackle projet, PS). 10#26 in 6th Keven Huber P rank 1 6'1" 220 4.87 40 (46.9 yd.aver. never been blocked,great directional kicks and hangtime (Pats always looking at kickers). 11 # comp. pick (for Gay) Lyndon Murtha OT rank 19 6'7" 306 4.82 40. 12#25 in 7th Dominique Edison WR 6'2" 204 4.43 40 (good size, decent speed and hands).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Here's an interesting article about the 10 yard splits of the OLB prospects in this draft:
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/03/behind-the-times-the-10-yard-split/

1. Matthews
    2. Maybin
    3. Barwin

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 4

m

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Maybin ran a 4.59 today at his pro day:
    http://blog.pennlive.com/bobflounders/2009/03/maybin_significantly_lowers_40.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]but I still like Spikes better than Maualuga, so I'd be happy to pick him up next year.

I love Spikes and wanted him to come out this year, but wouldn't you think we'd have no shot at him picking 28-32 next year?[/Quote]

Right now yes. But then last season it would be laughable to think Maualuga would be around in the mid teans, and here he is. He simply didn't make the plays as a senior that he needed to in order to stick the top-10 ranking.

So let's see how Florida does next season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]Maybin ran a 4.59 today at his pro day:
    http://blog.pennlive.com/bobflounders/2009/03/maybin_significantly_lowers_40.html[/Quote]

I told everyone he would. He is an explosive fast kid. If you watch him, he really does have Freeney type speed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Apparently Harvin was sensational at his pro day. He'd make a really tempting pick at 23.

Harvin and Barwin. Kinda has a ring to it. *grin*

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Draft 4

I was looking at Louis Delma, does anyone know much about him? I looked at his stats, looks pretty good player but I think he's falling in most mocks. What's the knock on this guy?

23rd Barwin why not? And Harvin will not be there at 12 never mind 23rd. He's going to Al Davis and the Raiders.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Draft 4

I am confused about all the attention Clay Mathews is getting.

He had a great combine. Gary Guyton had a great combine.

Would someone explain to me how Mathews is a 1st round pick?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Draft 4

I've seen a few video clips of Louis Delmas. Good player, but on the small side.

Not a 1st/ early 2nd pick IMHO.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]I am confused about all the attention Clay Mathews is getting.

He had a great combine. Gary Guyton had a great combine.

Would someone explain to me how Mathews is a 1st round pick?
    [/Quote]

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/130202-clay-matthews-becomes-a-first-round-name

We might be talking about this guy been best LB in the 2009 draft 5 years from now.

Sections
Shortcuts